PDA

View Full Version : Troop-Building

Darth Cruel
11-28-2006, 02:27 PM
This line has been a dream for troop-builders. We have recieved miles of clones. I am curious as to what you all troop-build and why.

I will troop-build ANY army figure but only so long as it is SA (with few exceptions). They also do have to have a good sculpt. I will not troop build the animated versions of figures even if they are SA because I want as serious a look as possible to my formations. I still like the animated versions, though. The few exceptions to my SA requirement are the AT-AT Driver, and the Death Star Gunner. The reason for this is that I like the sculpts, they have plenty of articulation for what they are needed for, and I firmly believe that we will not see any improvement on the sculpts for those two figures...ever. I have decided NOT to troop-build the Saga T.I.E Fighter Pilots because I do not like the articulation and I am hoping for an improvement to those sculpts eventually. If they got caught up to the AT-AT Driver...they would be perfect, or at least as close to perfect as I would ever hope.

I am still on the fence about some troop-builders such as the Clone pilots and the AT-RT Driver. They are about as good as they will ever get, but I still hate the sculpts. They ARE troops, though and I will probably get around to adding them to the GAOTR.

The AT-TE Driver will not get built as it is because it is not even close to SA.

The next 2 waves of the Saga2 line have 4 figures I want to troop-build. The 442nd Siege Battalion, the 5th Fleet Security, the Elite Corps, and the 501st (after modifying Appo by removing his Pauldron). The Clone Engineer is the Evolutions sculpt and therefore not SA so I will not be building that one. The Battle Droids and Super Battle Droid do not appear to be SA, but if they are...they will be built.

The thing I miss the most right now is that there are no good-guys worth troop-building...not one. I want a SA Rebel Fleet Trooper, Endor Rebel Soldier, and Hoth Rebel Soldier so bad I can almost taste them. And SA rebel Pilots as well. The only good pilot we have is Luke. I want more...generic pilots for building as well. I know it is difficult as their faces are not hidden and that make it cheesy unless you do multiple head sculpts. But I think they have enough heads now to make about 20 pilots (which would be enough for me) and those heads could then be used also on ground troops. Gimme!

I hope the 30th line is as full of troop-builders! It looks good so far with the Parjai Trooper and the Galactic Marine! But i hope for the SA good-guys as well!

jedi master sal
11-28-2006, 03:49 PM
The simplest way I can put this is, take a look at the movies. If there are loads of one kind of character, I troop build that one in high numbers. If there are troops but they only appear in smaller numbers, ie Naboo soldiers or even scout troopers, I will army build them, but not so extensively.

To give some examples of what I have:
Utapau troopers-106
501st troopers (including both the JTA battle pack and single carded figs)-70+
Scout troopers-20+
Naboo soldiers (the new ones from TSC)-8

So basically again, I go by how I see them in the movies. A lot in the movies equals a lot to build. Small squads in the movies equals small squads to build.

This even goes for Jawas and Tusken Raiders.

If and when we ever see the Rebel Guard (the ones seen at the Yavin temple), I'll troop build those to at least 40.

JON9000
11-28-2006, 04:11 PM
The only good pilot we have is Luke.

You could buy a bunch of SA Lukes and change out the helmets from others like Dutch Vander. I really don't think those guys are gonna be re-released SA. Any troop that was made in the Vintage line is a pretty good bet for SA, as they are good fodder for the VOTC line. the only problem there is that they are pricey.

I do not "Army build" anything. I simply don't have the money. I have 4 Stormtroopers- 2 VOTC, 2 Commtech (but will have 2 more with the release of the Tantive IV Battle Pack), I think 6 is pretty good. I have four Sandtroopers- 1 POTJ, 1 Evo, 1 Dewback Rider, and 1 SA Saga. I have 2 Snowtroopers, 1 Biker Scout VOTC, 1 Imperial Officer, Two Royal Guards, 1 AT AT Driver, 2 Tie Pilots, and a couple of other imperials. actually, all in all I have about 20 Imperials, and that makes a pretty good, uh, detachment.

jedi master sal
11-28-2006, 04:35 PM
I do not "Army build" anything. I simply don't have the money. I have 4 Stormtroopers- 2 VOTC, 2 Commtech (but will have 2 more with the release of the Tantive IV Battle Pack), I think 6 is pretty good. I have four Sandtroopers- 1 POTJ, 1 Evo, 1 Dewback Rider, and 1 SA Saga. I have 2 Snowtroopers, 1 Biker Scout VOTC, 1 Imperial Officer, Two Royal Guards, 1 AT AT Driver, 2 Tie Pilots, and a couple of other imperials. actually, all in all I have about 20 Imperials, and that makes a pretty good, uh, detachment.

True true. Oh how I wish I could buy figs like you. I got sucked into the black hole of army building early on...Now it's like a drug with me. For now I'm fairly satiated with the Mace clones, but that desire is starting to creep up thinking about the new waves on the horizon, as well as that Felucia Battlepack.

Old Fossil
11-28-2006, 09:55 PM
I'm not sure how many army builders I have. So many POTJ Scouts and CommTech Stormies are in storage... I usually end up getting multiples of resculpts to replace older editons of figures like the Biker Scout, AT-AT Driver, Death Star Gunner, etc. The new sculpts are usually so good that I can't help myself.

jedi master sal
11-28-2006, 10:40 PM
I'm not sure how many army builders I have. So many POTJ Scouts and CommTech Stormies are in storage... I usually end up getting multiples of resculpts to replace older editons of figures like the Biker Scout, AT-AT Driver, Death Star Gunner, etc. The new sculpts are usually so good that I can't help myself.

I do this too. As I keep geting new ones, the older versions will keep being placed towards the back of the dioramas...

A sad fate.

Phantom-like Menace
11-29-2006, 12:01 AM
Episode II

I had stopped at eight clones, but added five to that group with Evolutions sets. I also picked up two pilots for gunship duty. I'll include my four Scorch figures here even though they are not technically Episode II clones.

Episode III

I'll army build damn near anything. The only sculpt I'm really unhappy with is the AT-TE tank gunner, but on top of having three or four of the originals (though I won't buy another), I did use several of them to pad out my 501st clones, so I have six of the JTA 501st and six of the AT-TE sculpts. I also have twelve shock troops, with three of those being from the Skirmish set. Otherwise, I have four Star Corps figures from the Evolutions set, five Utapau clones, two sets worth of Assault on Coruscant, two rocket troopers, five or six AT-RT drivers (with two AT-RT), dozens of white SA and quick draw clones, at least nine pilots, several of each of the generic commanders (red and green), at least one of each named commander. Edit: Oh, yeah. I also have two opened Shadow troopers.

Episode IV

I've got some eight or so Sandtroopers, a mix of the new Saga troopers and Evolutions troopers (had so many Evolutions troopers I gave some to a friend). I have five of the VOTC Stormtroopers, and this is the number one figure I want more of. I purchased all but one of the I ever saw (yes, I only saw six in my area and let a friend get the sixth).

Episode VI

I have two of the old Saga scouts, and I have two of the VTSC scouts. The VTSC scout is the second trooper that I want many more of.

I'm not against Army building Snowtroopers but have just never gotten around to it.

In the future, I plan to purchase most--if not all--of the clones that come out. I'll buy any figure based on the VOTC stormtrooper, and I will buy any future VTSC scout.

dindae
11-29-2006, 09:53 AM
I will army build anything that has multiples in the films from Stormtroopers to gungan reps. I didn't really start to army build until the last few years. Still buying every release I had a good squad of stormtroopers, plenty of Sandtroopers for my purposes, enough TIE pilots. Now I tend to get 3 of any army builders. My main reason for this is that I don't really want more than 10 of any figure due to room (except Stormtrooper since they are in 3 films). Plus with the many reissue of certain figures like the Snowtrooper I don't see the need to load up on any one mold when I know another will be out in a few years. If by chance I'm wrong and the whole line goes under then that will give me something to hunt down later.

Old Fossil
11-29-2006, 10:12 AM
I will army build anything that has multiples in the films from Stormtroopers to gungan reps. I didn't really start to army build until the last few years. Still buying every release I had a good squad of stormtroopers, plenty of Sandtroopers for my purposes, enough TIE pilots. Now I tend to get 3 of any army builders. My main reason for this is that I don't really want more than 10 of any figure due to room (except Stormtrooper since they are in 3 films). Plus with the many reissue of certain figures like the Snowtrooper I don't see the need to load up on any one mold when I know another will be out in a few years. If by chance I'm wrong and the whole line goes under then that will give me something to hunt down later.

A wise approach to this often changing aspect of the hobby!
:thumbsup:

DarkArtist
11-29-2006, 01:16 PM
For me it is hard to troop build at the present time do to lack of space and income. True I have a better job with a higher salary yet still need the space and the bills are still present.:sad:

Can't wait to have a house, buying my parents house once they retire, in five years or so, and then at least I might have some room to build a smaller display area where I can have my armies in formation. As far as numbers go, total I have about 200 + clones/ stormies/ pilots/ guards/ scouts/ etc. I usually get about 5 of each clone or at least three. Hoping to get 5 of the Galactic Marine and 3 of Airborne Trooper as well as the other clones that are coming out as the last Saga wave.

Darth Cruel
11-29-2006, 01:53 PM
I definitely agree with not wanting to build sculpts that I think will be upgraded. That is why I have yet to build the Snowtroopers and the 501st Clones and the T.I.E. Fighter Pilots.

I also carefully considered that when I chose to build the AT-AT Drivers and the Death Star Gunners. There are improvements that can be made to those, but so few and so inconsequential that I am of the belief that they will NEVER be improved.

But I am excited about the 442nd Siege Battalion Clone, Commander Appo, the Utapau Parjai Trooper, and all of the other SA troopers coming out. It is gonna be expensive, but it is going to be fun!

I just wish there was some other version of the BlackHole Shadow Stormtrooper like maybe a Sandtrooper version. I like that figure so much that I am looking for reasons to do more troop building with it. And I hope StarWarsShop.com orders the all-black Scout Trooper as an exclusive as well. I would be good for 50 or so of them.

Edit - And now that I think about it, I would be really happy with an all-black #41 clone as well.

jedi master sal
11-29-2006, 03:04 PM
I definitely agree with not wanting to build sculpts that I think will be upgraded. That is why I have yet to build the Snowtroopers and the 501st Clones and the T.I.E. Fighter Pilots.

I also carefully considered that when I chose to build the AT-AT Drivers and the Death Star Gunners. There are improvements that can be made to those, but so few and so inconsequential that I am of the belief that they will NEVER be improved.

But I am excited about the 442nd Siege Battalion Clone, Commander Appo, the Utapau Parjai Trooper, and all of the other SA troopers coming out. It is gonna be expensive, but it is going to be fun!

I just wish there was some other version of the BlackHole Shadow Stormtrooper like maybe a Sandtrooper version. I like that figure so much that I am looking for reasons to do more troop building with it. And I hope StarWarsShop.com orders the all-black Scout Trooper as an exclusive as well. I would be good for 50 or so of them.

Edit - And now that I think about it, I would be really happy with an all-black #41 clone as well.

Ohh, better you than me man. I'm not a huge fan of the Blackhole troopers. Hey were not in the movies and don't play a huge role in the SW galaxy. So in my pocketbooks best interest, I don't army build them. I think I have maybe 2-3 BHS's. Certainly if they came out with variant tropers like a scout I'd get one, but not a squad or battalion like I do all the other troop type figs.

Besides the higher pricepoint makes me cringe.

Mad Slanted Powers
11-30-2006, 10:16 PM
I usually just buy two or three of every army builder figure. In doing so I've ended up with quite a few clones. One of these days when I open all the battle packs and find a nice place to display them, it will be neat to see them all together. Now that I got the Imperial Shuttle, I'll have to consider setting up an Emperor's arrival at Death Star II scene.

Tycho
12-01-2006, 06:03 AM
Great topic!

I build dioramas, as I'm sure ALL the troop buiders do.

That being said, I sort of design them on paper and then test set them up in the space I'm alloting for them to be built in.

The majority of my large dioramas go in display cases I can put up against the walls in my home and decorate as you would terraniums.

When looking towards new scenes, I'd test-set up those scenes on top of the cases that already housed dioramas I'd done.

The Republic Gunship needed to be placed in several of those dioramas and unfortunately has too large of wingspan for the standard 6 foot by 4 foot by 18" wide fixture that you see at many comic shops. When I finally have a large house one day, I'm going to have to buy several custom-made cases that will give me a darn extra 2 inches in width! Grrrr.

Meanwhile, when I test-set, I see how many of each kind of army building character I need to fit into the scene.

I try to save both space and money by taking the "less is more" approach - though you'd be hard-pressed to see that if you were an outsider to this hobby.

I think it's better to "suggest" the army, than to actually deal with it.

I still buy piles of figures, but a few here have greatly surpassed me in the sizes of their armies. I say they're welcome to that.

I did Mos Eisley Spaceport with about 12 Sandtroopers.

The Battle of Endor with 7 stormtroopers, 2 Death Star Troopers, an Imperial Officer, 4 Bikerscouts, 1 AT-ST Driver and so on.

I think Cloud City was covered by 10 Stormtroopers.

My Death Star set up had maybe 9 Stormtroopers and so forth. I closed in on "The Emperor's Arrival" so it just shows Palpatine walking with the one Dignitary that I liked (out of the two they did), and 2 Royal Guards, all coming out of the shuttle as piloted by 2 Imperial Officers. Then the scene hits the glass front of that case. That is all fine by me. If you were Vader or a trooper in the formation at the front of the line, that would be your point of view of it as well. Everyone else lines up their troops in an Emperor's Arrival - my best friend made a nice display out of it, so I have that to admire in his collection.

To be a little different, I chose to do a troop lineup in the style of the end of AOTC when Bail Organa and various dignitaries joined Palpatine and Mas Ameeda on the balcony overlooking the staging ground for all the troops. I'm going to buy the AOTC Sergeant to flesh out my officers in that lineup (probably get 6 or so). I have likely 40 or more AOTC CW SA Clones I hunted down specifically for that scene. For the actual Geonosis scenes the 35 AOTC Sneak Preview figures do just fine. They are clones afterall. It makes sense that they all aim their blasters in the same pose.

Anyway, I built up my Battle Droids, Super Battle Droids, Gungan Grand Army, Naboo Forces, etc. as needed.

jedi master sal
12-01-2006, 09:14 AM
that will give me a darn extra 2 inches in width! Grrrr.

That's what she said...heh heh

I still buy piles of figures, but a few here have greatly surpassed me in the sizes of their armies. I say they're welcome to that.

Now who could you be talking about?

I did Mos Eisley Spaceport with about 12 Sandtroopers.

The Battle of Endor with 7 stormtroopers, 2 Death Star Troopers, an Imperial Officer, 4 Bikerscouts, 1 AT-ST Driver and so on.

I think Cloud City was covered by 10 Stormtroopers.

My Death Star set up had maybe 9 Stormtroopers and so forth.

Those sound reasonable. I'll do my smaller dioramas like these. I just need so many Stormtroopers for all of the different dioramas that I want to do or have done.

To be a little different, I chose to do a troop lineup in the style of the end of AOTC when Bail Organa and various dignitaries joined Palpatine and Mas Ameeda on the balcony overlooking the staging ground for all the troops. I'm going to buy the AOTC Sergeant to flesh out my officers in that lineup (probably get 6 or so). I have likely 40 or more AOTC CW SA Clones I hunted down specifically for that scene. For the actual Geonosis scenes the 35 AOTC Sneak Preview figures do just fine. They are clones afterall. It makes sense that they all aim their blasters in the same pose.

Good idea. I have a crap load of the bootlegs for the AOTC "Pass and Review" scene, so I'll use those and just have to custom a few to be officers.

My SA clones are going into the Battle of Geonosis/Arena Battle Diorama, along with the 3-pack clones and Saga clones. (Remember, I've got over 500 AOTC style clones and they need to go somewhere...heh heh)

Anyway, I built up my Battle Droids, Super Battle Droids, Gungan Grand Army, Naboo Forces, etc. as needed.

Similar as well. I haven't gone wild on those for army building. Just have small armies of about 10-20 Gungans and Naboo troops. SBD's, I have a decent amount. Battle droids, I think I'm up over 100. But I need more. I don't feel I have enough red for the Geo scene, not tan for the Naboo (TPM) and Kashyyk scenes.

-Sal

Tycho
12-01-2006, 02:48 PM
Those sound reasonable. I'll do my smaller dioramas like these. I just need so many Stormtroopers for all of the different dioramas that I want to do or have done.

-Sal

Exactly. Small amounts scattered over all the scenes - they still add up. I probably have 100 stormtroopers (it was 70-something that I once counted up, but I have a box of unopened 1995 style extras that I saved as "just in case I'll need them.")

The unfortunate truth of my situation is that all my 3 3/4" are packed up in storage and I can only pray that everything was placed in there, including the opened cards that had things like E3 Dooku's hands which I removed for the obvious scene, etc. I was hospitalized and didn't pack up this stuff.

It was a crushing blow, to be sure. To recoup: I might have died, or been "normal" in that my rehabilitation after a brain aneurysm would've taken me a much longer time to achieve independence before I could resume living on my own. So my uncle didn't feel it was necessary to rent an empty apartment and he doesn't share our sensibilities over Star Wars collections.

The storage of my collection requires two 6x14 storage units (reasonably near each other (within sight of each other anyway) in an underground basement facility (with no cell phone reception). And I tire easily and am much weaker than I used to be. It took a lot of effort to essentially separate the two storage units into prequel and sequel ones, with areas for my 12" and offshoot lines like the Force Battlers and Galactic Heroes. (I love my 7" Unleashed so much, they came home with me and surround me right now at the computer desk I am typing at, displayed in the shelving "hutch" that wraps around my office center.)

I also brought my loose Jabba the Hutt themed 12" figures home with me because of my anticipation of the SideShow Jabba with Throne environment, and they are also on display (the palace ones) on top of this large wrap-around desk I'm sitting at (with room for that giant Jabba - but barely).

I miss my vehicles for the 3 3/4" line, especially my Republic Gunships and the ARC-170, maybe the E3 Jedi Starfighters. And I hope I still have all of my original Hailfire's missles in the box it was placed in.

When I got out of rehab, I still had the key and the end of my lease on my old apartment, so I went in and covered every inch, finding a few missles, guns, etc. here and there and making sure everything was cleared out. Grrrrr. I was ticked! But elsewhere in the United States, residents of Louisianna had been driven out (or killed) by Katrina, so that put things in some perspective I suppose. "It could be worse." I'd just spent days watching the disaster relief from my hospital bed.

What would make things easier is:

1) If I'd complete and sell my book and break out into the novel business, using some of the money to lock myself into a large home.

1a) Being able to restart working somewhere that would supplement my income by about $1,000 - $2,000 a month, that I would straight on add to my housing budget alone, so I could cover a $3,500 a month mortgage - that would put me in the large 5-bedroom, 2-story, 3-car garage home that I need to set things up.

2) Fund and order the 8-10 more (often custom made) display cases I need for my largest battlefield scenes. They'll keep out dust as well as cats (whom I love - but not in my Star Wars stuff!) and then I can position the larger heavy stuff before the tremblings of movers with large objects knock over any displays I've begun to re-set. Also get in the unusual custom pieces I'm going to need for scenes like the Arena (rather square versus rectangular - it'll have to go in a room's center, so you can walk around this display of several Geonosian Arenas assembled together to make an actual half-round - I'm going to take viewers in from 180 degrees, not 360, as though I am using 4 arena sets, I'm setting it up like ... " ) ( " with one side being the beast / droid battle, the other being the Gunship attack and clone landing. A separate custom 6-foot rectangular setup will house the hailfire scene with the armies charging each other. The Arena set ups still need to be quite large, what with gunships (2) in the one. My plan is to do up my office or my weight room with these displays, so you can walk in, walk around the stuff and admire it, then get to my desk (this very one I'm typing at) but turn around in the swivel chairs and "be on Geonosis." My limited-in-size Tatooine prequel scenes will also likely go in this room - the size exception being a 6-footer I plan to make the podrace arena section in (the start line and stadium seating to display a lot of aliens). If I can pull it off, I'm going to use a large scale model railroad set up (disguised with paper-mache terrain hiding the tracks) to make an actual podrace around the room, and then cannibalize the mobil bases of electric train pieces - those jumbo sized ones - and attach Anakin's and Sebulba's pods to them so they run the course. - There will not be a portion where they fly through the arena area and the racing pits - too much trouble I think. Plus I made a custom Podracer for Ody Mandrell for that scene and it would never survive being put on the track, though the pit is possible - depends on my room though. Geonosis is the priority for the room. Oh, and Mustafar will go in there on a corner table, shielded by plexiglass of course (cat proof / dust proof). I want the majority of these scenes so I don't have to touch them, just have housekeeping wipe off the tops of the covers.

My original Cloud City display was open air, and it was such a pain even using an air-blower duster to get in between the figures who would still fall over - and then I was resetting a scene I had already set up a dozen times before so they'd all be pointing their guns at each other and so forth.

It is frustrating and embarassing to explain to Latina housekeepers who come from such a different background and priorities, and who don't always understand English (I took German in school, not Spanish, OK. I always mean to go back and take es Spanol for my own gratification) how they should handle my SW collection. They have less money, often because they have large families they are helping to care for, and I have spent with inherited cash and credit to amass like probably $40K to $50K worth of this plastic "crap" from which it's hard to explain that a SideShow "Barbie" - to them) that looks like Obi-Wan Kenobi, was $66 to me, let alone Starscream (Transformer) that was $97.12 and from Japan, not Wal-Mart.

And if all that presents a problem, try explaining this to cats! They just look at you and wonder "Yeah, well is that Mouse Droid edible?"

So I want this stuff covered when I get it moved back into a place and to get all the cases and shadow boxes (good to hang small scenes like the birth of the twins on the walls) ordered before I move my collection back out of storage.

Then finally:

3) In the various rooms and future display cases, I pile the stuff I need for each scene in the right room, at the right location, then shut the doors to keep kitties out of most of it (honestly, they haven't messed with my toys in probably 5 years and they are age 7 in human-years now - but I don't take unnecessary chances) That'll be the best way to do my final inventory with my lists of stuff I have / need. (I buy everything currently - but figures of Owen and Beru don't currently exist - neither do 8 "sold separately" AOTC neutral Anakin Skywalker figures I need as well - molded non-pre-posed cloaks or softgoods - but without the rest of the junk in collecting tins etc.)

So this hobby has a big future for me yet, but less so in the hunt-down of new product I might want - moreso in the hunt for my returning to good health (maybe it'll take 2 years and after surgery) so I can secure the right house - or I'll be able to finish and then market my novel sooner than later.

I guess we'll have to wait and see.

It's a journey right now. Somehow I have a good feeling that I'll make it that far though.

Phantom-like Menace
12-01-2006, 11:36 PM
I forgot to add the eight Royal Guards to my army. They're the old salt shakers from a few years back. I never will figure out what some people are doing with Royal Guards that they need legs. Now, I'm looking at the Kir/Carnor advertisement in the lower right-hand corner, and I can see where you need articulation on those. In fact, that reminds me I need to buy those.

jedi master sal
12-04-2006, 08:51 AM
Exactly. Small amounts scattered over all the scenes - they still add up. I probably have 100 stormtroopers (it was 70-something that I once counted up, but I have a box of unopened 1995 style extras that I saved as "just in case I'll need them.")

The unfortunate truth of my situation is that all my 3 3/4" are packed up in storage and I can only pray that everything was placed in there, including the opened cards that had things like E3 Dooku's hands which I removed for the obvious scene, etc. I was hospitalized and didn't pack up this stuff.

It was a crushing blow, to be sure. To recoup: I might have died, or been "normal" in that my rehabilitation after a brain aneurysm would've taken me a much longer time to achieve independence before I could resume living on my own. So my uncle didn't feel it was necessary to rent an empty apartment and he doesn't share our sensibilities over Star Wars collections.

The storage of my collection requires two 6x14 storage units (reasonably near each other (within sight of each other anyway) in an underground basement facility (with no cell phone reception). And I tire easily and am much weaker than I used to be. It took a lot of effort to essentially separate the two storage units into prequel and sequel ones, with areas for my 12" and offshoot lines like the Force Battlers and Galactic Heroes. (I love my 7" Unleashed so much, they came home with me and surround me right now at the computer desk I am typing at, displayed in the shelving "hutch" that wraps around my office center.)

I also brought my loose Jabba the Hutt themed 12" figures home with me because of my anticipation of the SideShow Jabba with Throne environment, and they are also on display (the palace ones) on top of this large wrap-around desk I'm sitting at (with room for that giant Jabba - but barely).

I miss my vehicles for the 3 3/4" line, especially my Republic Gunships and the ARC-170, maybe the E3 Jedi Starfighters. And I hope I still have all of my original Hailfire's missles in the box it was placed in.

When I got out of rehab, I still had the key and the end of my lease on my old apartment, so I went in and covered every inch, finding a few missles, guns, etc. here and there and making sure everything was cleared out. Grrrrr. I was ticked! But elsewhere in the United States, residents of Louisianna had been driven out (or killed) by Katrina, so that put things in some perspective I suppose. "It could be worse." I'd just spent days watching the disaster relief from my hospital bed.

What would make things easier is:

1) If I'd complete and sell my book and break out into the novel business, using some of the money to lock myself into a large home.

1a) Being able to restart working somewhere that would supplement my income by about $1,000 - $2,000 a month, that I would straight on add to my housing budget alone, so I could cover a $3,500 a month mortgage - that would put me in the large 5-bedroom, 2-story, 3-car garage home that I need to set things up.

2) Fund and order the 8-10 more (often custom made) display cases I need for my largest battlefield scenes. They'll keep out dust as well as cats (whom I love - but not in my Star Wars stuff!) and then I can position the larger heavy stuff before the tremblings of movers with large objects knock over any displays I've begun to re-set. Also get in the unusual custom pieces I'm going to need for scenes like the Arena (rather square versus rectangular - it'll have to go in a room's center, so you can walk around this display of several Geonosian Arenas assembled together to make an actual half-round - I'm going to take viewers in from 180 degrees, not 360, as though I am using 4 arena sets, I'm setting it up like ... " ) ( " with one side being the beast / droid battle, the other being the Gunship attack and clone landing. A separate custom 6-foot rectangular setup will house the hailfire scene with the armies charging each other. The Arena set ups still need to be quite large, what with gunships (2) in the one. My plan is to do up my office or my weight room with these displays, so you can walk in, walk around the stuff and admire it, then get to my desk (this very one I'm typing at) but turn around in the swivel chairs and "be on Geonosis." My limited-in-size Tatooine prequel scenes will also likely go in this room - the size exception being a 6-footer I plan to make the podrace arena section in (the start line and stadium seating to display a lot of aliens). If I can pull it off, I'm going to use a large scale model railroad set up (disguised with paper-mache terrain hiding the tracks) to make an actual podrace around the room, and then cannibalize the mobil bases of electric train pieces - those jumbo sized ones - and attach Anakin's and Sebulba's pods to them so they run the course. - There will not be a portion where they fly through the arena area and the racing pits - too much trouble I think. Plus I made a custom Podracer for Ody Mandrell for that scene and it would never survive being put on the track, though the pit is possible - depends on my room though. Geonosis is the priority for the room. Oh, and Mustafar will go in there on a corner table, shielded by plexiglass of course (cat proof / dust proof). I want the majority of these scenes so I don't have to touch them, just have housekeeping wipe off the tops of the covers.

My original Cloud City display was open air, and it was such a pain even using an air-blower duster to get in between the figures who would still fall over - and then I was resetting a scene I had already set up a dozen times before so they'd all be pointing their guns at each other and so forth.

It is frustrating and embarassing to explain to Latina housekeepers who come from such a different background and priorities, and who don't always understand English (I took German in school, not Spanish, OK. I always mean to go back and take es Spanol for my own gratification) how they should handle my SW collection. They have less money, often because they have large families they are helping to care for, and I have spent with inherited cash and credit to amass like probably $40K to $50K worth of this plastic "crap" from which it's hard to explain that a SideShow "Barbie" - to them) that looks like Obi-Wan Kenobi, was $66 to me, let alone Starscream (Transformer) that was $97.12 and from Japan, not Wal-Mart.

And if all that presents a problem, try explaining this to cats! They just look at you and wonder "Yeah, well is that Mouse Droid edible?"

So I want this stuff covered when I get it moved back into a place and to get all the cases and shadow boxes (good to hang small scenes like the birth of the twins on the walls) ordered before I move my collection back out of storage.

Then finally:

3) In the various rooms and future display cases, I pile the stuff I need for each scene in the right room, at the right location, then shut the doors to keep kitties out of most of it (honestly, they haven't messed with my toys in probably 5 years and they are age 7 in human-years now - but I don't take unnecessary chances) That'll be the best way to do my final inventory with my lists of stuff I have / need. (I buy everything currently - but figures of Owen and Beru don't currently exist - neither do 8 "sold separately" AOTC neutral Anakin Skywalker figures I need as well - molded non-pre-posed cloaks or softgoods - but without the rest of the junk in collecting tins etc.)

So this hobby has a big future for me yet, but less so in the hunt-down of new product I might want - moreso in the hunt for my returning to good health (maybe it'll take 2 years and after surgery) so I can secure the right house - or I'll be able to finish and then market my novel sooner than later.

I guess we'll have to wait and see.

It's a journey right now. Somehow I have a good feeling that I'll make it that far though.

Hmm, TYcho, sounds like you took several chapters out of my book for displays...heh heh. THat's cool though heck maybe we should collaborate on these displays. Design them, consult with each other, get materials costs, etc. We both know what we're talking about here. You know I've got a degree in Industrial designso you can trust my building skills as well as reccommendations for materials to use. We could have a SW Collectors Museum East and West...heh. I can't recall the last dollar figure to my collection, but I know it's easily 50K.

Let me know what you think man and maybe we can both get this done together even though we are literally thousands of miles apart. Besides wouldn't that just be too cool!

-Sal

Luuuuuuke
12-07-2006, 08:05 PM
All told I probably have about 200 clone troopers and imperial troopers of all stripes. But my entire Star Wars collection pretty much fits in three plastic bins. I collected some in 1995 early 96, then didn't really start collecting until ROTS.

I'm not a completist because I'm a realist. I know that I will never catch up. I actually have a good paying job and my wife works, so money isn't a huge issue, but I don't feel good about spending too much of it considering I'm married and have a little girl.

I wasn't a big fan of Phantom or AOTC, so I pretty much skipped those. I only have one Darth Maul as a matter of fact, and my AOTC clone army numbers about 18, most of them Hunt for Grievous clones. To be honest, I don't feel a need to add much to my number of AOTC clones. I'll get two of the new Clone Sergeants. Having said that, I will continue to collect AOTC clones, but my "army" will grow in small increments.

ROTS clones is different. I love these clones. I would say about 130 of my clones are ROTS clones. I have about 30 white clones, all told, maybe a little more; I have about 20 each of the Utapau, the 501st(both JTA and TAc Ops) and the Shockies. I've stopped collecting these though I will buy any completely differerent version of these like Commander Appo(but no more than 4 of).

I only have one Bly and two of his clones, so I will buy one or two sets of the battlepacks when they come out. Thankfully I do not consider these to be major, major clones. I'll get about 6 Galactic Marines and Kashyyk troopers. Again, to me these are complimentary clones, not main clones.

The good thing is I skip main character figures pretty much, and a lot of other non-clones. And I skip most of the vehicles and I don't collect Galactic Heroes or Attaktix or Unleashed or the non-clone battlepacks.

I'm all about basic figures pretty much. But it still adds up. But right now, my issues are more with space than with money.

Strangely, I don't have a single Battle Droid, which is a little ironic given how many friggin' clones I have:D

Phantom-like Menace
12-07-2006, 11:58 PM
ROTS clones is different. I love these clones.

They were certainly the gateway drug to my current army building. I'm currently hitting the cheap heroine that is the Saga sandtrooper.

Strangely, I don't have a single Battle Droid, which is a little ironic given how many friggin' clones I have:D

I'm almost that bad. I've only got a handful of battle droids, super battle droids and destroyer droids.

Tycho
12-08-2006, 12:09 AM
The BattleDroid 2-packs will help you guys out I'm sure (not sure about the plastic's quality though - TPM had the best BattleDroids, and then it went downhill from there).

As to space for the figures - that's a very serious problem for us all.

As we move on in life, I suggest buying real estate - that really doesn't go wrong anyway - and getting a large home with space for a trophy room or understanding from a wife and offspring.

Mad Slanted Powers
12-08-2006, 02:18 AM
They were certainly the gateway drug to my current army building. I'm currently hitting the cheap heroine that is the Saga sandtrooper.

I'm almost that bad. I've only got a handful of battle droids, super battle droids and destroyer droids.If they made those droids as good as clones, we'd probably all have more of them.

jedi master sal
12-08-2006, 08:36 AM

Heh heh, my "drug" of choice at the moment too. Those Sandies are excellent. Rub off the paint and BAM Stormtrooper. Just takes a little elbow grease...

I'm almost that bad. I've only got a handful of battle droids, super battle droids and destroyer droids.

Heh, my clones out number battle droid at least 7 if not 8 to 1 (as in 800 to 100). With all the refreshed clones coming next year, plus the new ones remaining form this year and news one next year, it's doubtful I'll ever get close to even. And I doon't think I even want to. I'd rather have an overwhelming force of clones, shredding up those rustbucket battle droids.

If they made those droids as good as clones, we'd probably all have more of them.

You got that right. I was so disappointed with subsequent battle droid releases, that it made me scale back how many of those I collected. In fact going back to TPM, I didn't like the shot and slashed versions and only mildy liked the dirty version. I just wanted CLEAN ones. The "factory" mold battle droid is "ok," so I'll get more, especially since they will be a two pack, but I long for the return of the TPM mold battle droid for it's poseability and sturdy plastic. Those I'd go NUTS for.

-Sal

Phantom-like Menace
12-08-2006, 11:50 PM
Heh heh, my "drug" of choice at the moment too. Those Sandies are excellent. Rub off the paint and BAM Stormtrooper. Just takes a little elbow grease...

Thankfully I don't have the resources to hit the retail junky as much as you do, but the downside is that I'm a little leary of trying to remove the sand on the few troopers I do have for fear that if the paint removal agent were to cause the figure to fall apart, I might follow its lead. Also, I'm convinced that one day I will make the custom Tom Servo figure for four of my Sandies to play Troops.

Heh, my clones out number battle droid at least 7 if not 8 to 1 (as in 800 to 100). With all the refreshed clones coming next year, plus the new ones remaining form this year and news one next year, it's doubtful I'll ever get close to even. And I doon't think I even want to. I'd rather have an overwhelming force of clones, shredding up those rustbucket battle droids.

It doesn't matter too much for me as most of my clones are arrayed in one army on my entertainment center. An army in parade formation doesn't need enemies. If I absolutely dug out every single battle droid, super battle droid, and destroyer droid--including ones that came with playsets and vehicles, my clones would out number my droids by almost ten to one, which speaks more to how few droids I have more than how many clones I have.

Darth Cruel
12-10-2006, 06:50 AM
Like a lot of you, I am disappointed with the Battle Droids. If they ever do a super-articulated one, I will be all over them. But until then, it is one to keep carded. I only have any opened because I was hoping to discover great sculpts in them and a few because they came with a bunch of loose clones I bought from a friend. But I still have fewer around 10 total opened.

JON9000
12-12-2006, 02:18 PM
sturdy plastic

Has this ever been an "Ask Hasbro" question? It would be interesting to hear if they've acknowledged the sub-par nature of previous BDs and have rectified the situation, particularly now that 2 packs are coming out. If the plastic is good, I wouldn't mind a crew of a dozen battle droids. I'm not going to bother, though, if they suck quality wise.

dindae
12-12-2006, 02:29 PM
Yeah it was. The answer is that the hard plastic in the slender BD mold has a higher likelyhood of splintering into dangerous pieces for little kids. So they have to use a softer plastic. They know it is an issue better would rather have saggy droids than lawsuits.

Dominic Guglieme
12-12-2006, 07:55 PM
Would a super articulated droid work aesthetically though? As it is, we have some aesthetic troubles with the number 41 clone body. Almost any time regimental heraldry is applied to the shoulders, it looks wrong (most notably on the Utapau trooper) owing to the off-colored stripe in the middle.

I do not like the Saga sand-trooper as much as some do. The hips seem a bit off. (The upcoming removeable mask trooper has some appeal. And, the paint will likely come off just as easily. :yes: )

Space and money are constant factors for me. In terms of troop-building, I like the basic white #41 clone, treated with ELO. I also have a few of the red troopers from the Senate Skirmish pack.

Of course, what I really want: more long rifles

Darth Cruel
12-12-2006, 09:29 PM
Would a super articulated droid work aesthetically though? As it is, we have some aesthetic troubles with the number 41 clone body. Almost any time regimental heraldry is applied to the shoulders, it looks wrong (most notably on the Utapau trooper) owing to the off-colored stripe in the middle.

I do not like the Saga sand-trooper as much as some do. The hips seem a bit off. (The upcoming removeable mask trooper has some appeal. And, the paint will likely come off just as easily. :yes: )

Space and money are constant factors for me. In terms of troop-building, I like the basic white #41 clone, treated with ELO. I also have a few of the red troopers from the Senate Skirmish pack.

Of course, what I really want: more long rifles

Here is something that might help:

http://www.hasbro.com/forms/orderform.cfm?prod=Star%20Wars%20Clone%20Commander %2033%20Episode%203&sku=85422

Tycho
12-12-2006, 09:33 PM
Where did you find that Darth Cruel?

Darth Cruel
12-12-2006, 09:37 PM
Where did you find that Darth Cruel?

Hasbro's web page. I will look for the main page that the list of them is on, but there are very few.The commander is the only 3 3/4" figure, Anakin/Vader Ultimate Villain is the only 12" figure and the Republic Gunship is the only ship on the list of spare parts order forms. I will get a link up in a few minutes.

Use the alphabetized pull-down menus under "S" for Star Wars.

http://www.hasbro.com/default.cfm?page=cs_parts

Tycho
12-12-2006, 09:43 PM
Very cool. I don't think I need anything right now, but it's good to know. I'm actually very scared that once I can complete an accurate inventory of my collection, I'll need things like Dooku's hands which might be next to impossible to get when the time comes.

Jargo
12-12-2006, 10:25 PM
I used to troop build. but since I stripped down my collection I have squads now. and only of OT imperials. and of those only sand/stormtroopers. And i only saved those because i'm not sure exactly how I'll display stuff or how many i'll want.

I suppose if anything I'll only have a 'troop' of astro droids. i've bought the EE droids sets and will be customising them. like turning R2-X2 into a decent R2-Q5 and R2-C4 into a decent R2-D2. plus some Tatooine astro droids. I think i planned on turning R3-T2 into R2-G2. and so on. ( I'm in he process of going through all the movies makinga comprehensive list of all the astro droids seen. and using the best sculpt available creating the ones i want. I need an extra R3-T6 to make R3-O1 the blue death star 1 astro droid. I'll do a few R5 droids too.

weird thing is, after watching these movies over and over, I'm just now finding droids in the movies i've never seen before. blink and you miss them. for example as Ric-920 taxis Anaki and padme to Watto's shop in AOTC and you see the R5-D4 like droid rolling the other way, behind them there are wo other droids, a red one and a white one with green markings. in TPM in the pod hangar, close to Sebulba's pod is a grey R2 with yellow markings welding. I found R3-T7 and R2-N6 on coruscant pasing the alley where the rear exit of the outlander club is. checking the matte painting of the death star 2 hangar there are two imperial R5 droids and four R2 droids there. I want all these droids. hasbro is unlikely to produce them all so i'll do them .

and once I'm done with astro droids, I'll take ewok village threepio and do all the protocol droids. even the one from the sandcrawler who looks like the back of his head is missing.

oops - rambling. and I'm not even here either.

Tycho
12-12-2006, 11:27 PM
Right now I'm R2-Confused. I really don't know my astromechs.

Darth Cruel
12-13-2006, 12:21 PM
I have finally been able to start the troop-building on the 442nd Siege Battalion and 5th Fleet Security Clone Troopers. I only have 2 of each that I can open, but it is a start! That is 8 versions of the #41 Clone Trooper sculpt now. We have Commander Gree, The Covert Ops Trooper, the regular Clone Trooper, The Utapau Clone Trooper, The Shock Trooper, Mace Windu's Attack Battalion trooper, The 442nd Siege Battalion Trooper, and the 5th Fleet Security Clone Trooper.

And 2 more to come with Appo, and the 501st.

I won't be troop-building the Commanders, but the other 8 will look cool in the formation!

Darth Cruel
12-19-2006, 05:06 PM
I was boxing up my carded Utapau Clones last night and came to find that I have 67 of them. And they are starting to choke the pegs around here...apparently because I am concentrating on the 442nd and 5th fleet clones right now.

I picked up three 442nd and four 5th Fleet Security Clones today bringing my total to 10 and 11 respectively. I am also thinking about building the battle droids. But I have only found three of those. I don't like the articulation on those, but they look nice.

Tycho
12-19-2006, 05:26 PM
I haven't bought any of those when I've seen them.

I can't place them in the movie, if at all. I do like EU, but I tend to specifically prefer what I can relate to comics and books.

I don't understand all the Galactic Army of the Republic's organization.

"The 5th Fleet," for example. How many Fleets are there? Does Cody, Bly, Gree, Bacara, Neyo, Deviss, Scorch, and other Clones we know belong to any of these Fleets? Which ones? Fleets are a term for the Republic Navy, Imperial Navy. So some Army or "military police clones" serve as security on the ships? I can imagine that. But as I said, who does the 5th Fleet Security Clones serve with (what Commander and Officers)? Are they going to make 1-4 Fleet Troopers as well?

Who are the 442nd? Is this a Battalion Number? What about the 1st through 441? How many are there?

If they're going to get this detailed, do the 442nds serve in any famous campaign that they get figures? Who was their Jedi General? Their Clone Commander? Captain?

How specific are they going to get:

squad?
platoon?
company?
batallion?
regiment?
corp?
division?

I'm not sure I even got that ranking order right?

If someone was really as obsessed with Clones as it's possible, I think they'd want to learn the answers to these questions.

Otherwise, and most likely, Hasbro is just making up numbers for arbitrary figures, and I don't feel like making arbitrary purchases for arbitrary armies.

jedi master sal
12-19-2006, 05:38 PM
I was boxing up my carded Utapau Clones last night and came to find that I have 67 of them. And they are starting to choke the pegs around here...apparently because I am concentrating on the 442nd and 5th fleet clones right now.

I picked up three 442nd and four 5th Fleet Security Clones today bringing my total to 10 and 11 respectively. I am also thinking about building the battle droids. But I have only found three of those. I don't like the articulation on those, but they look nice.

Good job on the 442nd and 5th Fleet Security Clones. I still have NONE of them. :( I'm only looking to build a squad or two out of each of those troopers. (4-8 of each)

I still haven't decided about the battle droids, but that's because I haven't found it yet...

I'm still asking for help out there. Anyone?

Darth Cruel
12-19-2006, 06:06 PM
I haven't bought any of those when I've seen them.

I can't place them in the movie, if at all. I do like EU, but I tend to specifically prefer what I can relate to comics and books.

I don't understand all the Galactic Army of the Republic's organization.

"The 5th Fleet," for example. How many Fleets are there? Does Cody, Bly, Gree, Bacara, Neyo, Deviss, Scorch, and other Clones we know belong to any of these Fleets? Which ones? Fleets are a term for the Republic Navy, Imperial Navy. So some Army or "military police clones" serve as security on the ships? I can imagine that. But as I said, who does the 5th Fleet Security Clones serve with (what Commander and Officers)? Are they going to make 1-4 Fleet Troopers as well?

Who are the 442nd? Is this a Battalion Number? What about the 1st through 441? How many are there?

If they're going to get this detailed, do the 442nds serve in any famous campaign that they get figures? Who was their Jedi General? Their Clone Commander? Captain?

How specific are they going to get:

squad?
platoon?
company?
batallion?
regiment?
corp?
division?

I'm not sure I even got that ranking order right?

If someone was really as obsessed with Clones as it's possible, I think they'd want to learn the answers to these questions.

Otherwise, and most likely, Hasbro is just making up numbers for arbitrary figures, and I don't feel like making arbitrary purchases for arbitrary armies.

LFL gets a pass on this one as there is no set naming system for units. For Example: We have the 101st Airborn Division...but there are not 101 Airborn Divisions. There are a sum total of 2 and an Airborn Brigade, the 173rd. There are also 5 Infantry Divisions, the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 25th. The same goes for Brigades, Battalions, et al. Even though larger units are made of the smaller units...there can still be the smaller units standing alone such as the afore mentioned 82nd and 101st Airborn Divisions...and then the 173rd Airborn Brigade.
The numbering and naming of the units is not a simple structure. The designations are derived from different sources. For example the 25th Infantry Division may have that designation because there USED to be 25 Infantry Divisions but some were absorbed into other units or disbanded as non-necessities OR it was a smaller unit call the 25th something and grew into a Division due to necessities of it's mission changing. It is usually some type of re-structuring that causes the gaps in the unit number designations, but not always. I believe that there have been units retired as an honor to that unit (much like retiring a football jersey). So, in effect, LFL could make as many units as they want, pull designations out of their hats, and not explain it, and it couldn't be differentiated from real militaries by how the units are designated.

Good job on the 442nd and 5th Fleet Security Clones. I still have NONE of them. :( I'm only looking to build a squad or two out of each of those troopers. (4-8 of each)

I still haven't decided about the battle droids, but that's because I haven't found it yet...

I am keeping an eye on your status Sal. You have my word that (after I get my initial 20) you will not go completely 442nd and 5th Fleetless. I am just watching to see if either you find some, or I get a few more. If you don't have any by the time I get my minimum requirement of 20...I'll start sending a few your way. It won't be many as I have a buddy who is a fellow army builder and we swore an oath to split what we find, But I'll get a few to you if you continue to get skunked.

dindae
12-19-2006, 06:10 PM

I believe it goes up to at least 501. :D

Send me a PM of what you need. I'm not hunting much since I am caught up but I have seen some the few times I have been out.

Tycho
12-19-2006, 06:15 PM
On a sidenote, a 501(c)(3) is the tax code for a non-profit organization, which is why I think the 501st Legion originally chose that number for their costuming club. Vader's Fist legion was named as a tribute to that fan group which provides many forms of charity work done by fellow Star Wars fan enthusiasts.

Phantom-like Menace
12-20-2006, 12:20 AM
Not only are the number designations often more or less arbitrary, but sometimes they are intentionally confusing. You don't want the enemy to know how many you have. You don't want your enemy to know you have five divisions, so they become the 1st, 3rd, 6th, 11th, and 12th Divisions.

It's not unheard of for the same group to have two different numerical designations. Let's say you have three fleets. Maybe one is called 1st Fleet, another is called 4th fleet, but the final one is called 6th Fleet when engaging in defensive operations but 9th Fleet when offensive--even though both the 6th and 9th Fleets have the exact same ships and the exact same commander.

Then they can really start getting funny by having numerical designations for armies and fleets that don't even exist just to confuse the enemy even more.

Tycho
12-20-2006, 12:26 AM
I remember when Apollo and Starbuck were alone in their Vipers and made up squadrons like that to confuse the Cylons.

Mad Slanted Powers
12-20-2006, 12:34 AM
I remember when Apollo and Starbuck were alone in their Vipers and made up squadrons like that to confuse the Cylons.

Purple and Orange squadrons! They even confused their own people for a moment.

vader121
12-20-2006, 09:10 AM
I like to army build too but don't have anywhere near the amount you have.

However I am curious on how you are able to get so many? Do you take advantage of sales or just buy them when you see them?

I myself do take advantage of decent sales and load up on some figures.
I still need to find a way to display them properly as my display space is clogged with vintage.

Tycho
12-20-2006, 09:27 AM
Well, when I really army built, I bought everything I saw. I turned to the credit card back in the days when I had to, but don't really do that any longer.

I did make sure I paid it all off, hehe. The interest will kill you.

But with Star Wars, there are huge "dry spells," so if you aren't a toy addict (collecting other lines, whatever just to get a happy fix every time you go to a store), you can pay for your armies.

It's also the unwritten rule of collecting - buy it when you see it. You can return it if you have to, but you may not eventually get another chance to purchase it at retail.

Sales help - but I generally have all I need of a certain figure by the time they might ever go on sale.

jedi master sal
12-20-2006, 09:48 AM
I like to army build too but don't have anywhere near the amount you have.

However I am curious on how you are able to get so many? Do you take advantage of sales or just buy them when you see them?

I myself do take advantage of decent sales and load up on some figures.
I still need to find a way to display them properly as my display space is clogged with vintage.

Not only do I buy why I see it, but I've made friends with several people here who look out for me and buy figs for me at cost. By doing so, in affect they help themselves by clearing up some pegs that might not otherwise, thereby proving the store with the ability to order more new product in. I've literally bought troopers from all over the U.S.A. because of making these connections with folks.

Though while I have over 100 Utapau troopers, I still have yet to get any 442nd Fleet or 5th Security troopers. Disheartening it is....

D_C thanks for the offer and I may have need of it as I've been extremely UNLUCKY at finding these. I actually dont' have ANY figures from the wave. I'm looking for the Battle Droids, Super Battle Droids, the black R5 unit, as well as Holo Cody, and the aforementioned clones.

-Sal

JON9000
12-20-2006, 01:36 PM
Though while I have over 100 Utapau troopers, I still have yet to get any 442nd Fleet or 5th Security troopers. Disheartening it is....

D_C thanks for the offer and I may have need of it as I've been extremely UNLUCKY at finding these. I actually dont' have ANY figures from the wave. I'm looking for the Battle Droids, Super Battle Droids, the black R5 unit, as well as Holo Cody, and the aforementioned clones.

-Sal

but these are brand new figures... I doubt they have shipped yet, because I've seen a number of stores with flat out empty Star Wars pegs, or pegs with figures I haven't seen since the beginning of the year (which leads me to believe they are cleaning out the recesses of the "back room"). If they are indiscriminately stuffing pegs as is likely this time of year, we would have at least seen something.

Patience! For the Jedi there is time to eat, as well.

I haven't seen a trace of the Cantina Band tin.

Darth Cruel
12-20-2006, 02:10 PM

If you meant me...I do hit sales (and I am exstatic when I can get some troop-builders on clearance), but I do not wait for them. I simply chose a line of work that would support my family comfortably AND my money-ravenous collection.

-Sal

I will let you know when I have extras and you can tell me if you need them then.

but these are brand new figures... I doubt they have shipped yet, because I've seen a number of stores with flat out empty Star Wars pegs, or pegs with figures I haven't seen since the beginning of the year (which leads me to believe they are cleaning out the recesses of the "back room"). If they are indiscriminately stuffing pegs as is likely this time of year, we would have at least seen something.

The Cantina Band sets are all over near me...except for the Wal-Marts that I go to. And wave 8 IS hitting, I have seen it at Target at least 4 times.

jedi master sal
12-20-2006, 04:10 PM

JON, they are still a plenty in my area. If you want one that bad, and will pay for cost plus shipping, I'd be more than happy to pick up the set for you. Just let me know.

-Sal

Luuuuuuke
12-21-2006, 07:55 PM
As of today, done troop building this wave. I now have 6 of the 442nd, 6 of the Fifth Fleet and 3 of the AOTC clones.

I expect to limit myself to 6 of the wave 9 clones.

figrin bran
12-21-2006, 11:14 PM
JON, they are still a plenty in my area. If you want one that bad, and will pay for cost plus shipping, I'd be more than happy to pick up the set for you. Just let me know.

-Sal

Sal, i want a cantina band tin set and will pay for cost plus shipping!

jedi master sal
12-22-2006, 01:29 AM
Sal, i want a cantina band tin set and will pay for cost plus shipping!

I'll check tomorrow for you.

Darth Cruel
12-23-2006, 07:22 PM
I am almost there! I found 6 more of each at TRU this morning! That brings me to 19 of the 5th Fleet and 18 of the 442nd. One of the 5th Fleet doesn't really count, though, because his arm broke. So 2 more of each and I will be on the home stretch!

Mad Slanted Powers
12-23-2006, 08:25 PM
Still nothing new today, but I picked up three more older troops - Greatest Hits Shock Trooper and Clone Trooper (based on ROTS #41 I think) and a TSC Orange Clone Trooper.

figrin bran
12-23-2006, 08:27 PM
i was about to add another sandtrooper to my squadron but left it on the pegs due to poor paint apps around the eyes.

jedi master sal
12-23-2006, 09:48 PM
I am almost there! I found 6 more of each at TRU this morning! That brings me to 19 of the 5th Fleet and 18 of the 442nd. One of the 5th Fleet doesn't really count, though, because his arm broke. So 2 more of each and I will be on the home stretch!

Good scores. Still jonesin' for the troopers. One person here did find 3 of one and I think 1 of the other for me. I still have to pay them for that. But it's begun. I'll still need some help, but I'm not building these up as much as other troops.

jedi master sal
12-23-2006, 09:49 PM
i was about to add another sandtrooper to my squadron but left it on the pegs due to poor paint apps around the eyes.

F_B, I checked on the Cantina set for you as promised and my local WM was sold out. I was really surprised, because they had something like 15 or so of them just a couple of days ago. I'll keep checking though. I'm sure this is jus the last Christmas push/rush. So more should start showing up after the holidays.

Darth Cruel
01-03-2007, 08:06 PM
I am one 5th fleet security away from my desired minimum on the 442nd and 5th fleet trooper clones. Soon...very soon.

Val Da Car
01-03-2007, 09:42 PM
F_B, I checked on the Cantina set for you as promised and my local WM was sold out. I was really surprised, because they had something like 15 or so of them just a couple of days ago. I'll keep checking though. I'm sure this is jus the last Christmas push/rush. So more should start showing up after the holidays.

I have a WM near me that just clearanced them out for $15 (saw the shelf tag) but none left.. but I can keep an eye out since I am aware another store has several of them and other tins but I am not sure of the markdowns as of yet.

figrin bran
01-03-2007, 10:15 PM
I have a WM near me that just clearanced them out for $15 (saw the shelf tag) but none left.. but I can keep an eye out since I am aware another store has several of them and other tins but I am not sure of the markdowns as of yet.

Thanks Val! your help is greatly appreciated!

JON9000
01-04-2007, 02:52 PM
JEEZ - they never even saw the shelf here... If anybody finds the cantina band, please pick one up for me and I'll paypal you!!

Mad Slanted Powers
01-04-2007, 08:35 PM
I was just reminded by an e-mail that I have Wave 9 on order from EE, so I should at least get that bunch. I didn't order Wave 8 because I don't need Chewie, Maul or Kit, and some of the troops are also in the Wave 9 case. So, there shouldn't be too many that I still need to get.

Val Da Car
01-04-2007, 08:49 PM
JEEZ - they never even saw the shelf here... If anybody finds the cantina band, please pick one up for me and I'll paypal you!!

I will be stopping by another WM tonight and when I was there last they had about 6 Cantina at the $26.84 price point.

JON9000
01-10-2007, 04:47 PM
If you managed to snag one, just holler!

Val Da Car
01-11-2007, 05:44 PM
If you managed to snag one, just holler!

I got two sets of the Band today and they still had like six more....As soon as I take the pictures off the phone I will post them.