PDA

View Full Version : Coincidence? Fate? or...Sneaky Hasbro?

LTBasker
12-16-2006, 11:36 AM
I've been adding up all the numbers confirmed for the carded figures including paint variants (Clones, Pit Droids and Imperial Officers in Saga Legends) and we've got the confirmed 60 for the basic line. Then we've got a confirmed 28 for the Saga legends, which is pushed up to 36 with the extra 3 Clone officer variants, 3 extra pit droid variants and 2 extra Imperial officer variants.

I noticed it totalled 96 and it rang a bell in my head, then I remembered 96 is also the number of individual characters released in the vintage line (if you count Yakface and exclude the Droids and Ewoks lines).

Quite interesting. Of course, this could be made moot if Hasbro does any running changes in the main line.

Darth Cruel
12-16-2006, 12:45 PM
An interesting observation. But you have too many qualifiers for it to be anything intentional.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-16-2006, 12:47 PM
Interesting theory, but don't forget about the extra Battle Droid repaints as well, which makes it more around 99 or 100 (I forget how many different ones they're doing).

LTBasker
12-16-2006, 01:44 PM
Ooh, yep overlooked that. Looks like they're doing at least 3 different ones or more so that's a bust, could go out on a limb and say they're not really different as they're just different battle damages while the rest are different characters but that's going a bit far. It's not clear wether they're going to have TPM and AOTC colorschemes in one pack sharing similar battle damage or if each pack will have a movie-specific scheme with different battle damages. :crazed:

Oh well, that was fun while it lasted. :p

Tycho
12-16-2006, 05:17 PM
I always used 102 as the final number for the vintage figures.

102 - Jabba - as he was a character, not just a beast
101 - Salactious Crumb - maybe all we ever get are statues, but one day...
100 - Max Rebo - not carded, but a figure
99 - Sy Snootles - ""
98 - Droopy Mc Cool - ""
97 - Blue SnaggleToothe - a major variation so much that it's really like a diff. character

The rest count out according to the 96 figures Basker points out. However, cardbacks usually only showed 1 version each of R2D2 and C-3PO, and they might've eliminated 2 others, so they read: "Collect all 92 (or 94)." I forgot which.

These days, it's confusing as heck to figure out what to count! So collect all 1,000 or whatever amount really could be justified if you nitpicked the differences in Millennium Minted Coin figures, etc.

DarkArtist
12-19-2006, 09:48 PM
don't forget about the various variations like brown vest Luke Jedi, or brown pants Han Solo Endor, different trooper figures. I mean true they are pretty much the same figure with different paint apps but still they can be viewed as seperate figures all together.

Tycho
12-19-2006, 10:09 PM
I don't count those, because like Smiling Lando, they're essentially the same thing.

Blue SnaggleToothe is a lot of parts different from the Red One, though. Other than that, we're talking about all-different sculpts and 102 of them.

tagmac
12-21-2006, 09:43 AM
What about Luke w/ telescoping lightsaber? That's be a little more than just a paint variation.

Tycho
12-21-2006, 12:34 PM
Luke wasn't intended to be a variation either. There was just a Tatooine Luke figure. The initial telescoping saber either cost pennies more than Kenner wanted to spend, or else it was breaking off too much - thus they altered the product.

It's a true variation. But you should see a world of difference between two entirely different bodies, arms, and legs with red and blue Snaggletoothes, or R2D2 with or without features, and C-3PO that you can take apart, and one that you can't.

I mean Luke Jedi was originally packaged with a blue lightsaber instead of a green one. Kenner made the correction a running change. Carded, it's a true variation also, but it's an accessory change, not some kind of alteration like giving Luke more articulation.

But remember, I'm not a collector. I'm a diorama builder, and with the modern figures at that. Anybody else can collect as they see fit (or build dioramas as they see fit) and I focus on the modern stuff, having sold most of my vintage collection save for pieces I really need and extra ships and playsets I picked up to add to dioramas since Hasbro cannot make good playsets especially.