PDA

View Full Version : And you thought your job sucked?

El Chuxter
12-20-2006, 02:58 PM
I've got issues at my job. I've told some of you about various things (like being way underpaid and underappreciated, or the rather amusing pathological liar I sit next to). And I'm already planning to leave after the holidays. But today, well, holy crap, this dump reached a new low.

A little tiny bit of background: this place started 52 years ago, and was family-owned until the 80s. Since then, it's been owned by a couple of different holding companies. (The current one, which has owned it since around 1996 or so, actually has a company policy that they are not to be referred to as a holding company by any employee. Hey, if it walks like a duck....) All the senior officers have been family members of the original owner, until about 18 months ago, when the VP of Human Resources left and was replaced by an eccentric chap with the distinctive experience of (not making this up, I swear) being captain of a fishing boat in Alaska. There've been some weird policies instituted, my favorite being "keep business calls to a minimum." (I can see personal calls, but, uh, aren't business calls sort of kind of the backbone of what a company does?)

Anyway, since the place was founded, it's been closed the week between Christmas and New Years. It's a bit of a double-edged sword, as only three of the five days are considered holidays, and we have the wonderful choice of using vacation or not being paid for the other days. But, it is a week off.

On Christmas Eve (or the Friday before), every year, the company has shut down at noon, and we have a mandatory Christmas "party." Again, it's kind of nuts that the party is required. But the good outweighs the bad on this one, since we're paid for a full day, get a big lunch, raffles, prizes, yadda yadda.

Until this year, that is. The senior management decided that this year, they'll have the party at noon as before. The only difference is, whether the employees leave or go back to work for a few hours is totally up to the discretion of the Human Resources VP. We've been told we should plan for a full 8-hour shift. And, knowing the guy, I have no doubt it will be a full shift.

"But EC," you ask, "what's the big deal? It's just a change in policy."

The big deal is that no one except the most senior managers, who keep to themselves in a metaphorical crystal tower, knew about this until late this morning. A memo was sent out on e-mail regarding this, and took even the middle managers totally by surprise.

Needless to say, given that no one had indicated this was even a possibility, the widespread assumption was that Friday was going to be a half-day. Most of the 150 or so people here have made plans. And, with Christmas falling on a Monday, many of those plans involve travel.

I'm still pretty flabbergasted by the whole thing. Even if I wasn't planning on leaving after the paid holidays, I'd certainly be looking around now. I mean, I've heard of ****ty managers before, but this is a level of total disregard for everyone here that seems more likely to show up in a Dickens novel than in even the lousiest workplaces in the real world.

bobafrett
12-20-2006, 09:36 PM
Wal-Mart has cut out our merit raises, set up a rediculous attendance policy because of the few people who abuse now we are all made to suffer. They cut out our stores getting an outside warehouse to store the overstock merchandise, so now everyday I am forced to crawl between pallets of frieght to get back to my bike assembly station.

Kidhuman
12-21-2006, 03:27 AM
Well, at least your company is having a party, mione didnt even offer us a party or a bonus. Go figure on that one.

scruffziller
12-21-2006, 08:17 AM
Wal-Mart has cut out our merit raises, set up a rediculous attendance policy because of the few people who abuse now we are all made to suffer. They cut out our stores getting an outside warehouse to store the overstock merchandise, so now everyday I am forced to crawl between pallets of frieght to get back to my bike assembly station.

The guy who assembles our bikes here at WM is a hardcore Cowboys fan from Chicago.

Darth Jax
12-21-2006, 08:19 AM
the airport, schools, malls, and all govt offices are closed today due to blizzard - but i still have to try to make it in to work. all because if the office is closed they don't make any money.

mtriv73
12-21-2006, 08:25 AM
Wow, this makes me happy to have a job I actually enjoy. Of course we get no bonuses and we actually have to buy tickets to the holiday party, but I like almost everything else.

bobafrett
12-21-2006, 11:19 PM
The guy who assembles our bikes here at WM is a hardcore Cowboys fan from Chicago.

Ugh, not a true Chicagoan then! :razz:

CaptainSolo1138
12-22-2006, 07:25 PM
I have a feeling that a certain lady you work with invented the mid-day Christmas party anyway, Chux. Why don't you just have her fix it?

El Chuxter
12-23-2006, 06:44 PM
I'm sure she did, but she's on vacation. She went to visit family, but I'm not sure if she took the world's biggest horse with her, or if she's meeting her old boyfriends Gene Rodenberry and Butch Patrick. :crazed:

Kidhuman
12-23-2006, 08:44 PM
Well, she left at 11:30 in the afternoon.