PDA

View Full Version : E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial

Tycho
12-19-2006, 12:52 AM
"E.T. phone home!" This movie always grabs my heart. Since 1982 it hasn't ever lost its charm and it still plays as a true American classic - and one of Spielberg's best and most unforgettable films.

The touching story of a boy that befriends a stranded alien, E.T. has played a few nods towards Star Wars fans, as well.

The mother ship would remind you of a Trade Federation landing module (to some degree). E.T. himself calls "HOME" to a Yoda costumer when they go trick-or-treating to cover E.T.'s escape into the woods to set up his transmitter to call his people. Elliot shows E.T. Star Wars action figures including Greedo, Hammerhead, Walrusman, SnaggleToothe, and Lando Calrissian. Also, E.T. appears to have command of The Force and can levitate things with remarkable control!

Paying some tribute back, George Lucas included 4 E.T. Senators on Coruscant in The Phantom Menace.

I think they helped elect Palpatine the Supreme Chancellor, so who says they're too bright?

Meanwhile, I love the scenes as Elliot and E.T. are growing connected, and E.T. gets drunk while Elliot frees the frogs in school and kisses the girl. Haha. I laughed again like I always do.

The film was also Drew Berrymore's first and finest Hollywood moment. I think it was all downhill from here.

But the film was great to watch again and it stands the test of time. I remember having Speak & Spell when I was a kid, too - and those BMX bike days!

A very good movie. I wish they never took the bike flight ride out of Universal Studios.

2-1B
12-19-2006, 09:29 AM
I never cared much for stories about touching boys.

Tycho, I think some people believe this movie lost it's charm 4 years ago when they Special Editioned it....lol

mabudonicus
12-19-2006, 01:26 PM
This remind sme of a funny aside- my mom thought that song "Turn on Your Heart Light" was AWFUL cos she thought it was about sexual predators chasing young boys (and even more scary cos I thought it was cool at the time cos it was I HOPE about ET)- her stance softened a bit once I explained it to her

The film- I saw it in the theatre once and never bothered to see it again, I remembered as much as I'd ever need from the first viewing

I thought the best part was Greedos cameo, pity the Deuce didn't make an appearance but oh well :beard:Isobaws&

DarkArtist
12-19-2006, 01:30 PM
I saw ET in the theaters when it first came out back in '82. loved the movie but hate the SE version. The whole scene with the cops holding walkie-talkie's instead of guns was wrong. It just goes to show you how much the world has changed.

Tycho
12-19-2006, 02:14 PM
I didn't know they changed the guns to walkie-talkies. Wow.

I have the original VHS version of the film that I pulled off my shelf to watch. I'm glad I never went for the Special Edition. That's really lame. They never shot any kids with guns in that film.

The mother did panic and yell, "No guns! They're just kids!" But realistically, in the version of the film I watched, security forces didn't know what to expect from dealing with an alien (that was dead and suddenly came back to life), and they were quite naturally prepared to defend themselves.

I see nothing wrong with that. Like I noted, they didn't shoot at grade-school age kids even when E.T. made their bicycles fly.

2-1B
12-19-2006, 05:30 PM
This remind sme of a funny aside- my mom thought that song "Turn on Your Heart Light" was AWFUL cos she thought it was about sexual predators chasing young boys (and even more scary cos I thought it was cool at the time cos it was I HOPE about ET)- her stance softened a bit once I explained it to her

she got Softer in the Summer ? :confused:

Rocketboy
12-19-2006, 05:57 PM
I like the part where ET dies. It makes children cry.

El Chuxter
12-19-2006, 06:05 PM
Answer me this:

"Did you cried when ET died?"

Slicker
12-19-2006, 06:32 PM
You should ask Cappy about ET. He LOVES him!!!

BTW, I didn't cried when ET died but I heard Funtime did...

2-1B
12-19-2006, 07:28 PM
I thought Drew Barrymore was hot way back then.

JediTricks
12-19-2006, 07:33 PM
My late grandpa took me to see this movie when it came out, and I left the theater feeling so annoyed, the film was way too manipulative and schmaltzy even for a 6-year-old.

Tycho
12-19-2006, 08:08 PM
My late grandpa took me to see this movie when it came out, and I left the theater feeling so annoyed, the film was way too manipulative and schmaltzy even for a 6-year-old.

How so? Everything presented felt natural to me.

mabudonicus
12-20-2006, 09:31 AM
I think JT was referring to the techniques employed, like the emotional hi-jacking etc, same reason I couldn't see it again, JT, after seing it at the theatre and trying to recall it, I kept losing any recollection of "good bits", you know, bits that were just plain AWESOME, the films relies too much on simple tricks (like Disney films, some of which should have been illegal with the levels of manipulation therein) and not enough on any sort of substance- the fact that somehow "ET phone home" somehow still has gravitas is an odd reflection on just how little content there was in it, but I suppose fans of "realism" might enjoy how scripted realism looks on the big screen

And I guess the film was better than Godziller :beard:Isobaws&

JediTricks
12-20-2006, 04:41 PM
I see what you mean about it being like Disney films in that regard, I hadn't really put it together before. Disney gets away with it because it's what they do, they built an empire on it, so it's almost expected with their movies from the '40s-70s. ET though goes for the throat with the emotional hijacking, Spielberg basically uses horror movie techniques in a non-horror movie to get you torn up over what's happening.

El Chuxter
12-20-2006, 04:44 PM
Wow, you guys are heartless.

This movie rocked. It deserves every accolade it's received, and more.

JediTricks
12-20-2006, 04:59 PM
Wow, you guys are heartless.

This movie rocked. It deserves every accolade it's received, and more.
Hey, I'm not calling you out for being Spielberg's sucker. :p

2-1B
12-20-2006, 10:34 PM
(like Disney films, some of which should have been illegal with the levels of manipulation therein)

correction: all of which.

El Chuxter
12-21-2006, 10:49 AM
Even Atlantis?