PDA

View Full Version : remote switch for FX saber?

sjd9299
11-29-2006, 09:54 PM
Is there any way to make your FX sabers run off electicity instead of battery? Or a way to install a remote switch of some kind? I ask because I have mine displayed above a window in my toy room and I need a chair to get them down or to jsut turn them on. I would like to turn them like a light switch. Very dramatic effect for visitors. So any ideas? Anything someone has already made? Could someone make something like this? Is this a fantasy?

Jayspawn
11-30-2006, 11:54 AM
I wouldnt say it's impossible, but expensive. I think you'd have to hire an electrician to take apart your FX (possibly ruining it) and see what he can rig up. A wire coming out of your FX and plugging into the wall would loose the hand held novelty of it -you wouldnt be able to travel more than a few feet from your wall so forget any good swings with it.

JediTricks
11-30-2006, 07:15 PM
If you can figure out the amperage required in the power supply, then it should be fairly easy to set it up so it can be powered by your house's AC, we already know the voltage (6-cells are 9 volts while 3-cells are 4.5 volts) so just find out the proper amps and you can wire an AC adapter with the proper volts and amps (the wrong amperage will fry the saber's electronics and could be very dangerous to human life as well) straight into the battery compartment's terminals.

This would also allow you to turn them on remotely, GE makes a remote unit that plugs into an electrical socket, just plug the AC adapter into the unit and then use the remote to turn it on and off, they have 'em at Target for $13, I think the name is "SmartHome Indoor Remote" or something, they have a lot of green ones in the Xmas department right now but they have normal color versions in the Home Improvement section (I bought one for myself 2 years ago, works great, and one for my sister last year).

sjd9299
11-30-2006, 08:43 PM
I wouldnt say it's impossible, but expensive. I think you'd have to hire an electrician to take apart your FX (possibly ruining it) and see what he can rig up. A wire coming out of your FX and plugging into the wall would loose the hand held novelty of it -you wouldnt be able to travel more than a few feet from your wall so forget any good swings with it.
It would only be for when they are hanging high on the wall on display. When I want to play with them I would put the batteries back in.

JediTricks
12-01-2006, 02:22 PM
well, my idea for an AC adapter is a cheap and easy one, but you would need to know the amps required first and that'd be the hard part if it's not listed anywhere (and I don't remember it being listed anywhere).