PDA

View Full Version : Why didn't Padme's parents get one of the twins?

bigbarada
12-28-2006, 12:53 AM
This is something that struck me as odd when I was watching Ep3 again recently.

It's kind of funny that Bail Organa "claims" Leia like she's a stray puppy and Yoda says that Luke belongs with "his family" on Tatooine, even though he doesn't have any living blood-relatives on Tatooine.

Why did they never even consider sending one of the twins to Padme's family on Naboo? Was it just thought too risky with both Vader and Palpatine having some kind of connection to Naboo?

But that's kind of wierd too, since Padme hides out on her homeworld very successfully in Ep2. So you would think that Yoda and Obi-Wan would consider it a viable option, and the planet is very remote according to Ep1. At least more remote than Alderaan which seems to always be in the limelight (quite literally in Ep4 :D ).

Wouldn't the Naboo coroners have advanced enough medical technology that they would know that she had recently given birth when they did her autopsy? And you know they would do an autopsy with the cause of death being something as dubious as a "broken heart." :rolleyes: Don't you think they would at least ask where the baby was? What would Yoda, Obi-Wan and Bail tell them? That the baby died at birth and they just shot it out an airlock?

I'll admit the only reason this annoys me is that I've always thought that Naboo could just as easily have been named Alderaan and it would simplify the storyline so much. Plus this way we would actually be watching a planet that has a substantial history in the saga up to that point being wiped out of existence. This would actually give it's destruction in Ep4 some emotional resonance.

Now it's just a convoluted mess. How is Leia a princess? Was Bail king of Alderaan? I thought he was a senator? Did he get elected king after serving his term as senator? :frus:

Ep3 frustrates me so bad, because if Ep1 and 2 had been better movies, it could have been a great movie.

I hope this hasn't been brought up before (it just dawned on me that I didn't do a very thorough search of the forums before posting this, but I don't want to retype it).

El Chuxter
12-28-2006, 10:00 AM
Bail was King, which is apparently a title that's pretty common in SW.

I guess maybe Padme's parents were too high-profile, that it might raise questions if they suddenly had a baby, whereas Bail and Owen were both the right age to have kids and had been trying, so it was less obvious that they were adopted.

Of course, that doesn't answer the question of why Padme's sister didn't get one of the kids, or why Owen thought it would be a clever idea to have Luke call him "Uncle" when the only possible father in such a case would be Anakin. :rolleyes:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-28-2006, 12:58 PM
I think it would have been a little bit too obvious if Padmé's parents suddenly showed up with a kid or two. I know they could be relatively well-hidden, but if Luke or Leia ended up in their possession it would have raised too many questions too quickly.

Of course, that doesn't answer the question of why Padme's sister didn't get one of the kids, or why Owen thought it would be a clever idea to have Luke call him "Uncle" when the only possible father in such a case would be Anakin.

I don't know about the sister, but the fact that Owen wasn't Luke's father didn't really matter. Nobody knew that Vader was Anakin (everyone thought Anakin was killed in the Temple assault), and Luke didn't even know that Anakin was a Jedi, so obviously Owen was pretty good at keeping secrets from him.

El Chuxter
12-28-2006, 01:46 PM
Yeah, but if Palpatine were to try to track down Padme's kid(s) and determine their fate (keep in mind that, as far as Yoda and Obi-Wan know, Vader is dead), Tatooine would be one of the most logical places to look. If Anakin's stepbrother suddenly has a kid he's calling his nephew, yet has no full siblings and only Anakin as a stepbrother, it looks like it would be pretty obvious.

Jargo
12-28-2006, 02:25 PM
the outer core was harder to police than the inner core. and not high on the empires priorities anyway. and from the outer core Palpatine didn't expect anything worthy of a challenge to arise. the harshness of tatooine would no doubt yield a high mortality rate among infants anyway. so it's possible if palpatine did consider this he would have been too cocksure and assumed the child had no chance. he didn't know about the second child.

Padmes sister would have ben a good choice for parent, finding a suitable male partner to act as the father would have been easy. however, as padme hails from naboo it would be one of the first places looked at. so it wouldn't have been a safe option.

I'm sure the jedi and Organa had words with the naboo elite and it was discussed that the child should go to a different homeworld and that Organa and his wife could afford the child a safer life. that rearing Leia to a life in politics and charitable works like her mother would be a fitting tribute to Padme.

given the nature of the N|aboo uprising and padmes outspoken opposition to Palpatines warmongering and corruption of the senate naboo would likely have been deemed a risky political hot potato. and as it was a rich planet would also likely have been a target for imperial 'mining'.

I suppose regarding the Luke and Owen relationship, as Luke grew up Owen may have called Luke 'son' in a term of endearment way. much the same as many older men call anyone younger 'son'. so it's possible that no suspicion was aroused during Lukes life on tatooine. it's also possible that the nephew link used was via Beru's side of the family. and out here in the sticks of the anchorhead region it's doubtful that imperials would venture near. they seemed more concerned with the townships and spaceports than podunk little farms. It's only on the orders of vader that they start combing tatooine after the droids land there.
It's also possible that Luke had fake ID. He knew no different so he would have taken it as truth whatever his ID said. and Owen was a trusted farmer to Tatooine locals so why would anyone doubt his word?

And say Palpatine summised that Leia was the child of Padme, she displayed no force ability, offered no threat to him. she was just a pesky daughter of a bothersome senator. nothing she did bothered Palpatine and Vader much until the run in with the imperials prior to the capture of the Tantive IV at the start of ANH. By which time Palpatine would have known of Organa's involvement in the rebellion and thus the reason why the destruction of Alderaan was so amusing to the Imperials. And also why it was jointly important to terminate Leia.

that's how i see it anyway.

General_Grievous
12-28-2006, 07:53 PM
Plus, Padme's parents never knew the babies survived. I remember reading (I think in either the novel or comic) that at her funeral, Padme was made to appear pregnant. You can also see the bump in the funeral scene, I believe. This was mainly done to keep Vader and Palpatine from knowing of their existence.

jedi master sal
12-29-2006, 07:12 AM
Okay, let's give this a run down.
For one, as stated already, it's TOO obvious. Her parents showing up with a baby....no way.
Also, being that they (the babies) are strong in the force, you'd have to believe that Palpatine (maybe paying a visit to Naboo after the funeral of Padme) would have sense the child.
I believe that Palpatine knew Padme wasn't dead at the time he told Vader she was, just so he could finally bring Anakin fully over to the Darkside.
Also, while losing Padme was a great deal of pain in his life, the loss of his mother in his arms, as well as the slave servitude he had to endure on Tatooine, made it a fairly safe bet that he (Anakin/Vader) would never want to step foot on the planet again. Hence why he doesn't go with the search party to look for the droids.
IIRC, Beru wasn't able to have children either, possibly due to the conditions of Tatooine. Since taking the twins to their natural "blood" relations was out of the question, then Yoda chose the next best thing in giving Luke to his grandmother's "second" family.

Kidhuman
12-29-2006, 08:31 AM
They didnt get one of the kids becuase they lost the lottery. Yoda pulled names from a hat and Bail and Owen got the nods.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-29-2006, 01:15 PM
Also, while losing Padme was a great deal of pain in his life, the loss of his mother in his arms, as well as the slave servitude he had to endure on Tatooine, made it a fairly safe bet that he (Anakin/Vader) would never want to step foot on the planet again. Hence why he doesn't go with the search party to look for the droids.
Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader goes into detail on this aspect. When Palpatine makes Vader go back to the Jedi Temple after he assaulted it, the memories of his former life come rushing back and are too painful for him to confront. It mentions that he felt the same would happen on Tatooine and Naboo, which is why he steered clear of those places.

Recognizing his kids wasn't really a problem, either. In ANH and ESB, he comes face to face with Leia and doesn't seem to suspect a thing. He senses that Luke is strong with the Force in ANH, but doesn't really connect the dots until he later learns that his last name was Skywalker (leaving it as that was just stupid, same for Obi-Wan).

And, neither Vader nor Palpatine knew that Padmé was carrying twins, so they wouldn't have looked for both kids. Even if they had found and killed one of them, the other would have defeated the Sith.

El Chuxter
12-29-2006, 01:40 PM
However, if you're getting into EU, Inquisitor Malorum (a Dark Side user, not nearly on par with a Jedi or Sith, who actually had an office in the ruins of the Temple -- we can probably assume he was one of the first Hands) suspected Padme had given birth to a child who'd been hidden somewhere. He'd even gotten so far as Polis Massa. I've not read all the books, but I'm willing to bet he dies facing Ferus on Naboo, meaning he'd gotten even closer to the truth.

If a flunky can get that close to one of the greatest secrets in the galaxy, imagine what would have happened if Palpatine (or a more powerful Hand, like Mara Jade prior to her conversion) had set their sights on this mystery.

Obi-Wan and Yoda should not have taken the chance of putting Luke in Owen's care. At least Obi-Wan was smart enough to stay around to guard him.

JediTricks
12-29-2006, 08:20 PM
The reason is because Lucas made the OT first and had no choice. Now as to why he made this plothole possible in the PT, I do not know, Padme's family wasn't important or famous the way Bail Organa was, so they seem like a fine choice to dump one kid with.

bigbarada
12-29-2006, 10:04 PM
The reason is because Lucas made the OT first and had no choice. Now as to why he made this plothole possible in the PT, I do not know, Padme's family wasn't important or famous the way Bail Organa was, so they seem like a fine choice to dump one kid with.

:D That was actually my point all along. Bail Organa was waaaay too high profile and too much of a boat rocker to safely leave one of the twins in his care. Plus, I'm sure that the clonetroopers would have reported back that he watched them gun down a Jedi kid in front of the temple, so you know the Emperor would be keeping an eye on him.

So let's see, Bail is a close friend of Padme and a known skeptic for the Chancellor's plans and he was very vocal in his opposition to the clone army. Of course, Vader knows Padme was pregnant when she died and within days suddenly Bail and his wife have a daughter. Bail is a public figure, I'm sure that their problems with having children would be public knowledge, so it would definitely raise some eyebrows if he had a daughter seemingly appear out of nowhere.

Think about it this way, imagine if Laura Bush suddenly started appearing places with a baby. She was never pregnant; but suddenly she has a newborn baby that she is caring for as her own. What's going to happen? Media and opposing candidates are going to start digging into the story of this baby's origin.

Obviously Bail and his wife are not going to have a lot of time to concoct a story for where Leia came from, so it'll most likely fall apart under serious scrutiny. They could say it came from a relative, but a quick check would reveal that they didn't have any pregnant relatives (not to mention mismatched DNA). Plus, since midichlorian counters seem to be standard issue on every starship :rolleyes: I'm sure that her midichlorian count would be made public as well, and it would most likely be much higher than any of her supposed relatives.

And we're supposed to think that in 20 years, Darth Vader hasn't started to put these pieces together? I guess all those Tatooine summers really do a number on the old brain cells.:D

Of course, that doesn't explain Palpatine, he knew that Anakin had feelings for Padme without being told, so I'm sure that he knew she was pregnant as well. Is he not going to do some background checking and surveilance on one of his most outspoken opponents? Especially when they have a mystery child appear so shortly after Padme's death?

Again, given the storyline that the prequels created, Bail and his wife were NOT a good choice of foster parents for Leia.

JediTricks
12-29-2006, 10:19 PM
:D That was actually my point all along.[mock surprise]Reeeeaaally???[/mock surprise] ;)

Think about it this way, imagine if Laura Bush suddenly started appearing places with a baby. She was never pregnant; but suddenly she has a newborn baby that she is caring for as her own. What's going to happen? Media and opposing candidates are going to start digging into the story of this baby's origin.Like Madonna and Angelina Jolie, only they're just performers, not heads of state.

And we're supposed to think that in 20 years, Darth Vader hasn't started to put these pieces together? I guess all those Tatooine summers really do a number on the old brain cells.:DI think we're supposed to think Vader and Palps think the child (she didn't tell anybody it was twins for some reason even though with their technology she should have known) died with Padme, but they soft-sell this and it just leaves the door even more open for these types of criticisms.

Again, given the storyline that the prequels created, Bail and his wife were NOT a good choice of foster parents for Leia.Based on what the prequels did, the only viable choice really was Dexter Jettster.

bigbarada
12-29-2006, 10:35 PM
The story would never hold water with our current technology, so it's kind of wierd to think that Star Wars technology wouldn't be able to figure this out much faster. With the cloning technology at the Emperor's disposal, you would expect it to take about 2 seconds to reveal EXACTLY who Leia's real parents were.

Luke is not a problem, because he was hidden away on Tatooine; but Bail is just in the Emperor's face too much for Leia to go unnoticed for long.

If the lie benefited the Empire in some way, then it could be chalked up to some Imperial cover-up; but it didn't, in fact it was incredibly detrimental to the security of the Empire.

bigbarada
12-29-2006, 10:40 PM
Of course, this also brings up the possibility that the Emperor knew exactly who Leia really was and was just silently keeping an eye on her in the hopes that he could groom her as a possible replacement for Vader.

Luke just happened to be that sucker-punch out of nowhere that took everyone by surprise.

Man, that will be a great storyline to explore in episodes 4-6,.... oh wait... :upset: