PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Sets all gone?

Mandalorian Candidat
12-10-2006, 05:09 PM
Does anyone remember that email sent out by Lego a while back mentioning that there could be a shortage of sets around Christmastime? There was talk that this was only referring to the European market and not the US, but I'm not so sure now. I went to TRU last week a couple of times and they are out of all the SW Lego sets except for the UCS AT-ST, the Clone Turbo Tank, and a few of the Slave 1s (this was Monday morning and continued through Sat during the BOGO 50% sale). Checking Amazon.com, TRU.com, and WM.com, many of those sets are also marked as sold out. Lego S@H is the same except for some of the 2007s.

Has anybody else seen this? I've been putting off getting the Jabba Barge and Slave 1 hoping for a really good sale or clearance and now it seems to be too late. Hopefully there'll be a restock but who knows.

Kidhuman
12-10-2006, 09:02 PM
I havent seen any of the 06 sets sans the Barge and ISD. All others have been gone for some time now.

JediTricks
12-10-2006, 09:46 PM
TRU stores short on '06 sets because they had that BOGO sale (buy one, get one half off, specifically) which likely was intended to make room for the '07 sets hitting stores soon. Targets still have some '06s, and I think Kmarts might too, but consider that these sets are either 6 months old or even a year old, it's not surprising that the sets aren't found in greater quantities. Your best bet to getting the ISD and Sail Barge on super sale will be Target's January clearance extraveganza, but it only works great if you put in the legwork, and that means having the time, the ability to travel from store to store, and several stores in the area to check every Friday. I suspect the Slave I will sell through on clearance too fast to find, but you never know.

Mandalorian Candidat
12-11-2006, 08:52 AM
...and several stores in the area to check every Friday.

Are you implying that Target marks their stuff for clearance (or even changes the clearance %-off) on Fridays? I didn't realize they had a set day for doing that. If so, that's good news.

JediTricks
12-11-2006, 02:52 PM
I think that's what I was told, Fridays are the markdown days... oh dear, I just realized, WM is Fridays, Target's toy dept clearances are on Wednesdays.

JON9000
12-12-2006, 01:35 PM
TRU stores short on '06 sets because they had that BOGO sale (buy one, get one half off, specifically)

That's what did it around here. One day they were all over the place, next day, the shelves were bare and have been ever since.

Ji'dai
12-12-2006, 01:38 PM
Nearly all the '06 sets are difficult to find locally. The Star Destroyer and Sail Barge are completely sold out, but are still on order. Even LEGO Shop@Home has them listed on backorder until mid-February for the Barge and mid-March for the ISD. That special edition X-Wing with Wedge is on backorder until next June!

Mandalorian Candidat
12-13-2006, 01:36 PM
The only local store I haven't checked lately is Shopko. I've been dropping hints to my wife lately to get me the Jabba Barge for XMas and they're just MIA now. I'm just hoping they'll get restocked at retail so I won't end up paying more in the aftermarket.

Ji'dai
12-13-2006, 02:33 PM
I'm hoping the Sail Barge or Star Destroyer will be restocked before christmas since both are on my list :D

I do wonder whether retail stores will restock these large sets when they do their mid-winter resets next year. Many stores downsize their LEGO section until the holiday reset in late summer-early fall. If they do restock, here's hoping they go on clearance in January! I remember seeing the ESB Falcon on clearance for $50 after christmas a couple years ago.

But I'm sure the Barge and ISD will available from both TRU stores and Shop@Home through at least next year.

JediTricks
12-13-2006, 04:21 PM
I suspect Target and TRU will both restock the ISD and Sail Barge next year if LEGO continues to ship them. They've been moving around here, slowly but steadily for the price.

Mandalorian Candidat
12-19-2006, 09:10 PM
I'm wondering if this may be an aberration in Madison then. Everywhere I've gone, toys in general have really been flying off the shelves, but especially Legos. At the two WMs and Targets here, ALL Legos are gone except for a few Duplos and Bionicles. At TRU, they only have a few large Batman sets and some Ferrari ones.

Mandalorian Candidat
12-22-2006, 10:27 PM
Anyone experiencing the same thing I'm seeing in their area? I stopped off at two Targets, two WMs, a TRU, and a Shopko today and found only one SW system set (a 2007 Y-Wing) and about 10 UCS AT-STs. Just about all the Batman, Viking, Knights, Spongebob, and Exoforce sets were gone from TRU and were totally missing from the other stores (well, other than the Target Exoforce exclusive).

I am totally blown away at the demand for Lego this season. It looks like the City sets and pretty much most of the duplo are gone as well, with only the Aqua Raider sets in large numbers at TRU. I've never seen it like this at Christmas time before so I don't know if that's how things are up here in brat n' cheese land or this is going on everywhere.

I kind of hope this is a universal thing which would show Lego that their stuff is popular and spurs them to make even greater sets in the future.

Ji'dai
12-23-2006, 06:42 PM
The shelves are bare here as well. Both Super Wal-Marts and even the Super K-Mart, with it's mediocre selection, have been hit pretty hard. I haven't seen the Sail Barge or Star Destroyer since before Thanksgiving and I've been looking every week since.

TRU's LEGO aisle looked deceptively well-stocked today with UCS AT-STs, Aqua Raiders, Bionicle, Batman, City, Creator, EXO-Force, Mosaic, Ferrari, and a few Harry Potter sets filling out the shelves. Star Wars is a hot commodity and goes damn fast. The new City Fire Station and most of the Creator House sets have sold out.

This is not a surprise for me since I saw the same thing last year and the year before that. Only difference this time around is that I missed out on the Star Wars sets I wanted most. By this time last year I was able to score all the new-year SW sets, plus get the other stuff I wanted during TRU's BOGO sale.

I did find the AT-ST and Grievous Starfighter at K-Mart today. They were also on sale, 10% off. I picked up a Krusty Krab too. Still haven't seen the other '07 SW sets yet.

JediTricks
12-26-2006, 07:29 PM
LEGO's was moving hot the last week or so, stores were near-barren all over town from what I saw in my travels. I saw a few newer than the '07 sets that came out in Nov, like the underwater Bionicle (not selling well yet, I don't think people recognize what it is with such a crazy package) and 1 Imperial Landing Craft. Everything else sold pretty hard. The odd thing is, I think the 2006 entries were generally quite poor and I expected folks to stay away.

figrin bran
12-26-2006, 10:49 PM
There were still a few V-Wings and A-Wings at a WM i visited today. Target has already put up the shelf tags for the 07 SW sets.

Mandalorian Candidat
12-27-2006, 11:25 AM
There were still a few V-Wings and A-Wings at a WM i visited today. Target has already put up the shelf tags for the 07 SW sets.

Wow, that's fast. I visited the two local Targets and both had their Lego sections condensed down to just the bionicle containers with no other shelf tags.

I actually did see a lone ILC at a WM and TRU restocked their V-Wing supply but that's it for now. I've never been so pumped for a Lego set like the battle packs. I'm hoping they come sooner rather than the rumored 15th of Jan (or so).

Ji'dai
12-31-2006, 02:10 PM
I'd just like to find a Sail Barge at Wal-Mart again so I can use my gift card. I'm afraid they won't restock such a pricey set now that toy sales typically begin to drop off.

I did see the Landing Craft and Grievous Starfighter at WM though.

Mandalorian Candidat
01-02-2007, 09:42 AM
I'd just like to find a Sail Barge at Wal-Mart again so I can use my gift card. I'm afraid they won't restock such a pricey set now that toy sales typically begin to drop off.

I did see the Landing Craft and Grievous Starfighter at WM though.

That's what I would have thought, but I went to a WM on Sat. and they had restocked with a few V-Wings and Jabba's Barges.

My local Target was a little better. They had almost fully restocked the original 2006 line right after Christmas, but yesterday they were either all sold out or were pulled to do the reset.

Ji'dai
01-05-2007, 04:53 PM
The WMs here have completed their reset. Both the Sail Barge and Star Destroyer were on the planograms and had shelf tags, but neither set was in stock. The TIE Interceptor, Slave I, and V-Wing were also listed but it looks like WM's here are no longer carrying the A and B-Wings.

JediTricks
01-05-2007, 04:56 PM
I've been seeing a lot of Sail Barges and B-wings and V-wings lately at TRU and Targets, but all the other '06 entries are history.

Mandalorian Candidat
01-05-2007, 05:32 PM
I noticed last night at my Target (Madison, WI) they had restocked all the 2006 sets except for the A-Wing. Even the ISD, JSB, and the 2007 sets were there.