PDA

View Full Version : THE very best action figure on the peg!

Darth Cruel
02-02-2002, 04:45 PM
OK - I just came from Wal-Mart and while I was there I became very curious about the Spider-Man movie action figures. And so I bought one. Toy Biz deserves an award for these figures (the new movie and the classic lines). Sculpt, paint, articulation, accessories...I can only find a few bad things to say about the figures and I really have to reach to find those. Let me share my opinions with you.

Sculpt - I don't know if they used Real Scan technology for these figures or not as I have not seen the actors in make-up. But never-the-less, the detail is outstanding and appears to represent the characters (if not the actors) very, very well. And this figure may just make me change my preference from 4" to 6" action figures.

Paint - After checking the paints on the figures that were present, paint became a non-issue for choosing a figure as it was nearly flawless on every one of them.

Articulation - The package touts "more than 30 points". I counted 32 and have not found a pose I wanted to put him in but couldn't yet.

Accessories - Being an accessories man, it is disappointing that there are so few applicable accessories for Spider-Man. But there is a gargoyle sculpture display stand that is very cool and can be hung on a wall or clamped on a table (or in my case, my desk at work). Even the string attachment thing is ...well lets just say that it is the worst part of the entire toy and even that doesn't suck regardless of the fact that I would prefer the toy to be without it.

All this and for the same price as a 4" Star Wars figure with almost no articulation. Hmmmmmmmmm...

AreTwo-DeeTwo
02-03-2002, 10:42 AM
Come on. We all know the best toy line out there right now is E.T.!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes I am totally joking. I saw those the other day. I was shocked at how poor they were.

Rollo Tomassi
02-03-2002, 11:00 AM
Funny, AreTwo! They are hideous aren't they? So much for a Senator E.T. from THAT line up...

I have both Spidey and Daredevil on DD's little stain glass window diorama. Toy Biz could crank out the entire Marvel line with this design and I'd be a happy camper. IronMan! Punisher! Captain America! Everybody! get crackin' ToyBiz!

GNT
02-04-2002, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by AreTwo-DeeTwo
Come on. We all know the best toy line out there right now is E.T.!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes I am totally joking. I saw those the other day. I was shocked at how poor they were.

Those are awful says the kids who look at them at my local TRu,guess they aren't moving time soon!

SithDroid
02-04-2002, 02:42 AM
I agree the new E.T. toys are horrible looking. Plus the new 30 point articulation spiderman is awesome. I picked mine up for $5.99. A dollar less than the POTJ stuff. Let's see, 6" cool figure with tons of articulation ofr $5.99, or 3 3/4" figure with hardly any articulation for $6.99. Something doesn't give Hasbro.

JediTricks
02-04-2002, 09:16 AM
I finally saw a Spider-Man movie figure on pegs tonight, unfortunately it was battle damaged Spidey, the only figure from the first wave that holds NO interest for me (thanks to a brain-dead face sculpt under the mask). The figure's body is a step up from the previous Spidey Classics body - they added the sorely-begged-for mid-bicep swivel point to these! Very awesome! The movie figures have more details to capture than Toy Biz's 2 "Spidey Classics" waves and they succeed amicably... at least, in the packaging. The price hurts a little, but if Toy Biz can keep the quality up on paints (the one area Spidey Classics really slipped at), maybe the price will feel worth it in time. Still, I can't pull off any "spine-bender" moves with these web-slingers, so they still need one more point of articulation before they're perfect. ;)

Rollo Tomassi
02-07-2002, 06:30 PM
As soon as I mention Iron Man and Capt. America, I see the new Marvel Legends line coming soon. Cap, IM, and Hulk! in the hyper articulate style of the Spidey Classic line. I rule! thanks ToyBiz! Keep up the work...:D

El Chuxter
02-07-2002, 09:49 PM
I know they weren't the biggest selling characters of Marvel's history, but how about the 30-pt Spidey treatment going to these characters?

Iron Fist
Darkhawk
Deathlok
Sleepwalker
Morbius (post Midnight Sons mutation)

Can you tell the peak of my Marvel reading was in the early to mid 1990s? :)

Rollo Tomassi
02-07-2002, 10:10 PM
Darkhawk? Sleepwalker? Naaaw...I couldn't tell Chux. :rolleyes: :D I too am a child of the late 80's/early 90's Marvel comics. Right before (and a little after) Image ruined comics. Darkhawk would be a grand figure. Which Deathlok? How about Quasar? I've been waiting for Toy Biz to do a third X-Men series with Dazzler, Longshot, Rogue, Havoc, Psylocke, Storm, Collosus, and Wolvie. The best X-Men team EVER...

I'd put money on the Mutant Massacre/Fall of the Mutant/Inferno team against any incarnation of the X-Men since the beginning of the group up until now.

But anyway, back to the figures. Where are the villians? Dr. Doom? Magneto? Green Goblin? We got the Rhino so far. The Rhino?!? Hello Toybiz, who came up with that one?

Darth Rage
02-26-2002, 06:25 PM
Its nice to have all that articulation. If Starwars had that much it would lose some detail. But the good thing about it if it was starwars we would have less resculpts!

But my best action figure I have is the shirtless darth Maul! :D

He is one of the most realistic looking action figures out there, with an awesome pose.

Starfig873
02-26-2002, 07:52 PM
I've been picking up the different Spider Mans because of how good they look and how fun they are. The movie version is by far the best. And I absolutely love the Green Goblin.

I hear that the next Spidey classics will include Doc Ock, Lizard, and Hobgoblin. Hopefully this is quite true.

DarkArtist
02-26-2002, 08:01 PM
THOSE ET FIGURES ARE OUT OF CONTROL. THEY DON'T EVEN SOUND ANYTHING REMOTLY LIKE THE CHARACTERS AND PLUS THEY ARE THE BULKEST FIGURES ON THE MARKET. YUK!!!

JediTricks
02-27-2002, 01:15 AM
I finally found Super-posable movie Spider-Man for $6.84 at Wal-mart, this figure is superb! None of the sloppiness from the Spider-Man Classics line, but all of the articulation and MORE! Besides the mid-bicep articulation I mentioned, there's a new "rocker" joint on Spidey's ankle, and the head has more range of motion. I honestly don't think this figure will be beaten any time soon in my book.

Question about the Green Goblin figure, does the helmet FULLY cover the head, or is there some of Norman Osborn's head showing?

SithDroid
02-27-2002, 02:15 AM
The back of his head shows Jedi Tricks. I have mine open and the mask just snaps on the front and the top of his head. You can see his hair in the back. Hope this helps.

JetsAndHeels
02-27-2002, 11:58 AM
The new Spider Man figs are awesome. I have the super posable spidey and love it.
If anyone has picked up the new Toyfare magazine, there are some pics of upcoming new Spidey figures from the movie.
I wont give anything away, but I will say they look great.
Also they are all booking for $15 each, which isnt bad for a new line of toys.

Deoxyribonucleic
02-27-2002, 12:18 PM
Hey Darth Cruel...I know exactly what you are talking about...how cool that Spidey toy is. I'm not a huge fan of Spiderman, I like him and all I've just never collected his toys and comic books but this figure was SO GREAT, I bought it! And I hung him on my wall and he looks so good!

:D :D :D :D :D

JediTricks
02-28-2002, 02:17 AM
SithDroid, thanks for the info on Green Goblin, I am a little disappointed that there is show-through, that's one area that Toy Biz has never gotten right. I'll still get it, but it's not at the top of my list (heck, I held one in my hands when I bought Super-Posable and put him back because I didn't have enough $$$ at the time for both - see my Zutton variation news post ;)).

One question - who has push-pins laying around anymore? ;) (the gargoyle head that comes with Super-Posable Spidey can be attached to the wall over a push-pin, but all I have are thumbtacks, so mine is using the giant ugly clamp... not that it matters since I have my SP Spidey crouching on top of a pile of Action Fleet boxes. :D)

Rollo Tomassi
02-28-2002, 07:52 AM
Whew! I really don't like the movie Green Goblin, but if we're getting the comic version in an upcoming classic line I'll wait. I might get the J. Jonah Jameson figgie though. That fist on the desk action looks hilarious. All he needs is a little cigar stickin' out of his mouth and he'd be perfect. Of course, that wouldn't fly in today's PC world. JJJ'd kick Perry White's booty....

So we're getting some classic Avengers soon and El Chuxter wants the obscure heroes from the 90's? Who else deserves the "Classic" treatment?

X-Men?

New Warriors?

Classic Villians (Red Skull Dr. Doom Etc)?

Fantastic Four?

Who do you want to see super poseable? They could make the entire Marvel line like this and I'd be plum happy.:happy:

Starfig873
02-28-2002, 12:34 PM
The head-showing on the current Green Goblin will probably be fixed when they release the next wave of movie figs. It's supposed to have a deluxe GG. Certainly looks cool to me.

Rollo, I agree, I would love a classic Green Goblin figure. But the movie version is looking nice on my dresser, so I'm not going to complain. :)

And the Fantastic Four are supposedly gonna get the articulation treatment too...along with Dr. Doom. Well, I'm certain on Doom anyway.

bigbarada
03-01-2002, 06:55 PM
I'm just glad that they will be releasing a toy of Spidey 2099. I don't know about anyone else but I really liked that version of Spidey.

Starfig873
03-01-2002, 08:11 PM
Actually BB, if you head over to KBs right now, chances are you will find a whole slew of Spidey 2099. He's pegwarming big time...since he's their exclusive and all. :)

bigbarada
03-01-2002, 08:15 PM
It's too bad Alamo-freakin'-gordo doesn't have a KB toys.:mad: Just one more reason to make a trip out to El Paso this weekend.

Rollo Tomassi
03-02-2002, 11:14 AM
I just saw the FF figures. Sweeet! Thing, Johnny Storm, Dr. Doom, and Namor (in his butt ugly new costume).

So Woooof Rosario is back in town, hey?;)

I want a Woooof Rosario action figure. It comes in an OD uniform, or the rare variant in sweats and a Bart-Man t-shirt.;)

bigbarada
03-02-2002, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by Rollo Tomassi

So Woooof Rosario is back in town, hey?;)

I want a Woooof Rosario action figure. It comes in an OD uniform, or the rare variant in sweats and a Bart-Man t-shirt.;)

Yep, I'm back.......

oops, wrong user name!:stupid:

Oh well, :rolleyes: just checking in to see if I've been banned yet. Don't worry mister moderator sir, I'm back on my medicine and have all my personalities in check. So no more outbursts from me.

Wooooof
03-02-2002, 03:29 PM
That's what you think.:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Starfig873
03-03-2002, 12:44 PM
So where'd you see them Rollo? Doth thee have a URL? :p

Rollo Tomassi
03-04-2002, 09:19 AM
www.americandreamcomics.com has some if you go to their Marvel area. I think you might have to scroll back aways through their archives.

Starfig873
03-04-2002, 12:35 PM
Ah, thank you sir. :)

I'm dissapointed that they just re-used the old Lizard mold from about a year or so ago. They should have done a much better and cool mold. Argh.

Doc Ock is looking sweet though...

SithDroid
03-04-2002, 12:47 PM
I must say that those figures look pretty amazing. I hope that the Hobgoblin figure is not that skinny though. He looks a little bit anorexic to me. But other than that, I can't wait to get my hands on them. Finally a really detailed cool line for the Mavel Universe.

SithDroid
03-04-2002, 12:57 PM
One thing I forgot to comment on. I hope we see a better version of Venom released sometime down the road. The one we have now in series one looks absolutely horrible and I wouldn't dare pick that one up to buy.

Eternal Padawan
06-04-2002, 10:27 AM
Just found Capt America and The Hulk figures. Missed out on Iron Man (and have no desire to buy Toad...what an odd choice for the fourth figure. Why not Thor? or Hawkeye? or any other Avenger type?)

The Hulk is nice. It's HUGE. The shoulder articulation has me wincing a little, with those huge gaps in his back. I also don't like the open hand action. I wanted a Hulk punching through things. Open and closing hands would have been nice since they have them on every other figure in the line, but I would have preferred one open and one close or both closed to what they gave us. And the lied about over thirty points of articulation. I counted barely twenty. The face is very nice, though, with the mindless rage coming across very nice. An overall nice figure.

But the Captain America figure takes the gold medal. This is the sweetest action figure I have seen in a LOOOOOONG time. LOTR figures? Blow. Star Wars saga? Suck. Having Cap stand there with his little American Flag and his chin jutting out in pride and his shield strapped to his arm is the epitome of wicked cool action figure-ness. And it's the same price as a Star Wars figure.

I highly recommend everyone go out and buy these puppies. RIGHT NOW.

187-Maul
06-04-2002, 10:53 AM
this is so unfair! you guys get the SW figs for 6$ and the spiderman figs for 6$ and here in france I have to pay 10 euros and 16euros ! for the spiderman figs !!! so for the two together I have to pay 24$! twice as much as in the US !
I definetly want the spiderman but not for 16 euros:mad: !

JediTricks
06-04-2002, 06:42 PM
EP, is your Cap's waist super-loose? Mine is, but he's still a pretty cool figure. The shield is my favorite part - he can even wear it on his back!

I believe Hulk's fingers are bendy, which they consider to be articulation. I didn't love this figure, so I didn't bother. Iron Man is pretty cool though.

I think Toad was a replacement for Dr Doom, which they moved to wave 2. Toad was from a scrapped X-men movie 2pack (movie toad and comic toad) and Toy Biz wanted to use it. I couldn't see ANY reason to put that boring Toad figure in with Cap, Hulk, and Iron Man though - 3 dynamic top-name figures with lots of articulation and one bottom-of-the-barrel X-men villain as an articulated statue.

Eternal Padawan
06-04-2002, 08:19 PM
Which Iron Man is the rarer variant?

Now that you mention it BOTH Cap and the Hulk have loose waists. It doesn't affect their poses, they stay in place no matter what position, but they are sort of wobbly.

The Hulk's "articulation" in his fingers doesn't allow them to be posed, you bend 'em and they straighten right back out. Huh. The sort of misleading I'd expect from Hasbro, not ToyBiz.

Can't wait for the next waves...

JediTricks
06-04-2002, 10:13 PM
I believe the metallic-sheen paint on Iron Man is the variant.

I can't say I'm surprised by Toy Biz's failure with Hulk's hands, Toy Biz is no saint, even though they're no Hasbro either. :D

Eternal Padawan
06-05-2002, 10:35 AM
Maybe they forgot to put the little metal rods in my Hulk's fingers because the Hulk on the packaging has his hands bent into various menacing poses.

Or maybe they "forgot" to do it to all of them.... :rolleyes:

bigbarada
06-05-2002, 11:04 AM
Is this Captain America figure an exclusive? I have yet to see him at Wal-Mart over here. Sounds really awesome from your description, EP!

Now DC Direct needs to follow suit and give us 30-points of articulation Superman and Batman figures.

Deoxyribonucleic
06-05-2002, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by bigbarada
Is this Captain America figure an exclusive? I have yet to see him at Wal-Mart over here. Sounds really awesome from your description, EP!

Now DC Direct needs to follow suit and give us 30-points of articulation Superman and Batman figures.

They are not exclusives...I've seen them at both TRU and Target. They are great figs especially Capt. America and Hulk. They run 6.99 at TRU and 5.98 at Target. And they come with an exclusive comic book of old.

:)

bigbarada
06-05-2002, 11:44 AM
Cool! Hopefully they will be here soon. Thanks!:)

Jedi Juice
06-05-2002, 09:17 PM
Hey, Playboy has their own Victoria Silvstedt figure and Jenna Jameson has action figures out too. Anatomically correct, they are...

JediTricks
06-06-2002, 01:02 AM
Let's please keep it clean in here.

I paid $9.99 for Cap and Iron Man variant a month ago at Target because they didn't have it entered in the computer and the shelf tag said $9.99. Get this, instead of putting the correct UPC number in the system and then adding the price, they punched in a bunch of 9s and now I can't get a refund!

Jedi Juice
06-06-2002, 01:11 AM
Sorry JediTricks, didn't mean to be vulgar or rude, but I just thought that it was interesting that Playboy would make figures of their Playmates, that's all.

JediTricks
06-06-2002, 05:26 AM
Ok. BTW, from what I've seen on figures.com, those Playboy figures are tres-expensive and that Jenna figure looks almost NOTHING like her.

Eternal Padawan
06-06-2002, 09:35 AM
I'm kinda sorry I didn't pick up some of the earlier releases in this line now.

Of course, the first line had that atrocious Man-Spider and the worst Venom I've ever seen. But I should have grabbed a black Spidey suit. As it was, I only got red and blue Spidey.
And the second line had that crappy peg-warmer battle damaged Spidey. But I would have gotten Rhino if I'd known more villains were on the way. I can't even remember the fourth figure in that series. ( I got Daredevil.)

So I wonder if I'll regret getting Toad in six months?

Brett3xmvpfavre
06-06-2002, 09:55 AM
you know what kind of figures i want KIng of The Hill.... that would be tight.

JediTricks
06-06-2002, 07:07 PM
I think every battle-ravaged Spider-Man figure is detined to be a pegwarmer, both the Spidey Classics and Movie versions tanked big (IMO, that should have been a rare variant/chase figure). Of course, that could be from less-than-impressive finished design, they're accurate but not exciting (unlike the cartoon version of this figure of the '90s, which did better than either of these 2).

BTW, if anybody is interested in discussing this or other non-SW Action Figure stuff, check out the figures.com forums at www.figures.com/forums (yes, it's a cheap plug to get me a free expensive action figure! 10 new folks sign up and actually participate, the person who recommended those 10 get a pretty nifty freebie and those 10 people get to hang out on a forum where a few industry types actually post with some regularity.)