PDA

View Full Version : The Die Hard movies!

Tycho
11-24-2006, 05:17 PM
I never get bored of this movie: "John McClaine: I am Hans Gruber."

A true classic that started off a great movie franchise - remember when we liked it when buildings blew up?

Bruce Willis and Alan Rickman are perfect in their roles in the first movie and I totally love watching it again and again.

The WideScreen DVDs offer some fun menus and such with these movies, though the digital graphics on the menu look like cheap video games. But I think that's part of the cheesy fun.

Kidhuman
11-24-2006, 05:46 PM
I liked the first, but hated the others.

Tycho
11-24-2006, 06:15 PM
I was watching Die Hard 2: Die Harder. The cast is amazing:

There's the T-1000 from Terminator 2
There's the guy from NYPD Blue or Hill Street Blues (didn't watch either actually)
And there's "Sloane" from Star Trek Deep Space Nine (Section 31) as well as Shawshank Redemption.

Pretty fun seeing them all in action.

Ji'dai
11-24-2006, 07:48 PM
Don't forget future Senator Fred Thompson (R-TN) as the Dulles tower head honcho in 2.

Man, I loved the first one. It quickly became a traditional christmas movie for me for several years. Lots of quotable dialogue in that one.

I didn't care as much for the second one. I actually watched part 2 a few months ago for the first time in years. It's still entertaining, but not as good as the other two.

Pairing Samuel L. Jackson with Willis in the third really infused the movie with two wise-cracking heroes with great on-screen chemistry. Jackson practically steals the show with his patented jive delivery of his lines. Him pining for his lost gold brick was classic.

Tycho
11-24-2006, 08:46 PM
It's been a while since I watched Part 3 (that's next!) but I really enjoyed 2.

The guy that played the Dulles Airport Control head honcho has been in other films I think - Independence Day?

I think Die Hard 2 had some classic lines as well - the part about "this happens every Christmas to me," was funny.

The snow storm was a different touch to a movie, too.

I like how they shift settings so drastically: from LA to Washington DC and sunshine to snow.

When McClaine sets fire to the jet fuel and it chases the plane into the air was another classic moment in movie history. The DIE HARD films are a lot of fun, and yeah, you can keep watching them over and over again.

No. 2 was good and the surprise betrayal by the Army Major (though I did remember once I saw the blue tape on the machine gun magazines and remembered what it meant) was a nice element to add to the story.

Tycho
11-25-2006, 03:34 AM
Just finished No. 3. It was good, too.

I don't know if it was my favorite. That cab ride was a lot of fun though.

The game was sort of childish, though I guess it was supposed to be.

Sam Jackson's defense against "The Man" started to get old.

I actually think I like No. 2 the best. An airport being compromised is darn scary, and the appearances of a lot of the first movie's cast was fun.

I'm going to watch No. 3 again soon sometime. But I don't think I'd ever seen it all the way through. I didn't remember the telephone wire and the helicopter being electrofied into exploding.

By the way, were they in Canada for the final sequence, "North of the Border?" That's a distance from New York to Canada, isn't it?

2-1B
11-25-2006, 09:58 AM
Didn't a guy get stabbed thru the eye with an icicle in 2 ? That was cool.

Tycho
11-25-2006, 11:24 AM
Didn't a guy get stabbed thru the eye with an icicle in 2 ? That was cool.

Yeah, McClaine did it. That was gross but "knarly" at the same time. :yes:

2-1B
11-25-2006, 12:10 PM
"that was awesome."
--Chris Farley

JediTricks
11-26-2006, 01:18 AM
Die Hard was an awesome film in the theater and stayed solid with repeat viewings. DH2 was an entertaining film in the theater as well, doesn't quite hold up with repeat viewings but it's still fairly good. DH3 really didn't work for me even at the theater, I gave it a second chance and it completely failed me, it felt very very forced - I since learned that the reason it felt that way was because it was forced, it was written as a 3rd installment to the Lethal Weapon series. Now with another sequel coming out, I really don't know if I'll even bother, it's just been too long.

2-1B
11-26-2006, 02:01 AM
are they basing Die Hard 4 on Lethal Weapon 5 ?

Tycho
11-26-2006, 03:28 AM
Oh no! Why don't they put it to rest? I'm on the same page as JediTricks on this issue, though I didn't know Die Hard 3 was based off of an unproduced Lethal Weapon plot.

JediTricks
11-27-2006, 07:06 PM
The movie is titled "Live Free or Die Hard" and is currently filming, the plot is apparently John McClane vs internet terrorists who are shutting down the country through its computers... man does that sound lame!

2-1B
11-27-2006, 07:19 PM
Come on JT, be fair. The Whole Ten Yards flopped, so B Dubs has to find some franchise to milk.

10 dollars says there's a scene where he shoots up a room full of computers and then has to walk barefoot across the shattered glass from the monitors.

Tycho
11-27-2006, 09:49 PM
LOL Caesar. That could be so true, though!

Meanwhile, internet terrorists? Do you think John McClaine will be coming after us?

2-1B
11-27-2006, 09:57 PM
Yippie-kai-ai-yay, MotherTycho. lol lol lol