PDA

View Full Version : Philadephia

Tycho
12-10-2006, 11:34 PM
I don't consider this as much a gay rights movie, as it is a film about dishabilitating illness.

I strongly sympathize with Tom Hanks character (in one of his greatest film roles) as I worry about what kind of fate my kidney disease has planned for me. I so relate to seeing everyone from an emergency room bed and the IVs and "finding a working vein," etc. It's funny, but watching this helps me come to peace with one possible fate I face.

Now I don't have HIV / AIDS (or had any STDs) but I've chosen riskier women. Are they really worth the risk? It's a question I find myself asking tonight.

Meanwhile, I harbor a lot of the prejudices that Denzel Washington's character "Miller" was trying to expose in the wrongful termination lawsuit case. I can very easily and LOGICALLY ascertain how misusing certain body parts leads to the spreading of disease. Duh! This is as dangerous for any couple of any sexual orientation.

Whether AIDS was ever a government manufactured virus designed for covert bio-warfare is the subject of another thread (and another movie).

However, do these things that keep some of human population growth in check and everyone's eventual and inevitable demise constitute tragedy? I'm asking myself that question, too. I can answer that it definitely may if a life goes unfulfilled.

It is an afterthought for me, viewing this film, if hatred towards gays is the overall afflicting issue. I think it was intended to be for this film, but that did not resonate with me. I think that "Andy's" termination from his job was wrong - I can see that. But it was very true when Miller asks the question "how does comraderie with gays affect others' perception of you? - They are all asking themselves and wondering," he notes in the trial.

Tying this up with parts of lives being unfulfilled, I think that there is deep regret and anger from folks who did not become the glorified "studs or socialites" that they once fantacized about being. Their search for companionship they found with same-sex partners is a source of disgrace for them, and should they lack even that, the implication that they are gay serves as an imlication they are failures (at being whatever stereotype of stud or socialite they were supposed to grow up to be). That is why Wheeler and the others are so adamant of pushing Andy away and out of their offices. I'd guess that some of that fear lends itself from them being unhappy in their own personal marriages and dealing with their own aging. Note how they recollect their youth (in the Navy for an example) with fondness for who they used to be. There's more nostalgic warmth in recollecting that about their past than in their present status as powerful partners in a leading law firm.

I think that the characters were well portrayed with a lot of depth for this film as they quite well-resembled real people that I often look through and feel I wind up knowing better than they know themselves. People's stupidity (or to be fair we'll call it ignorance) about even themselves doesn't surprise me any longer. It is a root where I dig in to discuss a lot about religion and politics from, but this is not the Rancor Pit. I've done my best to stay on topic about the movie Philadelphia.

I just want to add one more thing: I love their cheese steaks! Thinking of Philadephia made me hungry. What the hell?

2-1B
12-11-2006, 07:06 PM
In my camraderie with my gay friends, if people want to question my sexuality I couldn't give a ****.
In fact, I wish people who judge like that would die from AIDS themselves. :)