PDA

View Full Version : The Siege!

Tycho
11-23-2006, 02:17 AM
This was an awesome movie! I need to watch it again.

Denzel Washington, Bruce Willis, Annette Bening, with Bill Clinton ;)

Islamic terrorists strike fear into New York and blow up a bus, try and take out a grade school, destroy a Broadway Arts Theater at full capacity, and finally blow up over 600 in the FBI Headquarters in the Federal Building.

Washington plays the lead agent in the FBI while Bening plays the uncoperative CIA agent with contacts in the Islamic underground.

Bruce Willis is the United States Army General that under Clinton's order, takes absolute control by occupation of Brooklyn, New York.

All Arabic males ages 14-40 or so are rounded up and put in cages in the stadium. A captured suspect is tortured and executed by Willis.

Washington's character tries desperately to try and stop the terror cells before the Army goes too far.

In the end, the General (Willis) is arrested by the FBI for kidnapping, torture, suspension of prisoner rights - everything that is actually going on now as authorized by President Bush's orders.

The unique moral dilemma is best expressed by whether one man, or 6 should be sacraficed, to save 600 or more?

Should racial profiling of Arabs be utilized to ensure the public safety in the face of such assaults?

Do we lose everything we fought for to be free of in our country should we trade it in for the kind of security our military could garauntee us?

It's a legitimate question, but as I watched this movie, I rooted for the General and the Army siezing control of the City.

I can see it from both sides - but the troops did withdraw after Washington's character got the last of the terrorists.

I'm hard pressed to say that the ends didn't justify the means. I think they did.

Excellent movie!

Tycho
11-27-2006, 04:37 AM
What's not good is that of all the movies that I watch and review now, The Siege is the one single movie I've enjoyed the most in recent days.

I strongly recommend it - even over some of the great ones I've been watching (like the Hannibal films, etc).

DarkArtist
11-28-2006, 08:26 AM
I thought The Siege was a great film. With the recent terror attacks on the world and the war currently happening I actually feared that one day the US would become that which was seen in the film, under military control with prison camps.
I remember actually seeing this film when it was in the theaters on a first date. If there was one good thing about that night was at least the film was good.