PDA

View Full Version : WOTC Starship Battles reviews/kudos/complaints

RJarvis
11-29-2006, 03:28 PM
howdy all...i was fortunate (?) enough to pick up a couple of the booster packs today and i must report that some of our collective fears regarding quality are confirmed...there are, however some high points worthy of note...

i'm not exactly sure how to go about doing this, so it'll probably take a couple of posts to get it all in...

i've currently got three ships sitting in front of me:
venator class -
pros:

extremely good detail (better even than the old micros...reminiscent of the furuta trek stuff or the konami battlestar ships)

great paint job (much better than the Galoob micros...accurately applied with very few misses or oversprays

size is great (slightly larger than the titanium venator and to me, the sculpt is better...will try to get a side-by-side photo)
cons:

plastic is indeed soft (too soft and it has some warping as a result)

it's not put together properly (this could be just mine, the the "bridge" section isn't seated on the hull well and looks like it would fly off if it were to enter an actual atmosphere :lipsrsealed:)

it's hollow (and it shows...)
cloakshape fighter
pros:

great design and execution

nice addition to the sw universe

again sculpt and paint apps are excellent
cons:

size (it's about 1 1/2 inches long and about an inch wide)
ep2 jedi star fighter
pros:

it's cute
cons:

it's cute (paint apps are lacking as is the detail...it looks like a 1988 hallmark ornament) overall, this is a promising line for those of us still hungering for sw micros, but don't get your hopes up too high...from what i've seen thus far, the ones that are good are great and the ones that are bad are REALLY bad...i'd really love to get my hands on an ep2 republic assaut ship and a banking clan frigate, but that will take more $ and that stuff just don't grow on trees

i'll try to post a complete list of that i've come up with later

ross

JediTricks
11-29-2006, 10:29 PM
Interesting. How much did these set you back? Are they removable from their bases or sculpted/glued in?

sergiurusu
11-30-2006, 04:28 AM
My good friend Toyguy made a nice WOTC starships critique HERE (http://threads.rebelscum.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=2270744&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1#Post2274350#2270744)

RJarvis
11-30-2006, 11:03 PM
Interesting. How much did these set you back? Are they removable from their bases or sculpted/glued in?

not cheap...$20 per box of 7...and i've not opened a class 3 to know for sure, but the class 2 ships i've opened (venator and home one [i've also got the invisible hand, but i don't like it at all and will probably get rid of it at some point]), both are glued to their stands but can be removed with a little gentle persuasion...the class 4 ships that i've opened are very easily removable from their stands and not terribly difficult to get back on...a couple appear to have been glued, but there either wasn't enough glue or it just didn't hold at all...

hope this helps

ross

sicqnus
12-01-2006, 02:46 AM
Some of them are pretty nice, especially the bigger ones.
Others are interesting like the Ventress ship or the Virago (wich is amazing).
The capital ships are ok but the simple fact that they have made several never made
before starships (Interdictor, Banking clan frigate, etc...) is worth the purchase.
I'm sure our friend BC3 is becoming very excited about these are they are pretty close
to the Micro-Machines.
On the other end, some are so poorly made... It's half a disapointment. The Tie fighters and X-wings
are a joke but it's no big deal as there are enough cool starships to bag in those series.
Other cool thing to me is all the starships have been released at once.

JediTricks
12-01-2006, 02:38 PM
Thanks for the info. $2.85 per vehicle does seem a tad high, almost double the price of MMs, and it's blind-packed, right? Still, it's probably worth looking into picking up a set to see if they're worth it, especially since they come off their stands.

BountyHunterScum
12-01-2006, 03:42 PM
Thanks for the info. $2.85 per vehicle does seem a tad high, almost double the price of MMs, and it's blind-packed, right? Still, it's probably worth looking into picking up a set to see if they're worth it, especially since they come off their stands.

They need to do a Star Destroyer mega set, all classes of Star Destroyer from Venator to Imperial and so on.

Warstar
12-02-2006, 12:53 AM

Sets on Ebay were going for upwards of $400- which is about, what- $6-$7 a ship? Kinda' nuts really, but I would like to get into this game- just so I could play!

Val Da Car
12-02-2006, 09:14 PM
Does anyone think some of the MM's from the ROTS or some of the Titaniums that have and are out would be good alternates for the SW game?

Slave 1 (ROTS release) Boba Fett
Imperial Shuttle (ROTS release)
Imperial Shuttle (Titanium)
Venator (Titanium)
Republic Cruiser (Titanium)

Thanks in advance.

JediTricks
12-04-2006, 03:52 PM
Sets make sense if you have NOBODY to trade with and don't want to buy a lot of blind-packs looking for the rarest pieces, even then $7 a pop is just ridiculous at this point, wait till they hit in full force and see how hard it really is to get them before you decide to drop that much coin.

Val Da Car
12-06-2006, 06:05 PM
At the Super Target near the SW FLorida Airport I picked up another Rebel Blockade runner.

I think I might do a class 2/3 fight without fighters with the Titaniums.

Or I am just tired from working 30 hours in the past 36.:whip:

Jangu Fett
12-08-2006, 09:42 AM
These are incredible, I picked up a couple of boosters and am really impressed. The pics on the web doesn't do any justice to these. Out of the few I have, the Virago is the best. Only 1 problem, it's mounted upside-down on stand. You'd think Hasbro would notice things like this. Then again, look at Greivous' Wheelbike.?. The seat is on the wrong side, for both the miniature and 3 inch models.

Val Da Car
12-10-2006, 05:43 PM
These are incredible, I picked up a couple of boosters and am really impressed. The pics on the web doesn't do any justice to these. Out of the few I have, the Virago is the best. Only 1 problem, it's mounted upside-down on stand. You'd think Hasbro would notice things like this. Then again, look at Greivous' Wheelbike.?. The seat is on the wrong side, for both the miniature and 3 inch models.

Thanks for pointing that out....I bought a second booster set with a Virago and after looking up the pic on SW.com databank...oops...defective product on Hasbro (WOTC) side again!!!

jedi master sal
12-13-2006, 10:04 AM

I think you're thinking about this all wrong. Going on the $20 per booster (though I can get them WAY cheaper). Considering you know you'll get one "huge," one rare (which may or may not be the same as the huge), two uncommon and the rest common, well you have to break it up differently.

IIRC, there are NO common huge pieces so this makes it easier.

You are pretty much going to get one of these two assortments:
Rare (not huge)
Uncommon Huge
Uncommon
4X Common
or
Rare (huge)
2X Uncommon
4 Common

Break this down by price:
Rares garner at least $8 of the $20 booster price
Uncommons get $3 each
Commons $1

For the second set it works out evenly. For the first set mentioned, you get a tad more for your money.

Now this is generalizing. I say this because the bidding on eBay is MAD CRAZY for some of the rares and the huge uncommons.

But basically if you're looking to build fleets of small ships, you can do this cheap.
It's the rares that cost and it makes sense due to "rarity." Because MANY of these ships are considered fleet builders they are goig for more, due to higher demand. Case in point I got an Obi Jedi Starfighter for $5. It's a rare, but not huge and very specific. However, I've yet to get an Imperial Star Destroyer. That one is uncommon and a huge. So it's going for $12-15 and even more.

I have been able to snag some banking clan and commerce guild ships, but they are going for $8-9 and $5 respectively. This due to them being "huge," fleet builders and in the case of the banking clan a rare.

I have NO doubts that the fighters (class 4 ships) will go for cheap eventually. But even now, you'll see the bids flucuate as some people want to fleet build the heck out of them, while others just want a modest few extras for actual game play.

-Sal

JediTricks
12-13-2006, 04:03 PM
Common/Uncommon/Rare - I hate that! I'm thinking of these as toys, not trading cards, part of the game. I know that's all the rage with blind-packed gaming figurines lately, but I really hate that and refuse to subscribe to that behavior as a good thing. It also sucks for any gamer who wants a cool ship that's ultra rare.

sergiurusu
12-14-2006, 06:31 AM
The blind-packaging for toys is a big Japanese mania (especially small gashapon toys) and not sure why WOTC joined this club...:sleeping:

jedi master sal
12-14-2006, 04:31 PM
The gallery of Starship Battles is finally up!
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=starwars/article/sbgallery

Jangu Fett
12-15-2006, 07:58 AM
As I said before. Those photos do not do these minis any justice. The official gallery looks like its made from the prototypes. Most of them are warped and just look to be poorly done. Get the real thing and it's a different story.

I wasn't going to get any of these when I first seen the pics from sneek showings. But a freind at the LGS had a couple boosters, :shocked: :love: The actual minis look great, the SSD Executor was a little wide at the end, and the detailling, WOW. And it was not warped or deformed.

Scackmgack
12-15-2006, 09:13 AM
I have to agree with JediTricks re: hating the random packaging. It's what will prevent me from ever collecting these ships.

I'm not interested in playing the game, I am interested in the minis - and that's the problem. I don't need any TIE Fighters or Rebel starfighters - I have dozens of the Micro Machines. I don't need Star Destroyers, Mon Cal cruisers, Corellian Corvettes, or Nebulon B frigates.

So what am I to do - buy hundreds of dollars' worth of Booster Packs to get the ships I need and sell the extras on eBay? No thank you. Or shall I pay exorberant prices for the ships I am specifically interested in on eBay? Again, I'll pass.

Another good idea done poorly. Well, poorly for real collectors - the company will make a boatload of dough when people shell out for endless Booster Packs in desperate attempts to get the ships they need.

The thought of opening up Booster Pack after Booster Pack to dismiss all the minis in the box because they are not the ones I want is enough to get me to not even set foot in this arena, which really sucks as I want those Ep III Separatist Ships pretty badly...

P.S. This is the kind of crap that drove me to Warhammer 40,000. If I want something not only can I always get precisely what I want, but as I built it myself I can customize it how I like.

Rogue II
12-15-2006, 12:03 PM
While I'm not buying the WOTC Starship Battles, I do have some of the WOTC SW mini figures. It is furstrating not being able to get the main characters because they are "rare" without spending lots of money. I hate spending more than a couple bucks on something so small. Maybe I should ditch these and just go for those Unleashed Battlepacks.

Jangu Fett
12-15-2006, 12:10 PM
For those out there, only the "class 3" ships are Micro Machine sized. Slave-1, Falcon, Outrider, etc. The "class 4" ships are the starfighters, and are smaller then the MM. Class 2 scale ships are a little larger then the Titanium Series. And the Class 1's ( Executor & Viscount) are around AF size.

JediTricks
12-15-2006, 09:20 PM
Smaller? Really? Anybody got a comparison pic? That'd be a dealbreaker right there.

Blind packing works in Japan because you can buy them 1 figure at a time out of gumball machines, Gashapon-style blind packing doesn't work here though that well except for gaming pieces, one of the smaller companies tried to do an Army of Darkness line of just figures blind-packed and it didn't pan out at all.

Tenric78
12-15-2006, 10:52 PM
These remind me of Heroclix.. I've played it and have collected a lot of those little guys but I'm burned out. I want this pretty badly, but I figured I'd just wait until plenty of them hit the web as individuals. You get what you want and don't have to buy hundreds of dollars of junk just to get the one ship you really wanted.

jedi master sal
12-17-2006, 08:45 AM
For those out there, only the "class 3" ships are Micro Machine sized. Slave-1, Falcon, Outrider, etc. The "class 4" ships are the starfighters, and are smaller then the MM. Class 2 scale ships are a little larger then the Titanium Series. And the Class 1's ( Executor & Viscount) are around AF size.

Some class 2's are also MM sized. While some of the class 3 are Titanium sized or a bit larger. The Venator for instance is bigger than the Titanium sized one, and much more detailed.

Now, I'm goign to post a post I did on another site regarding this set of minis. Take it for what it is, which is an honest assessment by a fellow collector. I speak in some general tones during much of this, so your experience may vary. So please no haters...

Now on with the post:

Okay first things first, go here if you want to see the Starship minis:
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=starwars/article/sbgallery

Okay, now that you’ve gone goo-goo over these, let’s talk.

I’m ecstatic about this line. I’ve been bidding like mad on eBay for some of these. (Meanign lots of bids, not high bids.) Since it’s unlikely we’ll get them in any other scale (except Titanium), I’m fleet building the capitol ships.

The smaller ships, more specifically the fighters aren’t really that good. (Well it’s mostly the TIEs that have the problem).

NOTE: Some ships (all sizes) have drooping, warp or mold problems, so don’t be surprised if you get these. Notably my Trade Federation Battleships are warped so that the “arms” that come around don’t synch up evenly. However there are other ships with these problems as well. I’ve been reading on other sites that “CAREFUL” use of a blow dryer can soften up the plastic enough to gently move it into position, but you’d then have to clamp it in place until it hardens again. So be aware there might be some work to make these look perfect or close to it. Otherwise if you don’t mind the warp, drooping, etc., then it’s no problem at all.

Now to all the craziness of bidding you will see on eBay should you go that route (many people don’t like the “blind” packaging aspect of this game, but we’ll cover that shortly), keep in mind a few things.

One, this set is MADE for army or “fleet” building. While there are some unique ships in the set, the overwhelming majority of starships are non-specific ships you would find in any number of the SW universe’s different fleets. Many of these ships have never been done before, so the desire to own them is high. Some ships are in higher demand, regardless of their “rarity”, ie., the Imperial Star Destroyer. I can’t seem to win one, and I’ve bid $11 at least on any number of ones I’ve tried to win. And that one is an “uncommon.”

Let’s take a look at the rarity issue vs. the “huge” issue as well when buying singles, be that on eBay or e-tailor or brick and mortar.
Taking into account the average booster pack costs $20
There are exactly:
16 rares (small/medium sized)
6 rare huge (+ 2 rares that ONLY come in the starter set)
16 uncommon (small/medium sized)
6 uncommon huge
14 commons (no huge)

If you are looking for a general guideline price breakdown of minis, here is one I proposed. Bare in mind it’s just a guideline. There are some zealous bidders and sellers who unnaturally inflate these.
Rares-because these are generally small ships and are specific to a character, ie., the Millennium Falcon, or Anakin’s Jedi starfighter for instance, they are rare. Since they are of smaller to medium size they won’t cost you as much as the huge rares will. So the base price for a Rare non-huge ship should cost $6-9 depending on it’s popularity. Notable exceptions are Boba’s Slave One, and the Millenium *Falcon which can go at least as high as $15.
HUGE Rares-First let me mention that there are two huge rares that are not part of the booster packs. They are the Mon Calamari Viscount, and the Super-class Star Destroyer. They can be found on eBay, but as they are NOT blind pulls, your pricing may vary greatly. I'd highly reccommend buying the starter set from a local comic shop first before trying to get those two on eBay. besides the starter set include 7 more minis plus all of the gaming material, should you actually choose to play the game. As to the other 6 that come in the boosters, you’re looking at some good/popular selections. The Mon-Cal Home One is long overdue and is a unique huge. While on the other side there’s the Invisible Hand, General Greivous’s flagship. This one is finely detailed and is again unique. The other four are fleet builders to an extent. Whether unique or fleet builders, these ships garner much attention. Look for pricing to be in the $8-12 range, in part to the ships that they are, but also the size of them.
Uncommons-While the majority of these have been done as Micro Machines and therefore no need to really get them (unless you got into collecting late and still don’t have them), there are some notable exceptiona, (Almost all stemming from the Prequels.) Still those are generally background vehicles. You shouldn’t have a hard time buying these cheap. Price range $1-3
HUGE Uncommons-This is where you can get into the “meat” of fleet building. With the Venator-class Star Destroyer and Imperial-class Star Destroyer, as well as the Trade Federation Battleship, and even the Commerce Guild Destroyer in this bunch, there’s plenty to build up. The other two aren’t necessarily fleet builders. The four mentioned can greatly vary in price, with the Imperial-class Star Destroyer clearly the leader of the bunch when it comes to high bids. As previously mentioned, I can’t seem to snag one for $11. Most often they’ve been going for right around there up to $12, but I’ve seen them go for $16+ on up to almost $20... The Venator-class Star Destroyer can be had anywhere from $7-11, while the other four in this category are slightly less in price range.
Commons-The name says it all, “common.” You find here what you expect to find. Basic Starfighters from both trilogies, with some background and EU thrown in to fill it out. Nothing too notable here. Background vehicles are cool enough, as well as the EU ones, but who really needs more than a couple of them? (And if you do that’s cool, but on the whole, most of us do not.) So that means, generally speaking you can get these ships anywhere from 50 cents to a dollar. If you’re paying more than that, then you’re one of the ones unnaturally raising the price. Commons are plentiful. If you want 20 each or 50 each of them, give it some time. Let this set be out on the market for a little while. (6-8 weeks approx.) Once the dust settles from this, you’ll be able to knock off auctions for multiples of these quickly and cheaply. I will caution everyone that with the smaller ships in the set no matter the rarity, that you’ll find the most warping. They are by no means as good as the Micro Machines ships were when it comes to quality of plastic and rigidity. So buy at your own risk. Feel free to ask the seller if they are warped, but don’t expect all to respond to that as they just want to sell, and don’t want to make note of any abnormalities. Also, most of the common ships are small. REALLY small. Smaller than Micro Machines. So if you want a different scale there's that. Otherwise, I find most of these easy to pass on.

Now with all that being said, I’m really enjoying this set of minis. Yes, it’s a little hard to fleet build some of the ones I want, but I’ll get there eventually. In the meantime, we are finally getting ships. Albeit it very small. Hasbro would do well to pay attention to those ships that are getting the most attention and the most return on the dollar. Hmm, who knows, maybe they are doing just this very thing. Unlikely, but one can hope, right.

Oh, one thing I didn’t mention above regarding some of the larger ships is that they are done in more rigid plastic. That would be fine if all of them came out of the molds correctly. Also some are built of several pieces and people who put these together didn’t neccessarily have quality control in mind. It’s hit or miss with many of these, so keep that in mind when you’re looking to buy. Especiaally from the net as you can’t see the actualy product you are buying.

Good luck, have fun and please don’t snipe my bids!

----end post.

LATE NOTE. I did use a blow dryer on my Trade Federation Battleships and it worked like a charm. Go slow and easy at this. Not too much heat is need to soften up the ships, so don't hold the air close or for too long. Use this method with extreme caution as you don't want to damage your minis OR burn yourself.

-Sal

sergiurusu
12-18-2006, 02:52 AM
nice description!:thumbsup:

jedi master sal
12-18-2006, 07:53 AM
nice description!:thumbsup:

Thanks. Yeah, I thought it was time that someone post a real and honest look at this set. Not "starry" eyed so to speak.

BountyHunterScum
12-20-2006, 04:19 PM
Thanks. Yeah, I thought it was time that someone post a real and honest look at this set. Not "starry" eyed so to speak.

Toobad this isn't just for collecting although I guess it could be. I've got some of these ships in MM form.

Warstar
12-20-2006, 11:49 PM
I saw the starter pack with the Executor and Mon Cal Cruiser tonight at my local Target of all places...the $39.99 price tag IMMEDIATELY turned me off, though...

...I might get this line if/when it gets cheaper in the future. At least, I hope it does- but I was wholly unimpressed with the starter kit I saw- sadly enough, as I was stoked to get these :(

dindae
12-21-2006, 08:32 AM
I used to buy boxes of the CCG games when they came out. I've stopped collecting them. I started buying the miniatures but stopped quickly when I needed to cut back on my spending. I find if you have the patience wait 5 years until no one is playing the game and it will be easy to pick up a set or the ones you want. I remember trying to pick up the few cards I was missing from the old Decipher CCG and rares were going for $1-3 except for maybe the super rares from the Reflections sets. I saw complete sets of Dagobah going for $25-30. So if they are too expensive for you now just wait.

JediTricks
12-22-2006, 03:08 PM
I saw the starter pack with the Executor and Mon Cal Cruiser tonight at my local Target of all places...the $39.99 price tag IMMEDIATELY turned me off, though...

...I might get this line if/when it gets cheaper in the future. At least, I hope it does- but I was wholly unimpressed with the starter kit I saw- sadly enough, as I was stoked to get these :(
Precisely the reaction I had upon seeing that boxed set on Monday.

sergiurusu
12-23-2006, 03:15 AM
I'd like to get the 2 large capital ships from the starter set plus a few Imperial capital ships as well. But the price is too high for ships that are not Action Fleet. I'll wait to see them cheaper in the future or pass on them.

Val Da Car
12-26-2006, 10:26 PM
Any Ideas on how to best carry/protect them.

I have tried the fishing/tackle box and there in lies a good method for Class 4, some Class 3's but no really any class 2's.

I think I am off to a craft store and to look at plastic cases there.

Thanks in advance.