PDA

View Full Version : Why do I remember a Tarkin

CFH
12-03-2006, 09:16 PM
Hi all,

I'm sure this have come up a thousand times, but here goes.

Back when I was 6 or so, I remember getting my first star wars figures, and I remember the little pictures on the back of the figure card showing a a Grand Moff Tarkin figure, along with the other figures everyone knows about. I never actually saw a Tarkin figure and wrote this off as either a bad childhood memory or an early card back that showed an unproduced toy.

I considered the issue dead until last week, when my wife and I began reminiscing about our old Star Wars toys. She remembered playing with another child in the neighborhood who had a Tarkin action figure. I asked if it was perhaps the later imperial officer, or maybe a Battlestar Galactica Adama figure, but she was sure she had seen a Tarkin figure.

I'm guessing we both have bad memories, but here goes...

Does anyone else remember a Tarkin action figure advertised during the initial Star Wars figure releases?

Was there perhaps a foreign knock-off?

Slicker
12-03-2006, 09:30 PM
As I'm sure you know they never did make a Tarkin figure.

The only ones that would even come close are the Death Squad Commander and the AT-AT Driver (i.e. Gen. Veers). I've never heard of a knock off either so...ummm...you've both got bad memories?:whip:;)

2-1B
12-03-2006, 09:52 PM
They made a handful of them and I have listed 3 for sale on eBay.

DarkArtist
12-04-2006, 07:37 AM
Don't forget the black uniform imperial commander figure too. could also be that someone back then maybe made a custom version of tarkin. i had a custom slave leia back in the day made from the body of a bespin leia.

JON9000
12-04-2006, 01:21 PM
30 years is a long time and the mind can manufacture its own memories. I recalled as a kid seeing Death Squad Troopers in something like a log cabin, but I chalked it up to something in a dream. Then I heard about the Holiday Special back in 99 and lo and behold, my mind couldn't possibly have dreamed up something so horrid! IT WAS REAL!!!!

LusiferSam
12-04-2006, 07:58 PM
Don't forget the black uniform imperial commander figure too. could also be that someone back then maybe made a custom version of tarkin. i had a custom slave leia back in the day made from the body of a bespin leia.

Do you still have it? And if so could we see photos?

I don't ever remember seeing or hearing about a Tarkin figure as a kid. The Imperial Officer or Death Star Commander are to most likely "in-house" sources of confusion. The Imperial Officer looks the part, expect for the hat. And the Death Star Commander on the 12 back card, looks a lot like Tarkin on a quick glance. Have a look here (http://theswca.com/images-speci/cardbacks/).

I have no clue what the Adama figure from Battlestar Galactica looked like. But if he had gray hair and a military uniform, that a likely candidate. I'm doubtful of a bootleg figure. All bootlegs I've seen are based on Kenner figures.

If I were you I would chalk up such a memory to an active imagination and wishful thinking, rather than a faulty memory.

DarkArtist
12-04-2006, 08:10 PM
Do you still have it? And if so could we see photos?

I had this figure back in '84 so unfortunately the figure is long gone, have wanted to make her again but just haven't had the time and don't feel like paying ebay prices for the Bespin Leia body. perhaps one day I will find a Leia in a comic shop for a decent price and re-create it.

Right now though I am working on a SA Slave Leia using the Takara Micro-Woman body and Hasbro's head sculpt so as soon as it's done I'll post pics in the custom section.

2-1B
12-04-2006, 08:10 PM
I can remember faint memories of playing with my figures and not yet owning a Darth Vader...so I used the TIE pilot to fill in for Darth. :)

Jayspawn
12-08-2006, 10:40 AM
I can remember faint memories of playing with my figures and not yet owning a Darth Vader...so I used the TIE pilot to fill in for Darth. :)

Oohh I'm sorry Caesar. Well I suppose he would have to do.

Alas, there was no Tarkin. You think kenner would have made him though.

DarkArtist
12-08-2006, 10:51 AM
Yeah I surprised that Kenner never made a Tarkin figure either or for that reason a Mon Mothma figure as well. I mean they gave us some minor characters in the original POTF collection like the Imperial Dignitary and Barada and Yak Face yet where were Tarkin and Mon Mothma ? I mean we got Crix Madine and Admiral Ackbar all we were missing is Mothma for a cool Rebel Briefing set.

El Chuxter
12-08-2006, 11:12 AM
Kenner did plan a Tarkin, in 1985 (or maybe 84), but I don't think it even made it to the prototype stage.

Kenner had put together a proposal for a continuation of the storyline, with Tarkin having escaped the Death Star, laid low for a few years, and returned with an army of clones. Thankfully, it was either shot down by Lucasfilm, or they decided it wouldn't be a strong seller.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-09-2006, 09:16 AM
I can remember faint memories of playing with my figures and not yet owning a Darth Vader...so I used the TIE pilot to fill in for Darth. :)I had an extra vinyl Vader cape, so I used to put it on my TIE Pilot (had to trim the bottom, since he was shorter than DV) and call him the 2nd in command. Tah dah!

But alas, no Tarkin in those days.

LusiferSam
12-10-2006, 08:17 PM
Kenner did plan a Tarkin, in 1985 (or maybe 84), but I don't think it even made it to the prototype stage.

Kenner had put together a proposal for a continuation of the storyline, with Tarkin having escaped the Death Star, laid low for a few years, and returned with an army of clones. Thankfully, it was either shot down by Lucasfilm, or they decided it wouldn't be a strong seller.

Your about two thirds right. Kenner's post '85 line would have had a Tarkin figure (http://theswca.com/index.php?action=disp_item&item_id=50965), that escaped the Death Star somehow. The Grand Moff would have reemerged has the head of the Imperial forces. The new villain at the head of a clone army would have been Atha Prime (http://theswca.com/index.php?action=disp_item&item_id=47404). I don't have clue a why Kenner didn't go farther with this idea. Here's the full link (http://theswca.com/images-speci/85LineExt/index.html) for those that are interested in Kenner's post '85 ideas.

tagmac
01-03-2007, 09:42 PM
After seeing that list, I'm surprised Slave Leia still wasn't considered for the vintage line.

Jayspawn
01-03-2007, 09:56 PM
After seeing that list, I'm surprised Slave Leia still wasn't considered for the vintage line.

I believe one was. Hence that little ring and rope that came with the Jabba Playset. I heard a long time ago that it was for a Leia figure that never got produced.

bigbarada
01-03-2007, 10:21 PM
Hi all,

I'm sure this have come up a thousand times, but here goes.

Back when I was 6 or so, I remember getting my first star wars figures, and I remember the little pictures on the back of the figure card showing a a Grand Moff Tarkin figure, along with the other figures everyone knows about. I never actually saw a Tarkin figure and wrote this off as either a bad childhood memory or an early card back that showed an unproduced toy.

I considered the issue dead until last week, when my wife and I began reminiscing about our old Star Wars toys. She remembered playing with another child in the neighborhood who had a Tarkin action figure. I asked if it was perhaps the later imperial officer, or maybe a Battlestar Galactica Adama figure, but she was sure she had seen a Tarkin figure.

I'm guessing we both have bad memories, but here goes...

Does anyone else remember a Tarkin action figure advertised during the initial Star Wars figure releases?

Was there perhaps a foreign knock-off?

What year was it when you remember this? It might make it easier to guess which figure you might be mistaking for Tarkin.

I remember being absolutely convinced that the Cantina Band had been made as a mail-in set back in 1978. It wasn't until 1994 that I learned that I was completely wrong.

I've known people who are absolutely convinced that they can remember owning a rocket-firing Boba Fett or a Han Stormtrooper back in the 80s.

I studied in Psychology how memories can be warped and distorted over time. Something that we see now can jog our memory of an event that happened years earlier and we end up inserting this new object into that old memory and we can no longer tell the difference.

One example for me was seeing the POTF Planetary Map for the very first and only time when they listed 93 figures, Yak Face along with the other 92. I remember seeing a long-faced Jabba's palace alien back in 1987, but could really remember him being Yak Face. In 1990, when my brother bought some out-of-print hardcover book about ILM, I saw a big one page photo of Ephant Mon from ROTJ. Seeing him jogged my memory of seeing that Planetary Map and for a few years, I was sure that it was Ephant Mon that I saw as the 93rd action figure.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-04-2007, 11:07 AM
I believe one was. Hence that little ring and rope that came with the Jabba Playset. I heard a long time ago that it was for a Leia figure that never got produced.What, you mean Bespin Leia wasn't the original plan? :rolleyes:

There were a few "scenes" like that: Tauntaun had the Rebel Soldier and Hoth Han pictured, before Hoth Luke came out, Tatooine Luke in the X-Wing (with lightsaber extended?) before X-Wing Luke was released, Logray on a speeder bike (minus headdress... unless THAT'S a false memory, too) before Paploo was made.

dindae
01-05-2007, 09:22 AM
Your about two thirds right. Kenner's post '85 line would have had a Tarkin figure (http://theswca.com/index.php?action=disp_item&item_id=50965), that escaped the Death Star somehow. The Grand Moff would have reemerged has the head of the Imperial forces. The new villain at the head of a clone army would have been Atha Prime (http://theswca.com/index.php?action=disp_item&item_id=47404). I don't have clue a why Kenner didn't go farther with this idea. Here's the full link (http://theswca.com/images-speci/85LineExt/index.html) for those that are interested in Kenner's post '85 ideas.

Thanks for the links. That line would have been horrid. Those attack droids reminded me of the POTF2 R5-D4. It's funny to see a plan that includes more options for vehicles then it does for figures.

shammykenobi
01-05-2007, 10:04 AM
I remember as a kid finding the last of the Power of the force figures at a mall in myrtle beach, SC. I got the ones that I needed and I could swear that I remeber looking on the card backs and seeing pictures of at least 10 more figures that were supposed to be coming out. Amongst the ten that I remember were Mon Mothma, the human skiff guard with the black shroud over his face, han stormtrooper and some others. It wasn't until a few years ago that I found out these figures were never even planned let alone released. So I figure I must have dreamed it.

Deoxyribonucleic
01-05-2007, 11:36 AM
They made a handful of them and I have listed 3 for sale on eBay.

Thanks for keeping the price cheap on the one I picked up from you :thumbsup: You ol' softy! :love:

vader121
01-05-2007, 02:14 PM
Funny but I seem to recall a Mon Mothma figure too. Of all the figures though she would have been one of the worst. Another ANH Leia like figure that would be useless in battles.

DarkArtist
01-05-2007, 02:31 PM
this is a true story, I can remember a dream I had before the POTF series was released in which at a birthday party my friend gave me both a Han Solo in Carbonite and a Luke in Stormtrooper disguise. unfortunately at the time it was only a dream and only ROTJ figures were on the pegs. who would think that the next year we would get those two figures.
as far as the continuation of the POTF line, i would have loved to see those ideas see the light of day. I just think it's kind of funny that Kenner was not afraid to release ships and playsets but today Hasbro is. Wierd since Hasbro bought the Kenner company along with all the ideas and molds. I wonder if Hasbro ever considered releasing that last wave today if it would sell or not. maybe they can do this as an exclusive set on their website.