PDA

View Full Version : mabudon, you were right - Ronnie James Dio IS in the Tenacious D movie ! ! !

2-1B
12-04-2006, 07:40 PM
the title is an homage to the 2-1B in ROTS thread, but suffice it to say I was pleasantly surprised and delighted when I saw The Pick of Destiny last week and Dio's appearance in it. :grin: Plus Meat Loaf was on right before Dio's scene, so that was quite a twofer.

The movie itself was decent, I definitely enjoyed it but I think I was hoping for more from it...but it was good.

Dio coming alive from that poster with the throne, damnit was that ever classic ! :grin:

Tycho
12-05-2006, 05:38 AM
Ronnie James Dio plays Dr. X and sings on the Queensryche single "The Chase" all Dr. X's lines, when Nicky finally corners him and executes him for his revenge. On stage, Queensryche has an actor playing Dr. X, who's captured, then tied to a chair and shot in the back of the head at point-blank-range and he spits blood across the whole stage!

(They use a big screen video and recording for Dio when he's absent from the show).

Ronnie James Dio was rumored to appear at the last show I attended on the last night of the Mindcrime II tour (this past Saturday night), but he did not attend. Still, it was an awesome show at the Anaheim House of Blues in Downtown Disneyland. There was the band and at least 8 or more actors, plus Pamela Moore (as Mary), and Geoff Tate sometimes playing Nicky, and sometimes just being the lead singer.

Operation: Mindcrime (the whole thing) is now a working script and there will be a movie forthcoming. It'll be a live action film, not a musical.

I've heard the bad rumor that Guns N Roses vocalist Axl Rose wants to audition to play Nicky - but he's really too old now. (Well maybe too old for Nicky during Mindcrime I, but maybe not when he gets out of jail...)

In any case, Nicky was a college-bound kid influenced by "Karl Rove" type mogul Dr. X (also the prominent pharmaceutical lobbyist and drug dealer) to warp the kid into the violent assasination of X's political rivals in the name of revolution, but warped so much so as to leave conservative old money in power and taint the liberal reformers as anarchist radicals.

Then when Nicky was used up and his part had been played, he was tossed away and left hung out to dry, or in his case, committed to psychiatric incarceration.

Mindcrime II is about when he gets out after 18 years and goes on a bloody rampage in his quest for revenge.

I'm like a ghost,
back from the dead
I need revenge!
I'm going straight for his head

I'm going to finish him
X marks the spot
and when I find him
I'll give him all that I've got!

Darth Jax
12-05-2006, 09:33 AM
i was disappointed they didn't manage more cameos from aging rock stars in the movie.

overall the movie was barely average (but with jack black's body of work so far, that shouldn't be surprising). the mushroom sequence was by far the best part of the movie.

mabudonicus
12-05-2006, 05:40 PM
Hey Caesar, thanks for the homage :D!!!

I have tried to tell a few folks that tenacious D are featured in a DIO video as well, for "Push" (check youtube or something maybe) where DIO is trying to teach them the proper way to gesture..

The scene you describe makes me sorta giddy- I really have a hard time with Jack Black (not jjreason, the actual jack black) and his mugging, but I have a feeling I'm gonna have to check this one out, I can NOT get enough RJD, thanks very much for the heads-up :beard:Isobaws&

Rocketboy
12-05-2006, 08:41 PM
You don't have to go see the movie if you only want to see the Dio scene (http://youtube.com/watch?v=yY1tiMoDuCc).

Tycho
12-05-2006, 11:11 PM
That was fun. I started my Rebellion young myself and I never stopped!

That so reminded me of ....ME!