PDA

View Full Version : IG-88 was created after the Clone Wars

Tycho
12-13-2006, 02:40 AM
I'm re-reading post-Empire Declaration Star Wars literature now, using the timeline over at TheForce.Net.

IG-88's story was the first up after things like The Last of the Jedi series.

He was one of 4 droids, along with IG-72 created at Holowan Laboratories. When he gained unexpected sentience, his creators tried to pull the plug and he slaughtered 15 scientists. Next he replicated his programming into the other 3 IG-88 models, and last but not least activated IG-72. As a strike team, they then annihilated 8 more guards.

The Holowan Lab project was being funded with skimmed credits off of Imperial Military Contracts by a supervisor intent on impressing Darth Vader and Palpatine. There is no mention yet where Holowan Labs were located, though the previous IG droids were shown on Muunlist. However, humans had been operating or taken over Holowan Labs. Muunlist was a Separatist world before it was conquered during the Clone Wars of course (see the cartoon).

The IG series (standing for Inter-Galactic) was a banking clan model and the long tubular heads of IG droids loosely resembled the Muunilissi such as San Hill (whereas we might assume that protocal droids like C-3PO were built by human manufacturers somewhere, and Battle Droids loosely resemble Bactoid Armor's Geonosians).

This is all interesting to me because I'd assumed that the Separatists had created the IG-88 series, but they are not remnants from the Clone Wars afterall. They are just based off droid models created for the CIS during the Clone Wars.

Rogue II
12-13-2006, 09:57 AM
Isn't that from that lame Tales of the Bounty Hunters where IG-88 ends up as the core of the second Death Star? There is some great EU there:rolleyes:

Tycho
12-13-2006, 10:50 AM
Isn't that from that lame Tales of the Bounty Hunters where IG-88 ends up as the core of the second Death Star? There is some great EU there:rolleyes:

Exactly, but I'm reading according to TFN's timeline, which records only chapters 1-5 of that story take place at this early juncture.

However, I think the threat that IG-88 poses is cool and so far logical. You think how this line of storytelling worked for The Terminator and how it's one possibility for the origins of the Transformers (it's hard for us to conceive of non-biological life evolving on its own - but rather having some biological start - then replacing its creating species, as the machines did in Terminator lore.)

If a Death Star existed during such circumstances, it would also represent a quite logical target for a machine conquest. With the Death Star, the IG-88 line could wipe out biological planets and further build more droids to create even more Death Stars as their new home planets, thus designing their own perfect worlds.

I think a lot about Transformers these days, and it's one possibility for how Cybertron could come to be - especially seeing how that storyline is wide open to being re-written these days.

2-1B
12-13-2006, 07:47 PM
This is why I love the EU. :rolleyes:

JimJamBonds
12-14-2006, 11:58 PM
This is why I love the EU. :rolleyes:

Me too, and by "love" I mean "don't bother reading that carp."

Bel-Cam Jos
12-15-2006, 09:07 PM
Check out the New Essential Guide to Droids. It tries to tie up any loose ends in the films of EU since the previous guide was written. I believe there was some entry talking about the Phlut droid series and its different name (don't know what that name is, sorry).