PDA

View Full Version : It's the Pacers/Pistons Brawl All Over Again!!

JetsAndHeels
12-16-2006, 10:00 PM
Well, it has happened again.

Courtesy of ESPN

Nuggets-Knicks brawl ends with 10 players ejected
Associated Press

NEW YORK -- Ten players, including NBA scoring leader Carmelo Anthony, were ejected for fighting during a wild brawl near the end of Saturday night's game between the Denver Nuggets and New York Knicks.
All 10 players on the court at the time were tossed for their involvement in the ugly incident that spread across the court and spilled into the crowd at Madison Square Garden.
Anthony scored 34 points before the melee took place with about 1:15 left in the Nuggets' 123-100 victory over the Knicks.
The fight started after Knicks reserve Mardy Collins flagrantly fouled Denver's J.R. Smith. With punches being thrown by several players, the hitting and grabbing continued for several minutes before coaches and security ran onto the court and finally restored order.
Anthony was involved in a fight with the Knicks' Nate Robinson, who jumped into to jaw at Smith after the foul. Both Smith and Robinson ended up flying into the stands in the NBA's ugliest scene since the brawl between Pacers players and Detroit fans in 2004.
With each team forced to put five new players on the floor, Denver finished up the win and ended a two-game losing streak. Marcus Camby had 24 points and nine rebounds, and Andre Miller added 12 points and 10 assists for the Nuggets.

figrin bran
12-16-2006, 10:20 PM
it figures that the Knicks would be involved...

AI still hasn't been traded yet...it must really kill him not to be able to go to practice

JetsAndHeels
12-16-2006, 10:22 PM
I can't wait to see the footage of this one.
I always love the good fights and NBA delivers

InsaneJediGirl
12-16-2006, 10:45 PM
Sports fights are always the best! I still cant get enough of that Miami/Florida Atlantic fight hehe Hopefully some good footage of this will circulate :)

Slicker
12-16-2006, 10:48 PM
Wait til tomorrow when YouTube is on fire with footage of this.

Can't wait to see it myself.:thumbsup:

2-1B
12-17-2006, 12:24 AM
Awesome, every basketball league should have one on a bi-annual cycle.

Darth Jax
12-17-2006, 12:38 AM
with the thugs that populate every NBA team nowdays, does this type of behaviour surprise anyone? where, o where have the goons gone from the NHL?

figrin bran
12-17-2006, 12:51 AM
Way to throw a sucker punch, Carmelo Anthony (clap. clap. clapclapclap o-ver-ra-ted! sorry that just comes out by instinct)

kool-aid killer
12-17-2006, 01:41 PM
I like the picture of him getting choked and the look on his face. Thankfully for Anthony, Eduardo Najera is holding the dude back. King James is a better player anyways.

UKWildcat
12-17-2006, 03:48 PM
Carmelo Anthony (clap. clap. clapclapclap o-ver-ra-ted! sorry that just comes out by instinct)

Not that I am defending him or anything, but I do believe he leads the NBA in scoring... if i'm not mistaken.

JetsAndHeels
12-18-2006, 09:55 AM
I have to give it to Carmelo...guy sure knows how to throw a sucker punch and then get the hell outta the way.
The way he was racing for center court he could have been a cornerback in the NFL.

DarthQuack
12-18-2006, 10:02 AM
Yea, I saw this happen live....so pathetic....me and a guy I work with are Knicks fans....and he had a nice witty comment...."Welcome to the NBA Marty Collins!" And I have been a Syracuse fan for as long as I can remember....and Melo acting like that, brought my respect of him down to the floor.....so assinine.

JetsAndHeels
12-18-2006, 10:10 AM
me and a guy I work with are Knicks fans

So how long before Isaiah is out as coach? The sooner the better I would think.

Slicker
12-18-2006, 10:13 AM
Here's the best video (http://youtube.com/watch?v=8J-I8XFb4vw) of it as it's just basically the foul and the fight.

Everything was starting to settle down until "Melo":rolleyes: threw that ho *** punch. I hope he gets suspended for the rest of the season...but since he's a "superstar" he'll get about 2 games and a $1,000 fine.:rolleyes:

JetsAndHeels
12-18-2006, 10:21 AM
Thanks for the link there Slicker.

I didn't realize how hard Melo hit Collins...I mean you could hear the smack from it on that video. Although I fault him for it and then running like a punk, he sure hit his grill with some force.

Slicker
12-18-2006, 10:24 AM
I didn't realize how hard Melo hit that guy...I mean you could hear the smack from it on that video. I was just talkin' with DQ on AIM and said the same thing. He must've hit him hard and right by one of the microphone dish thingies.

figrin bran
12-18-2006, 10:57 AM
We haven't talked about this angle yet but Isiah has done nothing but make excuses for the situation..."they were up by 19 and shouldn't have had their starters in the game". well boo hoo you shouldn't have let 'em build up that lead then.

he also griped about JR Smith going for a highlight dunk but it's okay if Nate Robinson tries to bounce the ball off the backboard and then dunk it???

i hope Isiah doesn't get fired. he definitely deserves to coach this team the rest of the season :p

J&H, you are dead wrong about 'Melo making a good CB...dude never plays any defense

Rogue II
12-18-2006, 11:06 AM
I only saw the video once, but someone really should show basketball players how to fight. They almost make baseball players not named Nolan Ryan look good.

El Chuxter
12-18-2006, 12:06 PM
This is exactly why I never read the news anymore. It's just too depressing.

Kidhuman
12-18-2006, 04:59 PM
Well, MEllo got 15 and Robinson 10. Not too bad for suspensions. Also each team fined 1/2 mill each. Some other minor suspensions too.

Slicker
12-18-2006, 06:51 PM
Well, MEllo got 15 and Robinson 10. Not too bad for suspensions. Also each team fined 1/2 mill each. Some other minor suspensions too.That's it?! Wow.

I was just lookin' and found the list of suspensions from the Pistons/Pacers fight. Bear in mind that that fight took place on Nov. 19.

Pacers forward Ron Artest has been suspended for the remainder of the season.
Indiana guard Stephen Jackson has been suspended for 30 games.
Pacers forward Jermaine O’Neal has been suspended for 25 games.
Indiana guard Anthony Johnson has been suspended for five games.
Detroit forward/center Ben Wallace has been suspended for six games.
Pistons forwards Elden Campbell and Derrick Coleman and guard Chauncey Billups have each been suspended for one game for leaving the bench during an on-court altercation.
Indiana guard Reggie Miller has been suspended for one game for leaving the bench during an on-court altercation.

Kidhuman
12-18-2006, 08:16 PM
They also hit fans, not eachother and ran into stands, thats hte difference

2-1B
12-18-2006, 08:26 PM
The best fights are the ones that involve fans in the stands !

Luuuuuuke
12-18-2006, 08:32 PM
The whole thing is blown out of proportion. There's more violent fights in hockey every day. I know people say that fighting is just part of the hockey culture, but to me that makes all the hysteria about fighting and the NBA more ridiculous. Why should the NBA get a worse rap because the rare brawl is a deviation from the NBA culture. I don't get it. It's hypocritical.

As for the fans being involved in this brawl. That was accidental. It was nothing like the Pacers/Pistons brawl. By all means, suspend the guys, but I'm just tired of these guys on sports radio ready to just ream the NBA. I don't hear them getting on their high horse on those times when batters rush pitchers and 40 players end up whacking each other. And that's far more common.

Rogue II
12-18-2006, 08:50 PM
The whole thing is blown out of proportion. There's more violent fights in hockey every day. I know people say that fighting is just part of the hockey culture, but to me that makes all the hysteria about fighting and the NBA more ridiculous. Why should the NBA get a worse rap because the rare brawl is a deviation from the NBA culture. I don't get it. It's hypocritical.

As for the fans being involved in this brawl. That was accidental. It was nothing like the Pacers/Pistons brawl. By all means, suspend the guys, but I'm just tired of these guys on sports radio ready to just ream the NBA. I don't hear them getting on their high horse on those times when batters rush pitchers and 40 players end up whacking each other. And that's far more common.

Just out of curosity, do you ever watch hockey?

JetsAndHeels
12-18-2006, 09:23 PM
J&H, you are dead wrong about 'Melo making a good CB...dude never plays any defense

That's only in basketball. :)

I am not surprised Melo got 15 games. Anything much harsher would hurt the league...after all he is one of the faces of the sport and he is the leading scorer currently. Take him away from the Nuggets lineup and you've got scrubs all the way.

Slicker
12-18-2006, 09:31 PM
Anything much harsher would hurt the league...after all he is one of the faces of the sport and he is the leading scorer currently. Take him away from the Nuggets lineup and you've got scrubs all the way.Which is why he should step up and not act like a little b*tch.

JetsAndHeels
12-18-2006, 09:43 PM
Which is why he should step up and not act like a little b*tch.

I am totally in agreement. My comment is basically that the NBA cannot afford to suspend a star like him for too long....its a sad indication of what shape the league is in.

2-1B
12-18-2006, 09:55 PM
I am in agreeance with Slick and Heels.

UKWildcat
12-18-2006, 10:01 PM
I am in agreeance with Slick and Heels.

Who are you? Fred Durst? ;) lol

2-1B
12-18-2006, 10:04 PM
no Yuke, that was actually my impression of Slicker doing an impression of His Limpness. :grin:

lol lol lol

UKWildcat
12-18-2006, 10:05 PM
lollollol :thumbsup:

figrin bran
12-18-2006, 10:10 PM
That's only in basketball. :)

I am not surprised Melo got 15 games. Anything much harsher would hurt the league...after all he is one of the faces of the sport and he is the leading scorer currently. Take him away from the Nuggets lineup and you've got scrubs all the way.

what are you talking about? Denver has the amazing Earl Boykins plus the Fred Taylor of the NBA, Marcus Camby. :p

i think the league doesn't really need Melo to be one of their "faces"...when "number 24" of the Lakers was facing sexual assault charges, they stopped marketing him

JetsAndHeels
12-18-2006, 10:11 PM
i think the league doesn't really need Melo to be one of their "faces"...when "number 24" of the Lakers was facing sexual assault charges, they stopped marketing him

2003 man. You got the new Holy Trinity of that draft class...Lebron, Melo, D Wade.

figrin bran
12-18-2006, 10:19 PM
Other than Lebron and Wade from that draft class, i'd rather have Chris Bosh on my team than Melo ;)

JetsAndHeels
12-18-2006, 10:20 PM
Other than Lebron and Wade from that draft class, i'd rather have Chris Bosh on my team than Melo ;)

Lebron...0 rings
Melo...0 rings
D Wade...1 ring and counting

Who would you rather have?

2-1B
12-18-2006, 10:33 PM
Manute Bol

Luuuuuuke
12-19-2006, 12:28 PM
Just out of curosity, do you ever watch hockey?

I don't think I need to watch hockey to know there's a hell of a lot more face-punching fights in hockey than in basketball if that's where you're going with this:D

I'm sure I'm exagerrating about their being a hockey fight every game, but there's a helluva lot of fights. As to your question, I don't watch hockey. I've heard it's a great sport to wach in person, but doesn't translate as well on TV.

My point is simply that the outrage level is out of proportion when it involves the NBA. People start using words like "thugs," et al. I remember a few years ago a fight involving the L.A. Dodgers, where a couple of Dodgers went into the stands. They didn't spill into the stands--they climbed into the stands. The level of outrage was very low, and no one questioned the character of the entire league. That's all I'm saying.

Rogue II
12-19-2006, 12:46 PM
In hockey, it has been accepted that fighting is "part of the game" but fighting really has dropped off over the past few years. Fights in hockey don't end up being brawls, dragging coaches, photographers, etc. into the fray. For the most part, they are 1 on 1 and serve a purpose, either protecting teammates from cheap shots or an attempt to change the game's momentum. The NHL pretty much has the whole thing under control. You fight, its a 5 minute penalty. If you instigate a fight or come off the bench, it is a suspension.

Hockey players are also not getting $90 million dollar shoe deals, like Kobe and Carmelo Anthony. If I was a shoe company shelling out that much cash, I might be a bit ticked that my spokesman is getting suspended or being accused of rape/adultry.

Luuuuuuke
12-19-2006, 06:09 PM
Hockey players are also not getting $90 million dollar shoe deals, like Kobe and Carmelo Anthony. If I was a shoe company shelling out that much cash, I might be a bit ticked that my spokesman is getting suspended or being accused of rape/adultry.

Nothing you wrote knocks down my argument that this NBA fight is being blown out of proportion.

As for the above, hey, if hockey was more popular hockey players might be getting $90 million dollar shoe deals. But it's not. That's not the NBA or the NFL or the PGA's fault. That's a hockey problem.

As for Kobe being accused of "rape/adultery", yes he was. But I don't know what that has to do with this argument. I'm sure hockey has had its share of alleged and proven baddies. I seem to recall one or two who have taken their stick to an opponent's skull or back, with devastating consequences. But that's neither here nor there as I was not taking a shot at hockey. Merely pointing out an aspect of it to put things in perspective.

My point remains this: There's fights and jerks in other sports, but the NBA seems to get a worse rap than the other leagues. I mean, give me a break. The way people are reacting to this fight, you would think it took place in the Gaza strip.

JetsAndHeels
12-19-2006, 09:31 PM
Looks like the Nuggets have themselves a backup plan. They get Allen Iverson in a trade....man, imagine when Melo returns and they are together on the floor. That will be one heck of an upgrade.

2-1B
12-19-2006, 09:35 PM
Hopefully they'll brawl against each other. lol

JetsAndHeels
12-19-2006, 09:42 PM
Hopefully they'll brawl against each other. lol

AI: "We are talkin bout practice."

Melo: "You best shut yo mouth or I'll land a right hook on your grill dawg."

Melo: "Man I lead the league in scoring."

Melo: "Shut up about practice before I land a right hook on you!!"

AI: "Kind of like I landed a right hook on your mama last night??"

MELO throws right hook

AI chases him as he runs to center court like a spoiled kindergarden student.

Yes, things will be very interesting in Denver.

Slicker
12-19-2006, 10:28 PM
I don't think the basketball court will be able to handle two egos that large...

JetsAndHeels
12-19-2006, 10:30 PM
I don't think the basketball court will be able to handle two egos that large...

The league's top 2 scorers......should be quite a show.

figrin bran
12-19-2006, 10:58 PM
i think AI and Carmelo will get along just fine...

it's AI and George Karl that i'd be concerned about...i give 'em a week before they're at each other's throats. Karl is a huge Larry Brown supporter and conspiracy theorists would tell you that's why he tried to run up the score against the Knicks. Larry Brown and AI was a tumultuous relationship and so i'm sure Karl is rather leery about this situation.

on second thought, maybe i'm wrong about AI and Melo getting along...during his years in Philly, a lot of players were brought in to be AI's second banana...Stackhouse, Larry Hughes, Webber...none of them ever had much success playing 2nd fiddle to Iverson...

i think the Nuggets are going to implode this season, i really do. i mean, we're talkin' Knicks of the West Coast type implosion.

Luuuuuuke
12-20-2006, 12:13 PM
In the East coast, the Nuggets would be one of the top two teams. In the big bad West, they'll be middle of the pack at best, even with AI. The West is just loaded with good and great teams. I actually do think Iverson and Carmelo will play well together. But it won't be enough.

Darth Jax
12-20-2006, 05:15 PM
you won't see AI in a nuggets uniform tonite though. he didn't make it in to town before everything shut down due to the snow.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
12-20-2006, 06:44 PM
Bah, typical NBA brawl.

Players don't even throw punches, just slaps at each other. Notice how Melo sneaks in, throws a slap, and runs away like a girl. If you are going to be tough, at least hit like a man.

By the way, here is the best brawl ever at MSG.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVe5V_Ih1_g (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVe5V_Ih1_g)