PDA

View Full Version : Please take a moment

chrisc
12-05-2006, 08:41 PM
Its the holiday season, and its just a few weeks until Christmas. I would like to ask of you forumites to take a moment to remember my brothers and sisters who will not be home for the holidays.

Old Fossil
12-05-2006, 09:54 PM
Its the holiday season, and its just a few weeks until Christmas. I would like to ask of you forumites to take a moment to remember my brothers and sisters who will not be home for the holidays.

Will do.
:yes:

Slicker
12-05-2006, 10:50 PM
I've got the same brothers and sisters (more than a handful of whom are out on the boat) so I can easily do that.

General_Grievous
12-06-2006, 06:00 PM
No problem, and I hope they all have a safe holiday. :)

2-1B
12-06-2006, 07:59 PM
I've got a cousin who is a pilot in the Air Force, he's one of my best friends, and he is stuck out of the country this Christmas due to the poor decision making of others. :mad:

Mad Slanted Powers
12-07-2006, 01:58 AM
Indeed, best wishes to those who serve. I have a niece who joined the Marines over a year ago. I believe she is stationed in Okinawa now. Don't know if she is going to be home for Christmas or not.

JetsAndHeels
12-07-2006, 12:16 PM
And today marks the 65th anniversary of Pearl Harbor. I was watching the news this morning and all it got was about a 30 second slot before they moved onto something else.
Let's not forget what happened on this day..so many of our men and women died for our country. Let's not overlook it.

CaptainSolo1138
12-07-2006, 09:31 PM
Today, most speculate, was the last Pearl Harbor Day that will have an organized contingent of Pearl survivors in attendence at the USS Arizona memorial due to their dwindling numbers and the poor health of those still alive. :(

Slicker
12-07-2006, 10:55 PM
Definitely sad. Being that this is the 65th anniversary most of them are probably over 85 so there aren't many WWII survivors let alone Pearl survivors.:cry:

Phantom-like Menace
12-08-2006, 12:23 AM
Today, most speculate, was the last Pearl Harbor Day that will have an organized contingent of Pearl survivors in attendence at the USS Arizona memorial due to their dwindling numbers and the poor health of those still alive. :(

Definitely one of our more precious non-renewable resources. I'm kind of annoyed this year I let twenty-three hours of December 7 pass without realizing what date it was.

bobafrett
12-08-2006, 08:15 AM
I have a freind who is over in Iraq doing translation for the troops. She left a job her in Illinois to go serve the US. She moved over here with her family from Kuwait right before Saddam Hussein invaded, and became a neighbor of mine, then we became friends.

Here is a picture she sent me of her training to shoot her weapon.

Slicker
12-08-2006, 11:13 AM
Definitely one of our more precious non-renewable resources. I'm kind of annoyed this year I let twenty-three hours of December 7 pass without realizing what date it was.Well, seeing as it's only the defining moment in US 20th century history I never saw a single thing about it on any of the news channels (CNN, Fox, MSN, Yahoo, etc.) Quite sad too.

DarkArtist
12-08-2006, 11:18 AM
all my families prayers and holiday wishes are extended to all our fighting brothers and sisters.

Old Fossil
12-08-2006, 12:35 PM
Well, seeing as it's only the defining moment in US 20th century history I never saw a single thing about it on any of the news channels (CNN, Fox, MSN, Yahoo, etc.) Quite sad too.

Sad, too, that chief among our 'defining moments' are those in which we have been attacked...

CaptainSolo1138
12-08-2006, 09:47 PM
I watched "Tora, Tora, Tora: The True Story of Pearl Harbor" on the History Channel yeaterday morning and didn't realize for another hour or two that it was, in fact, Pearl Harbor day.

BTW, Slick, not only have I had Jimmy Doolittle's niece for an instructor this semester, but a kid in one of my history courses had a great-uncle who was one of the 300 survivors of the USS Indianapolis mess.

Phantom-like Menace
12-08-2006, 11:39 PM
Well, seeing as it's only the defining moment in US 20th century history I never saw a single thing about it on any of the news channels (CNN, Fox, MSN, Yahoo, etc.) Quite sad too.

For myself I blame my schedule. I work 11:00pm-7:00am and 9:00am-5:00pm, sleep 6:00pm-10:00pm and date everything for the previous date for my night job. So, I wasn't really conscious and/or contemplating the date until that night at 11:00pm when I flipped on CNN at work.

BTW, Slick, not only have I had Jimmy Doolittle's niece for an instructor this semester,

Don't suppose you ever asked her what she thought of Alec Baldwin playing Colonel Doolittle in Pearl Harbor, did you? That's bothered me since that movie came out. No real reason other than that it's Alec Baldwin who's annoyed me in everything he's been in after Hunt for Red October.

CaptainSolo1138
12-09-2006, 10:32 AM
Don't suppose you ever asked her what she thought of Alec Baldwin playing Colonel Doolittle in Pearl Harbor, did you? That's bothered me since that movie came out. No real reason other than that it's Alec Baldwin who's annoyed me in everything he's been in after Hunt for Red October.
As an afterthought, I wished that I had asked her that. I may see her next week. If I do, I definitely want to ask her that. I thought Baldwin did pretty good in the roll (especially when one looks at the movie as a whole), but I can't get over his ignorant political fanaticisms and take him too seriously.

In an instance of it being a small world, the father of another one of my history professors was stationed aboard the USS Hornet with Doolittle.

JEDIpartner
04-23-2007, 12:49 PM

How about "our" brothers and sisters. We're all related. :sleeping: