PDA

View Full Version : Why does commercial tea always have to have lemon in it?

Phantom-like Menace
12-02-2006, 12:26 AM
I know I was born and raised in the Southern United States, so there is more iced tea in my veins than there is blood, which means I probably think about this more than those of you who live in the North and outside the United States, but it really does tick me off.

If I want the convenience of a vending machine, I have four basic choices of beverage: soda; juice; water; or some kind of brown, slightly "off" lemonade that is labelled tea but is a rather unconvincing facsimile. So I find myself curious if the vile concoction of chemicals they throw into this stuff tastes so little like tea they have to disguise it with lemon, or if it is just a campaign to make people outside of the Southern US accept it as a drink, thereby making it less than acceptable to self-respecting iced tea drinkers.

The best bet is with green tea. The Arizona company makes a serviceable green tea with (you guessed it) lemon, but it's not an overpowering lemon flavor, although I've never seen it in a vending machine. The worst bet I've tried for green tea was Sobe. It's usually a bad idea to try their drinks, but it's an especially bad idea to try their green tea. Not only is there lemon in it, but there is mint in it. After taking my first sip, all I could imagine was them wringing out a piece of abc mint gum over the bottle to get that flavor.

But this leads me to the best bet I've found. I was in Wal-Mart late one night (the only twenty-four hour grocery I have access to), and I saw a product called Gold Peak Iced Tea. I was curious, so I grabbed their green tea. It was delicious! There was not a drop of lemon in it, and certainly no mint. I was in heaven. I purchased a bottle or two every time I found myself in Wal-Mart (the only place I've ever seen it), and I haven't seen any more of it in a couple of months. I looked on the Internet and discovered it's a Coke product that they put out earlier this summer, but I haven't found anything else beyond that. I figure it didn't do well because it didn't have that cursed lemon in it, and it got dropped.

So now I'm at work, bored, and trying to satiate my thirst with a bottle of Nestea. I'm being taunted by the description above the name: Sweetened Lemon Flavored Iced Tea. Yes, they felt they had to enlarge the size of the word lemon as though I couldn't safely assume it--like almost every single bottled tea I've ever seen--has lemon flavoring added to it. Of course, I figured a tirade about the subject was in order, and I could think of no better place to therapeutically complain than here.

figrin bran
12-02-2006, 03:24 AM
they do make raspberry and peach ice tea as well...

Slicker
12-02-2006, 03:41 AM
I HATE lemon tea.

But I also HATE with more of a passion sweetened tea. I live for in Virginia but I was born and raised in Michigan and EVERYONE in the south drinks that disgusting sweetened tea. It tastes like carp and I hate getting looked at crazy when I order just regular tea (mostly at Chik-Fil-A).

You southern folk are something else.;)

El Chuxter
12-02-2006, 09:46 AM
I like tea with lemon or tea with lemonade... if I'm doing the mixing. I've never had a decent commercial tea since Snapple sold out a decade or so ago, though Arizona's the closest to drinkable.

BTW, those of you outside the Southeast don't know how to drink tea. It has to have a copious amount of sugar added during the brewing stage. Otherwise, it's nasty brown water. And you can make your stupid jokes about "swait tay." The fact is, you know it's better and you're jealous.

Rocketboy
12-02-2006, 10:23 AM
I hate any kind of tea, but the also wife gets ****ed off because most teas have lemon in it.

2-1B
12-02-2006, 12:04 PM
I do not drink such urine.

LusiferSam
12-02-2006, 10:17 PM
BTW, those of you outside the Southeast don't know how to drink tea. It has to have a copious amount of sugar added during the brewing stage. Otherwise, it's nasty brown water. And you can make your stupid jokes about "swait tay." The fact is, you know it's better and you're jealous.

First off if your going to sweeten tea you should use honey rather than sugar (iff you southerns can pronounce either one of those right). Honey will add some flavor and enhance the tea. Sugar is a bit like, well I shouldn't say there maybe kids reading this. But your right about when to sweet the drink.

Second, tea is a hot drink. Iced tea is, like iced coffee or any iced version of a hot drink, wrong. You folks choose to live in a hot climate, learn to drink (or eat) things properly. Please just stop making the rest suffer from your infernal sense of culinary refinement.

Third, lemons. I find that some teas are better with a bit of lemon in them. Some are better with cream. And some are better plain. I'm guessing that who ever came up with the first bottled tea liked lemon a little too much and when over board. Ever one else is just following suit.

JetsAndHeels
12-02-2006, 10:30 PM
What part of the south are you from PLM?

If you appreciate good tea, no doubt you have had it from Bojangles.

figrin bran
12-02-2006, 11:28 PM
First off if your going to sweeten tea you should use honey rather than sugar (iff you southerns can pronounce either one of those right). Honey will add some flavor and enhance the tea. Sugar is a bit like, well I shouldn't say there maybe kids reading this. But your right about when to sweet the drink.

Second, tea is a hot drink. Iced tea is, like iced coffee or any iced version of a hot drink, wrong. You folks choose to live in a hot climate, learn to drink (or eat) things properly. Please just stop making the rest suffer from your infernal sense of culinary refinement.

Third, lemons. I find that some teas are better with a bit of lemon in them. Some are better with cream. And some are better plain. I'm guessing that who ever came up with the first bottled tea liked lemon a little too much and when over board. Ever one else is just following suit.

i suppose you're going to tell us next that coffee is only a hot drink? :p

Phantom-like Menace
12-03-2006, 12:32 AM
Unsweetened tea is completely undrinkable to me. I have no problem drinking black coffee with no sugar, but unsweetened tea just makes me shudder.

I hate any kind of tea, but the also wife gets ****ed off because most teas have lemon in it.

Your wife is wise.

they do make raspberry and peach ice tea as well...

You have to catch me in an odd mood for me to want to flavor my tea. I'm not against the idea by any means, though. I've only tried one other type of Gold Peak tea than the green tea; I accidentally grabbed the diet tea (was juggling Star Wars figures and not paying attention), which nearly made me hurl. I didn't notice until I took a sip.

What part of the south are you from PLM?

If you appreciate good tea, no doubt you have had it from Bojangles.

I was born in Mobile, Alabama, raised mostly in Pensacola, Florida, moved to Tallahassee eight years ago. So Bojangles' is a little outside of my range. Never tried it. If I ever have the chance, I'll order some tea.

You folks choose to live in a hot climate, learn to drink (or eat) things properly.

Well, if there are no other ways to prove I am a Southerner, I drink sweet tea with as much ice as the glass can hold, and I'll attempt to fry nearly any food. I joke that I would happily fry a salad.

By and large, if I'm buying something to drink, I'll buy soda or maybe juice, because I am very picky about my tea. But if I just really don't feel like soda or don't like the juice selection, I'll suck it up and try the tea. Some of them are better than others, and I'll drink them, and then almost only the green teas.

LusiferSam
12-03-2006, 12:53 AM
i suppose you're going to tell us next that coffee is only a hot drink? :p

I think I already have.

General_Grievous
12-06-2006, 05:59 PM
I like Lemon Iced Tea, especially Snapple. For whatever reason, I'll never drink hot tea (I always prefer coffee) but I always enjoy a glass of Iced Tea.