PDA

View Full Version : displaying figures 30th anniversary

Dominic Guglieme
12-19-2006, 07:46 PM
I just picked up the episode 2 tin. Hookay, shoudl I keep the toys on the blister, or take 'em out? Should I use the shelf hooks on the card?

On the one hand, I like how the cards mirror each other. On the other, I like the toys unto themselves........

So confused.....

JediTricks
12-19-2006, 08:04 PM
I don't do "sets" generally, if I buy a figure it'll go into my collection wherever it goes. However, I did do a full set of Vintage-style and kept it separate, and I never found a place for my Vader Evolutions figures. But with these tins, I'd definitely be getting them for the figures to go someplace in my collection, they aren't much of a collection together, 4 random guys that ship together in a commemorative tin - what's the point?

Dominic Guglieme
12-19-2006, 08:55 PM
The Episode 2 tins mirror each other though. You have a trooper with Anakin, contrasted with the source material for the trooper, and a Sith, which foreshadows Anakin's fate.

Darth Cruel
12-19-2006, 10:13 PM
Hmmmm...this IS a dilemma. On the one hand, I am a carded collector, but on the other hand...I am also a loose collector if you consider my troop-building and the few figures that I display loose because they are a good sculpt AND have good articulation. I keep my tins in the package...but I DO want to be able to use the tins for stuff like extra parts. In the end...I am as confused as you, Dom, and can be of no assistance.

DarkArtist
12-19-2006, 10:45 PM
I say rip em open and play with them. I used to be a carded collector but the space became limited. Now the first thing I do is rip open the cards and display my collection for the world to see (well at least my friends and family.) Hopefully Santa will find it in his heart(his big bag of toys too) to give me a new digital camera so that I may take some pics and share them here with everyone. Here's hoping.

JediTricks
12-20-2006, 05:20 AM
Seems like a pretty sketchy reason to keep it sealed, but if that's your desire.

One thing though, if you don't open it now, the likelihood of you opening it later goes way down. If you already have these molds though, no reason to open it.

Dominic Guglieme
12-20-2006, 12:00 PM
Hmmmm...this IS a dilemma. On the one hand, I am a carded collector, but on the other hand...I am also a loose collector if you consider my troop-building and the few figures that I display loose because they are a good sculpt AND have good articulation. I keep my tins in the package...but I DO want to be able to use the tins for stuff like extra parts. In the end...I am as confused as you, Dom, and can be of no assistance.

No worries DC. You are plenty helpful. (Thanks for the lead on long trooer rifles by they way.)

JT-
It is just that these display so well in the package, but I do not have the molds for any of them save for the trooper. And, I do not have any Episode II officers.

Old Fossil
12-20-2006, 12:04 PM
It is doubtful we will ever see more tin sets issued... much as JT suggested, these are oddities like the Evolutions sets (though the tins offer less in the way of new figures, yet more artistically), and are difficult to display with, say, a carded collection. I personally collect some carded and loose figures, plus some loose ships and even fewer MIB ships. Unopened tin sets, as well as unopened Evolutions sets, have no real place in my displays.

I say open 'em, use what you can for displays/dioramas, and chunk the rest into storage.:thumbsup:

Luuuuuuke
12-20-2006, 01:09 PM
Open them. That's what I do. I keep a few things in their package when the package really adds in a very unique way to the product. For instance, I keep an extra George Lucas stormtrooper in the package. I did the same thing with the Peter Jackson hobbit figure from the Toybiz LOTR line.

But I open almost everything and find that I get a lot more satisfaction from that than keeping them in the package and taking up a huge amount of space.

JediTricks
12-20-2006, 05:05 PM
JT-
It is just that these display so well in the package, but I do not have the molds for any of them save for the trooper. And, I do not have any Episode II officers.I'm not seeing it looking that great, they look kinda generic in there to me, I don't view the connection the way you do though. You could do what I did with the Vintage-style figures, cut the bubble at the sides and bottom but not the top, then flop the tray out and mess with the figures - if you don't find a place for them in your collection, slip the figures back into the tray and the tray back into the bubble, it won't look like they've been opened.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-20-2006, 05:47 PM
I'm generally a loose collector, so I opened these to use in my diorama setups. Anakin will be next to the upcoming Padmé, waiting to go into the arena; Jango is next to a Mace for "This party's over;" Dooku is fighting the two-sabered Anakin; the clone is on Kamino, putting on his helmet.

For you, if you mostly open the figures, then open these ones. You can always look at carded pictures on the internet. :D

jedi master sal
12-21-2006, 11:19 AM
You can always look at carded pictures on the internet. :D

THAT my friend, is what I've felt all along! Sure the same can be said for pics of loose ones, but having the figs loose to play or display with was the intended use. Besides, it takes up WAY less room.

Dominic Guglieme
12-21-2006, 11:26 AM
I have been leaning towards opening the, and will do so tonight.