PDA

View Full Version : I had this dream where I was eaten by a great white shark

Tycho
12-18-2006, 07:28 AM
I have shark dreams (or nightmares) every so often. Since I used to surf a lot and jet ski, I also thought that this was how I was meant to die. That made sense to me. Being an old man in Depens and on dialysis suffering from problems with over-expensive medications is not my idea of a good death (even if I do pass in my sleep).

A certain way you can die by shark attack seems much faster - and brave somehow.

OK, so in my dream, I'd already chosen to "check out."

I was on an air mattress floating amongst great whites off the Galapagos Island. (I watched a Discovery Channel show about sharks based there several years ago, but never forgot it).

I had a message in a bottle on me (well, it was more like a multi-page manuscript of my swan song and thesis about life and the end of it). The bottle was supposed to wash ashore and be found by researchers some day.

Anyway, the sharks were huge. Probably 15-17 footers. But they were pretty much ignoring me as I floated on my raft / air mattress thing (you know: one of those swimming pool toys).

So I threw the bottle towards the island shore. Inside, typed, as my handwriting is no longer any good, were all my theories and even my expectations about death.

Having nothing left to do, and not being a person that likes to dwell on things, I dived off the air mattress onto a great white shark that swam next to it.

The fish was startled for a second. She shook violently, but I grabbed the dorsal fin and hung on. I worried she'd dive too deep and I really don't relish the thought of drowning.

The other sharks kept their distance, as this whole event was probably very strange to them.

I lost my hold and made for the surface as I needed air.

The same shark I'd grabbed was irritated to say the least. She turned and headed straight for me. I took in my last lungfull of air and then turned according to my plan, so I faced her jaws with my head first.

A snap of her powerful jaws and I was decapitated, my head in her mouth. Obviously I lost track of what happened to my body after that, but I really didn't care. I suppose the other sharks could have eaten me. By the way, I was almost naked, but I felt a little modest so I was wearing plain grey boxers only. I'd originally planned to do this naked, but...

Anyway, the brain can supposedly survive without oxygen for 2 minutes or longer. So I was not brain dead instantly. I'd lost consciousness from the sudden pain, but I'd come back to fairly quickly.

I didn't have lungs anymore, so I wasn't choking on water in the shark's stomach. I had no throat either. The roof of my mouth by the air hole to my nose was sure irritated though. I could taste a rusted iron flavor - blood no doubt, and that spot was sore as like it gets when you have a cold. I registered some sort of cramping discomfort in my body, but I didn't have a body any more, so I dismissed that. It was completely dark because I was inside the shark's stomach and unless it opened its mouth again, there'd be no light. My whole surroundings stunk like a rotting goldfish, but it must have been infiltrating my senses because I wasn't breathing in the conventional sense - remember, I had no throat or lungs any more.

This description makes 2 minutes seem like an eternity I know, but really, this is all happening in a matter of seconds.

In any case, I guess the shark knew she couldn't digest my skull, and thus she vomitted my head out. Now I was sinking to the ocean bottom. It was bright again as sunlight was penetrating the clear water. I was pretty much brain dead. But I was aware that I was about to become food for crabs and sea snails until nothing of me remained but a stripped bare skull. The little crustaceans would enter my mouth and nose and ears, my eyesockets soon after they ate my eyes of course. My last thoughts were centered around musing that if the crabs ate my brain, which they surely would, could this even arise in the evolution of super-intelligent crabs whom I'd have imparted some of my genius to?

JEDIpartner
12-18-2006, 08:47 AM
Okay... no more enchiladas before bed for you, young man!

El Chuxter
12-18-2006, 10:22 AM
Funny, I had the same dream last night. Except it was from another perspective: I was on the beach with my dad, Mickey Mouse, Mr T, and Soundwave, and we saw you get eaten by a great white. And then Mr T said, "Damn, that foo Tycho done got hisself eaten by a great white shark!" And then we grilled hamburgers and danced to the musical stylings of David Hasselhoff.

Rogue II
12-18-2006, 10:35 AM
Wow, what a horrible dream. You listened to Hasselhoff?

JEDIpartner
12-18-2006, 11:31 AM
You should have grilled Hasselhoff.

Rogue II
12-18-2006, 11:41 AM
You should have grilled Hasselhoff.

Which raises the question: Is he white meat or dark meat?

JEDIpartner
12-18-2006, 12:33 PM
White... definitely white... dry-- bland-- no rhythm. D'oh!

2-1B
12-18-2006, 06:36 PM
Hasselhoff. The other white meat.

Darth Jax
12-18-2006, 11:50 PM
did pepe tell you "the wave is mine" before eating you?

and for anyone that actually understands that i'm very, very sorry for you.

2-1B
12-19-2006, 08:32 AM
Tycho, how did you taste? This is all fascinating.

Kidhuman
12-19-2006, 11:30 AM
I think myspace has blogs for this specific reason

Tycho
12-19-2006, 04:08 PM
I think myspace has blogs for this specific reason

This thread was very hard for me to post actually.

There's a reason I didn't blog it on MySpace.

I'm not sure this will make sense, but I'll try.

Sharks are a very real fear of mine. It was hard for me to even write about a description of my nightmare. If I blogged it, the story might stay on MySpace attached to my personal site forever. Sure I could delete it from my blogs, but that would be a bit like cheating the truth, wouldn't it? Here on SSG, I felt I was being very brave posting this - like I said, the nightmare is psychologically deep for me on a personal level.

But as it really doesn't cause any harm here, most people can ignore it if it's not interesting to them, and it will probably melt into our archives, in obscurity, eventually. In the meanwhile, I'll look forward to it going away, buried under new posts. But just the same, I'm not denying it, nor forcing it on the surface of my online journal either.

This is but a very short anecdote. I'm the protagonist of the story, and I die rather quickly in the tale's timeframe. Now I'm writing a major novel based on ideas I took from one of my dreams. That's what I'm usually at my computer working on. It's some 300+ pages already. As I noted, this shark tale is nothing but a footnote and I don't feel there is a very interesting story here. I could write a tale of woe that ends with this elaborate suicide, but I'm not inclined to do so at the moment, if ever.

Still, if you can recall your dreams and write about them, especially detailed descriptives, it comprises the essence of a great creative writing exercise. Dreams can be very real to us - which is also why I fear this one.

I could face "death by shark attack." I just described one manner of how in this thread. But somehow I also want to escape even the idea of it. It's only my personal opinion, but I still think I was brave to write about it. Now it will be nice when it eventually goes away.

I hope that made some sense.

2-1B
12-19-2006, 04:34 PM
Tycho, are you a San Jose hockey fan ?

Tycho
12-19-2006, 04:39 PM
Tycho, are you a San Jose hockey fan ?

No. I rarely watch any sports. Football or Baseball are my first choices when I do.

Where are you going with that Caesar?

2-1B
12-19-2006, 06:27 PM
San Jose Sharks.

bobafrett
12-19-2006, 09:01 PM
Tycho, how did you taste? This is all fascinating.

He tasted like chicken, don't you know that all white meat tastes like chicken? I could be wrong of course, as the muscle tissue is red, in which case he tasted like raw steak! Bring on the A-1 steak sauce!

2-1B
12-19-2006, 09:20 PM
Frett, I'd like to see a Bear square off against a Shark....I wonder how that would turn out. Hopefully I will dream about it tonight and then I can tell you tomorrow. :)

Darth Jax
12-19-2006, 10:26 PM
Frett, I'd like to see a Bear square off against a Shark....I wonder how that would turn out. Hopefully I will dream about it tonight and then I can tell you tomorrow. :)

didn't they have that show on discovery where they pitted mechanical animals against each other? i think they had a croc go up against a shark, but no bear/shark match-up.

Tycho
12-19-2006, 11:23 PM
A little off topic, but some kind of boat caught the footage of a killer whale ripping a great white shark in half.

Apparently the footage is sort of famous, as well as recent (post 2000, but maybe a few years old). The killer whale was a mother and had a calf with her that might've looked like lunch to the very large shark.

The mother whale did a quick turn, but the shark changed course and bit a big bloody chunk from her. But she got free (they were kind of the same size). Anyway, she dove down deep fast, then turned and came up really fast and bit the great white in half while she pushed it completely out of the water, smashing down with half of it in her mouth and the other half breaking up in the water, only to be attacked and eaten by her young calf.

It was quite the "red water" video and very exciting, as well as a good win for mammals everywhere.

However, though they're extremely smart animals, the video also demonstrates how dangerous killer whales might be - though I'm sure part of their intelligence involves identifying who might be a dangerous predator (like the shark) and a man (without a harpoon) might be inconsequential as he would not be the killer whale's natural prey and they are smart enough to tell the difference.

I don't know the status of killer whale attacks on people. However, they do go for seals and polar bears on ice sheets and can't tell a man on one from their regular prey. So I can understand an attack in an ice breaker situation.

But wild whales are not "Shamu." However, some wild whales were formerly in captivity and might just be friendly if you're lucky.

Remember Willy?

mabudonicus
12-20-2006, 08:42 AM
I had a dream last night where Elf and I had a little pet crocodlie and I was walking it around on a leash and every time someone with a dog walked by they would freak out at me for having such a dangerous thing around on the streets- but it wasn't vicious or anything, and it was pretty small, and cool looking and it kinda smiled, maybe I could get this published too??
:beard:Isobaws&

Tycho
12-20-2006, 09:14 AM
Dress like Don Johnson in the 1980's when you walk your crocodile, only "Elvis" on Miami Vice was an alligator.

But it kind of was done before in that TV series.

bobafrett
12-20-2006, 09:45 PM
I had a dream last night that I was riding my bike home during a snowstorm in a lane of on coming traffic. Then I found a large plush landspeeder, and I jumped off my bike to retrieve it, only to find other large plush Star Wars characters and ships. This was all in the right hand oncoming lane of traffic, and there was much snow, and a guy stopped in his car as I was picking up the plush goodies, but then I saw plush transformers, and I started getting confused trying to distinguish between Star Wars droids and transformers because they were plush, they were distorted to begin with. The snow kept falling, and cars were driving around me, almost hitting the one person who had stopped. I soon became overwhelmed because I knew I couldn't possibly get back on my bike and ride with all the stuffed Star Wars even though I knew my house was just a couple blocks away. I was afraid if I left anything there, someone else would get it, and I wanted every last SW plush toy I found.

Tycho
12-21-2006, 01:08 AM
What was the guy who stopped in his car doing?

This is an interesting dream BobaFrett.

bobafrett
12-21-2006, 11:32 PM
He was just sitting in his car with his headlights shining on the plush toys, kinda keeping me safe from the oncoming traffic.

General_Grievous
12-22-2006, 05:33 PM
I had a dream not too long ago where I found the first wave of 30th Anniversary figures, except they were about 12 inches each. The Galactic Marine, Mustafar Lava Miner, Mace....all three times their regular size.

Tycho
12-22-2006, 06:23 PM
That's cool General Grievous.

Actually, my coolest, most memorable Star Wars collecting dream was when I went into Toys R Us, in modern times, and the isles were back to being isles, not islands in their "worlds" format, and they had pegs and pegs of all the vintage figures! Not the VOTC figures, but like someone actually found cases of the figures from the 1970's and 1980's, brand new and mint.

Better yet, this was sometime in the mid-afternoon and the isles were deserted. No one (no scalpers) for sure seemed to know about this. And the figures were all marked at 80's prices for $2.98 each.

I panicked not knowing if I should grab everyone and somehow manage carrying them, or chance leaving the isle for just a minute to grab a shopping cart that would hold at least 96 of them (though I intended to army build immediately at that price! -and I decided to keep several carded sets. So suddenly I reasoned I'd need 2 shopping carts. - I did this at the ROTS midnight madness, much to other people's horror).

So anyway, I charged my credit card to its max in my dream, buying thousands and thousands of dollars worth of Star Wars figures, but actually it didn't max. Because of the lower price, I really felt like I was getting "a steal of a bargain' and I had not one, but three incredible collections to sort through.

So yeah I would go wild over vintage figures if I had that kind of opportunity.

bobafrett
01-05-2007, 02:33 PM
I took a nap and started having a dream about my son. I was talking to him, but he wasn't responding. My Dad and step mom were walking around past him. Then as I got closer, I saw he had a hearing aid in his left ear. He was much younger than he is now, and I just went up to him and hugged him and started crying "What happened to my boo, what happened to my boo?", and I woke up and I was crying in real life, and then I started sobbing, before realizing it was just a dream.

Tycho
01-05-2007, 03:51 PM
That's an unusual dream, BobaFrett. If we were to get into dream interpretation, I haven't the faintest clue what your dream would mean. Maybe it could have been a fear from your past when your son was younger and fell ill, and for some reason you thought an ear infection would permanently damage him? I hope that was never the case. But maybe your own parents were in the picture because you feared whether you could help your own child, and you have confidence in them as you might have all your life because they are your parents (father, anyway).

Did he reach out to you and in a deep voice say, "Barry, I am your father! Join me and together we will defeat any ear infections and restore good health to the galaxy. Come with me son, it is the only way," ?

Meanwhile, I must have not been sleeping well as I can't really remember any interesting dreams I've had for over a week. That's why there's been nothing to write in the forums about. My novel (originally inspired by a dream) is coming along really well though. I've written so much! I've weighed different story elements out and really enjoy working through them.

The beautiful thing about this book is that it's really 2 stories wrapped into one and I've focused mostly on half of it, so when I'm finally done, I won't be and I'll have the other half to go back and expand on. It's funny, but this is one time when I can actually reflect back that I'm enjoying the process of something I'm working on.