PDA

View Full Version : leaving and definitely not coming back.

Jargo
11-24-2006, 04:05 PM
so goodbye. it WAS fun. unfortunately a certain person has made it clear through various veiled references that I'm not really welcome. and that they don't think much of me. thus making it incredibly difficult to continue to use this site and feel comfortable about doing so.

so long and thanks for all the - whatever.

CaptainSolo1138
11-24-2006, 04:23 PM
Dearest Andy! Who's gonna tuck me in and give me a kiss goodnight?:cry:

Kidhuman
11-24-2006, 05:00 PM
Well, this is a shock, I havent seen anything about it, has it been in PM's or in the forums? granted I dont read every thread, so I might have missed it. Please PM me with the info and lemme see what happened.

jjreason
11-24-2006, 05:20 PM
Toodles... and please keep in touch. :(

InsaneJediGirl
11-24-2006, 05:26 PM
Bye Andy :( Sorry you feel you have to leave

Rocketboy
11-24-2006, 05:54 PM
You're actually going to let one person run you out?
How sad...

That is what the ignore feature is for.

Ji'dai
11-24-2006, 08:01 PM
It was that Newsbot dude, wasn't it? Man, I hate that mofo. Thinks he's better 'n us and ****. Still, I ain't leaving anytime soon over it.

Take some time off, then come back. Who cares what someone on the 'net thinks of you? I wouldn't let someone run me off for good.

LusiferSam
11-24-2006, 08:04 PM
I'm sorry to hear that you're leaving. You'll be missed.

JetsAndHeels
11-24-2006, 10:03 PM
What have I done now?

El Chuxter
11-24-2006, 10:58 PM
Holy... Wow. What did I miss?

Jargo, this site really won't be the same without you. :(

2-1B
11-24-2006, 11:16 PM
Jargo, will the Orange Empire now be resurrected ? I'm going there right now to start laying a few bricks...

scruffziller
11-25-2006, 07:26 AM
I believe the answer is in this thread. It's on the 3rd page.

Apparently a dispute over what words can be used on the site.

http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=31485&page=3

2-1B
11-25-2006, 10:01 AM
That escalated quickly.

CaptainSolo1138
11-25-2006, 12:17 PM
Am I stupid? Because I see nothing there that would be offensive to anyone (outside of watching British TV for enjoyment).

stillakid
11-25-2006, 01:34 PM
(outside of watching British TV for enjoyment).

I just spent 22 days in the UK and I know that what you just said is impossible.

El Chuxter
11-25-2006, 02:13 PM
Four words: Monty Python's Flying Circus.

They've also given us The Office, Whose Line Is It Anyway, and Survivor, though the original English versions haven't been particularly popular here.

Dar' Argol
11-25-2006, 02:42 PM
Jargo . . errrr . . . Mr. DaddyPants . . . I'm sorry to hear of this incident . . . . it totally sucks! But whenever I get upset about something said online I always look at this picture and it puts it all into perspective!

Whatever your choice mate, I have enjoyed your perspective. Your take on things is always refreshing and I hope to see more. But if not, its been fun mate!

2-1B
11-25-2006, 02:47 PM
They've also given us The Office

not the good one.

El Chuxter
11-25-2006, 02:52 PM
not the good one.

Read next sentence. :p

General_Grievous
11-25-2006, 03:09 PM
I believe the answer is in this thread. It's on the 3rd page.

Apparently a dispute over what words can be used on the site.

http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=31485&page=3

It's actually on page 9. An argument about the spelling of the word "snicker". It's spelled "snicker" in the U.S. but in the U.K. it's spelled with two g's instead of ck in the middle. Much like "favorite" is spelled "favourite" in the U.K. It's one letter away from being a racial slur, but it still isn't. It's a pointless argument though, DP. You shouldn't leave because of that.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
11-25-2006, 04:28 PM
:( :cry: :( :cry: :( :cry: :( :cry: :( :cry: :( :cry:

JediTricks
11-25-2006, 05:00 PM
I said I wasn't going to uncensor hate-speech like "n*gger" simply so he could type "sn*gger", and if he or anybody else couldn't accept that "n*gger" was remaining censored then they could leave, apparently he can't accept that "n*gger" is still a censored word here, but choosing to leave over it seems like overreacting to me if that's the case.

I don't actually know that's why he's posted this thread though, I have no idea whom or what he's referring to when he said "unfortunately a certain person has made it clear through various veiled references that I'm not really welcome. and that they don't think much of me. thus making it incredibly difficult to continue to use this site and feel comfortable about doing so." so if that's supposed to be about me, I have no idea what he's on about.

LusiferSam
11-25-2006, 06:39 PM
If that's what this is about then Mr DP can go mope in the corner all he wants. That's so stupid.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-25-2006, 07:55 PM
This isn't the first time he's left. I don't really want to get into the fight but I definitely don't think JT was being unreasonable. Jargo should stay, but if he really feels as he does, then him leaving is for the best.

Mad Slanted Powers
11-25-2006, 11:52 PM
I said I wasn't going to uncensor hate-speech like "n*gger" simply so he could type "sn*gger", and if he or anybody else couldn't accept that "n*gger" was remaining censored then they could leave, apparently he can't accept that "n*gger" is still a censored word here, but choosing to leave over it seems like overreacting to me if that's the case.

It seems that you can type grass, mass and pass, even though *** is censored. So why would what DP typed be censored if he didn't actually type the n-word?

JediTricks
11-26-2006, 02:39 AM
The system changes the wildcard exemption for it because of the high commonality of its spelling in other words, such as assassin. However, for example, the "s-word" is less common and the system doesn't have the same wildcard for it, so 2 Star Wars names we can't use are "Wol Cabassh ite" and "Cos Dash it": Wol Cabas****e, Cos Da****

Rocketboy
11-26-2006, 01:42 PM
Four words: Monty Python's Flying Circus.And Mr. Bean.

scruffziller
11-27-2006, 03:25 AM
It's actually on page 9. .

Oh I know what happened, I have my settings set so that my individual pages are set to have 3 times the amount of posts.

Slicker
11-27-2006, 09:04 AM
I said I wasn't going to uncensor hate-speech like "n*gger" simply so he could type "sn*gger", and if he or anybody else couldn't accept that "n*gger" was remaining censored then they could leave, apparently he can't accept that "n*gger" is still a censored word here, but choosing to leave over it seems like overreacting to me if that's the case.Honky...

Hmmm...doesn't seem fair...

scruffziller
11-27-2006, 09:08 AM
Honky...

Hmmm...doesn't seem fair...

Cracker

not fair either

Slicker
11-27-2006, 09:24 AM
Cracker

not fair eitherThe Man

Still not fair...

I say this all joking but why should one be more hateful than the other? I understand that ignorance has made the "n-word" unacceptable but if you do one you might as well do the rest.

I personally could care less if you say any of the terms about white people (I know what I am) because I use them on a daily...although I hear if you take off the last little bit and add an "A" to it it makes it acceptable so from here on out you can call me a honka.

El Chuxter
11-27-2006, 10:09 AM
How come Kramer can say it?

JimJamBonds
11-27-2006, 10:44 AM
How come Kramer can say it?

Anybody else hear what Michael Irvin said on the Dan Patrick Show a week ago?

2-1B
11-27-2006, 06:57 PM
I say this all joking but why should one be more hateful than the other? I understand that ignorance has made the "n-word" unacceptable but if you do one you might as well do the rest.

I think that's what it comes down to, the historical usage of the term in conjunction with legislation based on said ignorance.

I don't disagree with you Slicker about what's fair or not, I'm just saying I think these are the circumstances and that's how it is.

I've heard comedians use these racial terms and I've laughed hysterically but I've also heard racists use these terms and it makes me cringe...I guess it all comes down to context, really, and how it is used.

Old Fossil
11-27-2006, 09:09 PM
Jargo, I hope you don't let the friendship end here over what looks to have been a misunderstanding and/or miscommunication. That would be unfortunate for all, and unnecessary.

Your wit will be missed, and the site will be somewhat less interesting.:sad:

Darth Cruel
11-28-2006, 11:57 AM
I am not sure if I should be putting in my own 2 cents. But I will as a member of the forums even if I am not personally involved.

Despite the fact that the 'bot cencors some words or parts thereof, the intent seems to always make it through. I have had partial words nixed (I think I even crossed the line once with a full word) and it has not affected the impact of the posted message. And it was the 'bot that covered the word...not a specific person...so it is not like it was a personal attack.

On the other hand...like it or leave (or words to that effect) MAY have been a LITTLE strong. The message COULD have been "Sorry, but it isn't possible to teach the 'bot the difference between a foul word and a word that has the foul word in it as part of it's spelling. We hope you understand."

Either way...I am certainly not convinced that this incident should be reason to part ways. There HAS to be something else. It May even be a joke in the end. I hope it gets straightened out...the more members we have, the merrier!