PDA

View Full Version : Rising Sun

Tycho
11-29-2006, 05:14 AM
Sean Connery and Wesley Snipes in a mystery-thriller that takes you into the heart of Japanese economic ascension over the United States. Prostitution, bribery, political corruption, and video doctoring all fit in to this one.

You might have to watch it several times to figure out who's working for whom and who all the players are.

If you like it complicated and a bit exotic, this is the movie for you then.

Connery and Snipes performances are great, as to be expected from these actors (usually).

I believe it's "Mako" that plays Connery's wife and Snipes' forbidden love interest. It wasn't exactly clear to me when I glanced at the credits. In any case she was a beautiful woman.

Several of the other sexual fantasy girls were pretty fine, too - especially the one playing with herself on the bed during Snipes' interrogation of her - and the murder victim herself - whom almost everything is shown of (moreso than most movies dare to go for sure). [You have to make allowances for Tycho's interest in gratuitous shots here. He likes that sort of thing.]

Oh, and the Lamborghini was a nice touch, as were the martial arts sequences.

2-1B
11-29-2006, 07:10 AM
Mako is a dude. He played the wizard in the Conan movies.

Darth Jax
11-29-2006, 08:19 AM
are you referring to tia carrere (sch-wing) tycho?

Tycho
11-29-2006, 09:46 AM
are you referring to tia carrere (sch-wing) tycho?

Maybe. She said she was half Japanese, half black American (in the movie) though that doesn't mean the actress actually was.

LOL - that I thought Mako could have been the chick. That gave me a great laugh Caesar.

JediTricks
11-29-2006, 04:51 PM
Poor Mako.

This movie is a bit too ridiculous for my tastes, Connery has screen presence but feels very silly with more of his fake Japanese routine ("You only Live Twice" was almost unbearable because of it). Snipes has yet to find his acting legs, so he's over-the-top in every scene and it doesn't help that the script makes him an idiot at every turn. There is some interesting commentary on the behavior of who does what in this corporate murder thriller, but the "evidence" technology is way above and beyond. Plus, Tia Carrere with her fake deformed hand was too much chuckle for me.

Tycho
11-29-2006, 05:28 PM
To this day I never noticed her hand! I'll have to look for that when I watch the movie again. I thought she was speaking about the Japanese racist attitude (figuratively) when she said she was deformed (as in half-black). Wow. The things you pick up in discussion. Thanks JT.

2-1B
11-29-2006, 08:34 PM
Snipes has yet to find his acting legs

and his tax receipts. lol lol lol

to me, Tia Carrere will always be Cassandra from Wayne's World...but she did go full frontal in Showdown in Little Tokyo so bless her heart for that.

Darth Jax
11-29-2006, 08:54 PM
that could be some interesting threads if tycho next moves on to dolph lundgren's body of work. some of the drivel he's been in never even should've seen the inside of a blockbuster.

tia is as you said caes (will be forevermore) cassandra. that's a movie that hasn't aged well.

and yes tycho her hand is why she was an outcast.

Tycho
11-29-2006, 09:07 PM
Actually, I picked up psycho-sexual thrillers for this evening's choices. [I can sense the moderators all getting some aspirins in anticipation of tonight's posts]. But I'll do my best to behave.

Darth Jax
11-29-2006, 10:39 PM
Actually, I picked up psycho-sexual thrillers for this evening's choices. [I can sense the moderators all getting some aspirins in anticipation of tonight's posts]. But I'll do my best to behave.

i'm sure you'll try your best to avoid being banned.

so that might mean you'll be watching jade, bound and basic instinct then?

Tycho
11-29-2006, 11:14 PM
so that might mean you'll be watching jade, bound and basic instinct then?

Actually, I've only heard of one of those movies (the most obvious). But my first review is going up now. Unfortunately, I think it will be disappointing - but that's the movie, not me.

2-1B
11-29-2006, 11:19 PM
Jade is awesome.

Tycho
11-29-2006, 11:35 PM
Jade is awesome.

Care to elaborate or start a thread about it?

And why do I keep thinking it's about Mara Jade-Skywalker?

[MAJOR NERD ALERT! - see Tycho]

JediTricks
11-30-2006, 06:49 PM
I didn't remember that this movie's based on a Michael Crichton novel, usually Michael Crichton movies are better than this (not all though).

To this day I never noticed her hand! I'll have to look for that when I watch the movie again. I thought she was speaking about the Japanese racist attitude (figuratively) when she said she was deformed (as in half-black). Wow. The things you pick up in discussion. Thanks JT.Suprised you missed it, it's a major element of her character, it's why she's double-shunned by her Japanese society - she's mixed-race and she's deformed.

to me, Tia Carrere will always be Cassandra from Wayne's WorldThat's who she'll be to me too.

...but she did go full frontal in Showdown in Little Tokyo so bless her heart for that. It was a body-double in that movie.

Darth Jax
11-30-2006, 08:46 PM
I didn't remember that this movie's based on a Michael Crichton novel, usually Michael Crichton movies are better than this (not all though).

It was a body-double in that movie.

and as with pretty much any book i've ever read thats been turned into a movie, the book is always better.

thanks for ruining that for the rest of us.

Phantom-like Menace
12-01-2006, 12:31 AM
I'll usually catch Rising Sun if I'm flipping through channels looking for something to watch and it's there, but if I want to catch Wesley Snipes in an Asian-flavored movie, I'll watch The Art of War. Marie Matiko is quite cute.

It was a body-double in that movie.

Yeah, that's a shame. I suprisingly lost almost all interest in that movie after learning that. As far as I understand, the only nude she has done was that Playboy from a couple of years ago.

She'll always be Cassandra for me too (and Cassandra was hot, so it's a good look on her), but I liked the first Wayne's World when it first came out and still like it. I've always tended to think of Tia Carrere as going down hill the moment Schwarzenegger introduced her to cigars in True Lies.

BountyHunterScum
12-01-2006, 08:23 PM
The only good thing about this movie is Eddie Sakamura's Vector W8 Twin Turbo. I used to like this movie but as with stuff like this it's always some subliminal racial issue. Plenty of other better Japanese themed movies. Crichton quit the movie after they changed Webb Smith's character into a black guy. Most likely because they took a perfectly good story and turned it into a racial movie. They always manage to ruin it one way or another.