PDA

View Full Version : Basic Instinct

Tycho
12-10-2006, 02:55 AM
Not too much to say I think. We'll see how this goes.

I was surprised that after many years this movie is still titilating to a degree. The women (Sharon Stone and Jeanne Tripplehorn), in spite of being older than for my typical taste, aquit themselves well and the close-ups are actually quite sexy.

I watched Paul Verhoven's director's cut. The difference was that it showed a more graphic snuff scene in the opening ice pick murder of the retired rock star, and it embelishes on the rape-style sex that Tripplehorn endures when Michael Douglas is too worked up over Katherine Trammel (Sharon Stone) to cope with it.

The actual best thing about this movie is not its eroticism, but that it makes you reasonably doubt the key suspect and shift suspicions over to Tripplehorn's character "Beth," as it plays with your head as it does Douglas' "Nick" character.

That being said, it remains a bit far-fetched on how Katherine could plant all that evidence and get away from the scenes of some crimes, especially the end where she stabs Nick's partner Gus, and no one sees her disappear, but she's left a blonde wig, ice pick, and SFPD jacket behind her for the police to trace.

There's also no DNA evidence left behind by her - or at least none that she wouldn't have an allibye for. Yeah, I know - it's just a movie. But I think this one was 1992 or shortly afterward, when CSI technology was making huge breakthroughs.

2-1B
12-10-2006, 12:57 PM
the beav shot was wayyyyyyyy overhyped.

pbarnard
12-10-2006, 01:19 PM
There's also no DNA evidence left behind by her - or at least none that she wouldn't have an allibye for. Yeah, I know - it's just a movie. But I think this one was 1992 or shortly afterward, when CSI technology was making huge breakthroughs.

No, it existed from at least the early 80s (most of it discovered in the early 70s). It just wasn't made part of the conversation till some one drove a white bronco like an old lady...

While there have been some improvements, mostly though it is in the sequencing ability due to computers. Identifying similar sequences hasn't changed that much.

Tycho
12-10-2006, 02:05 PM
Then the only way for Katherine to leave no prints on the ice pick, for one example, would be to have 2 ice picks, and leave one she used after her victim was already dead. Then she'd have time to handle the pick with rubber gloves on or something - which you ordinarily do not wear when having sex.

2-1B
12-10-2006, 03:55 PM
yes I do....