PDA

View Full Version : Happy Thanksgiving!

jedi master sal
11-22-2006, 01:17 PM
Have a safe, fun filled food filled, football filled...Thanksgiving!

I'm loking forward to the Turkey tryptophan induced sleep!

-Sal

JediTricks
11-22-2006, 02:36 PM
If you fill a football full of food, it won't fly very far.

El Chuxter
11-22-2006, 02:44 PM
Yeah. I tried that once. It splattered.

Kidhuman
11-22-2006, 05:11 PM
I pooped in a football once, or was that my shower?

Jargo
11-22-2006, 07:06 PM
Happy turkey shafting day.

those poor wee turkies........

figrin bran
11-22-2006, 10:09 PM
i have to work tomorrow and the next day. there's nothing happy about that!

bobafrett
11-22-2006, 10:09 PM
I'm meeting my girlfriends parents for the first time. Yikes!!!!!!! I'm so lovable.

Rocketboy
11-22-2006, 10:19 PM
I'm looking forward to DOMINATING my brother-in-law at the dinner table yet again.
After watching the Lions/Dolphins game I'll watch the pros play football.

Mad Slanted Powers
11-22-2006, 11:26 PM
:crazed: GOBBLES! :crazed:

2-1B
11-22-2006, 11:42 PM
I'm looking forward to DOMINATING my brother-in-law at the dinner table yet again.
After watching the Lions/Dolphins game I'll watch the pros play football.

Surely you can't be referring to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. :confused:

Rocketboy
11-23-2006, 12:13 AM
They have a better record than Detroit.

kool-aid killer
11-23-2006, 12:21 AM
Happy Thanksgiving. What im grateful for:

Socks
Avatar the Last Airbender Fruit Snacks
My dogs pooper scooper
Toast
Nintendo

In that order too.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-23-2006, 09:25 AM
Have a safe, fun filled food filled, football filled...Thanksgiving!

I'm loking forward to the Turkey tryptophan induced sleep!

-SalI heard on a Discovery Channel/History Channel/Food Network/VH1 (obviously my powers of observation are... uh, good?) episode that it isn't the trip-toe-fan that makes you tired, it's a carbohydrate high. "Dude... I'm so wasted on turkey!" - Spicoli Pilgrim Jr. :o And if it's on the TV, it must be true. :yes: Right?

So, all you wear your giant buckles with pilgrim's pride, tell everybody that you call it "maize," and that a tiny ship sailing across a rough ocean rocks!

El Chuxter
11-23-2006, 10:26 AM
I'm thankful for Slicker's Mom.

Thankful that she lives across the country, that is.

InsaneJediGirl
11-23-2006, 11:02 AM
Happy Thanksgiving :)

I'm thankful no relatives are over this year

Jedi_Master_Guyute
11-23-2006, 11:16 AM
Happy Thanksgiving folks! Good times thus far: the family is meeting at home (the brothers/kids are all coming in) and much eating and fun shall be head. The 5th annual Turkey Day Eve Drinkathon was last night and I don't recall parts of the evening. It consisted of the usual crew of myself, the brother, his two friends along with a few new members of the group. I didn't get stuck with DD and man, i let it fly! I do remember waking up at 6 am thinking that my streak of never getting sick due to drinking was over. Frankly, i know i was alright until we had mcdonalds at 3 am. Oh well, the streak continues!

Take it easy, kids! :crazed:

Blue2th
11-23-2006, 12:30 PM
I'm on vacation so I'm happy. Though the Christmas decorations have been out for a couple of weeks before Thanksgiving everywhere, I treasure time with family with no hyped up gift giving expectations, and pressure from the consumer culture Christmas. But what do ya do there huh? Just the four F's: Family, Food, and Football and Fu********!!!

2-1B
11-23-2006, 09:34 PM
happy THanksgiving, everybody ! ! !

pegger
11-23-2006, 10:24 PM
Hope you guys had a great Thanksgiving!!!!

Mad Slanted Powers
11-23-2006, 10:44 PM
I heard on a Discovery Channel/History Channel/Food Network/VH1 (obviously my powers of observation are... uh, good?) episode that it isn't the trip-toe-fan that makes you tired, it's a carbohydrate high. "Dude... I'm so wasted on turkey!" - Spicoli Pilgrim Jr. :o And if it's on the TV, it must be true. :yes: Right?

So, all you wear your giant buckles with pilgrim's pride, tell everybody that you call it "maize," and that a tiny ship sailing across a rough ocean rocks!That's a-maize-ing.

I think that whole tryptophan thing is a myth. I don't think I've ever experienced any sort of tiredness. If I do, it's probably just because there is much more going on than a normal day for me.

2-1B
11-24-2006, 09:32 AM
John Madden says it's true, so I believe it is not a myth.

vulcantouch-mom
11-24-2006, 02:47 PM
Ladies & Gentlemen - Happy Gobble-Gobble Day late :hurt:. Mom & I spent the day at the Murphy's and, thanks to my sand flea memory, I had sweet potatoes under a broiler to slightly toast the marshmallows on top that caught fire:shocked: when I forgot about them, having walked into the livingroom to visit with my sister.

It looked like a wanna-be Kilauea, rising amid the lovely golden flames. Wee marshmallows resembled a pile of miniature charcoal briquettes - and I'm blowing yes, blowing, in a dillusional attempt to extinguish the fire. My brother-in-law, Don, his son, Bud, and Bud's girlfriend, Cheryl, were all around the oven w/me and Bud saved the day, grabbing a tea towel and covering it, gingerly enough to extinguish the pyro-potatoes :laugh: and then deftly lifted the towel with the briquettes, uh burned marshmallows away so cleanly, the melted ones and wee pools of butter became the top. I need LOTSA guardian angels.:yes: I think I'd better stick to the Watergate Salad.:yes: There were also pumpkin pies (not mine, thank goodness) with a green tinge to them that tasted odd that were secreted to the 'pick-up' point and no complaints to the nice person who'd worked so hard on them.:lipsrsealed:

I'd never heard about the turkey-snoozy thing, so looked it up. I guess it does work if you either have it on an empty stomach or later at night, before bedtime. Who knew?

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/11/1122_051122_thanksgiving.html

http://www.howstuffworks.com/question519.htm

And all this time, I thought easy sleep came from my depression. :rolleyes:

*burp*

VT-mom :) :) :)

Mad Slanted Powers
11-24-2006, 06:34 PM
The one link echoed what Bel-Cam said about the high carbs. I'm used to eating a lot of carbs, so it is probably not much different for me than any other day. It is a bigger meal than what I usually eat though, and earlier in the day as well. I don't think I have ever had alcohol on Thanksgiving. Sometimes a drink or two on Christmas.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
11-25-2006, 04:32 PM
This was a picture that sort of resembled KH's Thanksgiving.

El Chuxter
11-25-2006, 04:42 PM
Close, but a picture in the bathroom would've been more accurate.

And I think they used Slicker's Mom for the blueprint for the woman holding the KFC bucket in that pic. :eek:

vulcantouch-mom
11-25-2006, 04:58 PM
That's a GOOD one. Norman Rockwell's probably thumping in his grave, laughing at the regional flavor of this new edition. lol I laughed out loud and HAD to show it to my Mom.

Of course, back in the dark ages when I was in grade school (yeah, yeah, Elvis was still alive), they told us people in Boston thought we were still fighting the Indians (oh hey! that's me - YIKES!)

MO TEA SUH?

vt-mom :) :) :)

bobafrett
11-25-2006, 11:01 PM
I had a Thanksgiving where I did not fall asleep right after dinner! Instead I went on a walk with my girlfriend, which kept me from dozing off like I always tend to do. Then her family has a tradition where they go see a Holiday movie, so we saw Santa Clause 3. It was pretty good.

vulcantouch-mom
11-25-2006, 11:42 PM
You and your lady had the right idea there. :love:I just loved the Santa Claus first 2 movies and expect I'd like this one too. Actually, I'm curious about the one with Danny DeVito and Matthew Broderick, who's always reminded me of Jéan, when he was in high school. I saw him in "Max Dugan Returns" and was hooked on the little guy. The only films that upset me with MB in them were "Torchsong Trilogy" and "Glory" because his character is murdered or killed in action. That was always hard to watch.

Tomorrow's Sunday and a big pasta w/sausage dinner is on the menu. My garlic butter's prepped and I can almost smell dinner now. Oh geez, now I'm hungry :yes:

figrin bran
11-26-2006, 02:20 AM
John Madden says it's true, so I believe it is not a myth.

of COURSE it's true if Madden says it! "you eat a bit of turkey and then WHAM! it just knocks you out cold. that's why you gotta pace yourself when you're eating the turkey. you eat a bit at a time and then you take yourself away from the table and you come back and then you're good to go again. now if you're eating turducken, you don't have to worry about any of that stuff because it's got turkey but it's also got duck and chicken and i'm no expert on this but the stuff in the chicken and the stuff in the duck do something to neutralize the turkey and then BAM! there's no side effects when you eat it"

VT Mom, pasta with sausages and garlic butter sounds soooo delicious right now! :thumbsup: :laugh:

vulcantouch-mom
11-26-2006, 08:53 AM
I hope to get home w/o fumes coming out of my head from the Garlic bread, figrin bran.:D BTW, I just LOVE your avatar. That alien always warmed the cockles of my heart, making me think of ET with a flair, having that cute little tilde ("~") for a neck.:yes: Makes me wanna say "Up periscope, down periscope".lol

Yes, I miss the coaching days of "You-won't-take-me-away-in-your-flying-machine" Madden. If anyone here's been told of the ancient - ancient - "Wild Bill Hickock" tv series of the 50's, his sidekick, Jingles was cinema father to him and cinema grandfather to our late funnyman, John Candy.

I didn't know that about the chickies and duckies - good to know ;)

Bye-bye:thumbsup:

figrin bran
11-26-2006, 10:11 PM
V-T mom, that stuff about the ducks and chicken was all made up! ;)

the character from my avatar is a very powerful jedi from the Clone Wars animated series :)

vulcantouch-mom
11-26-2006, 11:41 PM
Oooooooooo, ya got me good there, figrin bran.:yes: I worked with an old Navy guy in Texas who explained the "one yawn triggers another in a different person" phenomenon. When one person yawns, the oxygen balance in the room is lost, so another person yawning takes care of that (in more technical language). Yup, you guessed it. I bought it lock, stock and BIGGGGGGGGGGG YAWN!!!!! He had no idea I'd really believed it and on another day, realizing I had, admitted to having made that up. Yeah, I've always been the gullible one in the family.:o

I'd never seen the animated Star Wars work. There are a few videotapes here. I'll have to check them out.

Y'all come back now, hear?:thumbsup:

figrin bran
11-27-2006, 02:09 AM
I think the "sneezing theory" is more like it. one person sneezes and then it can set off a chain reaction in other people ;)

vulcantouch-mom
11-27-2006, 02:22 AM
balancing the amount of oxygen in the room - what happens when you go outside? It's a wannabe theory :yes:

Now, I've really got to get to sleep - Wayyyyyyyyyyyyy past this old lady's bed-time.

Gnite, Figrin bran:sleeping:

Slicker
11-27-2006, 09:28 AM
I'm late to the game but Happy late Thanksgiving.

I'm thankful that I was home for Thanksgiving. I kinda just strolled into the house uninvited on Thursday morning...I made my mommy cry.:yes:

That made the 21 hour drive all worth it. It's usually 13 but Virginia has the best traffic in the world and basically living on an island connected by tunnels isn't the best, especially when it rains and they shut down some of the tunnels. Ugh...

It was fun though.

JimJamBonds
11-27-2006, 10:47 AM
I'm thankful that I was home for Thanksgiving. I kinda just strolled into the house uninvited on Thursday morning...I made my mommy cry.:yes:

Doesn't sound like your mom as all that thankfull you were there. People cry when they are mad/upset not when they are happy. :D

El Chuxter
11-27-2006, 10:52 AM
Eh, it's Slicker's Mom. I'm going to pass and let someone else make the joke.

:p

Slicker
11-27-2006, 11:26 AM
I should've known better...:p

I thought that since it was the holidays I could let one slip by but apparently not. Duly noted and I won't give you guys the opportunity again.

Kidhuman
11-27-2006, 05:40 PM
She was crying because she thought it was the Grin coming over for some stuffing.

Slicker
11-27-2006, 05:43 PM
She was crying because she thought it was the Grin coming over for some stuffing.For some stuffing or to do some stuffing?

You've gotta clarify. I don't want that to be taken wrong.

Kidhuman
11-27-2006, 05:51 PM
Either way, some stuffing was going down.

vulcantouch-mom
11-27-2006, 05:56 PM
I live with a Mom who cries if the dog pees, so I understand. What's all this about the GRIN and that it's your Mom, etc. Is this a 'guy' thing? You brought the image of the college student coming home early Christmas morning, making coffee and his Mom becoming moist and weepy.

I'm very happy you two had a nice visit. Yer a good son, there, Slicker :yes: .

Oh yeah, nearly forgot, all turkey does is make me fart (Oops! I meant 'break wind'.) Doesn't even wait until I'm asleep:cross-eye