PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows!!!

El Chuxter
12-21-2006, 02:11 PM
The good news: we now have a name for the seventh installment.

The bad news: Next year "at the earliest." (Meaning probably 2008 or beyond.)

I think the name sounds quite interesting. It's definitely a darker title for what will have to be, by far, the darkest book/film of the series. (I mean, we know Voldemort is going down, probably dying in the process; Snape has to die a hero to help Harry defeat Voldemort and reveal Dumbledore's final master plan; and Rowling has even implied Harry himself might not survive.)

Discuss. :)

Slicker
12-21-2006, 02:18 PM
These books suck...

...as much as El Chuxter's mom.

Rocketboy
12-21-2006, 02:37 PM
The REAL good news: It's the last book.

El Chuxter
12-21-2006, 02:46 PM
Oh, come on! You've got to at least give them credit for being better than three of the six Star Wars movies. :p

(And "El Chuxter's Mom" doesn't have the same ring to it that "Slicker's Mom" does, so eat it, Richards.)

Rocketboy
12-21-2006, 03:41 PM
Oh, come on! You've got to at least give them credit for being better than three of the six Star Wars movies. :p
Actually, I can't. I couldn't stomach more than 10 minutes of one of the Potter movies.
I'd rather watch the Star Wars Holiday Special again.

General_Grievous
12-21-2006, 05:56 PM
I think it's a weak title, and this is coming from a Potter fan.

2-1B
12-21-2006, 06:11 PM
Oh, Snap(e) ! :grin:

What Rocketboy and Slicker said.
I would rather watch TPM on 24 hour loop including all deleted scenes (with an extended version of the Greedo scene) than watch 10 minutes of Harry Pooper.

Nevertheless, this book should be released on All Hallows Eve, 10/31.

Luuuuuuke
12-21-2006, 07:01 PM
That's an awkward title. I do like the books though, and the movies have gotten better. And Star Wars fans who dress as wookies and have Slave Leia posters shouldn't get on their high horse over Harry Potter:D

jjreason
12-21-2006, 07:38 PM
The coolness of the title is meaningless. She could call it Harry Potter and the Snigtad Flornbis - and I'd still be lined up on the date of release to buy my 2 copies.

I am PUMPED about this book. :D

Mad Slanted Powers
12-21-2006, 07:50 PM
I liked the joke Jimmy Fallon did on Weekend Update a couple years ago about how the next book (probably the 6th one at the time) would be called Harry Potter and the End of Trees due to how many books would be printed.

I like the series and am looking forward to the final installment. However, since I didn't start reading them until just before the first movie came out, I ended up getting the paperback. Since I don't want to get the hard cover unless I get them all, I'll have to wait until the paperback comes out to read it.

I mean, we know Voldemort is going down, probably dying in the process; Snape has to die a hero to help Harry defeat Voldemort and reveal Dumbledore's final master plan; and Rowling has even implied Harry himself might not survive.

Discuss. :)My thoughts exactly. I'm not yet convinced Snape has turned to the dark side.

El Chuxter
12-21-2006, 07:55 PM
Nah, when he was arguing with Dumbledore earlier in the book, saying he didn't want to go through with something, Dumbledore had just ordered him to kill him in front of Harry and some Death-Eater witnesses.

Dumbledore was already seriously injured from one horcrux, and knew he wouldn't survive long after another. Plus, he's probably pushing 200 from all the different time clues in the past few books (Dudley having a Playstation, Dumbledore already being old as dirt in a time where there didn't seem to be cars yet, etc).

2-1B
12-21-2006, 08:14 PM
Dumbledore was already seriously injured from one horcrux,

*in the voice of Darrell Hammond as Sean Connery on SNL's Jeopardy:

"was your mother a hor, chux ?"

lol lol lol

(oh come on, that was funny!!!!! :grin: :grin: :grin: )

Jedi_Master_Guyute
12-21-2006, 09:55 PM
man, can you imagine the drama, weeping, sadness, and lawsuits filed if Harry got pwnd in book 7? Oh man, so many kids would be in therapy for YEARS.

I'm really excited about this book. :thumbsup:

Luuuuuuke
12-21-2006, 11:18 PM
I still wonder what the deal is with that mirror Sirius Black's body fell into when he died. The one with the voices. I wonder if Black will make a comeback, somehow.

InsaneJediGirl
12-21-2006, 11:24 PM
Looking forward to it but not sure of the title. Like JMG said, I dont think Harry will be killed off, just think of all these Harry Potter fanatics who would threaten to do unimaginable things. Riots!!!!

Mad Slanted Powers
12-22-2006, 12:16 AM
Just because he dies doesn't mean he will be completely gone. He can live on in one of those photos.

El Chuxter
12-22-2006, 09:47 AM
Depends. If it's a result of an Aveda Kadaver spell, he can't. The sleeping Dumbledore picture hanging in the office will never wake up.

Sirius may be different. It's never confirmed what that mirror is, or whether he's dead or in some other dimension or something.

Agreed that Harry won't die. But I can guarantee you:
1) Harry will kill (or somehow otherwise permanently deal with) Voldemort
2) Neville will kill Bellatrix LeStrange
3) Snape will die a hero, probably at the hands of Voldermort or Lucius Malfoy
4) Draco Malfoy will redeem himself (it's plain from the end of HP&THBP that he's just a brat, not a killer like his father)
5) At least one other major hero (Hermione, Ron, Neville, McGonagall, Hagrid, Ginny, Lupin, or Colin) will die a gruesome death
6) "RAB" is Sirius' brother Regalus

Luuuuuuke
12-22-2006, 11:54 AM
Looking forward to it but not sure of the title. Like JMG said, I dont think Harry will be killed off, just think of all these Harry Potter fanatics who would threaten to do unimaginable things. Riots!!!!

If Harry Potter fans rioted, it would probably be a very low-level riot, with mass hissy fits. I wouldn't worry about Harry Potter rioters.

DarkArtist
12-22-2006, 12:43 PM
as far as Harry dying what about the prophecy. didn't it say that neither shall die as one lives or something like that. I think Dumbledore is going to do something along the lines of Gandolf from LOTR and come back as Dumbledore the white or something. I think Snape will sacrifice himself to save Harry, and JK Rowling will continue to write books about Harry's adventures or perhaps prequels about the Potter's before they died.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-22-2006, 05:09 PM
Shouldn't this be in the book section?

I'm of course excited for this one. I've only read HBP once, so I need to do that again before this one comes out. I like the title, it's certainly better than HBP.

General_Grievous
12-22-2006, 05:21 PM
If Harry dies in this, I don't think I'd mind too much. He's been acting like a prat in the last two books. If they killed off Ron, Hermione, or Hagrid, I'd be pi**ed, but I definitely wouldn't riot.

Jargo
12-22-2006, 05:41 PM
I've been forever put off reading these books because of the godawful movies. All fluff and no substance is the impression I get though. And I wouldn't put a single penny into the Rowling witch's pockets now anyway. she's far too rich already.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-22-2006, 09:35 PM
Shouldn't this be in the book section?If I had the power (called libros vagabondi), I'd like to move it (move it).

C'mon, people. These books are great! So what if Rowling gets rich; so do you (enriching your own imagination and love of reading). I will buy this hardback the day it comes out, read it non-stop to avoid spoilers (both intentional and accidental), then donate it to a local library so another child (I seem to revert to a kid again when reading them) can have that same joy.

Soapbox unstepped off now. :p

InsaneJediGirl
12-23-2006, 01:08 PM
You know, didnt even think of moving it when I replied. Of course, I can now though :)

I agree with some of the others, this wont be the last book for sure.

Jargo
12-23-2006, 03:53 PM
It's not really Rowlings riches that bother me most, I just don't dig the whole story. I'll stick with my Terry Pratchett Discworld series and enjoy reading the words of someone who's worldly wise and knows how to construct a book to leave you guessing every step of the way. Pratchett even writes better kids books. intelligent and insightful, engaging and actually spot on when it comes to depicting children within the story. Rowlings characters are so two dimensional, an adults view of children rather than a childs view. she's far too wordy too.

read Pratchett's Tiffany Aching trilogy, wee free men, hatful of sky and wintersmith. now that there is good writing.

El Chuxter
12-23-2006, 06:25 PM
Funny, I would've started this under Comics & Books, but had a feeling it'd spill over into the inevitable film, too. :)

2-1B
12-23-2006, 06:57 PM
They should kill off the annoying shaggy red haired kid.

Mad Slanted Powers
12-23-2006, 07:23 PM
I've been forever put off reading these books because of the godawful movies. All fluff and no substance is the impression I get though. And I wouldn't put a single penny into the Rowling witch's pockets now anyway. she's far too rich already.

It's not really Rowlings riches that bother me most, I just don't dig the whole story. I'll stick with my Terry Pratchett Discworld series and enjoy reading the words of someone who's worldly wise and knows how to construct a book to leave you guessing every step of the way. Pratchett even writes better kids books. intelligent and insightful, engaging and actually spot on when it comes to depicting children within the story. Rowlings characters are so two dimensional, an adults view of children rather than a childs view. she's far too wordy too.

read Pratchett's Tiffany Aching trilogy, wee free men, hatful of sky and wintersmith. now that there is good writing.First you said you've been put off from reading the books, but the second post sounds like you have read them. Which is it?

Bel-Cam Jos
12-24-2006, 10:02 AM
The movies follow the book stories fairly closely (minus scene drops for time issues, of course), so if one sees the movie, one would be familiar with the storylines, even without having read any of the books. But I see these as books first, rather than movies, so this thread has found its proper home.

Should we start throwing out potential spoilers now for HPatDH? And can an unsubstantiated idea truly be a spoiler?

Mad Slanted Powers
12-24-2006, 10:20 AM
True, you would be familiar with the storylines, but as someone who has read the books before seeing the movies, I feel the movies leave out a lot as well as change stuff. This wasn't too much of a problem for me with the first three movies, but the fourth changed and omitted too much. Part of the reason is that this is where the books started to get a lot bigger.

Jargo
12-24-2006, 12:53 PM
I've read parts and I've seen footage of Rowling reading to kids. I've read a lot of reviews too. and articles. I wouldn't talk about her writing if I hadn't at least read some.

El Chuxter
02-01-2007, 12:11 PM
July 21 cannot arrive soon enough.

:)

General_Grievous
02-01-2007, 02:06 PM
It's coming out this year?! THANK GOD!!!

Dominic Guglieme
02-01-2007, 04:41 PM
Do not get me wrong. I like HP and all. But, in a sense, I am glade it is ending. The last couple of books seemed a but too decompressed. This was compounded by the long wait between chapters.

I will grab this one though. (It comes out right after I will be finishing the teaching license tests....)

Bel-Cam Jos
02-01-2007, 10:32 PM
I just can't believe she released chapter twelve online...

... who'd have thunk that Harry gets cut shaving his legs and turns into a vampiress... :p

Seriously, I will get the book the day it comes out, and since it's in the summer, can read it straight through with few distractions. I will then donate it to the school library where I work.

Slicker
02-01-2007, 10:38 PM
All of these Harry Potter books are carp.

I haven't read one nor have I seen the movies. I'm just making a typical ***hole assumption and running with it. :beard:

Rocketboy
02-01-2007, 11:38 PM

I haven't read one nor have I seen the movies. I'm just making a typical ***hole assumption and running with it. :beard:And I will give my uninformed agreeance.

QLD
02-02-2007, 10:46 AM
AT first, I wrote the books off as kids crap, but I did enjoy the movies. I enjoyed the movies enough, and figured, hell, I'll read the books. I adore the books, and can't wait for the newest one.

CaptainSolo1138
02-02-2007, 11:30 AM

I haven't read one nor have I seen the movies. I'm just making a typical ***hole assumption and running with it. :beard:You suck.

HPatDH is already #1 on pretty much every pre-sale list. Is anyone really surprised?

Slicker
02-02-2007, 11:37 AM
Now you go upstairs and you read those Harry Potter books you love so much!

Dominic Guglieme
02-02-2007, 02:09 PM
AT first, I wrote the books off as kids crap, but I did enjoy the movies. I enjoyed the movies enough, and figured, hell, I'll read the books. I adore the books, and can't wait for the newest one.

I took Children's Literature as an elective about 6 years back. That is how I found out about HP.

And, BCJ, you are a better man than I. I hoarde my books. And, when I give them away, the last people I want to give them to are kids.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-02-2007, 08:24 PM
This is great, but does anyone else think releasing the seventh book eight days after the fifth movie is a little retarded? I might see the movie, bust out number six real quick, and then read number seven.

I like how it's on the 10th anniversary of SS, though.

jjreason
02-03-2007, 12:26 PM
I've given up on the movies, so that's of little consequence to me. I will be buying 2 copies of the book on release day, however, and my children will be horribly neglected until either my wife or I can finish it. :D

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-03-2007, 05:36 PM
This is great, but does anyone else think releasing the seventh book eight days after the fifth movie is a little retarded?

Um, why would that be retarded, exactly? If you're a Potter fan, you'll find time to see both the movie and read the book. Trust me, they'll be alright. :)

I had to chuckle when I bought the last book at about 12:45 at a wal-mart. There were HUUUUUUUUUUGE lines at every register up front, so i took my copy, walked back to electronics, got it checked out in about 45 seconds and then walked by the people in line, casually grinning.

The only problem is that you have to get these things read so effin' fast or somebody will probably spoil it for you. I had HBP read in about a week just to be safe. I see that happening with DH. :thumbsup:

Darth Jax
02-03-2007, 05:44 PM
The only problem is that you have to get these things read so effin' fast or somebody will probably spoil it for you. I had HBP read in about a week just to be safe. I see that happening with DH. :thumbsup:

i'll most likely have it finished before i head to work on monday. with HBP spent the weekend reading it before going anywhere online so not to have anything spoiled.

Mad Slanted Powers
02-03-2007, 05:56 PM
I just realized an anagram of "Deathly Hallows" is "Slow Healthy Lad".

Harry Potter and the Slow Healthy Lad!

Bel-Cam Jos
02-05-2007, 09:24 PM
I just realized an anagram of "Deathly Hallows" is "Slow Healthy Lad".

Harry Potter and the Slow Healthy Lad!Or...

Harry Potter and Thy Shallow Deal.

The only problem is that you have to get these things read so effin' fast or somebody will probably spoil it for you. I had HBP read in about a week just to be safe. I see that happening with DH. :thumbsup: I bought the last one HPatHBP around 9am Saturday and by about 9pm Sunday I was done. I wasn't gonna let nobody spolierize me, so I shut myself up to read and read and read.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-28-2007, 02:41 PM
The covers are up!!

The full version of the US Cover can be found here: http://www.scholastic.com/harrypotter/books/hallows/index.htm

and i've attached the UK cover. :thumbsup:

Lookin' awesome!!!

General_Grievous
03-28-2007, 05:11 PM
Even though there's not much going on in it, I like the US cover a lot more than the UK cover. What's up with the weird expressions on all of their faces? And with all the coins flying around, I'd assume they go to Gringotts at some point.

BTW, how many pages will the book be?

EDIT: Never mind. I just saw that it's 784 pages.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-29-2007, 10:14 AM
I was seriously wondering if the all-black "teaser" cover I've seen in bookstores would end up being the real one. The coloring and expressions on HPDH look a little too happy and uplifting compared to the title itself. Hmm... maybe it'll end with every good character who died coming back to life, Harry finds a long-lost spell for world peace (paxum globolli maybe?), and phoenix tears will turn into flowers (not that all that stuff is so bad). I will be getting it as soon as I can that day (no pre-ordering, Costco warehouse has pallets full of 'em). :thumbsup:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-29-2007, 01:18 PM
Yesterday in Target, I saw a book called "What Will Happen In Harry Potter 7?" It was just a bunch of speculation - not even rumors - of what might possibly happen. What a joke.

Anyway, I've never liked Mary GrandPre's art all that much. Harry's arms are way too long and Voldemort's hand is misshapen, but I wonder, why are they looking in the same direction instead of fighting or something? At least it's not another single-color cover like 5 and 6 were. The UK one is pretty stupid, I mean, for the last one they're just going to have them jumping in coins? Weak. I mean, there's probably more to it, but it's still a pretty uninteresting cover.

General_Grievous
03-29-2007, 08:08 PM
Anyway, I've never liked Mary GrandPre's art all that much.
I liked all of the art except for Order of the Phoenix. That cover seemed boring to me. And yet, it's ironic, since it's my favorite of the Harry Potter books so far (I'm sure it'll be dethroned by Deathly Hallows). But am I the only one noticing that GrandPre's art for Harry on the cover of Deathly Hallows was heavily influenced by Dan Radcliffe? It's almost inspired by Harry's look in Goblet of Fire.

The UK one is pretty stupid, I mean, for the last one they're just going to have them jumping in coins? Weak. I mean, there's probably more to it, but it's still a pretty uninteresting cover.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks so. Still, at least we don't have to worry about it since we don't live in the UK.

mtriv73
03-30-2007, 08:49 AM
Here's my little bit of speculation on the last chapter. I think the last Horocrux is Harry's scar. I think Voldemort was trying to make it when he killed Harry, the love thing screwed it up, and the scar became the horocrux (it would explain why Harry has so many of Vols powers and why LV was so weakened later.) Harry is going to have to sacrifice himself and then Hermione and Ron will take LV down.

I am probably completely off, but if it was my book to write, that's how I would end it.

Actually, on the cover art it does not show Harry's scar on his head. It may just be covered by his hair, but I think it's been visible on the rest of the covers.

El Chuxter
04-02-2007, 10:35 PM
Interesting possibility, mtriv73... Very interesting. I hadn't considered that. It would explain some of the weirdness about the scar.

I saw the same book, JJL. Some idiots will try to make a buck on anything, and other idiots will give them their buck. Did you notice it was put together by the forumites on an HP fansite? That's like "What Will Happen in Revenge of the Sith: The Official SSG Forumite Speculation."

El Chuxter
07-14-2007, 11:06 AM
One week to go.

I haven't had time to re-read the others, but I've watched the movies and am thinking over several factors:

1) I'd forgotten how amazingly powerful Ginny is, usually without realizing it.

2) Either Fred or George will die. Another Weasley could possibly die, too. I doubt it'll be Ron or Ginny.

3) Hagrid is fair game. His death could be as powerful as Sirius' or Dumbledore's, but not actually be a major pitfall in the plot.

4) Has the car been seen since it drove back into the woods in HP&TCOS? She does love to dredge up old plot elements at the weirdest times.

5) Snape will learn the location of the final horcrux over the course of the year, now that he's in better with Voldemort.

6) My guess is that Harry's scar is somehow the final horcrux. Having part of Voldemort residing in his body would explain the weird links between them. Also, Lucius made a comment in the OOTP movie about the significance of the scar. I don't recall if it's in the book, but it points to something more than what we already know.

7) Still convinced that Draco will redeem himself. Possibly by getting the news of the horcrux to Harry from within Voldemort's organization (where Snape presumably whisked him away to).

8) All the major Death Eaters are, I think, dead meat. Especially Bellatrix. I still think Neville will do her in. Actually, on second thought, he may just apprehend her and she somehow kills herself rather than return to Azkaban.

9) Lupin, being the last of James Potter's childhood friends (at least who hasn't turned evil) will die.

10) If they survive, Harry will end up as a Defense Against the Dark Arts professor or an auror. Neville will be an auror or an Herbology professor. Hermione will definitely pursue an academic career. Not sure about Ron.

11) Minerva will remain Headmistress of Hogwarts, assuming it's still standing.

12) I have a feeling that we have not seen the last of Filch, Aunt Petunia, or Kreachur... not by a long shot. Two could be for good or for ill, the third almost certainly for ill.

General_Grievous
07-14-2007, 04:02 PM
One week to go.

Hell yeah! I reread "Half-Blood Prince" last week to prepare.

1) I'd forgotten how amazingly powerful Ginny is, usually without realizing it.

I'm guessing she really holds her own against the Death Eaters in the last book.

2) Either Fred or George will die. Another Weasley could possibly die, too. I doubt it'll be Ron or Ginny.

You think Fred or George will die? I'm guessing Percy, if anyone. I actually can't see Rowling killing any of the Weasleys. I hope it's not Fred and George, they're some of my favorite characters.

3) Hagrid is fair game. His death could be as powerful as Sirius' or Dumbledore's, but not actually be a major pitfall in the plot.

Hagrid does seem a likely candidate.

4) Has the car been seen since it drove back into the woods in HP&TCOS? She does love to dredge up old plot elements at the weirdest times.

I never really thought about that. I thought the car's role in the story was finished after "Chamber of Secrets", but I could be wrong.

5) Snape will learn the location of the final horcrux over the course of the year, now that he's in better with Voldemort.

Does he know the locations of the other ones, like Hufflepuff's cup?

6) My guess is that Harry's scar is somehow the final horcrux. Having part of Voldemort residing in his body would explain the weird links between them. Also, Lucius made a comment in the OOTP movie about the significance of the scar. I don't recall if it's in the book, but it points to something more than what we already know.

After rereading the sixth book, I'm under the impression that something belonging to Ravenclaw or Gryffindor is the final Horcrux.

7) Still convinced that Draco will redeem himself. Possibly by getting the news of the horcrux to Harry from within Voldemort's organization (where Snape presumably whisked him away to).

I think both Draco and Snape will redeem themselves. Snape will probably die in the process.

8) All the major Death Eaters are, I think, dead meat. Especially Bellatrix. I still think Neville will do her in. Actually, on second thought, he may just apprehend her and she somehow kills herself rather than return to Azkaban.

I think Neville will really turn into the great wizard that he wants to be and, as you predicted, apprehends Bellatrix.

9) Lupin, being the last of James Potter's childhood friends (at least who hasn't turned evil) will die.

I agree with this. I think Lupin will die, assuming Rowling isn't playing favorites. I read that Lupin is one of her favorite characters. But Lupin won't die before killing Fenrir Greyback in a werewolf battle. Wormtail should die, but I don't know who will kill him.

10) If they survive, Harry will end up as a Defense Against the Dark Arts professor or an auror. Neville will be an auror or an Herbology professor. Hermione will definitely pursue an academic career. Not sure about Ron.

I can't see anyone becoming an auror, because if Voldemort and the Death Eaters are vanquished, there won't be any need for them. However, maybe both Harry and Neville will work at Hogwarts (as Defense Against the Dark Arts and Herbology professors respectively), but masquerade as undercover Death Eaters. I'm still holding out that Harry and Ginny end up together (if they survive, of course). Ron and Hermione will definitely end up together and they could both work for the Ministry of Magic. All of them would be members of the Order of the Phoenix along with Ginny and Luna, with Tonks and Moody as the main members.

11) Minerva will remain Headmistress of Hogwarts, assuming it's still standing.

I'd bet on that. There are rumors that Hagrid becomes head of Gryffindor House in the seventh book while McGonagall is promoted to Headmistress.

12) I have a feeling that we have not seen the last of Filch, Aunt Petunia, or Kreachur... not by a long shot. Two could be for good or for ill, the third almost certainly for ill.

Aunt Petunia will be back, since Harry is required to go to the Dursleys one last time. Filch will be back, but I don't think that he'll be of much importance. I'm wondering what part Kreacher will play in the last book.

Even though it's only one week away, the wait is killing me.

2-1B
07-14-2007, 04:13 PM
I might be seeing this tomorrow.

God help me.

El Chuxter
07-14-2007, 06:27 PM
If you see it tomorrow, don't spoil it, or we will kill you. No exaggeration. You will die.

Of course, you're probably referring to the Order of the Phoenix movie, not the Deathly Hallows book, in which case, spoil away. :p

GG, are you thinking Godric Gryffindor's sword may be the final horcrux? Strange as it sounds, it could possibly explain how the sorting hat was able to produce it in the Chamber of Secrets, with Harry and one of the other horcruxes present. Loyalty to Dumbledore brought Fawkes, but I'm thinking there was no explanation for why the sword....

General_Grievous
07-14-2007, 07:09 PM
GG, are you thinking Godric Gryffindor's sword may be the final horcrux? Strange as it sounds, it could possibly explain how the sorting hat was able to produce it in the Chamber of Secrets, with Harry and one of the other horcruxes present. Loyalty to Dumbledore brought Fawkes, but I'm thinking there was no explanation for why the sword....

Well, at this point, I'm thinking that anything could be the final horcrux. I've even seen some crazy theories on Harry Potter forums, like the bubblegum wrapper that Neville's parents gave him in the fifth book was a horcrux. :rolleyes: (For the record, Rowling has denied that the gum wrapper plays any part in the story. Fans just blew that one out of proportion.) The least likely to me is Harry's scar, though. Voldemort plans out what he wants to become a horcrux. He had intended to kill Harry, not make him a horcrux. That's just what I think. But I could be wrong, of course. But if Harry's scar is a horcrux, does that necessarily mean he would have to kill himself? It's not his whole body, it's just his scar.

Also, since Nagini (Voldemort's snake) is a horcrux, that could be the next one to get destroyed...possibly by Snape.

CaptainSolo1138
07-14-2007, 08:38 PM
12) I have a feeling that we have not seen the last of Filch, Aunt Petunia, or Kreachur... not by a long shot. Two could be for good or for ill, the third almost certainly for ill.Rowling said that they were going to leave Kreachur out of the "OOTP" movie, but she warned them that they'd have problems down the line if they did that.

I've read some "spoilers" online and all seem believable but somehow "off" at the same time, especially the names of those who don't make it out.

2-1B
07-15-2007, 04:47 AM
If you see it tomorrow, don't spoil it, or we will kill you. No exaggeration. You will die.

Of course, you're probably referring to the Order of the Phoenix movie, not the Deathly Hallows book, in which case, spoil away. :p

Oops, I did mean to post this in the other thread...not that I would have known the difference since I haven't watched any of these since the first one. lol

El Chuxter
07-15-2007, 10:08 AM
Then you're probably going to be rather lost. They don't waste time recapping.

CaptainSolo1138
07-17-2007, 01:29 PM
So someone took the time and effort to post the final 200 or so pages online today. The pictures are OK at best, but they're the real deal, IMO. I'd be more than happy to share the link with those of you who are as impatient as me.:)

On a side note, the serial number of the guy's camera appears on all the photos, so it won't be long til the Feds catch him.

2-1B
07-17-2007, 05:52 PM
share it with me please Caps...I want to know the spoilers.

Rocketboy
07-17-2007, 09:08 PM
Bill and Petey get killed by a slurp spider.

2-1B
07-17-2007, 09:09 PM
I read the spoilers from Caps. It saved me time on reading 7 books and watching 6 more movies.

jjreason
07-18-2007, 05:48 PM
Caesar, go read the synopses on Wikipedia for the books. They take about 5 minutes each and are pretty good going - plus they tell you a lot more about the plot than simply who's dead and who aint. :thumbsup:

El Chuxter
07-18-2007, 09:37 PM
Copies have turned up online, and it looks like deepdiscount is going to be royally screwed for releasing hundreds of copies early.

I'm going to go on the record now: anyone posts spoilers here, and the rest of us will kill you. That's not an exaggeration. You will not be breathing for long.

Thank you for your consideration. :)

Rocketboy
07-18-2007, 10:16 PM
I wish I could remember the names of the people that die.

CaptainSolo1138
07-19-2007, 06:40 AM
I'm going to go on the record now: anyone posts spoilers here, and the rest of us will kill you. That's not an exaggeration. You will not be breathing for long.I could not resist the other day and read the major spoilers from the book but in hindsight I wish I's have left them alone.

This site is safe from me, but I lit up another forum of sorts that I post on. They're a bunch of over-critical douche bags anyway, so they deserved it.:)

2-1B
07-19-2007, 05:22 PM
Copies have turned up online, and it looks like deepdiscount is going to be royally screwed for releasing hundreds of copies early.

I'm going to go on the record now: anyone posts spoilers here, and the rest of us will kill you. That's not an exaggeration. You will not be breathing for long.

Thank you for your consideration. :)

Meh, I'll spoil it if I want, you can't catch me. I am a wizard, you're just a muggle.

:p

CaptainSolo1138
07-19-2007, 06:53 PM
You're a filthy mudblood. :mad:

2-1B
07-19-2007, 09:41 PM
yeah, and you're an owl...or somethin'

El Chuxter
07-19-2007, 09:58 PM
You're a nargle.

CaptainSolo1138
07-19-2007, 11:56 PM
You're a Grint.

El Chuxter
07-20-2007, 12:44 AM
Ouch. You got me good.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-20-2007, 11:52 AM
Now, now. Let's not do anything... inappropriate, ladies and gentlemen. :UmbridgeSmile:

I'm getting my copy tomorrow morning, and I plan to read. And read. And read. Without TV, Internet (is that thing still around?), telephone, smoke signals. Then, I'll post away like, like, a Harry Potter character that's known for being mad or fast...? :confused: :p

General_Grievous
07-20-2007, 06:49 PM
I'm getting my copy tomorrow morning, and I plan to read. And read. And read. Without TV, Internet (is that thing still around?), telephone, smoke signals. Then, I'll post away like, like, a Harry Potter character that's known for being mad or fast...? :confused: :p

Same here, but I'm going at midnight tonight and I'm hoping to finish it by tomorrow afternoon at the latest.

The character you're thinking of is Colin Creevey, by the way. :D

Bel-Cam Jos
07-20-2007, 10:06 PM
Same here, but I'm going at midnight tonight and I'm hoping to finish it by tomorrow afternoon at the latest.

The character you're thinking of is Colin Creevey, by the way. :DNo, I was actually thinking of Moaning Mertle or Hedwig. :rolleyes:

I'm going to try Costco again; they had a couple PALLETS full last book, plus the cheapest price. Just walked in, paid for it, starting reading (while waiting in line), brought it home.

El Chuxter
07-20-2007, 11:29 PM
I've got special permission from my wife to go to WM in a couple of hours. It's the only place around that'll be open at midnight, and she doesn't feel bad about giving them money since they'll be taking a loss.

She does not want to wait for tomorrow. And the sooner she's done, the sooner I can start reading.

CaptainSolo1138
07-21-2007, 09:39 AM
I picked up Mrs. Solo's cop at WM around 2:00am and there were still a ton of people in there buying it and still an entire palette of books.

General_Grievous
07-21-2007, 07:11 PM
MAJOR SPOILERS

I just finished reading the book. And damn was it ever a good book. This isn't a children's story by any means. Lots of death and destruction, yet unexpectedly, it has a happy ending. When J.K. Rowling said there was a lot of death in the book, she meant it. Right from the start, the Death Eaters go nuts with the "Avada Kedavra" spells. There were some expected deaths (Bellatrix Lestrange, Wormtail, Moody), unexpected deaths (Hedwig, Dobby) and some that hit like a ton of bricks. I was hoping that none of the Weasleys would die, and I was devastated that Fred was killed, since he was one of my favorite characters. But the most heart-breaking deaths in the book (to me, at least) were the deaths of Lupin and Tonks. I kind of thought at least Lupin would go, but both of them dying was just sad, especially since they had a baby. Snape exited the series well. He didn't necessarily die a hero, but he had good intentions. I knew Dumbledore had asked him to kill him, but I didn't think that Snape cared for Harry so much, due to the fact that he loved Lily. I also had a feeling that Dumbledore would come back in spirit to help Harry. The final duel between Harry and Voldemort was brief, but it made a lasting impact. I liked how he was finally defeated, but I also loved the fact that Neville killed Nagini, the final horcrux. The book couldn't have ended better with the epilogue, discovering that Harry and Ginny were married and had children, same with Ron and Hermione, and that Neville had become the Herbology Professor at Hogwarts. It was almost the perfect ending, really. I just wish there was more information given on what happened to everyone else, like the rest of the Weasleys, Luna, McGonagall and the other professors. Also, she never stated what Harry's profession was. I'm assuming he became an Auror, but it's hard to tell. Maybe Rowling will divulge this information on her website or something. Now that they're complete, the Harry Potter series can finally take their place in history with the other great fantasy series like Lord of the Rings and the Chronicles of Narnia. It's a bit sad saying goodbye to the books, but hey, we've still got the movies to look forward to.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-22-2007, 01:22 AM
I bought it at 9:30am today, and finished it at 10:30pm tonight, with necessary breaks in between, of course. What do I have to say about it?

Wow.

Wow.

WOW.

I wasn't going to post spoilers at first, to let others who are partway into it post, but I can't help it! So...

SPOILERS BELOW

It took a long time to build up, but then BAM! The fight at Hogwarts was amazing. Yes, the deaths were many, and some were unexpected and some of the living were a shock (didn't think ANY of the Malfoys would've lived, somehow I figured Neville would die in valor). The Epilogue "could" leave open some "further avdentures of the children" stories, but I hope it ends here (read: Clone Wars cartoon and video games as canon, Star Trek fiction, etc.). It became very LOTR and ROTS to me, with the ends tied up (good use of memory liquid in the Persieve to handle the issue of Snape, and the chapter 35 conversation). Awesome, AWESOME book! Best I've read in a long time (probably since The Da Vinci Code despite some other opinions on that novel).

CaptainSolo1138
07-22-2007, 08:24 AM
The Epilogue "could" leave open some "further avdentures of the children" storiesThat's what I thought, too. Rowling always said that this was the last Harry Potter book, so it wouldn't surprise me if she went off on the James and Lilly tangent. People with tons of money like to keep it that way.

jjreason
07-22-2007, 02:43 PM
I loved it. It was much better than Cats. I'll likely read it again.

SPOILERS

What the hell was up with the "flayed" baby, when Harry was speaking to Dumbledore? Was that supposed to represent the level of Voldemort's vulnerability after he killed the part of himself that was inside Harry? Anyone?

EDITED: I've read a few other things. That baby represented the part of Voldy that was exorcised from Harry.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-22-2007, 07:43 PM
Just finished it and loved, nay ADORED IT.

SPOILERS
SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS..............
.................................................. ..
.................................................. ........................
I was worried it would start off slow ala GOF, but Jesus, within the first fifty pages, we already have about 1 1/2 major deaths and crap has already hit the fan. I'll be honest and say that I was pretty nervous when I was a few hundred pages in and there wasn't much going dealing with the remaining horcuxes, but once things got going, whamo, I couldn't put the book down. I did enjoy how Rowling tied several of the things from previous novels into this one as it made you go "oooooooooooooooooh, right." Granted, I haven't had time to reread the series, but someday, I will. I couldn't believe how much death, violence and destruction this one had. The Battle of Hogwarts felt epic, like Minias Tirith LOTR:ROTK epic. I was really upset when Fred died and Tonks and Lupin; my God! One of my friends said she was PO'd that we didn't see their actual deaths, but I disagree. I did enjoy some of the great funny moments this book had and i was damn near cheering when Hermione finally planted one on Ron, in the middle of a war no less!! I really loved Neville and his role in the book as he was "that guy" in the first few novels that got the worst of everything. And how about Molly Weasley dropping the "B" bomb and owning Bellatrix! That was awesome!! I was also very moved and touched by some of the more emotional and existential moments, like when Harry is thinking about death and knowingly moving towards the woods and Voldemort.

I just couldn't put the book down at all. I was that taken in and that "enchanted" if you will by it. Amazing novel and a terrific ending to a terrific series. :thumbsup:

end spoilers!!

(that should be enough) :thumbsup:

Bel-Cam Jos
07-23-2007, 12:20 PM
MORE SPOILERS.

So, do we really know if Snape was a "friend or foe" for sure? He sure played his roles on both sides VERY well, to the point that it's not easy to tell whether he was supporting Dumbledore by pretending to follow Voldy, or vice versa.

And Rowling really went Seinfeld final episode on us, by including virtually every character (dead or alive) she introduced in the series (no Moaning Mertle, however... was there something that changed about her that I missed?).

General_Grievous
07-23-2007, 12:22 PM
SPOILERS AGAIN

And how about Molly Weasley dropping the "B" bomb and owning Bellatrix! That was awesome!!

That was one of my favorite parts in the book. It was one of the parts where I just felt like cheering. There were a lot of those moments in the Battle of Hogwarts, like Hermione finally kissing Ron, Neville killing Nagini, Voldemort being defeated...

I'm wondering, however, how they're going to adapt this into a movie. There's so much stuff that's important that can't possibly be cut.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-23-2007, 12:33 PM
SPOILERS AGAIN

I'm wondering, however, how they're going to adapt this into a movie. There's so much stuff that's important that can't possibly be cut.Well, they can go montage, time lapse during the tent-hopping chapters, or come up with a different/quicker way to get Griff's sword. I was wondering how they'd get it to fit a PG-13 rating, because as mentioned before, this is not a kids' film, but it's not bad enough for R.

jjreason
07-23-2007, 03:59 PM
BCJ, there was nothing else about Moaning Myrtle that I can think of - I believe her "life" just kept on keeping on, much the same as the other ghosts.

Ron's mum... Jeez, I felt like cheering as well. I wouldn't have guessed she'd take care of Bellatrix, but couldn't have picked a better person to do it, either.

And Neville....just Neville being "the Man" at Hogwarts had me misty - when he killed the snake I was literally choked up. Fan-friggin-tastic.

I also agree with BCJ on this being an "easy" (with respect to the latter Harry Potter books) adaptation - I think 4 and 5 had more material and they seem to have done alright there (I haven't seen 5 yet, but have heard it was quite good).

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-23-2007, 11:13 PM
Spoilers ahead, but that kind of goes without saying at this point.

Damn.

Just . . . damn.

I just finished like 20 minutes ago and was sobbing like a little b**** during the epilogue (for some reason, happy things like that get me more emotional than sad things, like the end of ROTJ). I thought everything throughout was handled so perfectly. More closure on the background characters would have been nice, but that just leaves it up to the reader.

Now that it's all over, I eventually want to go back and read through all seven, knowing now (hopefully) where all the clues and things are. DH seemed really to bring every single minor character back for at least a mention (Colin Creevey, dead?!?!?!), and I thought it was cool how Dumbledore's fight with Grendelwald was finally elaborated upon. I had feared that Dumbledore was going to turn out evil, but as he always was for giving people second chances, this did not matter. I was really glad to see Snape's story come to a good, proper close. Aunt Petunia didn't amount to anything much other than that she was jealous but had no actual magical power; Neville's relation to the prophecy also amounted to nothing, as was somewhat revealed in HBP, but he was still awesome in here.

Oh, and I'm really glad that none of the principal three or Hagrid died. I was worried near the beginning that Hagrid would, near the end that Harry would, and throughout that the other two would. But it's all good. :thumbsup:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-24-2007, 12:25 AM
Oh, and I'm really glad that none of the principal three or Hagrid died. I was worried near the beginning that Hagrid would, near the end that Harry would, and throughout that the other two would. But it's all good. :thumbsup:

Yeah, when Hagrid ran off, trying to save both the students and the spiders, and Harry was screaming after him, I kept thinking, "well, that's it for him..dammit!!" but I was happy that he carried what he thought was Harry's body back to Hogwarts. Made sense to have the one who tracked him down to carry him back to Hogwarts...if he was, ya know. dead. :thumbsup:

jjreason
07-24-2007, 05:33 PM
That visual - Hagrid carrying Harry - really affected my wife. She said she was nearly in tears just from imagining how that must have looked to all our heroes.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-25-2007, 11:45 AM
There were many instances in this book when I thought about how that scene/event would translate to the big screen, and I was extremely shocked at the last sentences of chapter 34.

Any thoughts on the title of the book? For everyone wondering what "deathly hallows" meant? I didn't think it would be a plural noun, rather more of a place.

CaptainSolo1138
07-25-2007, 11:56 AM
Any thoughts on the title of the book? For everyone wondering what "deathly hallows" meant? I didn't think it would be a plural noun, rather more of a place.I haven't read it yet (I'm still only about a quarter of the way through HBP) but one of the first things I asked my wife when she finished is what the title meant. I assumed it was the new "Forbidden Forest" or whatever and where Harry would eventually meet Voldy, not a series of items.

jjreason
07-25-2007, 01:28 PM
I was surprised too (about the meaning of the title) - I was of the mind it would mean a place/places as well (I was envisioning dungeons for some reason).

My copy is out of town with my wife - what was the last sentence of Chapter 34?

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-25-2007, 03:16 PM
I was surprised too (about the meaning of the title) - I was of the mind it would mean a place/places as well (I was envisioning dungeons for some reason).

My copy is out of town with my wife - what was the last sentence of Chapter 34?

"He saw the mouth move and a flash of green light, and everything was gone."

It's when Harry gets taken out by the killing curse.

DarkArtist
07-25-2007, 05:01 PM
just finished reading the book and all in all not one of the best ( love Order of the Phoenix) but still a great read. My favorite part is the Epilogue at the end. Can't wait to see that one the big screen. Here's hoping that since this is the last book of the series that the movie will be the most true to the book and not cut anything important out.

jjreason
07-26-2007, 10:32 PM
Yeah, that will be interesting to see at the movies. Good... no, GREAT stuff there. :thumbsup:

RooJay
07-27-2007, 06:52 AM
Frikkin' Entertainment Weekly gave away the death toll in pictorial form right there in plain view in the latest issue. And I'm a book behind! They posted a blurb stating that I should not read the article if I was avoiding spoilers, but they didn't mention anything about keeping my eyes closed as I flipped the pages to get to the reviews section. I'm planning on sending them a nasty e-mail as a thank you. Look for me in their letters column!:whip:

jjreason
07-27-2007, 02:43 PM
Same thing (well, close to the same thing) happened to me with ROTS - stupid movie magazines...... :upset:

General_Grievous
07-30-2007, 06:17 PM
Frikkin' Entertainment Weekly gave away the death toll in pictorial form right there in plain view in the latest issue. And I'm a book behind! They posted a blurb stating that I should not read the article if I was avoiding spoilers, but they didn't mention anything about keeping my eyes closed as I flipped the pages to get to the reviews section. I'm planning on sending them a nasty e-mail as a thank you. Look for me in their letters column!:whip:

Well, to be fair, they did include spoiler warnings.

RooJay
07-31-2007, 01:14 AM
Well, to be fair, they did include spoiler warnings.

Yeah, they warned me not to read, which I still haven't done. They didn't say anything about not turning the pages, which I had to do in order to enjoy the rest of my magazine.

Perhaps they should've put all the spoiler stuff at the very back of the magazine, or maybe just done it in writing rather than in pictorial form.

El Chuxter
08-02-2007, 01:04 AM
Wow.

This is the best book I've read in a very, very long time.

This book pwns the rest of the series.

I cannot state how glad I am that Rowling didn't go Stephen King or George Lucas and end on a turdly note.

When Hedwig bought it, I knew all bets were off. And still I got choked up over poor Dobby.

I think the two most emotionally powerful bits were Harry asking the ghosts of Lupin, Sirius, and his parents what death was like; and the revelation of Albus Potter's middle name.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-02-2007, 01:47 AM
I think the two most emotionally powerful bits were Harry asking the ghosts of Lupin, Sirius, and his parents what death was like; and the revelation of Albus Potter's middle name.Interesting that his initials are A.S.P.

General_Grievous
08-02-2007, 02:39 PM
Wow.

This is the best book I've read in a very, very long time.

This book pwns the rest of the series.

Agreed, most definitely. For me, it's probably my favorite book of all time. I'm dead serious about it too.

Interesting that his initials are A.S.P.

Yeah, a lot of people online are speculating that because of that, he'll end up in Slytherin. :rolleyes: With Harry and Ginny as parents, he's practically a Gryffindor before he even gets to Hogwarts. On another note, I think the notoriety of Slytherin house diminished after Voldemort's death. I think it lost its negative reputation after the fall of the dark lord.

jjreason
08-02-2007, 04:06 PM
Wow.

I think the two most emotionally powerful bits were Harry asking the ghosts of Lupin, Sirius, and his parents what death was like; and the revelation of Albus Potter's middle name.

For me it was Molly Weasley, yelling at Lestrange about keeping away from her kids. Wow.

General_Grievous
08-02-2007, 04:49 PM
For me it was Molly Weasley, yelling at Lestrange about keeping away from her kids. Wow.

That part just made me want to cheer.

El Chuxter
08-02-2007, 05:58 PM
Yeah, a lot of people online are speculating that because of that, he'll end up in Slytherin. :rolleyes:

Call me nuts, but I'm going to speculate this is the end of the series. Everything else is up to our imaginations.

One question: does it state that Bellatrix is dead? I got the impression Molly just stunned her, and she was probably carted back off to jail once everything sorta died down.

General_Grievous
08-02-2007, 06:04 PM
One question: does it state that Bellatrix is dead? I got the impression Molly just stunned her, and she was probably carted back off to jail once everything sorta died down.

It doesn't actually say she's dead, but I think from Voldemort's cry of agony, she is. I definitely think that Molly used Avada Kedavra on her. Due to Fred's death, she sort of became blood drunk, and she was ready to kill.

RooJay
08-03-2007, 02:36 AM
I fully expect J.K. to take a bit of a break after this, maybe try a different story with a different subject matter, but I for one would love to see an occasional book or even series featuring the adult Harry Potter in a few years or so.:thumbsup:

General_Grievous
08-03-2007, 12:19 PM
I think that she's completely done with Harry Potter. At least I hope she is. Anything more would be overkill. I don't think she'll see the same success with other books, but it doesn't even matter since she's richer than the queen, anyway.

jjreason
08-03-2007, 12:23 PM
My interpretation, Chux, was that Molly killed Bellatrix. I'm planning on re-reading the last 100 pages or so over my days off here, just to go back and see if I missed anything else (I didn't put ASP together at all, for example) due to the feverish pace at which the story happens.

DarthQuack
08-03-2007, 12:57 PM
What was the big significance about ASP for Harry's child's initials? I read everything, maybe I just forgot about something?

jjreason
08-03-2007, 01:54 PM
An asp is a venomous snake, I think you were looking too hard. :D

Mad Slanted Powers
08-03-2007, 06:49 PM
An asp is a venomous snake, I think you were looking too hard. :DAnd part of a great line from Raiders of the Lost Ark - "Asps. Very dangerous. You go first."

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-03-2007, 08:36 PM
Here (http://the-leaky-cauldron.org/2007/7/30/j-k-rowling-web-chat-transcript) is the transcript of a web chat JK Rowling had a few days ago. It has quite a few interesting tidbits about life after Hogwarts and whatnot.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-04-2007, 09:21 AM
She was on Dateline NBC last weekend, and she revealed the "after" details of the surviving characters' occupations, as well as reactions before and after learning of characters who died.

DarthQuack
08-04-2007, 10:44 AM
I'm glad we got a chance to get a few more answers.

jjreason
08-06-2007, 06:45 AM
There's a TON there - including an explanation of how Neville got Gryffindor's sword, which was my big question. :thumbsup:

Bel-Cam Jos
08-09-2007, 06:49 PM
I just finished reading a "what'll happen in HP #7?" book titled The End of Harry Potter? today. Might be an interesting thing, to laugh at outrageous, scratch your head at confusing, and nod approvingly at dead-on claims. I've seen a couple others like this out there. This book does an amazing job of recapping specific details from the whole series, as well as digging up potential influences in literature that JKR may've used.

Beast
10-20-2007, 09:02 AM
Some interesting news regarding one of the much loved J.K. characters:

NEW YORK - Harry Potter fans, the rumors are true: Albus Dumbledore, master wizard and Headmaster of Hogwarts, is gay. J.K. Rowling, author of the mega-selling fantasy series that ended last summer, outed the beloved character Friday night while appearing before a full house at Carnegie Hall.

After reading briefly from the final book, "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows," she took questions from audience members.

She was asked by one young fan whether Dumbledore finds "true love."

"Dumbledore is gay," the author responded to gasps and applause.

She then explained that Dumbledore was smitten with rival Gellert Grindelwald, whom he defeated long ago in a battle between good and bad wizards. "Falling in love can blind us to an extent," Rowling said of Dumbledore's feelings, adding that Dumbledore was "horribly, terribly let down."

Dumbledore's love, she observed, was his "great tragedy."

"Oh, my god," Rowling concluded with a laugh, "the fan fiction."

Potter readers on fan sites and elsewhere on the Internet have speculated on the sexuality of Dumbledore, noting that he has no close relationship with women and a mysterious, troubled past. And explicit scenes with Dumbledore already have appeared in fan fiction.

Rowling told the audience that while working on the planned sixth Potter film, "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince," she spotted a reference in the script to a girl who once was of interest to Dumbledore. A note was duly passed to director David Yates, revealing the truth about her character.

Rowling, finishing a brief "Open Book Tour" of the United States, her first tour here since 2000, also said that she regarded her Potter books as a "prolonged argument for tolerance" and urged her fans to "question authority."

Not everyone likes her work, Rowling said, likely referring to Christian groups that have alleged the books promote witchcraft. Her news about Dumbledore, she said, will give them one more reason.

CaptainSolo1138
10-20-2007, 09:05 AM
Ah, ya beat me to it, JJBeast!

What a stupid thing to do. She must have a warehouse of books left to sell. Now I can almost assure you now that righties are going to call into question the relationship Harry had with him.:rolleyes:

Beast
10-20-2007, 09:24 AM
Ah, ya beat me to it, JJBeast!

What a stupid thing to do. She must have a warehouse of books left to sell. Now I can almost assure you now that righties are going to call into question the relationship Harry had with him.:rolleyes:
I don't consider it stupid. I'm actually rather impressed she made one of the characters gay. Though I would have been more impressed if she actually had the guts to have confirmed it in the actual books instead of like this. As for the aformentioned 'Righties', like they ever needed a legit reason to bash the books. :p

General_Grievous
10-20-2007, 11:06 AM
This is interesting news, to say the least. However, it is a bit odd that she waited until four months after the final book was released to reveal this piece of information.

El Chuxter
10-20-2007, 11:22 AM
There's a lot more backstory that isn't in the books. She'd decided what every character was doing in the future, for example, but only a few came up in the epilogue. Dumbledore is consistent with the character throughout the book, so this seems like something she always had in mind but that never came up (or maybe she was worried about putting into what was considered a kids' book).

Apparently the reason it came up is because a fan asked about it at a speech. Nothing more to it.

darthvyn
10-20-2007, 01:27 PM
interesting to think whether or not this is even a hot-button issue in the wizarding world...

El Chuxter
10-20-2007, 04:59 PM
interesting to think whether or not this is even a hot-button issue in the wizarding world...

It used to be, up until Dumbledore became headmaster at Hogwarts. Then a bunch of conservative wizard radio hosts made a stink, and mysteriously turned into newts. No one has ever brought it up since.

Truth be told, I always thought Dumbledore was more asexual than anything else. In any case, I think he was too old when we saw him in the books to be chasing tail of either gender.

jjreason
10-20-2007, 06:43 PM
I don't know, Chux, I always pictured him with that certain twinkle in his eye. :D

Mad Slanted Powers
10-20-2007, 08:45 PM
So, is the secret code among gay wizards, "You show me your wand, and I'll show you mine?"

CaptainSolo1138
10-20-2007, 08:51 PM
"Accio butt lube!"

El Chuxter
10-20-2007, 09:25 PM
That is so incredibly, unspeakably wrong, and yet so funny in spite of it.

Beast
10-20-2007, 09:51 PM
That is so incredibly, unspeakably wrong, and yet so funny in spite of it.
You haven't seen the photoshopped image of Dumbledore with the infamous word balloon from Clerks. Now that's wrong on so many levels.

El Chuxter
10-22-2007, 02:15 PM
Can't say that I have. :D

I think it's kinda funny how people are making such a big deal about this being a major step in tolerance for homosexuals in children's literature, and are comparing it to the book where two male penguins raise a baby penguin (penglet?). Isn't that going a bit out of proportion? Had Dumbledore said, "Harry, I'm gay," then maybe it would be. But an author telling people about this fact totally outside the narrative is totally different from including it in the book.

Beast
10-22-2007, 03:23 PM
Can't say that I have. :D

I think it's kinda funny how people are making such a big deal about this being a major step in tolerance for homosexuals in children's literature, and are comparing it to the book where two male penguins raise a baby penguin (penglet?). Isn't that going a bit out of proportion? Had Dumbledore said, "Harry, I'm gay," then maybe it would be. But an author telling people about this fact totally outside the narrative is totally different from including it in the book.
I totally agree with you there.

Though it is teased in one of the books, in regard to Gellert Grindelwald.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-22-2007, 06:32 PM
In the whole transcript, as on the-leaky-cauldron.org or whatever it is (find your own damn link), she also said that Neville married Hannah Abbott, and Hagrid never married anyone. So there you go.

jjreason
10-22-2007, 06:35 PM
I love Neville. The Geeks shall inherit the earth. :love:

El Chuxter
10-22-2007, 06:56 PM
Who did Voldemort He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named have a crush on?

jjreason
10-22-2007, 08:47 PM
Prof. Quirrel - he actually got inside him at one point. :sur:

CaptainSolo1138
10-23-2007, 10:27 AM
Prof. Quirrel - he actually got inside him at one point. :sur:
Damn fine comment, sir.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-05-2008, 09:50 PM
I bought the Tales of the Beedle Bard today. It's about 100 pgs. I don't know why I bought it, but after I read it, it'll be given away to a place of reading.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-06-2008, 12:23 AM
This keeps slipping in and out of my awareness. I'll likely give it a read since I enjoyed the other HP "EU."