PDA

View Full Version : American Beauty

Tycho
11-30-2006, 07:27 PM
This film is fun. And it's not at all what I expected.

I knew Kevin Spacey (the dad) was having sexual fantasies about his daughter's high school cheerleading squadmate, but there is much more going on here.

Annette Benning (the mom) is having her own mid-life crisis, and the line that "I bet your parents haven't had sex in years," was hilarious.

Next the neighbors are starting to be introduced. There's the Marine Corps dad (played by "Col. Harry" from The Patriot - I forgot his name but he's good and almost always cast as some military officer) and there's his son that films Spacey's good looking little daughter.

The gay neighbors cracked me up - and it's Scott Bakula (Captain Archer!). That was another unexpected surprise - let alone that "Lex Luthor" is playing a man who's wife stole his balls.

The object of Spacey's affections is alright. She's definitely worthy of any guys's fantasies, but not really "a 10." She totally reminds me of a good friend's little sister. I actually think the daughter's more my type, but I don't think this will turn into an incest movie.

Anyway, I had to post now, even though I'm probably only 30 minutes into this one, because so many thoughts were brought up by the film already. No rating as of yet. It's only just beginning to establish itself.

2-1B
11-30-2006, 08:40 PM
Chris Cooper plays the Nazi and the only complaint I have about this movie is that if Kevin Spacey is going to knock one out in the shower, he could at least look a little more enthused about it.

Tycho
11-30-2006, 09:08 PM
I'm still watching it. Phone calls, delays, etc. But I got to see the topless shot of the daughter I like :love:

It was predictable, but nevertheless so funny, how Cooper (thanks for the name drop there, Caesar) thinks his son is sucking for money, especially what with that video and the obstructed window view.

Now justice would be if Spacey gets with "Angela" the little teeny-bopper friend of his daughter's. I haven't seen the end of the movie yet though.

It was the height of irony that he caught his wife cheating while working at "Mooby's" (for lack of the actual name of the fast food place in the movie).

Annette Benning is great becoming her liberated woman that she can't be with her husband. But I loved him telling her off about listening to Barry Manilow or whatever she tunes in at every dinner hour. What screwed up people!

Oh, and you can totally tell where parents over do it and indirectly turn their kids into school-shooters here, not to mention little teen wh0res (all pretty girls are - you guys know that, right?)

So there it is. Now back to our show. (I'm loving American Beauty by the way - and I think I'll turn my phone off for a bit here).

2-1B
11-30-2006, 09:12 PM
Now justice would be if Spacey gets with "Angela" the little teeny-bopper friend of his daughter's.

OH, he'll get something alright...

Tycho
11-30-2006, 09:18 PM
Don't tell me it will be the large girl he works with at Whammy Burger?!

But maybe he'll get a) arrested for statuatory rape*, b) shot or killed by Cooper, Benning, or his daughter's boyfriend for the $3,000, or c) at the very least divorced (but for his sake, I hope he keeps the house and the car).

*See how the stauatory law protects the wife and daughter in this case, but the act hardly harms Angela or her friend's father (Spacey)?

Perhaps politicians put statuatory laws in place to woo women voters? Or as I said, protect parents who don't want to pay for the unsupported offspring of men who are their peers, leaving behind babies (and additional expenses) with their irresponsible daughters?

Tycho's world is not one of immorality, but one of revelation! Follow me, for I am the Light!

JetsAndHeels
11-30-2006, 09:23 PM
Lets just say he was more "lively" as Lex Luthor.

figrin bran
11-30-2006, 09:24 PM
Tycho, where were you in 2000 when this film came out??? i actually saw it about 3 times in the theater and so you can probably tell that it's one of my favorite films.

If memory serves me correctly, the fast food place is called Smiley's

so are you one of these people in theaters who talk to their friends/dates as the movie progresses? :p

JetsAndHeels
11-30-2006, 09:27 PM
If memory serves me correctly, the fast food place is called Smiley's

That's a great scene where she is in the car making out with her boyfriend while Spacey is watching. As his co-worker said "you are so busted."

El Chuxter
11-30-2006, 09:51 PM
This is a great movie, and, no, I won't tell you how it ends.

Tycho
11-30-2006, 10:01 PM
OK - so it was Mr. Marine Corps Dad, huh? I was actually not too surprised he turned False-Gay and tried to experiment, then got vengeful like a Queen spurned, turning loose his natural instincts to be homicidal. It did make you trip for a moment making the viewer think it was the wife who pulled the trigger.

But Spacey should have taken his daughter's teenage friend. She did want him.

On the other hand, note how it's always the ones who talk a lot and enjoy a reputation more than the real thing. This is perhaps why Brad Pitt was caught with a prostitute recently. As we discuss in a moment, you get busy, or you're just busy talking.

Great movie!

Tycho, where were you in 2000 when this film came out??? i actually saw it about 3 times in the theater and so you can probably tell that it's one of my favorite films.

I actually went to this movie with a date. Things were working out very well that evening with this girl I had just started seeing and we left to live our own lives rather than even lose 2 hours watching someone else's. :thumbsup:

The kid videotaping gave me some great ideas.

Anyway, I actually remember that night pretty fondly, but I never got around to finally seeing the movie. I've walked out of a few shows over my lifetime, but actually none of those times were because I thought the movie was bad. I just got busy with other plans.

so are you one of these people in theaters who talk to their friends/dates as the movie progresses?

I normally don't talk with friends during movies. I don't talk with my dates, either ;)

Actually, before anyone gets the wrong idea about me, I'm also normally reserved and not a P.D.A. type. Something about a darkened theater when I don't consider it anyone else's convenience or even their interest to watch me and a girl I'm with versus the well-lit movie. (But certainly it depends on the film. Alien Resurrection wasn't a big "make-out movie" for me. Hehe)

EDIT - and note that I'm fair: while I don't want to see two guys making out, I think it's also good manners for heterosexuals to just get a room as well.

JetsAndHeels
11-30-2006, 10:25 PM
Fess up, you made out during Schindler's List didn't you?

2-1B
11-30-2006, 10:25 PM
Tycho why the f*** would you go to a movie and then leave before it's over for other plans ?

That's retarded.

Tycho
11-30-2006, 11:21 PM
Tycho why the f*** would you go to a movie and then leave before it's over for other plans ?

That's retarded.

Because I got the idea for my other plans during the movie. :yes:

Besides, I may be a super-genius, but I can still be retarded at the same time, too. But this wasn't one of those times.

But if I have to spell it out - a movie's a very safe place to make a move. Plan A is that you leave with your girl if she seems receptive. Plan B is that you have the movie you'd always intended to see if you don't have any other courses of action to take in the present.

I still have to go and see Flags of our Fathers, but it'll be there.

figrin bran
12-01-2006, 12:01 AM
Fess up, you made out during Schindler's List didn't you?

hey, stop getting your jokes from long cancelled sitcoms! :p

LusiferSam
12-01-2006, 12:56 AM
This is such a great movie. I'm glad I went to it alone. I was stunned afterwards and only wanted to think about what I saw. Having to talk about with someone wasn't something I wanted to do. My parents totally didn't get it. I hold them to go see it and they did. Then was forced to try and explain why I thought this was a must see movie.

Tycho
12-01-2006, 02:13 AM
I think some universal truths are brought into the light by this movie:

1) Most people fear and hate getting old

2) Monogamy is boring - especially when you're afraid to age, and stuck with someone else who'd going through it too.

3) People find youth attractive, well men do for sure, and "getting with" a younger person helps them to escape their own age, or go back in time if you will.

4) People hate their jobs and often would be happier with more simplicity in their lives.

5) Kids feel frustrated by having to deal with their parents dealing with this, while kids have a lot to worry about on their own plate from puberty to all their hopes and aspirations that they probably will never realize for themselves.

So many of our parents might not want to look at this film. The younger you are when you watch it, the safer you feel from the very real fears it illicits, albeit often comedically.

I think as a lot of us are very near or close to our 30's, this movie is very timely for us now - as it is a peak ahead at our midlife crisis that's very likely to hit us all.

If all this was an anomally, why are there 20-30 men captured in every NBC Dateline predator sting who are all 30-50 years old and want to have sexual relations with a 13-15 year old girl? If it's really an anomally, shouldn't perportraitors be far more rare? That's also the reason why these guys all break down and cry when they get caught - it's the last straw on a pile put on their lives that is crushing them. Of course they are crying they got caught - but that's hardly "all of it."

figrin bran
12-01-2006, 11:25 AM
well, i think all of us on this board are guilty of escaping our own ages what with all the toy collecting we do ;)

Jayspawn
12-13-2006, 02:52 PM
Spacey is one of my favorite actors and he was incredible in this movie as well.