PDA

View Full Version : After TAC, can we not do movie-specific waves?

General_Grievous
12-30-2006, 05:20 PM
Okay Hasbro, in 2006 (and presumably, all of 2007), you've gone through the tedious process of releasing movie-specific waves.

TSC Wave 1-Return of the Jedi
TSC Wave 2-The Empire Strikes Back
TSC Wave 3-Attack of the Clones
TSC Wave 4-Revenge of the Sith

etc.

and it continues with the 30th Anniversary Collection

TAC Wave 1-Revenge of the Sith
TAC Wave 2-A New Hope

I feel that it's getting kind of boring. Plus, with waves for ESB where you've already produced most of the characters from the movie, you're looking at a lot of unnecessary repacks. I think you guys should go back to the Power of the Jedi or Saga days where you would release figures from any of the six films in one wave. After the 30th Anniversary Collection, you could have waves with at least one figure from each movie, with an EU figure sprinkled here and there to keep all the fans happy. It would also prove a good outlet to produce more TPM and AOTC figures that would take longer to produce if you continue the movie-specific waves. I was disappointed this year with your AOTC wave. Only two new figures from the movie, where it was a great opportunity to produce a Senator Padme or a Lars family. If you go back to POTJ-style waves, these figures could be released in three waves or less. I feel it would be easier to go back to waves featuring figures from the entire saga. Thanks for listening.

DarkArtist
12-30-2006, 06:06 PM
I agree. personally I liked the POTJ figures since you could get figures from both the OT an PT as well as EU.
If Hasbro is however going to continue on the movie waves ideas then make more waves and perhaps two waves per movie with a new wave being released ever two months. this way the fans have a chance to get more of the characters from each movie.
also each wave should have army building figures like stormies, clones, soliders, officers, pilots etc.

JediTricks
12-31-2006, 01:00 AM
Yeah, I don't like themed waves, I suspect they limit the designers to make figures whether or not they're inspired, which can result in bland figures or rushed figures.

El Chuxter
12-31-2006, 01:49 AM
And they can necesitate boring repackaged figures (like re-releasing the pegwarming 2006 Boushh figure).

bigbarada
12-31-2006, 02:48 AM
Yes :yes: I'm tired of waiting up to a year or two for a specific movie to come back in rotation.

Also Hasbro likes to fill out movie specific waves with core characters and that becomes a problem since every ANH wave is going to have some variation of Luke or Han (at least the 30th anniversary ANH Luke is a version we haven't seen in about 8-9 years).

Blue2th
12-31-2006, 10:20 AM
I agree. Making specific movie waves facilitates a hurry-up approach to fill the gaps with re-packs (wasn't this a Q&A question?) Though we could also get a wave that is totally bizarre. Look at TSC wave 8. there are only 4 actual movie characters. The rest are EU. Then some of these EU characters are just made up out of the blue. Guess it's better than a re-pack. Though two of them are re-pack EU characters. One is a re-pack movie character (Chewie) I can see that Hasbro comes up with some strange combinations when nearing the end of a series.

Deoxyribonucleic
12-31-2006, 03:34 PM
Yes :yes: I'm tired of waiting up to a year or two for a specific movie to come back in rotation.

Also Hasbro likes to fill out movie specific waves with core characters and that becomes a problem since every ANH wave is going to have some variation of Luke or Han (at least the 30th anniversary ANH Luke is a version we haven't seen in about 8-9 years).

Don't forget Darth Vader! :rolleyes: If I see another darth vader repack in these new waves I'm gonna spew baby sick all over! But then I guess it's less to buy *shrugs :yes:

El Chuxter
12-31-2006, 03:58 PM
I wouldn't mind an urban camo skateboarding Vader with transforming dino-buddy!

(No, I'm not trying to give them ideas. But if the folks who worked on Batman take over, it will happen!)

JediTricks
12-31-2006, 05:01 PM
And they can necesitate boring repackaged figures (like re-releasing the pegwarming 2006 Boushh figure).
YES! So true (though I like that Boushh figure), like the TPM wave rehashing that lame Ep 1 Jedi Duel Obi-Wan, that figure sucks, the only reason to include it is to fill out the wave. Or that poorly-chosen preposed Chewie & Barada in the Carkoon wave.

Blue2th, it's STILL a question, #29, it's got only 1 vote right now. :(

dindae
01-05-2007, 02:56 PM
I like the themed waves. I think kids buying the toys are more likely to buy a Garidan if he has a Luke to chase around Mos Eisley. For the most part I don't see this hurting any chances for figures getting made. If Hasbro wants to make a figure it makes the list if they don't they don't. I don't think random waves are going to increase the odds on the Lars family or Senators or ewoks or cantina patrons or Jabba Palace denizens or astromechs or imperial/rebel officers or whatever subsection of the universe tickles your fantasy. Sure it promotes repacks/resculpts but to keep new people coming in that is enevitable. However aside from the Vader with the coin book the TAC has not had any repacks which I think is a nice change. This could change but I hope it doesn't it would make the price hike last year a little more tolerable.

Blue2th
01-05-2007, 07:35 PM
Blue2th, it's STILL a question, #29, it's got only 1 vote right now. :(
How about that! It's a question now to be asked. It's good to discuss these things.:thumbsup:

General_Grievous
01-05-2007, 08:36 PM
the TAC has not had any repacks

Both Obi-Wan and the McQuarrie Stormtrooper in wave 1 are repacks. Obi-Wan is ROTS #55 with an aqua breather and the Stormtrooper was first released in 2003.

dindae
01-06-2007, 09:04 PM
Both Obi-Wan and the McQuarrie Stormtrooper in wave 1 are repacks. Obi-Wan is ROTS #55 with an aqua breather and the Stormtrooper was first released in 2003.

Guess you're right. Probably didn't bother me so much since Obi is more of a rehash but is still a "new" figure and I thought there were some changes to the McQuarrie figure as well but at least a nice repaint. Still better than last year that had Barada, Chewie, Boba, Rieekan, Vader, R2, Powerdroid, and the Snowtrooper in the first 2 waves.

Kidhuman
01-06-2007, 09:09 PM
Scene specific waves blow chunks. I liked the mixed waves. IF you wanna do them specific make em OT/PT specific.