PDA

View Full Version : Why does starwars.com have a huge ad of a guy in a bathtub?

El Chuxter
12-22-2006, 02:32 PM
I let my Hyperspace membership lapse. It wasn't worth the money to get a crappy magazine that goes downhill with each subsequent issue, pointless (supposedly exclusive) pictures of video games I have no interest in, and rumored discounts through the shopstarwars online store (I've never seen an item that I wanted that was eligible).

But I went on the site just now, for the first time in months, to look up something in the Databank.

Jeez! I have never seen a site with that many ads! Ads on the top of the page, ads that pop up instead of search results, ads, ads, ads, ads.

It really makes the page look bad to those who are less than hardcore fans. And advising some casual user, who pulled up the site after reading the URL off the packaging for a new toy or DVD, to buy an overpriced subscription, is pretty poor marketing for a site that should itself theoretically be an ad for the Star Wars brand, not a pay service.

And why aren't the ads anything that pertains in the slightest to Star Wars or even to the target demographic of the site? I don't want to look up the name of the model who portrayed Mara Jade and see an ad of some dude washing his naughties in the bathtub.

I know it's not the case, but the site makes it look like Lucas is down to his last nickel, doing anything to get money to feed his kids.

C5Jedi
12-22-2006, 03:17 PM
I let my Hyperspace membership lapse. It wasn't worth the money to get a crappy magazine that goes downhill with each subsequent issue, pointless (supposedly exclusive) pictures of video games I have no interest in, and rumored discounts through the shopstarwars online store (I've never seen an item that I wanted that was eligible).

I couldn't agree more. After being a member since the original Bantha Tracks I won't be renewing. Their magazine and especially the membership kit have become a joke. I noticed in their recent online survey they had no areas for comments on the fan club. They just wanted to know what kind of cereal I ate, video games I played, etc.. :mad: :stupid:

JediTricks
12-22-2006, 03:25 PM
Ever since they first started putting ads on a site that's already a giant advertisement for Star Wars in the first place, I've been vocal about my distaste for the practice, but over the last 2 years they've gotten especially aggressive with FPAs and page-overs, it's really quite horrible. Those full page ads are the worst now because they're on EVERY page and they're not separate URLs, they're CSS so it's impossible to escape them. They aren't doing as many flash-over-page ads anymore, those are so awful every time I see one I stop visiting the site for a week, good job. And as mentioned, none of these ads are ever targeted, they're random trash.

BTW, the model/actress is Shannon Baska now known as Shannon McRandle.

Rocketboy
12-22-2006, 06:58 PM
The whole Hyperspace thing is a slap in the face to Star Wars fans.

El Chuxter
12-22-2006, 07:06 PM
I'm really getting the impression from crap like Hyperspace (and especially the current tone of the Insider and the little bundles of ads they sent and called a membership kit), and Sansweet's latest SW "Spectacular" at Comic-Con ("I'm going to repeat months-old ads and make you waste two hours in the hopes of a payoff that never materializes"), that Lucasfilm as a company thinks all fans are brainless lemmings, and we should pay them to essentially make our own fun.

And that George himself is so separated from reality that he not only allows Lucasfilm to do this, but he still believes there's enough character development in Anakin to make his shift from greatest hero to worst villain even remotely plausible.

There's no corporate respect for the underlying story, as there seem to be at (roughly) equivalent companies and foundations built around LOTR, Narnia, and Harry Potter. And I'm no longer willing to pay them for nothing. (Figures and video games, and comics and books that don't involve stupid post-ROTJ Sith, I'm more willing to pay for. :D)

2-1B
12-23-2006, 08:10 PM
It's a bathtub because George sent the franchise down the drain.

Jargo
12-24-2006, 01:43 PM
I spent an hour last night cruising SW.com looking for that ad. all i got was some full page game ad. featuring soldiers and tanks and whatever. I'm miffed now. :(

Mad Slanted Powers
12-24-2006, 03:16 PM
Where are these ads you speak of? I just went to starwars.com and looked around a few links and didn't come across any intrusive or unrelated ads. I see more ads on the right side of this page, which I think was part of the reason this site used to be so slow for me when I had dial-up. I think I still had issues when I got broadband, but that was before I got a new computer. Of course, all these ads are related to Star Wars collecting, so they are certainly appropriate for a site such as this.

Edit - Never mind, I just saw an X-Box ad when I clicked another link. It did have a link to skip the ad though.

bobafrett
12-25-2006, 01:28 AM
I got an e-mail from Mary Franklin saying that I was on the Star Wars bantha tracks online, but since I long let my subscription lapse, I e-mailed her back telling her that I could not see the pictures because the I had not renewed my membership, mostly because the fan club kit sucked, and if they offered a better membership package, I would consider renewing. She wrote me back thanking my for my input, and said she would consider a better membership package.

Mad Slanted Powers
12-25-2006, 02:21 AM
I got an e-mail from Mary Franklin saying that I was on the Star Wars bantha tracks online, but since I long let my subscription lapse, I e-mailed her back telling her that I could not see the pictures because the I had not renewed my membership, mostly because the fan club kit sucked, and if they offered a better membership package, I would consider renewing. She wrote me back thanking my for my input, and said she would consider a better membership package.The last membership package had a couple interesting things in it, but the one before that was year old stuff that was cleared out from the Paizo era. One thing included was an animation cel or something, and it was just a rock. I felt like Charlie Brown on Halloween.

jedi master sal
12-25-2006, 03:45 AM
I got an e-mail from Mary Franklin saying that I was on the Star Wars bantha tracks online, but since I long let my subscription lapse, I e-mailed her back telling her that I could not see the pictures because the I had not renewed my membership, mostly because the fan club kit sucked, and if they offered a better membership package, I would consider renewing. She wrote me back thanking my for my input, and said she would consider a better membership package.

Heh, how do you think I feel. I was a contributing writer, though not credited. (Except for my many postings in the "Top Ten" polls.) I even talked to Mary at CIII specifically. She and I had been talking for months and when I mentioned after CIII suggestions on how I'd run it better/differently, she clammed up. I guess I hit a cord. Well, needless to say I was not needed for anymore writing and I gave up my membership.

Yes, I'd like to see the added content, but after all of the MANY thousands of dollars I've put into SW, the site should just plain be FREE. ALL of it.

JediTricks
12-27-2006, 08:20 PM
It's a bathtub because George sent the franchise down the drain.Good one! I think I like this Caesar more than the fawning Caesar. :p (they're both just an act anyway)

AWWW C'MON!!!! I was just on SW.com experimenting how to get a FPA (full page ad), I clicked the first link on the page and whammo, FPA of a guy in a pool getting hit by a whale for some game. Anyway, that wasn't the surprise part, the surprise part was after I clicked the continue on link, there was a banner on top for PS3 and it somehow took the click for the "continue" link on the FPA as a click for itself as well and opened its link into a new browser window. It doesn't get much sleazier than that.

2-1B
01-03-2007, 11:09 PM
Good one! I think I like this Caesar more than the fawning Caesar. :p (they're both just an act anyway)

many thanks ! :grin:
my New Year's Resolution (in addition to starting smoking) is to dump on Star Wars when the opportunity arises. I just decided to start a little early. lol lol lol

Slicker
01-03-2007, 11:30 PM
Maybe it depends on time of day because I went there (the first time in at LEAST 6 months) and I clicked on at least 10 links and nothing.

I wanted a legit reason to not go there other than my not wanting to pay and my complete and utter knowledge of Star Wars doesn't warrant me going their...