PDA

View Full Version : Removeable Helmet SA Stormtrooper

Darth Cruel
12-30-2006, 02:16 AM
Jedi Defender has some pics of what they claim is supposed to be the SA removeable helmet Stormtrooper that is rumored to be set to be released in the TAC line. Whether it is a custom or the real McCoy, it is a sharp-looking piece.

http://www.jedidefender.com/

LTBasker
12-30-2006, 09:18 AM
Interesting, don't care too much about the removeable helmet feature although now I'd be able to do a battle scene and have Stormtrooper helmets around like tumbleweeds. :p

Really we had already seen what this would look like with the Sandtrooper from the ANH tin, the only difference is that this one might have a solid back like the VOTC Stormtrooper instead of the slots for the Sandtrooper backpack.

I'm really hoping that since from a Q&A, Hasbro seemed mildly interested in the Troopers standing outside the Death Star. Since this has a removeable helmet, all they would need to do is include an alternate helmet with airhoses leading to an air pack that could plug into the backpack holes left from the Sandtrooper mold. Doubt it though.

At the very least, we don't have to rely on getting VOTC packaged ones off of ebay or removing the dirt from Saga2 Sandtroopers for SA Stormtroopers. Now if only retail price would come down. :p

Rogue II
12-30-2006, 10:38 AM
I don't really see why they are spending money on putting clone heads on OT troopers. Seems like a waste. Do a Stormtrooper Luke and Han (not that comic stuff, either). Other than that, I won't complain. I'll just leave the helmet on.

El Chuxter
12-30-2006, 10:55 AM
I don't really see why they are spending money on putting clone heads on OT troopers.

Because legions of fanboys will gasp "new figure!" and they'll sell.

I'm not playing that game anymore. And I think after 2007, there will be more like me, and this will blow up in Hasbro's face in 2008.

LTBasker
12-30-2006, 10:59 AM
I don't really see why they are spending money on putting clone heads on OT troopers. Seems like a waste. Do a Stormtrooper Luke and Han (not that comic stuff, either). Other than that, I won't complain. I'll just leave the helmet on.

I really don't like the clone head thing either but on the brightside, it does make a Luke and Han much easier for them to do. Though they could've just done some generic head wearing a balaclava...

Kidhuman
12-30-2006, 12:19 PM
Because legions of fanboys will gasp "new figure!" and they'll sell.

I'm not playing that game anymore. And I think after 2007, there will be more like me, and this will blow up in Hasbro's face in 2008.

I am with you, this is getting to be outrageous. I could care less about a removable helmet. Its still a stormtrooper.

jjreason
12-30-2006, 12:54 PM
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzz

*cough*

Huh? Oh.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

bobafrett
12-30-2006, 12:59 PM
I'll buy it. Just because, just because.

mtriv73
12-30-2006, 01:26 PM
I hope they do a running change and add some more heads to the line up. I'd buy 'em just to waste the money :thumbsup:

Jargo
12-30-2006, 01:41 PM
If they're wearing protective helmets why does he have a scar?

I don't own any vintage style stormies, just got last ten commtech ones after my massive clearout. I'm planning my Endor display around a battle between ewoks and troopers without any rebels around, so the added articulation on this would be helpful, therefore I may buy a few. the commtech ones can go to Tatooine where all they seem to do is stand around looking bored. Part of me finds it amusing though that Temeura Morrison seems to be becoming the most action figured actor out there. all those various troopers, plus Jango, hope he got a good deal in his contract with LFL to cover likeness rights and moolah for the use of.

General_Grievous
12-30-2006, 02:16 PM

I'm with you, too. The only faces under the stormtroopers' helmets should be either Han's or Luke's. Enough of this crap.

JON9000
12-30-2006, 02:26 PM
I've got several ANH Luke's lieing around. Maybe one of them needs to be beheaded and customized... although I'm guessing the clone head is considerably smaller than Luke's.

LTBasker
12-30-2006, 02:27 PM
If they're wearing protective helmets why does he have a scar?

Maybe it's the one Chewie knocked the helmet around on while at Bespin, when the helmet twisted around his head he got slashed by some of the internal equipment. :D

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-30-2006, 03:01 PM
A lot of the recent removable helmet troopers have had scars (the ANH and ESB tin sets ones had the same head). At least this guy has that thing on his head, so he's not an exact copy of the ANH tin set figure.

Whether or not you like the removable helmet, it's still an SA stormtrooper, which is awesome.

DarkArtist
12-30-2006, 04:53 PM
this seems wierd since we got a removable helmet stormie in the tin set, even though the face is like snow white and doesn't have the same flesh tone that the clones have in the prequels. either way I'm alol for it. love to have added features like removable helemts and holsters that hold blasters. can't wait to get a couple of these guys, maybe ten or so, for an EU scene I want to do.

Devo
12-30-2006, 05:25 PM
(the ANH and ESB tin sets ones had the same head).

Don't you mean half a head? The ball joint on those heads is so horrific it has no lower jaw. PLEASE HASBRO END THE SUFFERING!!! NO MORE BALLJOINT NECKS ON HUMANS!!!

Still I'll take any opportunity to get stormtroopers. The helmets can stay on.

bigbarada
12-30-2006, 06:05 PM
Personally I like the ball-jointed heads, but they can be a problem on some removable helmet figures, since the head can sometimes come off with the helmet (VTSC Luke X-Wing).

This doesn't look too bad, and it's not a great likeness of Jango, so it doesn't bother me. It looks like a production figure with the fuzzy paint seams and slightly misplaced paint applications. If it's a custom then it's one of the best I've seen.

I think the helmet is a definite improvement over the VOTC Stormtrooper head.:yes:

figrin bran
12-30-2006, 07:46 PM
I really hate the removable helmets as well and i'd rather that the money they use to make the heads be used for something else. like putting Han and Luke heads on the troopers, as mentioned earlier.

i army build (though not on the level as Sal) but none of my troopers or clones are displayed with helmet off.

dindae
12-30-2006, 09:04 PM
I don't really mind the removable helmet but I hope the helmet covers the head and the chin doesn't stick out. I love ball jointed heads. It's easy and gives figures so much more expression. I will be getting at least 3 probably more since I have never army built with stormtroopers before.

JediTricks
12-31-2006, 12:06 AM
I hope the helmet doesn't look oversized or sit up too high, the VOTC Stormie is pretty much dead-on in the proportions department and this could easily muck that up. Personally, I'd prefer Hasbro didn't waste their time assembling and painting heads under the helmets, fix what needs fixing on the VOTC figure and ship 'em out in a cheap multipack.

AmanaMatt
12-31-2006, 12:30 AM
Ok, while I love the VOTC Stormie in every way, the helmet itself is way smaller than what you see in the movie. Not just the width, but the gerth - take a look at the Lucas Stormie helmet - that seems very close (to me, at least).

After seeing this piece, I am very happy with the removable helmet, as long as we get the Stormie helmet that first came with the mail way Lucas.

jedi master sal
12-31-2006, 08:27 AM
I really hate the removable helmets as well and i'd rather that the money they use to make the heads be used for something else. like putting Han and Luke heads on the troopers, as mentioned earlier.

i army build (though not on the level as Sal) but none of my troopers or clones are displayed with helmet off.

Heh, well, I wonder if I'm going to go back and clean off all that dirt from the 20 or so sandtroopers I got? Maybe not... But that's cool. I'll just put the paulrons back on and paint them, white, orange or grey as I want.

NOW...

What's the hell is the fuss here guys???

Just don't take the frickin' helmet off and you've got no worries.

When did we ever see STORMtroopers with their helmets off? Never. So don't complain about the Jango head. So what, it's under there. Why should it bother you. If you remain movie accurate when setting them up, you're never going to have the helmet off anyway. Agreed, the money could have been spent elsewheres, but like many have already psoted, this paves the way for Han and Luke. Don't sweat the small stuff fellas. Having a Jango head underneath the helmet really should be of little concern.

Am I miffed that I've got a bunch of Sandtroopers left that I was going to clean up and custom as stormies? Nope, it was my choice to do so. Now this just saves me the work. The one's I've got "cleaned" I'll either go back over to clean them up again, or perhaps airbursh my own "dirt scheme" onto them for variety and make them back into Sandtroopers. No biggie. (It's going to mainly depend on availability of these new Stormtroopers.)

Oh and figrin bran, I don't plan to build these up too much. Maybe 50 or so. I've already got loads of Stormtroopers from previous issues/molds that work quite well for what I need them for. Though this may finally push the old "buff" troopers out the door. (And onto eBay for paultry returns...again no biggie)

-Sal

Old Fossil
12-31-2006, 03:10 PM
I agree that the Jango clone head is no big deal. It shouldn't look bad with the helmet on, since the black bodysuit apparently extends up and covers the back of the head itself.

Now we can have stormtroopers/sandtroopers having a drink with their helmets off in Chalmun's Cantina.:yes:

I'm gonna need about 5 of these.

JediTricks
12-31-2006, 04:05 PM
Ok, while I love the VOTC Stormie in every way, the helmet itself is way smaller than what you see in the movie. Not just the width, but the gerth - take a look at the Lucas Stormie helmet - that seems very close (to me, at least).Look at the photo on that Lucas Stormtrooper card, the helmet on that trooper doesn't even go as wide as chest armor, if anything, I'd say the VOTC stormtrooper's head/helmet is actually a little too BIG.

What's the hell is the fuss here guys???

Just don't take the frickin' helmet off and you've got no worries.

When did we ever see STORMtroopers with their helmets off? Never. So don't complain about the Jango head. So what, it's under there. Why should it bother you. The fuss is partly that the helmet may not look as good on the figure. Plus, I'll add a new one, it may not move as well.

Jargo
12-31-2006, 04:31 PM
Maybe it's the one Chewie knocked the helmet around on while at Bespin, when the helmet twisted around his head he got slashed by some of the internal equipment. :D

I got it - it's because of recessive genes, being later clones they have obvious degrades in qual;ity of source genes, therefore the scars are because they cut themselves shaving....... think about it a few seconds....

:thumbsup:

Rogue II
12-31-2006, 09:05 PM
The fuss is partly that the helmet may not look as good on the figure. Plus, I'll add a new one, it may not move as well.

The other part of the fuss, for me at least, is that Hasbro says they have a budget for each wave. When they are spending extra money on these removable helmets, they are taking something away from the other figures in the wave.

El Chuxter
12-31-2006, 09:09 PM
When they are spending extra money on these removable helmets, they are taking something away from the other figures in the wave.

Yeah! Money that could be better used to give us chartreuse, vermillion, and candy-striped Clonetroopers! :rolleyes:

I'm so sick of it.

Rogue II
12-31-2006, 09:44 PM
Good lord, no more Clones. I don't buy them. I was talking about extra articulation, accessory, an extra Ewok or something. (In one of the Q&As, they said Chief Chirpa didn't come with another Ewok because one of the other figures in the wave cost extra.)

El Chuxter
12-31-2006, 11:25 PM
The Gunner, with his extra chestplate?

C-3PO, with the vac-metal paint, knee articulation, and chair? More likely.

Jargo
01-01-2007, 03:38 PM
nah, they spent the money on paying those assclowns to come up with the graphical vomit and hideous shape on the 2007 cardbacks.

JediTricks
01-02-2007, 12:25 AM
The other part of the fuss, for me at least, is that Hasbro says they have a budget for each wave. When they are spending extra money on these removable helmets, they are taking something away from the other figures in the wave.That's a good point, I hadn't considered that. This figure is already fairly expensive due to a lot of assembly needed as it is, helmetless is not a feature I think anybody was asking for. I'd rather see some of the figure's real issues dealt with first (mismatched base colors, hips too close together needing a ball joint, hands too stiff to hold barrel of blaster, mid-torso articulation sticks), or another figure get treated better.

bigbarada
01-04-2007, 05:55 AM
If they had to do removable helmet Stormtroopers, couldn't they have just made a carded Han in Stormtrooper disguise? Army builders would be in the same boat and just have to keep the helmets on.

I would also like to see a new Luke in Stormtrooper disguise, but he needs to be properly shortened, so he wouldn't really work as an army builder.

While I do think this new helmet is more accurate to the ANH helmets, it's made of that soft rubbery material and easily warps and stretches. So all your stormtroopers will end up looking like they're wearing those crappy Don Post masks. :frus:

It always seems like it's two steps forward and three steps back with Hasbro doesn't it?

jedi master sal
01-04-2007, 07:27 AM
It always seems like it's two steps forward and three steps back with Hasbro doesn't it?

~~
They come together cause opposites attract.
It ain't fiction, just a natural fact....
They come together cause opposites attract.
~~

(Okay, I'll stop being silly now...)

Kidhuman
01-04-2007, 07:53 AM
(Okay, I'll stop being silly now...)

You might, but I wont

I would also like to see a new Luke in Stormtrooper disguise, but he needs to be properly shortened, so he wouldn't really work as an army builder.

A properly shortened Luke in Stormy gear would work for army building. If you were army building midgets from the Wizard of Oz in stormy gear.

bobafrett
01-04-2007, 09:46 AM
A properly shortened Luke in Stormy gear would work for army building. If you were army building midgets from the Wizard of Oz in stormy gear.

Being 5'09" I take offense to your comment, and demand a public apology! Otherwise you will join the "Bob Eubanks and other disgracful comment making people" list. :razz:

:D

mm74md
01-04-2007, 03:32 PM
just glue the helmets on then you don't have to see the jango face :)

figrin bran
01-04-2007, 09:57 PM
if my votc stormie from the ANH tin is any indication, it's going to hard to remove the helmets without also taking the head off as the ball joint is rather loose, similar to vtsc x wing luke.

the helmet for the ANH tin stormie is indeed rubbery but at least it covers up the chin unlike a lot of the clone helmets where you can see a bit of the chin.