PDA

View Full Version : What Would Make the E2 Convention Worth the $75 to get in?

Thrawn
02-02-2002, 01:12 AM
There is no way in hell it is worth $75 for a 3 day ticket to the E2 CON. How could they possibly justify a $45 increase over 1999?? The tickets should be free as thanks to the fans instead of fleecing them.

Here are some things they should add so you have a chance of getting your money's worth.

1. Handshake and personal thanks from Lucas for wasting so much of your hard-earned money on SW and making him rich. Then you get to choose a costume and be filmed for a background character in E2.
2. Every guest gets a prop from E2 and a decent one, not just a piece of blue screen or a paintbrush, but something actually seen on screen. Choice of signed or unsigned by Lucas.
3. A certificate for the first 3 waves of E2 figures - guaranteed to get them the first day, reedemable at TRU, Wal*Mart or Target.
4. Dunk the Dummy starring Rick McCallum. 5 free balls where you get a chance to dunk Rick in ice cold water.

2-1B
02-02-2002, 02:24 AM
I would never get my handshake from George because I would be too busy dunking Ricky. :D

Obi-Don
02-02-2002, 08:02 AM
I would be to busy throwing the balls at him.;)

Rollo Tomassi
02-02-2002, 09:27 AM
The extra $30 is for the privilege of walking on plush carpets with a roof over your head rather than slogging through mud and getting soaked because some genius decided to have it OUTSIDE.

Also, WOTC is and are greedy little SOBs so they need a huge cut to supplement the losses from thier Role Playing game and the DOA new trading card game. (Honestly, is ANYBODY going to buy this thing? Trading Card games went out about 5 years ago...)

GNT
02-02-2002, 09:56 PM
I would never spend that much money for a ticket ever,nomatter what was at the event!

Very greedy meesa thinks :)

SithDroid
02-03-2002, 02:36 AM
Thrawn, your humor always is appreciated.

1. Mark Hamill dressed as the Joker.

2. Certificate for 5 free autographs from select guests.

3. Dunk the Dummy w/ Rick McCallum. Receive extra balls every time Rick says the F word. (You could dunk him all day!):D

4. Your own personal lightsaber prop.

derek
02-03-2002, 08:39 AM
how about 5 minutes alone with natalie?:stupid: oh wait, stupid me, only the has-beens will be at this thing!!:greedy:

AreTwo-DeeTwo
02-03-2002, 10:39 AM
I really like the dunk Rick idea!!!

I am actually thinking about going to this thing since it's only 3 hours from where I live. I will only go on Saturday unless Harrison Ford or someone big is supposed to come on Sunday. We all know the big names like that won't be there. People like that only show up if the event is in California and there is someone to kiss up to.

I'd assume they will have Anthony Daniels there. Supposedly about 30 on screen celebrities will be there from all 5 movies. I'd assume most of them will be background type characters. We'll see.

As it stands right now I will only go 1 day. No way would I pay $75. This is not exactly Walt Disney World entertainment we're talking here.

Rollo Tomassi
02-03-2002, 11:05 AM
This is my first SW Celebration so I sprang for the 3-day. I just think it'll be a hoot to spend 3 days with other Sw junkies. Plus, they are showing an advance screening of AOTC to those with a three day...

Mike Troxell
02-03-2002, 02:47 PM
The exclusive Celebration action figure and the concert of Star Wars music would be worth the $75 alone. But I can't go :(

InsaneJediGirl
02-03-2002, 09:48 PM
I'd go if

1.I got to dunk McCallum for putting NSync in AOTC.

2.The preview figure is free..and halfway decent(I dont
know if it is free.probably not)

3.Photo-Ops with the SW Stars,then have them sign it and thank you for supporting their sorry behinds.

I like the personalized lightsaber prop idea SithDroid :D

Tycho
02-06-2002, 01:07 PM
First off, I would've loved to make jokes about this one, but I'd be trying to hard to be funny, when seriousness is called for.

The exclusive action figure is another Luke X-wing with R.H., a MicroMachines X-wing on the card with him (a.k.a. Trophy Assortment style) and it might be on some kind of impressive cardback - but definitely exclusive.

To me, there could be so much more to see and do at this convention than to wait in line to spend $9.99 for that Luke. At least when I got my Theater Edition Luke Jedi figure, all I had to do was wait in line early for a movie I was already going to go and see. I almost had nothing better to do that day, but the waves were just awesome that day, because I remember I really wanted to stay at the beach but my brother insisted they were giving out the figures at this certain particular time...

Anyway, to seriously answer what they could do to make the convention worth the while (and the price):

GET THE STARS THERE:

1) Mark Hamill - sure he can't be THAT busy.
2) Carrie Fisher - likewise. Possibly on stage with Mark, together.
3) David Prowse is very cool - if he is well and able to attend.
4) Billy Dee Williams - is doing conventions and he should be there too.
5) Anthony Daniels WILL be there.
6) Kenny Baker, Peter Mayhew, Warick Davis, Jeremy Bulloch LIKELY TOO
7) Dennis Lawson - let's get him to a convention already!!! (or invite all the X-wing pilots and do a FLIGHT BREIFING with the fans! Tim Rose (Admiral Ackbar should be there, too!)

I think all of the above should do their own stints with the fans, then maybe a whole "Classic Cast Together" bit would be cool.

HARRISON FORD SHOULD COME:

He should be separate from the cast so he can talk about Star Wars, and also promote the announcing of the next INDIANA JONES and take Q&A about both Lucasfilm projects. Ford might like to lead the "Jones P.R. campaign."

1) Natalie Portman, Pernilla August, Jake Lloyd, and Ahmed Best should all be together, on stage at the same time. HAYDEN CHRISTIANSEN should crash their party.

2) Natalie and Hayden should do a second Q&A together.

3) Ahmed should host a JarJar recovery session with the fans and talk about the direction and purpose Lucas has given JarJar in these new films (there is one - read in more forums to discuss that though).

4) Silas Carson, "Plo Koon," FRANK OZ, Jerome Blake, etc should do a forum. The Jedi Council!!!

5) Bring back Ray Park - Darth Maul may be over-merchandized, but Ray Park at conventions is seriously a must-see! (he does karate stunts and fight moves!)

6) Watto, Boss Nass, and Sebulba - the voice actors should do a party for Q&A.

7) Temura Morrison and Daniel Logan - Face to Face with the Fetts! (this would be so popular they'd have to schedule it as often and for as many days as Ray Park had to do appearances in Denver).

8) SAMUEL L. JACKSON - as a huge FAN - he'd have a great time going to the convention even if he is a major star and everything.

9) GEORGE LUCAS - time to face the fans and do some PR.

10) Shelly Shapiro - NEW JEDI ORDER book conference with Ron Salvatore (who wrote Episode 2's novelization as well as the Death Of Chewbacca). Add in Alan Kausch and Lucy Autrey Wilson from Licensing and let's talk about Anakin Solo and Chewbacca!

11) Tim Truman, John Ostrander, Jan Duursema - A'Sharad, Quinlan, and Villie speak for Dark Horse! With Amy Allen (Aayla Secura in Episode II)

WHO WE WILL NOT GET (but would love to have):

Ewan McGreggor - have him up with Dennis Lawson (his uncle anyway)

Liam Neeson - have him with Ewan even!

(or maybe we could get) IAN MC DIARMID! (The Emperor Himself!)

Maybe from Australia - Bonnie Pieces and Joel Edgerton - with Phil Brown! (Aunt Beru and BOTH Uncle Owens - live!)

Would this rock as a convention or what???

I'm thinking about making sure I go just in case they even come close to getting something like this.

Oh, by the way, I think they should call that Dunk Rick Mc Callum thing the "Ricky DownTheSYNC Gameshow." The Indianapolis Fire Dept. can host (they can provide safety while assure we have enough water....)

stillakid
02-06-2002, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Tycho

3) Ahmed should host a JarJar recovery session with the fans and talk about the direction and purpose Lucas has given JarJar in these new films (there is one - read in more forums to discuss that though).

So you think. I don't remember any advanced screenings or releases of the next two screenplays to this date. :D

Because it's so far away, if I did go, I'd make myself find something to do for three days to make the trip worthwhile. What I can't wait for are the fan photos to start flooding the net. In addition to the usual 501st presence, I hope to see at least one group of InSync-Jedi's dancing around. That would make it worth it.

SithDroid
02-06-2002, 02:25 PM
Nice ideas Tycho.

I agree that we should get some more huge movie stars there, but unfortunately I don't see that happening with some and here's why.

1. Harrison Ford: He makes $20 million a picture. He probably wouldn't come for the salary they would pay him to be there, which is a shame. Even if I was a huge star I would attend just to meet the fans, but unfortunately I don't think Ford cares about SW anymore and wants to leave it in the past.

2. Ewan McGreggor: I'd love to see him also. He might be one of the people who actually would come. Ewan loves to do "Indie" films and strage roles. I could see something like this convention appealing to him.

3. Samuel L. Jackson: Sam should be there as he said a long time ago that he was interested in doing a convention, it's just a matter of if he has the time. He does shoot a lot of movies nowadays and might not be available.

4. Carrie Fisher: She should be availble. She hasn't done much lately and she did show up at the Disneyworld SW days. It shows she cares.

5. Mark Hamill: Also he hasn't done much lately. Sure he has the voiceover thing going, but he could find time to attend.

6. James Earl Jones: Why not have the voice of Darth Vader attend. I'm sure tons of people would love to meet him. He hasn't done much lately either.

7. Christopher Lee: This convention begs for him to come. He is in EP II and the LOTR, plus many fans of his Dracula days will be there. He has a huge fan base and it would be awesome to hear him speak.

8. Natalie Portman: She should be there, but I don't think this will happen. She goes to school while not filming and I believe finals week is that week.

9. Frank Oz: Everyone would love to hear from him. Hopefully his directing duties allow him to attend.

10. And last but not least George Lucas: It is time for Lucas to attend a convention. It is also time for him to confront the fans and hold a Q & A session with them. Unfortunately I don't see this happening because I believe Lucas would be afraid that he would be bombarded with questions about the midichlorians and Jar Jar.

All in all, I don't see how it would be that hard to get the stars there. Especially for the $75 admission price.

Tycho
02-06-2002, 08:57 PM
Thanks for the encouragement Sithdroid.

Stillakid- you don't like spoilers remember. If you did go to TFN or SSG's own spoiler forums, you pretty much would "almost" get the Episode 2 and Three screenplays. (Yes there is a lot of the dialogue!) Meanwhile, I wouldn't say that these plot outlines prove there was a reason for JarJar. There still isn't. It's just not as bad as it is when you take Episode One by itself. He is there and he does move the plot along (by inches, not even close to yards - let alone lightyears). In other words, it doesn't really have to take the literal "classic fool" from mythology to fill JarJar's role...but this thread is about the convention - and "The JarJar Show" would hardly be a mentionable part of it.

Thrawn
02-07-2002, 02:57 AM
The windbag police are writing you a ticket for going over the word limit.

In post 12 - You posted 757 words, 3,330 characters in a 200 word, 1000 character zone.

For your punishment I am confiscating all your Queen Amidala dolls - shame on you...wait...why are they all nude?!?

Tycho
02-07-2002, 03:02 AM
LOL - Thrawn!

stillakid
02-07-2002, 10:31 AM

If you did go to TFN or SSG's own spoiler forums, you pretty much would "almost" get the Episode 2 and Three screenplays. (Yes there is a lot of the dialogue!)

allegedly, per your preferences for what the story should be.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
02-08-2002, 09:30 PM
I think for that kind of money you should get your own jawa whipping boy or a protocol droid to be your slave. :p

2-1B
07-04-2002, 12:58 AM
The exclusive action figure is another Luke X-wing with R.H., a MicroMachines X-wing on the card with him (a.k.a. Trophy Assortment style) and it might be on some kind of impressive cardback - but definitely exclusive.

Tycho, who's this Luke figure you were talking about? :p :p :p

Thrawn, at least people who shelled 75 bones had a chance at snatching $10 Saculs to cover their costs! :D

Tycho
07-04-2002, 02:22 AM
Misinformation I had gotten from a usually credible source. That's why you didn't see it in the news here at SSG. It wasn't confirmed at the time.

Either way, the exclusive was not going to be cool (to me).

But probably someone who didnt know the difference between Luke and George was the factory production guy that leaked the info originally. Someone who thinks anyone wearing an orange flight suit was Luke. Some people who are non-fans or just very casual ones that've seen the films once might say that.