PDA

View Full Version : Quick question: Queen

El Chuxter
12-07-2006, 09:58 PM
(Hey! 3 Q's!)

Album: Night at the Opera

Song: '39 (original studio version from the aforementioned album, with Brian on lead vocals)

2-1B
12-07-2006, 10:49 PM
song: Tie Your Mother Down

Darth Jax
12-07-2006, 10:49 PM
album - i'll go with a night at the opera as well.

song - fat bottom girls, i've always loved that song since i was a wee lad.

Rogue II
12-07-2006, 10:55 PM
I almost started this thread this morning, but I couldn't pick a song or album.

Album: A Kind of Magic

Song: Hammer to Fall

I mentioned this in another thread, but is there a more depressing rock song than "The Show Must Go On"? Freddie Mercury was dying of aids as he wrote it.

JimJamBonds
12-07-2006, 11:02 PM
Song: Crazy Little Thing Called Love.

Kidhuman
12-07-2006, 11:17 PM
Album: None in particular....

Song: Fat Bottom Girls, Pressure

2-1B
12-08-2006, 06:20 AM
so Darth Jax and Kid Yuman like the big'uns, eh ? lol

Darth Jax
12-08-2006, 07:11 AM
so Darth Jax and Kid Yuman like the big'uns, eh ? lol

and the naughty nannies.

General_Grievous
12-08-2006, 08:26 AM
Album: I'll jump on the Night at the Opera bandwagon as well.

Song: Bohemian Rhapsody

Droid
12-08-2006, 08:33 AM
Don't know the albums.

Song: Somebody to Love

El Chuxter
12-08-2006, 09:45 AM
Rogue II, something about I find something about "Teo Torriate (Let Us Cling Together)" to be even more depressing.

Edit: BTW, Queen is one of those bands with some amazing non-album b-sides. Some were released on the remastered CDs in 1991 (especially the killer "See What a Fool I've Been"), but several are still impossible to find. I can tell you "A Human Body" and "Lost Opportunity" are two of the best songs they recorded. (The former is a synth-driven Roger Taylor track from 1980, the latter Brian playing slow blues in 1991.)

mabudonicus
12-08-2006, 09:59 AM
KH- you meant "Under Pressure" off the album "Hot Space", plain ol "Pressure" is the only really good Billy Joel song :D

Song- "Dead on Time", or "Brighton Rock", OR "Sheer Heart Attack" or heck, even "Princes of the Universe"

Album- QUEEN
:beard:Isobaws&

Kidhuman
12-08-2006, 01:00 PM
Yeah under pressure - pressure whatever....

Rogue II
12-08-2006, 01:46 PM
Yeah under pressure - pressure whatever....

Go ahead and say it. You became a fan because of Ice Ice Baby.

dindae
12-08-2006, 03:13 PM
Album - The Game (the first album I ever owned and it still holds up strong to me)

song - I'ts Late (but that could change tomorrow)

DarkArtist
12-08-2006, 07:29 PM
Tough one here huge Queen fan so I list the albums and fav songs:

Queen : Great King Rat, Doin' All Right, Keep Yourself Alive

Queen II : Love the whole album including the remix of Seven Seas of Rhye

A Kind of Magic : Again whole album

News of the World : Spread Your Wings

It's a Beautiful Day : Too Much Love Will Kill You

Night at the Opera : again whole album, fav's '39 and The Prophet Song

The Works : again whole album

The Miracle : another great album

Innuendo : Love the title track, and I'm going slightly mad

and on a side note Freddie's Solo Album "The Great Pretender" great mix of music and he does an amazing job of covering the Platters song "The Great Pretender."

El Chuxter
12-09-2006, 11:50 AM
Oh, you wanna go that route, eh?

Queen: Mad the Swine

Queen II: Seven Seas of Rhye (but not the dance remix-ewww)

Sheer Heart Attack: Brighton Rock

A Night at the Opera: '39

A Day at the Races: Good Old Fashioned Lover Boy

News of the World: Sleeping on the Sidewalk

Jazz: Fat Bottomed Girls

Play the Game: Sail Away Sweet Sister

Flash Gordon: Flash's Theme (not much of an album, truthfully)

Hot Space: Under Pressure (ditto--pretty mediocre disco album)

The Works: I Want to Break Free

A Kind of Magic: Princes of the Universe

The Miracle: Was It All Worth It?

Innuendo: I'm Going Slightly Mad

Made in Heaven: Let Me Live

and on a side note Freddie's Solo Album "The Great Pretender" great mix of music and he does an amazing job of covering the Platters song "The Great Pretender."

Yes, but try to track down a copy of Mr Bad Guy, the 80s solo album that includes the original mixes of a lot of those songs. The originals are much better.

CaptainSolo1138
12-09-2006, 09:35 PM
Album: News of the World
Song: Killer Queen

dindae
12-11-2006, 10:40 AM
Ok since we are going album by album.

Queen: Liar

Queen II: Ogre Battle

Sheer Heart Attack: Brighton Rock

A Night at the Opera: The Prophet Song

A Day at the Races: Good Old Fashioned Lover Boy

News of the World: It's Late

Jazz: Mustapha

The Game: Sail Away Sweet Sister

Flash Gordon: Vultan's theme (I love this album)

Hot Space: Under Pressure

The Works: Machines (Or Back to Humans)

A Kind of Magic: One Vision

The Miracle: Invisible Man 12" version

Innuendo: Innuendo

Made in Heaven: Too Much Love Will Kill You

DarkArtist
12-11-2006, 12:07 PM
Yes, but try to track down a copy of Mr Bad Guy, the 80s solo album that includes the original mixes of a lot of those songs. The originals are much better.

Yes, you are right, I was able to get this CD a week or so after I got the second. Also have the third CD with Monserat Caberela with the Barcelonia Theme.

And if you're really into Queen, pick up Brian May's solo album "Back to the Light."

also am a big fan of the Live Killers rendition of "We Will Rock You" the first track on the double CD.

El Chuxter
12-11-2006, 01:22 PM
And if you're really into Queen, pick up Brian May's solo album "Back to the Light."

May as well get Roger's "Happiness?" and Brian's "Live at the Brixton Academy," too. :)

Pass on the albums by The Cross (Roger's side project). Aside from an early version of "Heaven for Everyone," they suck.

Anyone here ever heard (or heard of) Starfleet Project? This was apparently a side project from the early 80s with Brian and Eddie Van Halen. I've never been able to track any of it down, but the idea of it sounds pretty... mythic. :beard:

JON9000
12-11-2006, 04:49 PM
album: FLASH GORDON THE ORIGINAL MOTION PICTURE SOUNDTRACK

song: FLASH'S THEME

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-04-2007, 04:35 PM
From what I have:
Album - A Night at the Opera
Song - I'm In Love With My Car

I watched a Queen concert they had On Demand a few months ago. I really loved that version of Love of My Life, with just the guitar and vocals, but the actual album version is a little cheesy what with the harp.

Are their later albums (post-Flash) even worth getting? The album covers all look horrendously stupid (especially A Kind of Magic). I believe a certain Mr. Flornbi would have something to say about these.

El Chuxter
01-04-2007, 04:58 PM
Flash Gordon: I think it's overrated and not very good. It's a "love it or hate it" sort of album.

The Game: Their best 80s effort (well, after The Game, which is pre-Flash). Hammer to Fall, Radio Ga-Ga, and I Want to Break Free are the standouts.

A Kind of Magic: When I first got into Queen, a friend described this as "basically the soundtrack to Highlander." It's those songs, some songs from Iron Eagle, and maybe one or two other songs. Not bad, but it wouldn't be at the top of my list. Kinda cheesy. But if you watch Highlander and dig the music....

The Miracle: On several songs, they move away from the synthesizer; on others, they embrace it a bit too much. Underrated, and has a few songs that are probably the hardest rocking stuff they ever recorded.

Innuendo: Their last album, and one of the best. Of all the ones I've listed here, I'd definitely get this one first. Freddie knew he had not long to live, and he really poured his heart and soul into this one, as did the other members.

Made in Heaven: A postmortem album, made up of scraps from the Innuendo sessions, and a remixed song by Roger Taylor's horrid side project that had Freddie on guest vocals ("Heaven for Everyone"), The Cross, with the far more talented John Deacon and Brian May on instruments. The material's good, but the album feels spliced together and doesn't quite gel as a whole. "Let Me Live" is one of my favorite Queen songs, though, with Freddie, Brian, and Roger trading vocals. (If you ignore the rather crummy lyrics, it sounds amazing.)

DarkArtist
01-05-2007, 08:07 AM
having every Queen album including two versions of the Live Magic Tour and a copy of Queen at the Beeb, I think the later albums almost showed a new side of the band. perhaps of my favorite albums is The Miracle, and The Works. both albums stand out with great tracks and lyrics. as far as Innuendo, for me just the first few tracks I like as well as the last two perhaps on the second side. (have it on tape & CD).

my suggestion go online to a queen website or fansite, one is bound to have the entire Queen library with clips of songs to listen to.

dindae
01-05-2007, 08:29 AM
Flash Gordon: I loved the movie so that probably influences me. The album is mostly instrumental with clips from the movie thrown in.

The Works: A very solid album probably my favorite of the ones listed here

A Kind of Magic: This is a pretty good album dispite the fact that it is mainly a soundtrack to the Highlander.

The Miracle: Probably the most synthsized album they did. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Innuendo: I agree with Chuxter that Freddie poured himself into the album as I think the rest of the band did. And I think it is probably a better tie to their older albums than most of the others. However there are a few tracks that I just don't like.

Made in Heaven: Since this albums is built from scraps it doesn't have a very organic feel. However it was done pretty well all things considered, but it's probably my least favorite album by them.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-20-2007, 10:31 AM
Album(s): if you can't choose, pick Classic Queen vols. 1 & 2.

Song: I vacilate between "Under Pressure" and "Radio Ga Ga."

2-1B
01-21-2007, 10:28 AM
I'm not looking to correct you or anything, but the titles are Queen Greatest Hits and Classic Queen.

I only mention it because I thought it was a goofy way to title them. lol lol lol

I prefer your labels. :thumbsup:

El Chuxter
01-21-2007, 11:36 AM
Ah, but there is a Classic Queen Vol 2 in England.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-21-2007, 01:31 PM
I'm not looking to correct you or anything, but the titles are Queen Greatest Hits and Classic Queen.

I only mention it because I thought it was a goofy way to title them. lol lol lol

I prefer your labels. :thumbsup:Thanks for the props, Caes. I never remember which songs are on which CD, so I just call them I and II, and "Greatest Hits" is always a lame cliche' album title, ergo the "Classic" inclusion.