PDA

View Full Version : So, who picked up the shuttle?

JON9000
11-27-2006, 11:30 AM
I did, they are all over the place at Target. $60 is a pretty sweet deal, and I've never had the shuttle before in any incarnation. I picked it up before going in to work this morning. I cannot wait to get it home, bust it out, and set it up with a couple of guards like in all of those awesome army builder shots!!

El Chuxter
11-27-2006, 11:49 AM
I thought it was odd that it was advertised and not in any of the local Tarjays. I got one at KB's clearance a few years back, though, so I'm good.

DarkArtist
11-27-2006, 01:07 PM
Yeah I got mine a few years back when it was a FAO exclusive, actually my wife bought it for me for Christmas. I think she would kill me if I went out and got another one. Plus we have a small apartment so space is limited.

Luuuuuuke
11-27-2006, 05:01 PM
I got it yesterday. Thought I would not, but saw it, liked it, and put it in perspective against the $120 FAO one. Besides, I have a fair number of Imperial troops but no vehicle--like the gunships--to frame them around. Now I do.

To be honest, Target also lured me with their whole limited time only, limited quantities, no rainchecks, special purchase pitch. It made me fear, just enough, the prospect of regretting not having gotten this. I didn't want to kick myself later, and I thought I might.

dindae
11-27-2006, 05:12 PM
Since I haven't heard that this is different in any way from the FAO incarnation, I have no reason to go out and plop another $60 bucks on this. It's a good price but I'm happy to pass since one is really enough for me.

Snowtrooper
11-27-2006, 06:23 PM
I had my brother pick me up one yesterday, since I live 70 miles away from the nearest Target. I already bought the first saga shuttle when it was a KB Toys exclusive and wasn't really looking to buy another one. But I thought $60 was a pretty good price, especially compared to online prices, and it will be nice to have an extra to set up whatever scene I think of.

2-1B
11-27-2006, 07:36 PM
I thought it was odd that it was advertised and not in any of the local Tarjays.

That's because they're all in Raleigh. :grin:

JON9000
11-28-2006, 10:35 AM
In the local Target they were on a large end-cap away from the rest of the SW section.

Darth Jax
11-28-2006, 03:05 PM
That's because they're all in Raleigh. :grin:

except for the 3 truckloads of them that got shipped to my target. they've got their own end cap and are stacked 3 high above an entire aisle. i have trouble seeing that they'll all be moved by christmas. hopefully i'll be able to get one or two on clearance in january.

Phantom-like Menace
11-29-2006, 12:14 AM
I'm inclined to get one. I already have one from back when KB clearanced them on their website, but sixty dollars is such a damned cool price that I really can't resist. And if I did get one, I would have to set up a Tyderium strike force.

I'm also thinking of getting one just because we would have no business asking Hasbro for vehicles ever again if we refuse to pay sixty bucks for a shuttle. So I'm hoping they sell out quickly.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
11-29-2006, 12:23 AM
oh, this new Shuttle. lol

Back in my day, we got that shuttle in the mail, in a big *** box, from a place called FAO Schwartz. Cost a pretty penny, believe you me. I got mine from Shelbyville. I took the ferry to get it. It cost twenty five cents; back then, nickels have pictures of bees on them; give me '5 bees for a quarter you'd say..."

But no, i saw this today, laughed at how A LOT of us got boinked over into paying 120 for this and now it's 60 bucks. Damn you Hasbro.

JON9000
11-29-2006, 06:50 PM
if it makes you feel any better, for every fan who got boinked, there's a guy like me who missed out the first time 'round and is felling pretty good right about now!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-29-2006, 07:22 PM
I got it for Christmas 2002, and I think it was $50 or so when my parents ordered it online. I like it but don't want another identical one.

El Chuxter
11-29-2006, 07:29 PM
Saw it and picked it up. It was heavy, so I put it back.

2-1B
11-29-2006, 08:25 PM
Saw it and picked it up. It was heavy, so I put it back.

"There's that term again, 'heavy.' Is there something wrong with the Earth's gravitational pull in 1985?"

JediTricks
11-29-2006, 11:47 PM
I am receiving this for Xmas, it has already been picked up, so yay! This piece means a lot to me, I bought the original back in the day but it was previously returned misassembled so I had to take it back, and it was the very last Star Wars vehicle there... ever!

Slicker
11-29-2006, 11:50 PM
"There's that term again, 'heavy.' Is there something wrong with the Earth's gravitational pull in 1985?"I don't know why but I'm laughing out loud (LOL) to myself in my room.

abell748
11-30-2006, 06:22 AM
I picked one up. Eventhough I missed the Saga one, I have the vintage one and having a new one for $60 sounded ok to me. I did have the Saga one on preorder from Fao and cancelled it after the second delay. Man I am glad I did that, cooler box, 2 figures, and a lower price!

TheDarthVader
11-30-2006, 08:58 PM
I remember using a coupon and getting a shuttle shipped to me for $40 after shipping costs. Lately, I decided to get a shuttle to bust open, and so I did it! This thing rocks, and I am happy that I purchased it. Good job Hasbro and Target.

pegger
11-30-2006, 09:10 PM
Well I forked over the $120 for it back a few years ago....

My wife went to Buffalo and bought one for me as a surprise - because it was a Target exclusive...and she knows that we almost never get thsoe up here. So I give her points for trying.

Oh - and the colouring IS different. The weathering is not as dark as the FAO one....

Mad Slanted Powers
11-30-2006, 10:03 PM
We got hit with snow Saturday. Then I see the shuttle in the Target ad on Sunday, but wasn't going to venture out to try and get it. All week, I'm seeing the Target ads on TV taunting me with the shuttle that I can't go get. Today, the roads cleared up some so I headed on over there after work. Saw five of them on an end cap, so my journey was not in vain. I also found Gragra, the pod racers and Obi-Wan #47. I also picked up an extra white Endor trooper and Naboo trooper, but passed on the holo Maul. It was already getting dark, so I didn't go to Wal-Mart. Still need a couple black Endor troopers and the Episode V and Cantina tin packs.

dindae
12-01-2006, 08:45 AM
Oh - and the colouring IS different. The weathering is not as dark as the FAO one....

Now why would you go and do that. I was perfectly happy to pass on this and now I have to think about it. Probably still won't get it if it is just a little lighter.

Mad Slanted Powers
12-02-2006, 04:35 PM
It's a good thing I picked this up on Thursday. I went to Target today and the shuttles had been magically transformed into My Little Pony Castles.

Old Fossil
12-03-2006, 08:11 PM
My sweet wife Adrienne brought me one home today, to put under the tree for Christmas. Or, more correctly, BESIDE the tree. That's a big box.

I never got the FAO one, so...

Tyderium dreams, at last...:sleeping:

El Chuxter
12-03-2006, 08:34 PM
Slicker, has your mom picked one up?

She seems to try to pick up everything else.

jedi-cpa
12-04-2006, 10:11 PM
repacks in the shuttle?

Mad Slanted Powers
12-04-2006, 10:40 PM
repacks in the shuttle?
If you are referring to the figures, yes. It is a Saga Royal Guard and a Darth Vader that appears to be the VOTC version.

Old Fossil
12-05-2006, 11:20 AM
If you are referring to the figures, yes. It is a Saga Royal Guard and a Darth Vader that appears to be the VOTC version.

The Vader was a good choice for a pack-in, though I would have included a POTJ Imperial Officer instead of the old AOTC Royal Guard. But with what we're getting for $60, I'm not really complaining.:)

pegger
12-05-2006, 12:08 PM
Actaully the Royal Guard is a kit bash...It's the ROTS body and weapon, with the AOTC plastic cloak and staff/lightning

Old Fossil
12-05-2006, 12:48 PM
How droll. Then again, with the better articulation of the ROTS version... maybe not so bad.:thumbsup:

Mad Slanted Powers
12-05-2006, 08:29 PM
Actaully the Royal Guard is a kit bash...It's the ROTS body and weapon, with the AOTC plastic cloak and staff/lightning
Are you sure about that? The ROTS version has more articulation in the shoulders and articulated knees. I have my AOTC one and the pack-in together and they look to be about the same. Also, the ROTS weapon is a gun. The pack-in doesn't have that

pegger
12-05-2006, 10:08 PM
Are you sure about that? The ROTS version has more articulation in the shoulders and articulated knees. I have my AOTC one and the pack-in together and they look to be about the same. Also, the ROTS weapon is a gun. The pack-in doesn't have that

opps...I meant AOTC weapon...not ROTS...my bad///

Did the AOTC have the articulated elbows? I seem to remember that one being a salt shaker... I also believe that I read the same on GH...

Old Fossil
12-05-2006, 10:15 PM
The AOTC version did have articulated elbows, but it was such that it rendered the articulation irrelevant; i.e., the angle of swivel articulation was too slight to be meaningful. The ROTS has a sharper angle, allowing the elbows to appear more bent than is possible in the AOTC version.

Could someone get off their keester and dig one of these things out to be sure? I don't feel like it.:tired:

Mad Slanted Powers
12-05-2006, 10:39 PM
Could someone get off their keester and dig one of these things out to be sure? I don't feel like it.:tired:As I said, I have them both right here and the AOTC one and the pack-in appear to be identical. The ROTS version is totally different.

JON9000
12-06-2006, 10:23 AM
It is the AOTC guard. I freed an AOTC guard right after getting a shuttle so as to have two loose ones when the Emperor arrives! :)

pegger
12-06-2006, 10:51 AM
It is the AOTC guard. I freed an AOTC guard right after getting a shuttle so as to have two loose ones when the Emperor arrives! :)

I just dug out my AOTC guard...they are right. I'll go put myself into timeout for an hour. Sorry guys...

TheDarthVader
12-06-2006, 07:46 PM
I showed my loose shuttle to a few friends who like star wars but do not collect. They loved it! I can't tell you what one of them said, but lets just say it was something like, "That shuttle gets me excited." hehe Anyway, this thing is just cool. I am so happy that I picked one up. My Target had about 32 of these about 5 days ago and now there are 14. Yes, I counted them and something tells me this will be the only shipment they get. The price tags show "limited time only" so you guys better get one now if you want one!

jedi-cpa
12-18-2006, 12:30 PM
Can't think of any reason to keep it as I have the old KB exclusive one.

TheDarthVader
12-18-2006, 01:19 PM
My target is now sold out. good luck

Rogue II
12-21-2006, 11:15 AM
My wife gave me the Shuttle as an early Christmas gift last night. I've never seen one out of the box before, so I was suprised how big it was with the wings open. The Royal Guard is the AOTC version, complete with blue lightning.

JON9000
12-21-2006, 11:23 AM
My cousin had the ROTJ shuttle when we were little. I had forgotten how big it is. It's a monster!

KPl
12-25-2006, 08:23 PM
Two Quick Problems:

1. The Lambda class shuttle is one of my favorite SWU vessels simply because it is so elegant in shape and design. Unfortunately, the current, 'weathered', paint scheme kinda messes this up. I never thought of the Imperial ships as being all that haggard looking to begin with (_certainly not_ Vader's personal runabout) and this scheme in particular looks like a combination of water spots and thick, greasy, dust with almost half the ships underside painted assymetrically in dark grey. Is there any online source for 'how I resprayed the Hasbro Tyderium?' to help me get something a little less grunge-looking and a bit more accurate to the film models?

2. The wings fold assymetrically. Seriously, if you move one side up it will usually slam into the center fin just as or after the other passes true vertical. Has anyone opened this version up to see if there is something that can be done to resynch the gearing mechanism or is it simply a 'known design flaw' (I never even saw the original issue)?

Thank You- KPl.

Blue2th
12-25-2006, 11:41 PM
Well, Target said they would be a limited edition. There doesn't seem to be any left on the shelves, after a very short run. so I guess this is true. Though a glut of them could show up, post season? I picked up one, even though I have the Saga one also.

Mad Slanted Powers
12-26-2006, 12:34 AM
T2. The wings fold assymetrically. Seriously, if you move one side up it will usually slam into the center fin just as or after the other passes true vertical. Has anyone opened this version up to see if there is something that can be done to resynch the gearing mechanism or is it simply a 'known design flaw' (I never even saw the original issue)?I just tried it now, and the wings seem to go up and down pretty much together. However, in the up position, the wings are not quite symmetrical. One of them is a bit closer to the top fin than the other wing. I hope this wasn't due to anything I did. When I first opened it and tried to move the wings, I didn't realize I had to pull the trigger underneath, so there was kind of a snap. It doesn't seem to be broken though.

KPl
12-26-2006, 01:01 AM
Yeah, I had a similar problem because of the way the thing is jammed into the box. It's practically impossible to get it to come out without grabbing ahold of the wings.

However; I noticed mine was already lopsided as I reached for it so I don't think it could be directly related to mishandling. I would be very interested in hearing if anyone in fact -has- a 'perfect fold' with symmetrical wings or if they have pulled the screws on the bottom to see what the mechanism looks like.

I don't want to take apart the watchworks if it doesn't do me any good or conversely if I can simply force one side to ratchet-up a notch to get both to look better.

Thanks- KPl.

Jargo
12-26-2006, 04:52 PM
I had two of the FAO ones. I just got rid of one in a charity shop and I'm not even going to try and get hold of this refresh version. I put the wing guns on the right way round in the one I gave away as well as the one I kept.

in my own wibbly wobbly EU universe I like to think that Vader visited Tatooine and personally dealt with the troops and commanders who failed to capture the droids. so therefore i'll eventually add my shuttle to my tatooine display along with an AT-ST, a couple of speeder bikes and a few troopers. If only they'd make the landing craft too. the two would loo so cool side by side.

Old Fossil
12-26-2006, 09:10 PM
The wings on mine are a little lopsided, too, but I do not mind so much. It is, after all, a functioning toy, not a model. I know the technology is available to make one that has symmetrical wings, but for $60 I'm not complaining. There are other, uh, wobbly-looking craft in the SW toy universe -- TIE Interceptor, AT-AT, AT-ST... the Shuttle is in good company.

It's a magnificent ship!!! Glad I FINALLY got one. I wonder, is this meant to be Vader's, or the Emperor's, or the Tyderium?

Mad Slanted Powers
12-26-2006, 09:38 PM
The wings on mine are a little lopsided, too, but I do not mind so much. It is, after all, a functioning toy, not a model. I know the technology is available to make one that has symmetrical wings, but for $60 I'm not complaining. There are other, uh, wobbly-looking craft in the SW toy universe -- TIE Interceptor, AT-AT, AT-ST... the Shuttle is in good company.My Lego X-Wing's wings are a little more open on one side than the other. Not sure if that was due to my poor Lego engineering or not. I've not tried rebuilding it to see if I could fix it.

Jargo
12-27-2006, 12:24 AM
it's vaders shuttle. they labelled it as the emperors for the saga release but it was vaders. by the dorsal fin markings. if I'm not mistaken it still has the grey panels on the fin?

JON9000
12-27-2006, 12:46 PM
Mine has the problem with the assymetrical wings in the up position. I assume this is due to the vehicle being packed lopsided in the box and having such heavy wings. I have used a rubberband to hold it in. If this solution doesn't correct the problem over time, I'm just going to use fishing line to hold it in place and slip it off if I ever want to put it in flight mode again. Not a big problem for me.

DarkArtist
12-27-2006, 01:01 PM
I have the FAO / KB Toys version and haven't had a problem with it. Love the shuttle and always wanted one as a kid but never got it. My wife bought it for me for Christmas 3 years ago.

JediTricks
12-29-2006, 04:10 AM
Mine has it as well, my theory is it's a gearing issue, not the first time we've gotten that in a Kenner mold rehash. I'd like to hear from more folks who have the FAO version as to whether it's an issue on theirs and I'm curious how the FAO one was packaged differently.

abell748
12-29-2006, 05:50 AM
The wings on my vintage one sound just like the wings on the new ones. They really went out of their way to fix things didn't they?

KPl
12-29-2006, 08:01 AM
Okay,
An initial progress report:
1. Paint Scheme Defects.
As you can see, there are definite 'not to scale' TQM problems here. One looks like someone got a little careless with the paint thinner or maybe a clear sealer and dribbled it as spots onto both the base plastic color and the grey subpanels.
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k135/ch1466/TailSpots.jpg
The other, well, let's just say that if a child did this 'scrub weathering' with a paper towel and mineral spirits, he wouldn't be winning any model competitions, even in the junior category.
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k135/ch1466/TailStreaks.jpg
THE KEY to weathering is that it be applied to /blend in/ with an established paint scheme, not bare plastic. Preferrably beginning with variations of the same color to highlight individual panel fading and give some 3 Dimensional depth to the overall color scheme. This then being sealed to allow the application of a sludge wash (liquid detergent and water colors or oils and turps, depending on what the base color/sealer is). It being typical to 'go with the flow' of the local _airstream_ if the subject is a flying vehicle. Only a wreck or hangar queen would drip vertically across the airfoil. Once this is done, added staining/residue from exhaust stains or muzzle blasts and battle damage is typically applied as pastel powders with an optional final-seal to even the tones and flatten the finish of the overall model. What irks me is that they attempted to do what a modeler does with care as a purely hack job such that not even the opposed cheek panels on the nose are not the same color.
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k135/ch1466/Belly.jpg
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k135/ch1466/NoseCheekColor.jpg
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k135/ch1466/NoseCheekColor2.jpg
Point Being: If you're not going to do it right. Don't make a mess trying by 'speckling things on'. The X-Wing, nominally a far dirtier ship, doesn't look this bad.
2. Wingfolds.
Tricky but not really hard to disassemble. First off, you will notice the extreme mismatch shown here.
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k135/ch1466/WingfoldTop-1.jpg
Even in the up position the two wings are off by more than 20` and in the down position, while not as bad angularly, the effect is, if anything, rendered even worse because you can see it for the full length of the unfolded leading edge.
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k135/ch1466/WingDroops.jpg
Somehow, (glue the things maybe) I have to fix this. Of course Hasbro doesn't make things easy as there are in fact _12_ not 4 screws and each and every one has to come out before the fuselage can be convinced to separate. While easy enough to do with a little patience and a long, medium, Phillips Head screwdriver; I still recommend making the attempt on a tall, soft, surface like the bed shown here because the sheer size of the kit will leave you fumbling as things droop and fall apart upon pulling the two main (pancake) fuselage pieces apart.
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k135/ch1466/BellyScrews.jpg
I don't know if doing it before you insert the tail is a good idea or not, with the wing handle permanently affixed, it's just not an easily stabilized effort no matter how you come at it. Then, as shown here, you will see two wings with a geared hinges at the front and a cross shaft going through the primary body area with two synthetic gears at 90` to the wing equivalents and linked somehow to the belly handle.
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k135/ch1466/WingPort.jpg
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k135/ch1466/WingGearing.jpg
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k135/ch1466/WingGearing2.jpg
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k135/ch1466/InternalLowerFuselage.jpg
I have not removed the latter (more screws) in the hopes of making this a quick fix. Initial testing suggests that while they will pop out if you breathe hard, the wings own gear drives will only properly mesh with the cross shaft when rotated forward and down, just past full (up) fold. You then need to release the handle brake and let them droop a bit or the top of the fuselage won't fit over and between the hinges and the wings. Provided you do it supported on it's back (engine exhausts down) it is actually fairly easy to get the wings in at the right angle with the gears lined up and then release the handle safety to push the whole unit until spread halfway down (grip ONLY the inner wing roots/hinge cylinders). The temptation is then to pick it up to reposition the cabin roof and trap the gears. Unfortunately, the latter just won't stay meshed while bearing the wings weight and trying to force the wing:body cutouts for the hinges, the 'neck ring' on the nose section and the old battery compartment in the back to all match up is otherwise just shy of impossible with one set of hands which means reassembly is a definitely two-person effort. Having got things back together, (four screws and many contortions worth of test fit later), I can only say that what starts out okay quickly slips back into misalignment anyway.
CONCLUSION:
I'm not thinking happy thoughts at the moment. My two most immediate concerns are that either the cross shaft is misaligned somehow such that the wings gearing ratios are off. Or the fact that the wings are only geared at the front end makes them especially vulnerable to slippage when (as is natural, thanks to the handle geometry) they are grabbed and folded from the back. While a careful check of the synthetic gears themselves shows little or no scarring or wear, there is already noticeable chafing on the back of both wings friction-fit step hinges as well as the inside of the rear fuselage. Clearly this cannot be allowed to go on, even if it is not the source of the wing-fold symmetry problem. I am contemplating fitting the backs of the hingeshafts with some kind of spacer checked nut and washer (to grip the bulkhead on which they lay) combo using epoxy to try and 'lock in' the fit but clearly this is both a dangerous modification from a glue-on-the-moving-parts standpoint and one which will be a one time fix as the wings lift from the back and twist off the front. Get the alignment wrong and repairs will be twice as hard...
Opinions and Suggestions Welcome.

KPl.

DroidDroppings
12-29-2006, 04:45 PM
Maybe not or maybe

Mad Slanted Powers
12-29-2006, 08:09 PM
[SIZE=22. Wingfolds.
Tricky but not really hard to disassemble. First off, you will notice the extreme mismatch shown here.
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k135/ch1466/WingfoldTop-1.jpg
Even in the up position the two wings are off by more than 20` and in the down position, while not as bad angularly, the effect is, if anything, rendered even worse because you can see it for the full length of the unfolded leading edgeMine isn't nearly as off as much as that in the up position. In the down position I can't really tell if there is a difference.

JediTricks
12-29-2006, 10:43 PM
It being typical to 'go with the flow' of the local _airstream_ if the subject is a flying vehicle. Only a wreck or hangar queen would drip vertically across the airfoil. Well, it is a shuttle that's mainly in space, so there's no "flow" most of the time it's in flight, and as it's not that commonplace a ship, it isn't too surprising that it'd be left in the hangar much of its time.

What irks me is that they attempted to do what a modeler does with care as a purely hack job such that not even the opposed cheek panels on the nose are not the same color.
Point Being: If you're not going to do it right. Don't make a mess trying by 'speckling things on'. The X-Wing, nominally a far dirtier ship, doesn't look this bad.Hmm, the "cheeks" on yours seem darker than on mine, and mine aren't mismatched like that I don't think. Still, it shouldn't be so dark on these, period.

I'm not a modeler, my past attempts over the last 25 years of my life have been abysmal at best, so I do want Hasbro to add some semblance of weathering to these, even if it's not great work. Compare either modern Dagobah X-wing to the mold's run as the Red Leader X-wing with far less weathering, it looks bland and plasticky by comparsion, I'll take the Dagobah X-wing over that any day and the first version has a black nose for no reason. Or look at Hasbro's POTF2 and more modern ships to their Kenner vintage counterparts with no weathering at all, not just the shuttle but the AT-AT, landspeeder, Y-wing, snowspeeder, and Slave I - it's a HUGE difference on them.

I'm not thinking happy thoughts at the moment. My two most immediate concerns are that either the cross shaft is misaligned somehow such that the wings gearing ratios are off. Or the fact that the wings are only geared at the front end makes them especially vulnerable to slippage when (as is natural, thanks to the handle geometry) they are grabbed and folded from the back.You are right not to be happy, that totally stinks, mine is nowhere near as bad as that either. Is it possible one of the gears themselves are not affixed to the wings properly, or perhaps the ones on the shaft? That's my best guess since there's no mention of slippage anywhere, if it were bent or broken teeth you'd have slippage. Plus, gear or axle misalignment seems most likely since the amount of asymmetry between the wings appears to be constant in both the up and down positions.

Let me ask you, do you think the central gearbox is braking/driving a single solid axle that runs from one wing to the other, or is it possible it's driving them off a central gear and one of the axles was placed in on the wrong tooth? If this weren't such a pain to work with, I'd suggest trying to put together a tape jig over the wings and run them through their motion once while in normal orientation, observing what parts where behaving in what way, but with such an ungangly size to work with, I think you may have to just take some more time and crack the central housing open - it's less drastic than making heavy modifications.

BTW, your photos just made me realize there seems to be no way to fix the upside-down wing cannons.

KPl
12-30-2006, 03:29 AM
Possible Solution!
Okay, another 4 screws (that's 16 now) later, I loosened the cabin floor and effectively removed the nose. This revealed the cross shaft as a single piece with a handed gear that slides up and down freely (i.e. the shaft is not warped or misconnected through offset splines or whatever) that itself fits into a clawed retainer on the brake handle (i.e. it only works one way and was not misinstalled).
I also got wise and used a twisty tie to hold back the release brake in the handle which made fitting and unshipping the wings MUCH easier on a hard, flat, surface. The irony then being (as far as I can tell) that the real culprits are two little 'clacker' strips of sheet plastic which are what make the noise when the wings fold by ratcheting over the forward hinge gear and then springing back to act as a friction brake. Only slightly thicker than a razor blade, I think one of these got stuck in the 'up' mode which allowed the other to run ahead a few notches. Or...something.
Absent the frankly irritating sound, all seems reasonably well now with =< quarter-inch up and perfect down symmetrical folding. I would caution that the wings do tend to translate so smoothly after the fix that anyone repeating my approach will want to be very careful to keep their hand in place on the wings when releasing the brake so as to not have them just slam down and eventually damage the external hinge wheels or the fuselage.
What's more, since this is a relatively repeatable effort, I can now head off to the paint shop with five separate sub assemblies to begin the degrungification process.
Hasbro, just a little note here, I also got a beautifully painted little 72nd scale diecast kit for about 40 buck this Christmas and I can flat out -buy- the old MPC shuttle kit for 20-30. So there is no rational excuse for the 'don't mind the slave labor' economics of such a demolition derby finish. Paint the plastic. Completely. Then weather the paint. And _do it right_ with a seal coat between and after so that you don't just scrape it all off when handled.
Otherwise, don't charge 60 bucks for a dirty toy with no electronics I'm right now sanding down completely to prepare for a real paint scheme.
My thanks to all who posted, especially Jedi Tricks. I don't know if it will hold or if there is some other nasty behavior that I will discover, long term, as a consequence to unscrewing the clacker thingies but here are some added photos for your amusement. Note the size of the offending widgetry, roughly the length of your pinky fingernail. Sometimes it really is /the little things/....
Cross Shaft/Brake Intermesh
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k135/ch1466/Gear-HandleInterface.jpg
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k135/ch1466/MainBayWithClackersInPlace.jpg
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k135/ch1466/MainGearBrakeInterlock.jpg
Wing Mesh Before And After
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k135/ch1466/WingIntermesh.jpg
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k135/ch1466/GearMeshAfterClackerRemoval.jpg
Separated Cabin and Nose
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k135/ch1466/CabinFloorAndNose.jpg
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k135/ch1466/RemovedCabinandNose.jpg
Wing Guns and Clackers
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k135/ch1466/WingCannonsandClackers.jpg

KPl.

JediTricks
12-31-2006, 12:30 AM
The previous post is a good example of why JT should not post while sick...

Hmm, the "cheeks" on yours seem darker than on mine, and mine aren't mismatched like that I don't think.WRONG!

mine is nowhere near as bad as that either.WRONG!!!

Apparently the previous time I checked out the shuttle it was through rose-colored glasses because I cannot believe how incorrect I was when I looked at it today, both of those situations were just like yours.

I also took mine apart and took out the floor to reveal the central shaft. The first thing I discovered is that it's WAY easier to put the wings back in this way because the central axle can be removed and then slipped into the wing gears when the wings are fully down or at any position really (but fully down is easiest since gravity is doing all the heavy lifting). I also discovered that half the screws in this set are so cheaply-made that they're essentially pre-stripped. Also, like you, I discovered that it was no problem to take the wing guns apart and mount them correctly, they're just a simple friction pin holding the halves together. Then, onto the wing problem...

The irony then being (as far as I can tell) that the real culprits are two little 'clacker' strips of sheet plastic which are what make the noise when the wings fold by ratcheting over the forward hinge gear and then springing back to act as a friction brake.That's not what I found when I took it all apart, what I found is that the gears are odd-numbered and don't line up on the box-axles symmetrically, and moreover, they only designed 1 gear set so what works on the starboard side does NOT work on the port side. My guess is that the Kenner designers who came up with this gear did have a proper ratio - the gears aren't attached in any permanent way so sliding them off is easy, put the gears on at one orientation on the port side and it behaves differently from putting them on a different orientation. I could not at any of the 4 potential orientations get the wing's actual gear to line up so that a void (the space between 2 teeth) was exactly parallel to the inner wing edge the way the starboard side's is, so there's no way that the central axle's port cog should be aligned identical to the starboard one... which it of course was (both parts have specific orientation markers, the axle cog has a single cutout along one side while the wing gear has 3 cutaways which are specific to how they align with the box central hole). So the question is, what IS the proper alignment on the port gear system? I don't know yet because it's very difficult to see it in action without putting it together and there are 16 possible gearing combinations. I put the port axle cog on opposite the starboard one rather than facing, and it did help some but it's not perfect - however, after taking it apart twice, I've kinda burned out (though it was easy to take back apart on try #2 since I only placed 4 of the 12 undercarriage screws).

I hope to hear more folks interested in this, and if anybody has one of the earlier models with synchronized wings and is willing to tell us what gearing sets are on the port wing and axle, that'd be awesome.

Mad Slanted Powers
12-31-2006, 12:58 AM
If I were to take mine apart, I'd probably never get it back together again.

JediTricks
12-31-2006, 01:11 AM
If I were to take mine apart, I'd probably never get it back together again.
It's not as challenging as you might think, just make sure you put all the screws aside, don't let them stay in the housing like a few wanted to because they'll eventually fall out - all the screws from the underside were the same screw, and I think the ones in the inner section were as well but I did keep those 4 separate from the 12 just in case. Take the top wing off before starting and like KPl said, don't waste your time with a hard surface, it does no good, I had mine on a big pillow on the ottoman and on my leg much of the time. When reassembling the wings, like I said before, take out the center axle and it's cake. When reassembling the top and bottom housing, start with the first exposed screw hole nearest to the wing gears and you're home free.

BanthaPoodoo
01-29-2007, 02:58 PM
Just wanted to say that I just picked one of these up over the weekend for a cool $16!!!!

In the same store got me a Lego Jabba Sail Barge for $15 & a Lego Imperial Star Destroyer for $20!!!

Gotta love Mississippi & some of the stores we have around here!

Slicker
01-29-2007, 03:05 PM
Just wanted to say that I just picked one of these up over the weekend for a cool $16!!!!

In the same store got me a Lego Jabba Sail Barge for $15 & a Lego Imperial Star Destroyer for $20!!!

Gotta love Mississippi & some of the stores we have around here!NO FAIR!!!

I just bought the damn Sailbarge for full price a couple of weeks ago!!!

Soooo...um...anymore cheap deals?! I'll gladly pay you extra...

BanthaPoodoo
01-29-2007, 03:13 PM
Well, I did see a couple more lego sets... there was another Star Destroyer, but it looked like it had been opened & pieces were rattling around....

Didnt see anything else though... of course, this is a chain store so there are a lot around the MS & AL areas... I'll take a peek around some more & post back if I find anything else.

This is the only place I get the Lego sets from... what it is is people buy stuff, take it back to the store, then this company buys the returns & sells it at a discount... thus the excellent deals I have been getting since I moved to MS. Most of my Star Wars collection & almost all of my house furniture has come from there... nothing wrong with any of it, so not sure why Target & other stores didnt just put it back on the shelf... oh well, my gain I guess!

Old Fossil
01-29-2007, 08:34 PM
Well, I did see a couple more lego sets... there was another Star Destroyer, but it looked like it had been opened & pieces were rattling around....

Didnt see anything else though... of course, this is a chain store so there are a lot around the MS & AL areas... I'll take a peek around some more & post back if I find anything else.

This is the only place I get the Lego sets from... what it is is people buy stuff, take it back to the store, then this company buys the returns & sells it at a discount... thus the excellent deals I have been getting since I moved to MS. Most of my Star Wars collection & almost all of my house furniture has come from there... nothing wrong with any of it, so not sure why Target & other stores didnt just put it back on the shelf... oh well, my gain I guess!

Are you talking about Hudson's Salvage?

BanthaPoodoo
01-30-2007, 01:14 PM
Are you talking about Hudson's Salvage?

Nope... I can't ever find anything in that place.. always too junky...

Plus the fact it seems all they ever have are clothes, medicine, & books....

Sorry Old Fossil, hate to give away my secret, cause it seems like me & you are in direct competition for finding stuff, LOL!!! And every time I go to the stores you visit in Meridian, Hattiesburg, Laurel, Jackson, Newton, etc. I never find anything, apparently cause you visit them regularly (epecially Hattiesburg & Laurel... guess I'll stop going there altogether now that I know who I am up against!)

Old Fossil
01-30-2007, 03:07 PM
Nope... I can't ever find anything in that place.. always too junky...

Plus the fact it seems all they ever have are clothes, medicine, & books....

Sorry Old Fossil, hate to give away my secret, cause it seems like me & you are in direct competition for finding stuff, LOL!!! And every time I go to the stores you visit in Meridian, Hattiesburg, Laurel, Jackson, Newton, etc. I never find anything, apparently cause you visit them regularly (epecially Hattiesburg & Laurel... guess I'll stop going there altogether now that I know who I am up against!)

LOL... I hear you, man. Honestly, aside from Laurel, I only get to Hattiesburg about once a month, maybe twice. Meridian & etc... I almost never get out to any of those other places. I try to post on the MS Just Found section whenever I find anything of interest in H'burg, though, so if you know you're headed down there you can check that beforehand to see if I left you anything.:D I usually leave quite a bit nowadays... I have scaled back my SW spending considerably of late.

BanthaPoodoo
01-30-2007, 04:05 PM
I guess it is great to finally have another SW collector from Mississippi on here though.... havent seen one in forever!