PDA

View Full Version : Apocalypto

scruffziller
12-17-2006, 02:53 AM
This film was amazing. It was everything I had imagined it to be from the description of my history teacher back in high school. He would give us full work ups on all the brutal goings on of all of the ancient civilizations.
Say what you want of MG. He makes great movies about the human condition.
I am part Norwegian and I am not offended by the movie Pathfinder coming up. It is about portraying my ancestors, "The Vikings" as they were. And I think it is COOL!!!! Besides, those of them that are making movies about history are doing all of us a great service. For those of us who forget our history, are doomed to repeat it.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
12-17-2006, 10:47 AM
I saw this opening day and loved it. Here is the review I had on my blog about it:

Mel Gibson's Apocalypto"- I wasn't sure what to expect going into this flick. I knew the film depicted the last days of the Maya culture and that Gibson had used a cast of locals and unknowns and that the dialogue is spoken in Yukatek Maya, all of which are subtitled here. The film is epic, breathtaking and marvelous, easily the best film from Mel Gibson yet. The film starts off as a group of native hunters are tracking a tarpir (boar, pretty much). We are introduced to the primary character of Jaguar Paw, played brilliantly by Rudy Youngblood. They complete the kill and are dividing up sections of the boar and having a jolly good time. They seem like any other community: chatting about culture and even making fun of one of their friends about his infertility. It's a good way to start the movie off as it immediately brings us into what seems like a regular day of the tribe. However, the hunt is interrupted by a group of neighboring villagers who have been attacked and are making their way past the hunters "seeking a new beginning." The hunting party lets them pass and they return to the village with the kill, walking by the oceanside as they enter their village. Here, Gibson introduces more of the village, their lifestyle and Jaguar's wife, Sevens, and his adorable son, Turtle's Run (this child is magnificent, trust me). They have dinner, listen to tales of their culture, joke with each other and it creates a very vivid potrait of community and family. Their peaceful existence is abruptly interrupted when a Maya war party demolishes their village, murdering and taking captives. Jaguar is able to hide his family, promises his safe return and his abrutply beaten and captured. The Maya party walks their captives to the Maya city and their probable deaths. And if you're seen previews, commercials, etc, you know that Jaguar is able to run like the dickens back home, chased by his captors, but not before Gibson takes us on a vivid journey through the Maya city and the culture of the Mayans. It's hard to say what is true and false of the film depiction as we can study what's been written about the Mayans. But it is a film, so you can assume that there is a line of truth with a thin layer of movie magic. Either way, it's probably going to be fact mixed with non-facts. The movie itself is pretty graphic as the Maya culture, is notorious for their sacrifices and rituals. The cinematography is astounding as Gibson spares no expense using wide shots and angles to give the audience a full view of the surroundings: have it be the jungle, the Maya city, the enslaved making plaster and building edifices, or the river that is crossed. They're all fantastic to see on the big screen, layered with James Horner's (who else could score a Gibson flick)score to back them up. The fight scenes are brutal and fast, depicting the danger and quick actions essential to survive an encounter with such a brutal group of people. The main star of the flick, Rudy Youngblood, is fantastic as Jaguar Paw, a young native who is forced to deal with the capture of his people, the murder of his friends and the lives of his wife and son who depend on his escape and return to the village. Youngblood dominates every scene he's in; he has a demanding prescence with a cold stare and deep eyes. He pulls off the role wonderfully. "Apocalypto" is a marvelous film on all levels. Gibson may have some personal issues, but once he's behind the camera, you can't help but enjoy his ability to transport the viewer to another time, place, and watch the events unfold. Rating- **** out of ****

Fantastic film. :thumbsup:

scruffziller
12-17-2006, 05:22 PM
I was able to watch this in Digital too. It was AWESOME!!!!! It is real nice not having to see all that visual noise. And an ultra clear picture.:thumbsup:

bigbarada
06-12-2007, 01:51 AM
Amazing film. Absolutely amazing.

The movie is completely unique and totally engrossing. Having all the dialogue in Mayan with English subtitles was a risky move, since it most likely hurt the box office of the film. Artistically, though, it was a stroke of genius. The Mayan dialogue serves to add an extra level of authenticity to the film that wouldn't have been possible if everyone spoke English.

Despite the foreign language you never feel lost in the film because the plot is as simple as can be; but that doesn't mean it's boring. The plot is simply about the struggle for freedom and devotion to family, which is something that anyone in any culture can empathize with.

Anyways, I highly recommend this to anyone. It's very violent and hard to watch in some parts, but I believe it's something that people need to see.

darko666
06-12-2007, 09:46 AM
I am part Norwegian and I am not offended by the movie Pathfinder coming up.

i doubt you will be offended by the portrayal of Vikings in the movie, but you might be mad you wasted your money to see it. i know i am.