PDA

View Full Version : Swingers

Tycho
12-10-2006, 07:49 AM
This movie parallels events in my life way too closely! But it is a good flick nevertheless.

I want to scream "Noooo!" when Mike calls that girl Nikki at 2:30 in the morning right after he just met her.

A big change from high school to college was that in the former, you could call a girl only hours after you just got her number. Later on, as we get older, we have to look like we have more important things to do.

A good point the movie makes when Mike finally meets Loraine (Heather Graham) is that it's usually best to tell the truth. People get so caught in their lies - like when Nikki remembers him trying to get a job application for Starbuck's.

But I remember the "car chases," where every single guy hoping to score must take his own separate car so he's not responsible for driving a buddy home, or dependant on them for a ride (thus free to go wherever with a chick he meets). I totally used to be a stickler about not driving anyone or riding with anyone to clubs or parties. Haha.

I also have a friend much like Trent (Vince Vaughn) who got all the girls with seemingly little or no effort. He's still at it and will probably never settle down (but I've learned that's a good thing when I look at how all the couples I know eventually tire of each other and become miserable - well technically speaking - I have some married friends that appear to be working out just fine for the time being.)

Anyway, this movie is a great "documentary" on the single life.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
12-10-2006, 09:21 AM
"Swingers" is one of my favorite movies, ever. I won't dive into why as it's a long essay, but it's just a solid, honest, very funny flick. It's painful for me to watch some of it, especially the part you mentioned Tycho, but also the part where Mike calls his ex from the trailer with those two girls. My God, i cringed. And I can't tell you how many times during my undergrad we'd be leaving a party and somebody would have to add, "Yeah, this place is dead anyway." And not to mention people say I look like Jon Favreau, which I guess is a good thing?? anyone? :thumbsup:

Darth Jax
12-10-2006, 10:55 AM
you are soooo money

Tycho
12-10-2006, 01:22 PM
It's painful for me to watch some of it, especially the part you mentioned Tycho, but also the part where Mike calls his ex from the trailer with those two girls. My God, i cringed.

I know. I so wanted to slap him. We've all had some pathetic breakdown moments in our lives - but that was far worse than anything I ever pulled. Oh did I ever want to reach into my TV as if I could smack him!

I love the fact that when he first knocks on the door into the other girl's "bedroom," you see Trent's hand reach out to hand him a condom. That so reminded me of college days.

And I can't tell you how many times during my undergrad we'd be leaving a party and somebody would have to add, "Yeah, this place is dead anyway."

For sure. There'd still be 100's of people there of course.

And not to mention people say I look like Jon Favreau, which I guess is a good thing?? anyone?

I wouldn't say so - but a chick should probably answer that question. I only know that Vince Vaugn is Jennifer Anniston's style - but does that give anyone bragging rights either?

Jon Favreau wrote and co-produced this film though. That is something for him to be proud of.

2-1B
12-10-2006, 01:54 PM
I'm gonna find me two waitresses here and I'm gonna pull me a Fredo.

All right, all right I'll ask her. Miss, miss! Do you know where the high school girls hang out around here? What? What? That's right, I'm the ***hole! I'm the ***hole!

JimJamBonds
12-12-2006, 11:56 PM
One of my all time favorite movies! Way too many good parts to only choose one!!!!

Slicker
12-13-2006, 12:00 AM
Way too many good parts to only choose one!!!!Nice cop out.:thumbsup:

That's what someone that can't remember the movie but is desperate to get in on the conversation would say.:p

JimJamBonds
12-13-2006, 12:10 AM
That's what someone that can't remember the movie but is desperate to get in on the conversation would say.:p

OR trying to pad posts!

Fine, I'll give you a favorite part: Mike finally gets a call back from his ex and he blows her off, so much so all we hear her say is "I love..." and then click.

Tycho
12-13-2006, 03:22 AM
That's so true though: The best way to get over a girl is getting a new girl.

El Chuxter
12-13-2006, 11:21 AM
Good soundtrack, too. Very classic.