PDA

View Full Version : What do you think now?

Snowtrooper
12-29-2006, 11:55 AM
I was kind of curious about those of you who originally didn't like the TAV packaging when it came out. Now that we've had a chance to see pictures of the figures on cards, has your opinion changed for the better, or do you still dislike them?

I have to admit that the packaging is growing on me, but not enough to get me to buy one carded and one opener like I had been with TSC. I really like the Rebel Honor Guard and McQuarrie Stormtrooper packaging. In your opinion, is there one that really stands out at this point?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-29-2006, 01:51 PM
I really hated it when I first saw it, but it's also growing on me. I'm still not a fan of the airbrushed/photoshopped/painted pictures of the characters, and I'll probably have to wait until I actually get the figures to pass final judgment, but it's not quite as horrible as I first thought. I like how two of the upcoming figures are blacked out on the back of the card, just like in the vintage days. :)

Kidhuman
12-29-2006, 02:00 PM
I havent seen the cards in person so I wont pass judgement just yet. The boxes for the vehicles and such look pretty good.

LTBasker
12-29-2006, 02:33 PM
I originally absolutely completely freaking hated the design, though it was downright horrid.

But seeing the figures mounted on it and the varying colorschemes has made it really grow on me. I actually can't wait to mount a complete collection on my wall now.

El Chuxter
12-29-2006, 02:35 PM
Eh, my figures will all be freed of their cardboard prisons, so I don't care. Easily damaged cards may mean it's easier for me to find stuff, since the MOMC collectors will have to be pickier. :)

Darth Cruel
12-29-2006, 03:00 PM
I started out liking it a lot, but not seeing it as "Star Warsy" enough. But now, through mental conditioning, I am accepting the design as being associated with Star Wars. But that is not because it is, it is because the lack of choice is forcing me to accept it.

As long as the cards fit into the 6" x 9" protective cases...I will be OK with it. I see it as a phase of collecting that will be looked on fondly later like the memory of that proverbial one-eyed, one-eared, three legged, neutered dog with half a tail (named Lucky) that a person keeps a picture of after it has died because the person pitied the dog because all of it's misfortune was not it's own fault.

30 years from now I'll be thinking "Poor little action figure cards. It wasn't very nice of Hasbro to do that to you, now was it? There, There, I still think fondly of you despite how inappropriate you are".

mtriv73
12-29-2006, 03:46 PM
It's fine, but it's not flashy enough to get me to buy any repacks next year. I'll still get all the new ones though. Since I'm a MOC collector, except for titaniums and vehicles, I've bought several figures multiple times just for the new packaging. The greatest hits this year is a good example. These just don't "do it" for me though.

toonimator
12-29-2006, 04:18 PM
At first, I wasn't crazy about it. Thought it was too "Transformers Energon", and the Lava Miner card, being the first we saw, had the horrible Mustafar background like every ROTS card. Like others, I was sick of the red-n-orange-n-black ROTS scheme!

The later photos of Wave 1 sold me, and Wave 2 made it official: these cards rock. They're funky, but they have a lot of info, a lot of variety, and so far some good artwork (Biggs in particular is nice; DS Trooper and Rebel Guard are cool, but too obvious in their use of the same General Veers photo as the source material for both; would've been better to use another photo or simply not have the figures in the same wave). The McConcept series cards look especially nice -- on the front. If they've all got McQuarrie's photo on the back, not so much. I'd prefer more concept art of the character. I really love the 'blueprint' logo on the series, too.

Of the 'modern' cards, these are probably my favorites (modern meaning 'not inspired by vintage', thus excluding TSC and OTC and the V-lines). Good balance of space for figures & accessories, photos, and movie info. I love the 'classic' look of OTC & TSC, but I'll take the new TAC over POTF2, POTJ, TPM, Saga, and ROTS any day.

Luuuuuuke
12-29-2006, 09:12 PM
If it's easier to tear open, then it's awesome.:thumbsup:

JediTricks
12-29-2006, 09:28 PM
I don't care for them at all, not Star Warsy, overly busy, they look like they'll be bent up real bad pretty quick. Yet they're not QUITE as much an eyesore as they first were, although seeing how small the bubble is on these is lame (and the card looks wider too, complicated) so I hate them again. :p

DarkArtist
12-29-2006, 11:15 PM
I love the new packaging. can't wait to see these at retail. hopefully it will be easier to see what figures are on the pegs. the saga wave used to drive me crazy having to see what color was the wave, green, purple, orange, blue, red, would rather see a huge pic of the figure makes it easier to go through and see.

TheDarthVader
12-30-2006, 01:03 PM
I didn't like them at the start, and I still don't like them. Hasbro is getting too fancy. They need to go back to a simple design. Everyone seems to love the vintage original trilogy collection cards...I know I do! These new cards are too "complicated" with angles and cheap art. Just give us some movie still photographs!

Jargo
12-30-2006, 02:32 PM
I still think it's vile messy and amateur. The product is so lost on the card with the mish mash of colours and printed carp I find it hard to look at them. I don't remember the name of the company that designed this pice of carp but i would never ive them a job again based on this. it really gets more and more hideous the more I see it. frankly i think the trilogy and TAC cardbacks are the wrong way round, the classier more traditional cardbacks should have saved for this anniversary. simple and clean.

The only reason i can see for the confusing graphical vomit on the cards for 2007 s that nigh on most will be repacks and the card is designed to so blind people into thinking what they're getting is new. Although the new stuff is alright there isn't nearly enough of it. And while the repacks allow newcomers to get older stuff and army builders to go nuts again, I do think the card is deliberately designed to confuse. it's also not so much about the product as it is about the actual brand.

and any figures i buy, the packaging is going straight in the trash so i don't have to look at it too long. Bring back the trilogy packaging please.

Deoxyribonucleic
12-30-2006, 03:48 PM
Eh, my figures will all be freed of their cardboard prisons, so I don't care. Easily damaged cards may mean it's easier for me to find stuff, since the MOMC collectors will have to be pickier. :)

Exacary!! There's gonna be alot of bent and torn cards out there with these new babies!

I like the saga and otc card backs with the scenes, great idea and they shouldn't have messed with it but I understand Hasbro has to change and liven up the line ever year or two, make it fresh but I wish wish wish they would put out the votc cards more often and of course for a regular price.

bigbarada
12-30-2006, 07:59 PM
I like the large character picture dominating most of the design, kind of feels like the character-centric Unleashed card designs. So I'm a fan of that.

I like the overall design itself; but I'm not a fan of the card or bubble shape though. Too many arbitrary cuts and angles.

Blue2th
12-30-2006, 09:35 PM
These cards make the ROTS look award winning in comparison. Still don't like this design. I have a feeling I won't when I see them on the pegs either. I'll be buying for loose display, which means I'll be missing alot of re-packs, and saving some $$$. Yes, I bought every TSC figure so far, for a complete carded collection. Don't think it's going to happen this time. Mixed blessing for me. Spent alot of money already this year.

Luuuuuuke
12-31-2006, 12:40 PM
I heard two guys whining about the new packaging at a Target this morning like it ruined 2007 for them.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-31-2006, 01:41 PM
I forgot to add, but for Christmas I got the new AAT and Hailfire Droid. I really love the packaging for these, a lot more than I thought I would. The product is placed well in a movie still, which has been done before, but it looks really good this time. The angled box doesn't bother me too much, and I like how it has a picture of the characters that use the ships.

Snowtrooper
12-31-2006, 03:46 PM
I hope when TAV is over, they will go back to something similiar to the TSC style cardback or even one with a picture of the character on the cardback.

DarkArtist
01-02-2007, 01:26 PM
I forgot to add, but for Christmas I got the new AAT and Hailfire Droid. I really love the packaging for these, a lot more than I thought I would. The product is placed well in a movie still, which has been done before, but it looks really good this time. The angled box doesn't bother me too much, and I like how it has a picture of the characters that use the ships.

I have to agree with you Mr. JabbaJohnL, I got the Sith Starfighter for Christmas and loved the way it looked in the package. I was almost sorry to rip it open and remove the ship from it's cardboard prison.
My wife however is not a fan of the design since she was the one who had to wrap it and put under the tree.
Saw all three ships today at Walmart, AAT, Hailfire and Starfighter and really loved the way they looked next to the rest of the SW merchandise. Still can't wait to see a 30th Anniversary display end cap or something with the ships, battlepacks, and figures on display. for me at least 2007 is looking good already.

Slicker
01-02-2007, 04:38 PM
It's slooooooowly growing on me but I don't think I'll fully embrace it. It's just too much of a departure from the norm for me.