PDA

View Full Version : Godzilla

Tycho
12-12-2006, 12:41 AM
I really love this movie. I'm talking about 1998's film starring Matthew Broderick and Jean Reno.

It gets a bad rep with people, or maybe it just did bad at the box office as the previews they used to spike interest never showed the monster, and thus didn't spike interest.

I thought most of the film was very realistic and they used a great story.

I did not know that if you're French, you can chew gum and accent your voice like Elvis Presley and it will make you seem more American.

But they portrayed Godzilla like a real animal instead of a horror movie creature and Roland Emmerich did a good job. This played more like ID4 and a disaster movie than say something like the old, original Godzilla flicks. I actually like it better.

The baby dinos in Madison Square Garden ripped off Jurassic Park a bit, but you were expecting to see scenes like that and I think the film would be lacking if they didn't deliver them.

mabudonicus
12-12-2006, 11:50 AM
It got a bad rap cos it SUCKED ROCKS, Tycho :D

It's one of them films, like Hulk, where the built-in audience was somehow thought to be some kind of zombie that would buy anything with the word "godzilla" on it and be happy, so they focussed the film on the "non fans" and made the film as it was...

Seriously, I think it could have been the first time I gave the screen the finger, it was like someone wanted to make Godzilla only with the story from King Kong

Godzilla is NOT a "horror movie monster" per se, in the Japanese films (not the REAL silly ones from the late 60's early 70's, the wrestling ones) "he" was supposed to be the embodiment of the planet earth- serving as both the greatest scourge AND the greatest protector- NOT some kind of mutant lizard (tho technically he IS some kind of mutated dinosaur, depending on which continuity you want to follow, in some he's more of some kind of spontaneous manifestation of the power of nature or whatever)

One extremely important feature of the Japanese films is that they were FUN (and I mean more like real fun, not the aforementioned wrestling bits, which are hilarious but not what I mean)

I think it showed fundamental differences between the different cultures and their definition of "entertainment", which I will elaborate upon if this thread continues-
Point of fact- Godzilla "died" (kinda for real- not quite Gwen Stacy dead, more like Dr.Doom dead) in 1995- the Japanese planned on reviving the beast for the 50th anniversary in 2004/05, and when hollywood expressed an interest in Godzilla, they gave them the rights for a film, just to see what the american "take" would turn out like-
The film was SO poor that the Japanese got the license back and made Godzilla 2000 (millenium, I think is the Japanese name) to try and fix some of the damage that the US film caused to the legacy

In each subsequent film up to Final Wars, there's several pretty damn hilarious references (some veiled, some not so much) to the fiasco that was the US Godzilla film- the funniest one being in... GMK Giant Monsters All-Out Attack, I think, where Godzilla kinda "returns" (tho in these films, there's NO continuity, each one is sort of like the second time Godzilla EVER "happens", it's kinda confusing) and there's a conference of scientists trying to figure out if it IS the beast and if so what to do with him- an American guy is giving some kind of lecture about the beast from the 98 movie saying how the US defeated him, and these Japanese guys in the audience are talking about how "They made a mistake, the beast that attacked manhattan was definitely NOT Godzilla, but they insist on believing it for some reason"

Another good one is from millenium where the authorities are giving a speech on strategies and the firts line is something like "As we all know, if encountered, Godzilla will NEVER retreat, he will stand and fight"

And the funniest "joke" of them all in my mind, tho kinda referenced, is in the last Godzilla film "Final Wars", where the big guy fights like 12 monsters all over the planet- all are old faves except ONE, a monster named "Zilla" (also the only all CG creature in the film, and done REAL crappy just for kicks) which is a real shameful version of the US Godzilla (which my buddies and I called Godziller) and the beast gets killed by a dude with a rocket launcher, the only beast ever to be brought down by humans in the franchise to my recollection, it is a funny bit
:beard:Isobaws&

Tycho
12-12-2006, 01:52 PM
See, I do prefer the more realistic animal version done in 1998 to the campy monster of the classics.

It's funny, because with Transformers, I'm a strong proponent of the classics.

With 98's Zilla movie, I like the idea that the creature is a mutation our poor stewardship of the earth caused, rather than some lost dinosaur. That's better writing to me.

Rocketboy
12-12-2006, 02:06 PM
Godzilla sucked monkey ***.
The only thing I liked about it was when Godzilla was trashing the city.
The characters were all annoying. Each and everyone of them should have died. There was nothing realistic about any of the movie.

El Chuxter
12-12-2006, 02:13 PM
The only thing that could've saved this turd would've been if Matthew Broderick had tried to save Mahattan by riding down Fifth Avenue on a parade float, singing "Twist and Shout."

No, wait, that wouldn't have worked. There is no way to save this movie.

mabudonicus
12-12-2006, 02:47 PM
Tycho- you must have missed all the actual good Godzilla films and just watched Godzilla vs Megalon and Monster Island a whole bunch of times, cos the very IDEA of Godzilla was exactly as you described- in some of the more recent films, the monster plays both hero and villain- and one of THE most important things about the Japanese films, as Rocketboy pointed out, was the characters- many of the characters were set up to be examples of various things- there was a "human face" on the "poor stewardship" angle. They were NOT in the film to be heroes of any sort, in fact, I would have to say that 75% or more of the films had no "hero" character- surviving an assault by the beast was more than enough

And your "lost dinosaur" idea, I just don't follow- like I mentioned somwhere in that first essay, Godzilla was either a mutated dino of some type (always by something to do with nuclear radiation) or some kind of seemingly spontaneous manifestation of the power of the earth itself- the alien beasts were usually some kind of metaphor- Hedora the Smog Monster, for instance, was some species of single celled primitive animal which was awakened and altered by the mess of chemicals in the oceans, and Godzilla had to fight him, in the process causing a lot of damage to humans stuff, mainly necause tho Hedora posed a threat to life on earth, LIFE ON EARTH was also culpable and should not expect to get out unscathed

The US film had none of the mystical weight of the REAL films, and Godzilla died- which is the stupidest part in my mind- as you suggest a lesson about poor stewardship was hidden in there somehwheres BUT the fact that the film is supposedly setting up such a morality play is rendered idiotic when a bunch of "Made in the USA" Missiles fixes the problem- the solution is EXACTLY the same as the PROBLEM?? How F-ing stupid is that???

In the Japanese ones, one of the main problems was that you could NOT destroy Godzilla, NO hows- to destroy it would mean destroying the earth

And if that doesn't deflate ya a little, what message did YOU leave the film with?? To me, it comes out like Homer Simpsons line "It's gonna take a LOT of fireworks to fix this"

Oh and just to make sure, man, I LOVE Godzilla, absolutely none of what I post is to be read as any kind of insult or attack, I just love the whole shtick and HATE what hollywood did to Gojira, so thanks for giving me a reason to vent anew :D
:beard:Isobaws

Tycho
12-12-2006, 03:25 PM
Mabudon, a healthy debate is a great thing. I'm really enjoying people's well-thought out responses. One of your points was the best though:

"that the exact same thing that creates Godzilla (weapons of mass destruction) is used to kill her" (I'm going to say her because she laid eggs and acted like a mother to her offspring).

This exagerrates the similarity between nuclear weapons and conventionally armed missles on F-18's, but you are right that it's the same idea.

I'll pause to decide what the message might have been in deciding that (or if it was just convenient writing to help the characters get rid of Godzilla).

In the end they didn't get rid of Godzilla, as we see an egg hatch in Madison Square Garden that wasn't destroyed by the blast, and Godzilla is personified by the species, less so much any particular lizard.

The movie was left open to sequels that way, but they are unnecessary, as I doubt any realistically done sequels would be any different from this film.

It is contrived convenience that Godzilla is awakened or freed just when a monster from outer space lands here or smog creates a new threat. I realize that is the way the classic monster movies were told, but I guess I'm not in the mood for stories being played out that unrealisitc these days.

Rocketboy
12-12-2006, 04:19 PM
(I'm going to say her because she laid eggs and acted like a mother to her offspring).Not always. What did we learn from Jurassic Park?
"Nature finds a way."

El Chuxter
12-12-2006, 04:27 PM
Speaking of which, the scene in The Lost World with the Japanese tourists running from the T-Rex is the best American attempt at a Godzilla movie yet.

I do have to say that it was awfully sweet of Broderick to appear in this movie with his wife, especially since the flick was titled after her character.

Tycho
12-12-2006, 04:51 PM
Which one was his wife? (I get the joke, but was the actor's real-life wife in the movie?)

The blonde girlfriend character was nice! The other two women with the most lines were the boyfriend-hunting paleontologist, and Animal's wife. They weren't unattractive either - just not really attractive, too.

2-1B
12-12-2006, 06:19 PM
I ate many Gorditas in the summer of 1998 when this movie was out.

General_Grievous
12-12-2006, 07:07 PM
This movie was okay. I could stand it. Except for the whole Madison Square Garden scene with the baby godzillas.

Tycho
12-12-2006, 08:19 PM
This movie was okay. I could stand it. Except for the whole Madison Square Garden scene with the baby godzillas.

That was actually cool. The only unrealistic thing about it was that the characters should have been chomped!

A heroic sacrafice with them just getting the info to the military to bomb the site before they were all eaten up would have been another way to handle that.

They could have had Zatopolis and Audrey confess they still loved each other before the baby Zillas turned them into lunch, and then O'Neil and Hicks bomb the crap out of the whole place. Or for an audience-safer tragic end, have them die in the blastwave.

Meanwhile, Godzilla was knocked out by near hits from the nuclear submarines. But she returns straight through the blaster Madison Square Garden. I suppose she formed an underground passageway, but then she chases a taxi cab through downtown Manhattan Island? Maybe.

It does start to lose creditability along the Madison Square Garden route though. BTW: what is that place for? Basketball? Boxing sometimes, right? Hockey? Public execution by dinosaur?

JimJamBonds
12-12-2006, 11:07 PM
I prefer Gammora.

Slicker
12-12-2006, 11:15 PM
Was this the lame one with all of the eggs in Madison Square Garden?

Tycho
12-13-2006, 02:24 AM
It wasn't lame but there were a ton of eggs in Madison Square Garden. :mad:

DarkArtist
12-13-2006, 07:52 AM
I have to say that I like the movie too. I actually saw it at a midnight showing when it came out back in '98 and thought it was entertaining and funny. True it did have some nods to JP but all in all not a bad flick. I think I picked it up on DVD for $5 in the Walmart bins.

actually was thinking of watching this movie over the weekend perhaps.

Loved the Madison Square Garden scene with the gumballs tripping up the babies, and the elevator scene with Brodrick.

Tycho
12-13-2006, 10:53 AM
Hehe. "Sorry guys. Wrong floor.":Par:

darthvyn
12-13-2006, 10:54 AM
It does start to lose creditability along the Madison Square Garden route though. BTW: what is that place for? Basketball? Boxing sometimes, right? Hockey? Public execution by dinosaur?

knicks basketball, rangers hockey, concerts, the circus...

www.thegarden.com

LTBasker
12-13-2006, 12:48 PM
It's a fun movie to watch now and then due to the comedy, but beyond that it was a pretty stupid movie.

First of all was the whole Godzilla thing, I like the idea of a serious Godzilla movie- but this wasn't it. They should do a Lucas treatment to it, go back and redub over anyone saying Godzilla and also change the title.

Second of all, the movements and such of the creatures were quite boring. It was just rehashed Jurassic Park creatures with new looks.

I truly can't see how someone could call this realistic, the only realistic element seemed to be what it looked like when buildings fell.

El Chuxter
12-21-2006, 07:57 PM
I think it's pretty indicative of the quality of this movie that the studio asked Rage Against the Machine to contribute a song to the soundtrack, and they recorded "No Shelter" for the occasion. A song about how corrupt and evil the Hollywood machine is, and actually includes the lyrics: "Godzilla's pure m*****f***ing filler / Keep your eyes off the real killer."

It'd be like Queen recording "Bicycle Race" (with the simple but direct line, "Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars") for the soundtrack to ESB.

:rolleyes:

Rocketboy
12-21-2006, 08:12 PM
Stone Temple Pilots were reportedly offered over half a million to record one song for the soundtrack. They declined.
If they had accepted, they would have been ona cd with Puff Daddy (I think that was it's name at the time).

Smart move.