PDA

View Full Version : Big vehicles flying off the shelves

seanmcfripp
12-12-2006, 12:21 PM
I've been to three Targets along 270 in MD in the last week, and every one of them has sold out of Imperial Shuttles. AT-ATs have gone missing at Toys R Us, and X-Wings and TIE fighters have mysteriously disappeared as well. As collectors, I think we all had the shuttle and AT-AT pegged as clearance fodder, so I have to assume that parents are snapping these things up. What gives?

kool-aid killer
12-12-2006, 12:29 PM
Its Christmas time. Like you said, maybe buying higher priced ships isnt so much of a big deal to parents/adults at this time of year. Santas watching.

Luuuuuuke
12-12-2006, 12:30 PM
I still see plenty of X-Wings here in the eastside/San Gabriel Valley area of L.A. And there's been a small resurgence in Tie Fighters. Not many, but a half dozen or so at a few TRUs.

The AT-AT has dissapeared. Haven't seen that in a while, but haven't really paid attention as I never wanted this. With the Shuttle it's a little hard to tell if they're really out of stock, or just not being put out. Their big and they take a hell of a lot of shelf space. I've seen a dozen at one Target a few days ago, and one or two at another. But I have a feeling there just weren't many of these produced. They're problematic because of their size.

seanmcfripp
12-12-2006, 12:46 PM
Run the Shuttle DCPI through the customer price checker, and it'll tell you they're out of stock (at least in the stores I've been to). I just find it odd that everyone initially reported their Target stores having dozens of these things, only for them to disappear over the course of about 2 weeks. I've never seen larger ticket items for toy lines move like that, even during the holiday seasons. I swear that Target commercial which featured the shuttle must have something to do with it.

JON9000
12-12-2006, 01:09 PM
This is excellent news for everyone. My TRU has been out of the AT-AT for some time. I think there has been some pent up demand for the AT-AT and quantities were probably much better controlled this time around. The shuttle is just an awesome deal any way you cut it. The demand for vehicles is there... I sold my POTF2 Falcon for $160 bucks recently, and my AT-ST ending to day will probably see $70!

Heck, after the buy one get one half off, $100 lego sets are cleaned out as well!

With this sort of success, I think Hasbro will be encouraged to be bolder in the future!!

dindae
12-12-2006, 01:25 PM
I think that these are two vehicle that are at a reasonable price with two pack in figures. (the shuttle being a much better bargain) I think it helps that ROTS really brought in a lot of people that haven't left. Parents are more likely to shell out that kind of cash for something that their child has had continued intrest in.

pbarnard
12-12-2006, 03:38 PM
Its Christmas time. Like you said, maybe buying higher priced ships isnt so much of a big deal to parents/adults at this time of year. Santas watching.

Exactly. Why did the TRU vehicles sit for the past few months than at most locations? If the conclusion that there is the demand is true as others are proposing, than they should've been flying off the shelves than as well.

Luuuuuuke
12-12-2006, 04:30 PM
I agree with everything said so far. But I also thought of this. If you go to the websites of a lot of online retailers, from Toywiz to BBTS, they're buying these up to. So they're being bought up from different directions. Plus, being exclusives, their numbers probably aren't too high to begin with.

Having said that, BBTS had the Shuttle for $99, and it's sold out. What does that say? I don't even want to know what Toywiz sold it for.

pegger
12-12-2006, 05:41 PM
About a month ago my TRU got in something like 30 AT-ATs. (after selling out their original consignment). They are all gone again.

tagmac
12-12-2006, 06:10 PM
I've noticed the same thing. My g/f asked me what I wanted for Christmas last week, and I really couldn't think of anything until yesterday I decided on the TIE Fighter. Didn't want to spend the money myself, but since there wasn't anything else I wanted (that I hadn't already bought myself), I figured it would look good posed with my scale X-Wing. Wouldn't you know it, I went into TRU just to see if they were even available and they had nothing - not even in the gift section they set up for bulk items in the front of the store. In fact, the only things they did have were two Dagobah X-Wings. the TIEs and the AT-ATs were long gone.

While I assumed parents were buying these, I'm also suspicious that they were on sale on Black Friday (if someone could confirm this), and scaplers bought up these exclusives so they could promote them as being "extremely rare" on ebay and in comic shops to justify charging ridiculous prices to gain even more profit than they would have buying them at the original price.

2-1B
12-12-2006, 06:20 PM
These things are disappearing like The Expos !

Bosskman
12-12-2006, 06:35 PM
My TRU had 3 big shipments of Endor AT-ATs and they all vanished after a few weeks.

JediTricks
12-12-2006, 08:07 PM
I think Hasbro should look at this and release 1 big Star Wars ship per year, in mid-November so they have built-in sales. If you can sell out garbage like the $90 TRU AT-AT because of the time of year, you can sell ANYTHING. (Then again, my TRUs still have the X-wings and a few TIEs, so maybe it has to really BE a big ship.)

jjreason
12-12-2006, 08:14 PM
One man's garbage is another man's rehashed/repainted/re-released treasure, JT. :p

TheDarthVader
12-12-2006, 11:42 PM
I agree. My target is now almost sold out of shuttles.

Darth Cruel
12-13-2006, 06:50 AM
I couldn't get on the shuttle bandwagon. The shuttle is still tooled for the vintage figures so my figures will not fit on the foot pegs. I will eventually pick it up on eBay or something during a slow time when there is nothing hitting the shelves and I am desparate to add something...ANYTHING...to my collection.

The endor AT-AT would have been nice to get, but I am gambling on it being cheaper and easy to get in a few months. 90.00 is ridiculous despite the fact that I can pretty easily afford it. I could just never look at it and say..."$90.00...good enough price!".

DarkArtist
12-13-2006, 07:40 AM
I passed on the AT-AT, as I have the POTF and Vintage ones, picked up the X-Wing over Thanksgiving Weekend, and have yet to see another TIE Fighter since Halloween. This is the second time that I have yet to be able to grab one of these. and if the rumor is true about the ships being taken off the shelves for 2007, then it looks like it's either hoping to get one for Christmas, finding one cheap in TRU on Clearence or even Target for the blue version or the dreaded EBAY. unless of course someone wants to sell one here for a decent price.

jedi master sal
12-13-2006, 07:43 AM
I think Hasbro should look at this and release 1 big Star Wars ship per year, in mid-November so they have built-in sales. If you can sell out garbage like the $90 TRU AT-AT because of the time of year, you can sell ANYTHING. (Then again, my TRUs still have the X-wings and a few TIEs, so maybe it has to really BE a big ship.)

Hmmm, hello AT-TE and Sail Barge....JT, perhaps I should forward this threads comments along to Hasbro??

It's great that these ships are selling. Means room for more and new stuff.

As to why they weren't selling before, I'll offer this reasonable explanation. It's quite possible kids WERE asking for these and parents were waiting for Christmas, and possibly sales on these ships, as well to see if they're kids REALLY did have an interest in these instead of just a passing fancy.

What I think we are seeing here is a resurgence of kids getting into SW. THere's a whole new crop of people (kids) who are "collecting." Much like us old timers did back in the day. It's actually quit refreshing. (Even if a tad frustrating not finding new waves of figs.) Of course this could all just be the Christmas rush, which makes sense too, but it bodes well for the line and retailers as well. They'll make a hug chunk of their sales in the last two months of the year. So then it leaves the rest of the year up to us collectors (and new kid collectors) to carry it on through to the next holiday season. For that I think we collectors have done the line justice, for the most part.

seanmcfripp
12-13-2006, 08:32 AM
These things are disappearing like The Expos !

Rumor has it Frank Robinson is toy scalping to pay the bills. Times are tough for ol' Frobby.

Go Nats!

BTW, The Boss wants his signature back.

JediTricks
12-13-2006, 03:46 PM
One man's garbage is another man's rehashed/repainted/re-released treasure, JT. :pHey, don't blame me for you being a sucker. ;) The AT-AT should have been completely rebooted years ago, that mold is ok for its day but could be done a lot better now.

Hmmm, hello AT-TE and Sail Barge....JT, perhaps I should forward this threads comments along to Hasbro??If you have a viable address to do so, sure. I could also toss the notion into Q&A but I think we all know what their response will be unfortunately.

As to why they weren't selling before, I'll offer this reasonable explanation. It's quite possible kids WERE asking for these and parents were waiting for Christmas, and possibly sales on these ships, as well to see if they're kids REALLY did have an interest in these instead of just a passing fancy.Another good reason to release them right before xmas, no time for kids to think about whether or not they REALLY want it. With so many toy choices these days, kids are going to go in bulk over 1 large item when they really think about it, xmas presents like big Star Wars vehicles are best given when the kid doesn't have to make that choice between months of little toys or not.

2-1B
12-13-2006, 07:33 PM
BTW, The Boss wants his signature back.

He can't have it. :grin:
Unless he trades me some pipes from "Rendezvous." :)

Bosskman
12-14-2006, 05:09 AM
The Endor AT-AT is good. I have 1 (because, you only see one in ROTJ). I'd like a new mold, but I'd rather have the vintage re-tools than no AT-ATs.

abell748
12-14-2006, 02:08 PM
At my local Targets and TRU, the big ships did not last long at all. The shuttle seems to have sold through fast. I got mine the day before the "release" date and people asked me about it as I carried it away from the stock room door (an employee was very nice, ran the DCPI, and got me one out of the back, good job for once Target!). TRU had like 30 X-Wings, 10 Gunships, 8 TIES, and 10 AT-ATs at the end of October. I grabbed the gunship then. I went back about 10 days later to get the AT-AT, TIE, and X-Wing and all that was left was 3 X-Wings (so I bought it). It was around Veterans Day when I went back and TRU was packed like it was Black Friday! If these ships can be sold this time of year at this price point, then bring them on! There was plenty of supply for a few weeks and then they sold through without going on clearance, that is a great sign for getting bigger ships! Plus if it closer to Christmas then I can get my wife to pick it up for me as a present.

JON9000
12-14-2006, 02:32 PM
I disagree with most people on the status of the "old" molds. I have no problem with the AT-AT, Shuttle, and even Millenium Falcon staying as they are. I think all of them are pretty amazing when you consider the amount of play value they can provide given their size. The fact that old molds can still sell like they do is a testament to their strength.

Honestly, part of the reason I bought vehicles in 95-98 is that they used the old molds. It increased the senitmental retro-value for me!

JediTricks
12-15-2006, 08:12 PM
I disagree with most people on the status of the "old" molds. I have no problem with the AT-AT, Shuttle, and even Millenium Falcon staying as they are. I think all of them are pretty amazing when you consider the amount of play value they can provide given their size. The fact that old molds can still sell like they do is a testament to their strength.I disagree, I think what it shows is how desparate buyers are for Star Wars vehicles.

The Falcon looks good from the outside but inside it's an embarassment, virtually no detail whatsoever and the new details shoehorned into the cockpit are awful.

The AT-AT has a bunko cockpit and overall poor use of interior space, open windows on the side with no window on the front, a slew of easily-lost parts, nothing going on in either interior with discussing, a neck gimmick which interferes with display, a lack of up-close exterior details, it's proportions are off all over, it's never got an entirely satisfactory paint job, and it suffers wobbly, undersized legs. It was good for its day but 11 years after the POTF2 reissue it has less relevance in collecting.

Honestly, part of the reason I bought vehicles in 95-98 is that they used the old molds. It increased the senitmental retro-value for me!One of the things I stayed away from in the POTF2 line was reissued molds, the X-wing, TIE Fighter, Falcon, AT-ST, Landspeeder, and Slave I all were refused by me and most of the collectors in LA judging from how many of each went on clearance back in their day. Of the vintage POTF2 items, I bought just the Speederbike and AT-AT when they came out, the AT-ST I bought on the second reissue when it at least had a nice box, and Slave 1 and the Landspeeder I bought on clearance. Retro value is fine for a niche market, but it's not something that the line should have to carry, some of those designs were tired even for their day and Hasbro's used them up and spent more refurbishing the tooling than they really deserve - we suffered these molds once in the modern line, after a while it's time to let them go.

Not that the vintage molds are all useless, the A-wing really only needs a slight tweaking to how the cockpit closes (and adding the electronic light-up engines back in would be nice); the B-wing is good; the Y-wing is alright but does need the landing gear problem fixed and must have a droid slot next time (even though Hasbro's shot that down - but really, how hard is it to cut a hole in there?!?); the Snowspeeder's just been improved and now only needs better holding of the cannons (the problem I think stems from them being modified for alternate use the last time around), a superior cockpit hatch, a sliding seat inside to better use the space, and better interiors... hmm, maybe the Snowspeeder needs to go. Same thing with the Skiff, it's good but doesn't fit figures that well and has wobbly legs, it could be reissued again but it could do with enough fixes to warrant a new mold as well.

Veers
12-17-2006, 10:38 AM
I seen those Shuttles at old Target stores (not super targets). All the other popular Super Target locations have sold out. I was hoping to grab another one to open when they go on clearance. I hope that regular Target location does not run out of these when they go on clearance.

Old Fossil
12-17-2006, 10:58 AM
I hope NO shuttles are clearanced. I understand wanting to get one at a better price, but honestly, $60 for this large ship is almost a steal. The more shuttles go on clearance, the less chance that we will ever see them at retail again, or at least for a long while.

Veers
12-17-2006, 08:23 PM
I hope NO shuttles are clearanced. I understand wanting to get one at a better price, but honestly, $60 for this large ship is almost a steal. The more shuttles go on clearance, the less chance that we will ever see them at retail again, or at least for a long while.

$59 is a good deal. I got two of them. I remember the Fao Schwartz version was $99 and it did not come with no figures. I already picked up 2 of these This version has two figs so it a good price but if it goes on clearance I would buy more.

JON9000
12-19-2006, 06:19 PM
Slave I

While the scale is off, I really enjoy SLAVE I. I really cannot think of any way to improve it that would justify doubling its price, which a new mold might require. Of all of the POTF 2 vehicles, I thought this one had the most improved look with the supercool paint work!

the Snowspeeder.

This vehicle is one in which I actually prefer the vintage to the modern because of the nicely scaled tow gun and cable. If a new one were to be made, I would keep the current mold and have a cable with a little magnet on the end to attach to an exposed screw on the leg of the AT-AT. Man, that'd be awesome.

JediTricks
12-19-2006, 07:09 PM
I really cannot think of any way to improve it that would justify doubling its price, which a new mold might require.And yet they were able to offer an entirely new mold for the same price, if it had been 25% bigger they could have sold it at $40 instead of $30 and had a better vehicle too with a real interior and more movie-accurate gimmicks (that globe-dropping gimmick isn't much like the movie and takes up a ton of space; the spinning display for the homing device is silly and takes up more space than it deserves, especially since it didn't end up getting shot off).

Anyway, there's definitely room for improvement and new molds all around.

JON9000
12-21-2006, 10:28 AM
Out of all the ones we've mentioned, we've failed to address the mold which I think truly needs an update more than any other: the SANDCRAWLER. I can live with every other mold we have. The one I just can't stand however, is the good ol' sandy. I wouldn't mind if the innards were stackable trays and the top of it had a flip up handle, making it double as an action figure case. I just want something about twice as big!

jedi master sal
12-21-2006, 12:11 PM
Out of all the ones we've mentioned, we've failed to address the mold which I think truly needs an update more than any other: the SANDCRAWLER. I can live with every other mold we have. The one I just can't stand however, is the good ol' sandy. I wouldn't mind if the innards were stackable trays and the top of it had a flip up handle, making it double as an action figure case. I just want something about twice as big!

Agreed. This thing shoudl be huge. A figure case is a good idea for it. I suggested a rolling toy chest, but I can see how that would be too big possibly. So yes, a figure case is a great alternative. So long as they are removeable so that we can determine how we want the insides to look for ourselves. Heck the trays can act as floors within the Sandcrawler. Maybe have the facing side of the tray be a grated floor when inserted into the Sandcrawler?

No matter how it's done, a new mold screams to be made.

JEDIpartner
12-21-2006, 12:24 PM
The Targhetto out by my morning gym is still sitting on tons of Shuttles.

As far as the sandcrawler goes... I never got that one because I really couldn't deal with the shrimpy size of it. No, I don't expect it to be "in scale" but, really, it should be at least as long as the Falcon and twice as tall as it is on its landing struts. Heck, they could even incorporate elements of a new droid factory set for the innards!

El Chuxter
12-21-2006, 12:34 PM
We also have been able to see the inside of the Sandcrawler since the original mold was produced decades ago, in EU sources and in AOTC.

seanmcfripp
12-21-2006, 04:56 PM
The Targhetto...

lol lol lol lol lol

Oh man, Targhetto...gotta start using that one. Too funny.

JediTricks
12-22-2006, 03:57 PM
Out of all the ones we've mentioned, we've failed to address the mold which I think truly needs an update more than any other: the SANDCRAWLER. I can live with every other mold we have. The one I just can't stand however, is the good ol' sandy. I wouldn't mind if the innards were stackable trays and the top of it had a flip up handle, making it double as an action figure case. I just want something about twice as big!They definitely dropped the ball with this one, but I really don't see them releasing an updated one any time soon, and a request for one is WAAAAAY down near the bottom of my list. Here's the thing:

they just did one, no matter how unsatisfactory it was, that is going to come into play
The vehicle is BARELY featured in the saga, has no action scenes, nothing major happens there, and only 2 major characters ever are riding inside. So when we're still suffering a lousy Millennium Falcon and AT-AT, no Jabba's Sail Barge or AT-TE, no Gungan Bongo Sub, even the Naboo Royal Cruiser, Yacht, and Star Skiff, to do a retread the Sandcrawler first seems a bit like cutting ahead in line.

TheDarthVader
12-22-2006, 04:16 PM
I agree with JT. I don't even care about owning a sandcrawler. I would rather have the other vehicles mentioned, (and let me add) a re-release of the tie interceptor, b-wing, y-wing, etc.

JON9000
12-27-2006, 10:01 AM
I think the main problem with the Sandcrawler is that it isn't an "action oriented" vehicle... no battles or weapons or whatever it is that makes vehicles fun for kids to play with. A Bantha is more "fun".

I don't really think the AT-TE featured much more, or even the AT-AT, really, and several of the vehicles you guys just mentioned were actually featured less. As for the b-wing and tie interceptor, if you can get it for retail cost on ebay, I really don't see a great need for a reissue.

I would love a sail barge as much as the next guy, but I worry that it would be a shrunken disappointment like the Sandcrawler.

The thing the sandcrawler has going for it is the sale of the droids scene... we are getting more and more droids from that part, and I have all the other characters involved along with about 10 jawas. I just want a nice big sandy to put behind them!!

DarkArtist
12-27-2006, 12:05 PM
I missed out on the sandcrawler and passed on the Endor AT-AT as I already have the both the POTF and Vintage versions. Would love to see the Sandcrawler re-released again.

as far as an AT-TE, all I can say is YES ! YES ! YES ! would love to see Hasbro give us an AT-TE.

as far as Jabba's Sailbarge, again YES ! after all if Zizzle can make a decent priced Black Pearl, surely Hasbro can give us a Sailbarge and AT-TE, along with a Clone Turbo Tank. The problem is they don't want to.

JediTricks
12-29-2006, 03:08 AM
I don't really think the AT-TE featured much more, or even the AT-AT, really, and several of the vehicles you guys just mentioned were actually featured less. The AT-TE features in only a few seconds of film throughout the entire saga, I'll bet the AT-AT has 30 times as much screentime easy.

I would love a sail barge as much as the next guy, but I worry that it would be a shrunken disappointment like the Sandcrawler. Part of the reason the Sandcrawler was a shrunken disappointment was because Hasbro felt they HAD to use Kenner's existing tooling even though that was for an R/C toy. With the Sail Barge, there's no such concerns.

I got the Zizzle POTC Black Pearl for xmas, it was impressive out of the box. When I next get to mess with it, I'm going to put Jabba in there and set up some figures and see how the scale fits it. Maybe I'll just bypass Hasbro's foolish blunder and fudge it with the Black Pearl. :p

Phantom-like Menace
12-30-2006, 12:04 AM
Well, I hope the sales of the AT-AT at TRU will go a ways toward convincing Hasbro that large vehicles are viable sellers. It would be nice to get maybe a different large-scale vehicle for the holidays every year. As has been mentioned, they're large ticket items that parents would be more likely to get for Christmas, and it would be nice if Hasbro were to make a push for them throughout the year--start maybe right at the beginning of the second quarter or so and try to build interest. Sure the advertisement budget for Hasbro apparently doesn't exist, but even a blurb on the back of the packaging for the figures could get a person excited for some of these items.

I'm a little curious about the success of the shuttle, though. Yes, it sold well here and elsewhere, but its price was much lower than I would expect it to be, and I'm not just comparing it to the FAO Schwartz price. That price was so agreeable I almost got a second one, despite the fact I have no room and no need for another. I know most people think Hasbro can make plenty of money selling full scale Death Star Playsets for $1.75, but sixty dollars seems, frankly, kind of low, especially for an exclusive. I'm actually surprised they lasted as long as they did at so low a price.

JediTricks
12-30-2006, 11:50 PM
The only thing that seems worth over $60 about the shuttle IMO is the box it had to ship in, that's a big box, it's costly on its own and takes up expensive real-estate on store shelves - the toy itself is very nifty but I'd say even at its advanced size $60 is fair for it. I suspect Hasbro and Target whipped up this run based on leftover unsold units Hasbro had from the FAO and KB run, Target was willing to take a SMALL limited risk at lower profit to have an exciting exclusive and everybody got something good out of it. In the future, I think 3 things should happen for large-box vehicles: A) they should be in boxes as small as possible, the Dagobah X-wing box is ridiculously large when you consider how small the thing could be, and the AT-AT could have been displayed as a window diorama if they had gone for a longer box; B) prices should as low as possible to offer the bestest toy possible; and C) the store should have a display model, I think seeing that massive Imperial Shuttle in the store would have made more sales right before xmas.