PDA

View Full Version : Peter Boyle dead at 71!

darthvyn
12-13-2006, 11:26 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/TV/12/13/boyle.obit.ap/index.html

Peter Boyle, the actor known for playing everything from a tap-dancing monster in "Young Frankenstein" to the curmudgeonly father in the long-running TV sitcom "Everybody Loves Raymond," has died. He was 71.

Boyle died Tuesday evening at New York Presbyterian Hospital. He had been suffering from multiple myeloma and heart disease, said his publicist, Jennifer Plante.

wow... i always loved his version of frankenstein's monster... and his character was almost the only thing i found funny on "everybody loves raymond"... he also had a great episode of "the x-files" where he played a psychic who could only predict how you were going to die, which is a bit weird to bring up i guess, but it was a really awesome episode.

El Chuxter
12-13-2006, 11:44 AM
Oh, crap.

That is some sad news indeed.

"Why don't you go where fashion sits?"
"Puuuuudnondaitz!!"

:cry:

Rocketboy
12-13-2006, 11:59 AM
I think you meant "Holy Crap!"

Slicker
12-13-2006, 12:02 PM
Man, this is definitely sad.

I, too, love him on Everybody Loves Raymond and I also loved his part in Monsters Ball.

Don't worry, Vyn. I remember that episode of X-Files too and it was a good one.:thumbsup:

El Chuxter
12-13-2006, 12:05 PM
This is still a shock, all these minutes later. Of all the actors from Mel Brooks movies, I expected him to outlive Joan Rivers, Leslie Nielson, Cloris Leachman, and Mel himself.

Only one worthy cast member of Raymond survives. Brad Garrett may suck in most things, but he's done some cool voice-over work (notably Lobo in the DC animated universe).

I think I'll have to watch Young Frankenstein a few times tonight.

Ji'dai
12-13-2006, 02:23 PM
I remember him best from The Shadow with Alec Baldwin. He played a cabbie who ferried his boss around town to fight the bad guys. That movie kinda grew on me after awhile and I enjoy it more now than when I first saw it.

He was pretty good as Ray Romano's curmudgeonly father, though I wasn't a regular viewer of that show. I remember his stint on X-Files - where else would I'd have learned what autoerotic asphyxiation was? I saw Young Frankenstein years ago, but only recently saw it again on cable and immediately recognized Boyle as the monster.

darthvyn
12-13-2006, 02:49 PM
I remember him best from The Shadow with Alec Baldwin. He played a cabbie who ferried his boss around town to fight the bad guys. That movie kinda grew on me after awhile and I enjoy it more now than when I first saw it.

oh, yeah! how could i forget that? i just watched it like, a week ago...

Kidhuman
12-13-2006, 05:38 PM
Sad news indeed. Love Young Frankenstein and agreed Vyn, he was the only funny thing on Raymond. HE was also in that movie with Michael KEaton about the crazy people going out on the town, cant remember the name, but damn funny.

El Chuxter
12-13-2006, 05:45 PM
HE was also in that movie with Michael KEaton about the crazy people going out on the town, cant remember the name, but damn funny.

The Dream Team?

2-1B
12-13-2006, 07:36 PM
Everybody Loves Raymond was a horrible show but Young Frankenstein was the bee's knees.

71's not too bad of a run. :(

UKWildcat
12-13-2006, 09:01 PM
Everybody Loves Raymond was a horrible show but Young Frankenstein was the bee's knees.

I couldn't agree more. I hated Everybody Loves Raymond but out of the few shows I saw, Boyle was the only brightspot. May he R.I.P. :sad:

JetsAndHeels
12-13-2006, 09:30 PM
His best role was crime boss Bill Church on Lois and Clark.
RIP Mr. Church..Metropolis won't be the same without you.

Kidhuman
12-13-2006, 10:11 PM
YEs Chux, the Dream team, funny friggin movie.

Mad Slanted Powers
12-14-2006, 01:02 AM
Holy crap indeed. That was a great episode of X-Files that he was in, and Raymond was a decent show. I didn't watch it much in the later years, but it was usually pretty funny, and he was a big part of that.

Now, quit acting like a bunch of Nancy-boys and pull yourself together! :D

UKWildcat
12-14-2006, 09:27 AM
That was a great episode of X-Files that he was in

Good call MSP! That was a great episode indeed. One of the best actually.

JEDIpartner
12-14-2006, 12:13 PM
I saw this yesterday and immediately thought, "HOLY CRAP!!!"

Mad Slanted Powers
12-14-2006, 06:22 PM
"Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose" was the season 3 episode. He won an an Emmy for it.

JEDIpartner
12-15-2006, 07:45 AM
Yes, 'twas a great episode. I watched it again last night.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
12-16-2006, 02:16 PM
Man, he looked much older than 71 years old.

And "Everybody Loves Raymond" was a great show, on account of him and Brad Garrett. His shtick with Doris Roberts made the show. I am not a big sitcom fan, but this was the only show I would watch on a regular basis during the early part of this decade.

He was also a close friend to John Lennon as Lennon was the best man at Boyle's wedding.

He will be missed.