PDA

View Full Version : So a women walks into Walmart, looking for Jabba

BoShek
11-30-2006, 10:28 PM
I work at Wal Mart and have been in the toy section recently. A women shopping for her child that recently watched the OT asked me about Star Wars figures and showed her all of the ones we had.

She wanted Leia and some others. And she asked if we had Jabba ... I had to explain that one hasn't been out in years and her best bet was to check Ebay. And she asked where the vehicles were ... I told her to check Toys R Us.

But she was very happy with the figures I showed her and she bought a lot.

:thumbsup:

Kidhuman
11-30-2006, 10:37 PM
Thats a good story. I always try and assist fellow shoppers when they are looking for thier kids gifts and stuff

bobafrett
11-30-2006, 10:53 PM
I try to take all the toys and keep them all for myself! Bah ha ha ha ha! No, really I am more than happy to assist those who need a helping hand getting to know what stuff we do or don't have in stock. Wal-Mart as a company though stinks as far as the way they treat their employees.

2-1B
11-30-2006, 11:01 PM
I hide all the good stuff in other departments and tell people it's all sold out.

El Chuxter
12-01-2006, 09:53 AM
I read the topic and expected a punchline.

I am disappointed.

I shall go cry alone now.

Slicker
12-01-2006, 10:16 AM
I too try to help if I can. If I see a clueless adult looking through everything like they're lost I'll kinda ask what they're looking for and then it just goes from there.

mtriv73
12-01-2006, 10:40 AM
There was a lady in TRU buying gifts for her grandkids the other day and I fielded several questions for her. This actually happens pretty often, but my intentions are not the least bit altruistic. I figure the more toys they sell, the quicker the stores will get in the newer things that I don't already have.

Droid
12-01-2006, 11:06 AM
I really do think that Hasbro has dropped the ball on Jabba.

We had the ANH Jabba that was terrible both as a figure and in the movie.
We had the podracing Jabba which had a stupid mouth because of an action feature.
We had the Jabba Glob, which was decent, but why did the best Jabba so far as of 1999 have to be rubber?
Then we had the Deluxe Jabba, which was pretty good, but the material
was funky and it was a bit green for my tastes.

Why is it that 11 years into this hobby they have yet to release a Return of the Jedi, in hard plastic, that is more tan than green, and that has a dais?

I would argue Jabba is the most significant character in the original trilogy to never get proper treatment as a figure.

JON9000
12-01-2006, 11:24 AM
Vintage, complete ROTJ Jabba's are relatively inexpensive on ebay and hold up extremely well as toys. I suggest getting one, I love mine!

Kidhuman
12-01-2006, 03:45 PM
Vintage, complete ROTJ Jabba's are relatively inexpensive on ebay and hold up extremely well as toys. I suggest getting one, I love mine!

Yeah, I got mine for around 15 with shipping 2 years ago.

I helped a lady in WM today looking for stuff for her kid for Christmas.

Droid
12-01-2006, 05:41 PM
I have a vintage Jabba and am glad I have it. The dias is essential.

But I still think Hasbro should make a proper Jabba with accessories in the modern line.

BoShek
12-01-2006, 10:42 PM
Another lady had a list and a Lego Stormtrooper was on it. I pointed out the Lego Clone trooper with the small walker.

2-1B
12-01-2006, 10:43 PM
I too try to help if I can. If I see a clueless adult looking through everything like they're lost I'll kinda ask what they're looking for and then it just goes from there.

That's a hot way to pick up women.

bobafrett
12-02-2006, 05:21 PM
I built a table and chair set for a customer today. Then our potty pump broke and the toilets shot up that which was flushed into them, needless to say were were walking around in sewage. What freaking fun that was!

2-1B
12-03-2006, 01:20 AM
I built a table and chair set for a customer today. Then our potty pump broke and the toilets shot up that which was flushed into them, needless to say were were walking around in sewage. What freaking fun that was!

That's a hot way to pick up women.

bobafrett
12-04-2006, 04:55 PM
"what an incredible smell you've discovered."

Jayspawn
12-04-2006, 05:32 PM
I always enjoy helping out people who are looking for SW stuff.

BoShek
12-04-2006, 11:35 PM
Another woman, a younger looking grandmother, and her husband were looking for Star Wars Lego the other day. She wanted "Boba Fett's ship." I got her one but she insisted that it wasn't the right one. I pointed to the Boba figure on the package and she said that wasn't him! But the husband said to get it.

Then she wanted teh $300 Star Destroyer. I told her it was only $99.99 and we were out of stock. I don't think she believed me again. Then she told me to go to the back and get her one. I told her we don't have items like that on hand in the back.

How rude!

Then the husband wanted me to get down, from the riser, the small clone ship. She said it wasn't on the list but he made her take it anyway.

Some people are so strange.

dindae
12-06-2006, 10:11 AM
Then she wanted teh $300 Star Destroyer. I told her it was only $99.99 and we were out of stock. I don't think she believed me again. Then she told me to go to the back and get her one. I told her we don't have items like that on hand in the back.

There is a $300 Star Destroyer but it isn't sold at retail.

General_Grievous
12-06-2006, 03:15 PM
Yeah, around the holidays, you can't go into the toy section without the crazy parents buying anything they can so their kids won't whine and complain on Christmas morning. Last year, they were buying up Star Wars stuff. This year, Pirates of the Caribbean. Vicious cycle.

My friend works in EB Games and he told me the other day that some clueless parent walked into the store with her kid asking for a Playstation 3. He told her that they weren't expecting any shipment until after Christmas. I love how some people wait until the last minute and casually walk into a store and think that they can get that hot item that's on their kid's wishlist and leave. Yeah, it doesn't work that way. Ah, you gotta love the holidays.

Mad Slanted Powers
12-17-2006, 09:48 PM
I was in Wal-Mart yesterday. One endcap has a lot of figures. The endcap on the other end of the aisle has a lot of VTSC. One side near the VTSC has the regular Star Wars section. The other side of the aisle has tin sets. I was near the tin sets and there was a couple there with a list. They were looking for Luke and Anakin. The tin sets had those figures, but I didn't stick around long enough to see if they bought them. I considered helping them, but there wasn't much I could tell them because I don't think there were any Luke or Anakin figures there at Wal-Mart. The Anakin in the AOTC set would be a good Anakin if they got it, but an expensive way to get the one figure you are looking for.

Seeing people like that kind of makes me think though. I consider myself lucky to be able to find the figures. I'm glad I'm not a kid that is a Star Wars fan, because even if my parents were willing to buy every figure, they'd have to have the diligence of a collector. It was easier back in the vintage days since there weren't so many figures. I think it was my ninth birthday when I got the original 12 figures except for the Jawa, but I got an extra Stormtrooper in its place.

evenflow
12-21-2006, 12:27 PM
I think that they should release an all new Jabba the Hutt under the VOTC line. Make it a nice huge set with dias and all the extra accessories we want.

jedi master sal
12-21-2006, 01:07 PM
I think that they should release an all new Jabba the Hutt under the VOTC line. Make it a nice huge set with dias and all the extra accessories we want.

That idea has been proposed to Hasbro.

The reality is though that it's more of a playset at that point, and they are against it.

I agree though and would love to see a big set with an all NEW Jabba, plus the throne, dias, and many accessories.

Mad Slanted Powers
12-21-2006, 07:56 PM
I'd rather have one with a dais instead. :D

DarkArtist
12-29-2006, 09:41 AM
that's alright the other day hoping to find a re-stock TRU or Walmart i happened upon a walmart that re-stock some of the POTC stuff and among the figures was a Moff Jerjerrod on a Cannibal Jack Sparrow card. I didn't know that Jerjerrod was the original Cannibal King.

Mad Slanted Powers
12-29-2006, 08:58 PM
At this point, I wish a cannibal would eat all the Jerjerrod figures. Haven't checked since last Saturday, so maybe there will be something new there tomorrow morning.