PDA

View Full Version : United 93

Tycho
11-24-2006, 02:49 AM
This movie is scary in it being as real as it gets. Plus it's real history that we ALL lived through.

I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing on the morning of September 11th.

I was to have breakfast with a girl I was dating who lived across the way in my apartment complex. It was a Tuesday, so she had classes that morning and we were off to a late start (late actually meaning early as she had been at my place but returned to hers to get ready). I was used to her taking too much time, so I flipped on the news to see what was happening. The first plane had just hit between 8:30 and 9am. (It was earlier PST) I couldn't believe it, as reports started coming in that America was under attack!

I ran over to Brie's and put the news on her TV. We stayed glued to the television for probably 4 hours, not believeing what we were seeing. At one point the news channels had reported that they'd lost track of as many as 8 planes and this actually looked worse, not that it wasn't horrific in the first place! We were actually scared to go out as we didn't know if the West Coast would come under attack and with our military bases and nuclear reactor, it wasn't at all a feeling of security that morning. We'd planned to have breakfast down by the beach. I don't know how traffic looked, but I imagined the freeways being deserted as everyone holed up where they were and watched the news as these attacks unfolded.

The young men who were part of the hijackings had lived and gone to school in San Diego. We have a Muslim community here. In the movie, they are presented as being just boys. They were afraid of what they thought they must do for "Allah." But they were fanatics if they actually believed they were going to go to Heaven for what they were doing.

What we don't know is if Bin Laden or other Al-Qaeda cell leaders would have killed them if they didn't go through with it and tried to escape and back out of this plan. I don't sympathize with them. I just wonder.

The United States Air Force was repeatedly requesting permission to shoot the hijacked airplanes down, and when they learned that the two (yeah 2) lousy F-16 fighters they managed to get up there, were actually unarmed. A backup plan was the ram the fighters into the airliners in mid-air (the fighter pilots ejecting to safety hopefully), but this wasn't authorized by Vice President Cheney until after the 4 hijacked air planes were already crashed down.

The passengers aboard United 93 were the last to be killed. By using airphones and cell phones, they learned the planes were being used as weapons and that terrorists had already crashed into the World Trade Center and the Pentagon. The passengers, armed with fire extinguishers and butter knives, forks, etc. tried to retake the plane, while all made final calls to their loved ones, often leaving statements on answering machines when they got no one at home. They tried making emergency calls to authorities, but there was no one that could help them up in the air like that.

The terrorists killed the captain and co-pilot and a passenger or two, and a flight attendant with their box cutters. They'd taken very basic flight instruction courses and were overwhelmed at handling the big plane. It wouldn't fly fast enough to get over their target, The White House, before the passengers seized control. One guy amongst the passengers was an amateur pilot. They stood a chance if they could retake the cockpit. However, gravity pulls from the terrorist pilot's maneuvers were too disabling to help them get into the pilot's cabin sooner. It seemed like they just barely ran out of time to save the plane.

I think the events on United 93 and its heroic passengers actually paved the way for airplanes to become safer from hijackings. After 9-11, passengers aboard a hijacked aircraft will likely believe they are going to die anyway, and they will risk everything to take down terrorists on board. They have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Even if a terrorist says he wants money, or safe passage somewhere, or hostages for that matter - there's no reason the passengers will believe him any more. After 9-11, hijacking another airplane got a whole lot harder. As a matter of fact, I don't think there have been ANY hijackings of aircraft since 9-11. While airport security can take some credit, I think that terrorists are now forever afraid of the passengers might very well be a substantial part of it.

In the end, United 93 did crash into a field in Pennsylvania, killing everyone aboard.

This was a powerful movie, and many of those acting in it were the actual military and air traffic control personnel that were involved in the real event. It was filmed on the real locations. The film plays like a movie, but is actually more of a documentary. I strongly recommend everyone sees this film.

As an American, it will really get under your skin, as it did that day on September 11th.

September 11th was our generation's Pearl Harbor. Always remember.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
11-24-2006, 05:23 AM
i'm gonna give you two quick choices here, tycho: we can remove the political remarks about your own beliefs or we can move this to the Rancor Pit. Your choice.

Tycho
11-24-2006, 06:00 AM
i'm gonna give you two quick choices here, tycho: we can remove the political remarks about your own beliefs or we can move this to the Rancor Pit. Your choice.

Don't think I'm not mad - I am - but my anger isn't really targeted at you so it would seem pointless to argue with you about things you might even agree with me about, but your foremost opinion is that you can't discuss that here (in the movie forum). But it seems like you desperately need something to do, so you found this.

I will edit my post removing political remarks (above). You may or may not want to delete this second post of mine (and yours above). But that's up to your wise decision making, though I might point out, that these 2 posts have nothing to do with the original movie topic.

I feel enough passionate hatred that I'd kill for want of taking on the cause, so without the opportunity, of course my veheamence comes out in my posts.

Meanwhile, the cause-effect topic you feel is getting political, has plenty of threads re-tread and tread again in the rancor pit. I emotionally reacted to this movie (a good thing for a movie if you ask me) but I don't know if it merits me getting into it AGAIN in the Rancor Pit. I think it's all been said and done over there.

Jayspawn
11-30-2006, 01:57 PM
It was a great film. Definatly one that everyone should see. I'd never buy it and probably never see it again. Its a great one-time watch.

master jedi
12-05-2006, 02:57 AM
I thought this a great film. Pretty hard to watch but still good. Probably a film that's too soon for some and the right time for others.
I think if you liked this film you might want to check out World Trade Center with Nick Cage. Though these films might be a bit too much for many people. I certainly thought they were emotional roller coaster rides.

Rocketboy
12-05-2006, 07:38 PM
United 93 was great but World Trade Center sucked.

Tycho
12-05-2006, 10:14 PM
I actually thought both were good movies. Michael Pena was cool in WTC and I normally don't care for Nick Cage, but this was a good role for him.

United 93 was a better movie - surely due to its heroic take on fighting back against the terrorists.

General_Grievous
12-06-2006, 04:43 PM
Anyway, I thought this was a sad movie because you get this false sense of hope that they'll actually make it. As 9/11 movies go, I thought "World Trade Center" was more emotional, but this was still a pretty powerful movie.