PDA

View Full Version : George Lucas and Star Wars Floats!!

vulcantouch-mom
12-31-2006, 02:58 PM
Heyyyyyyyyyyyyyy, just read about George Lucas being the Grand Marshal for the 2007 Rose Parade - http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16408029/ - and - AND - they've got a "..Three Piece Star Wars Spectacular..." set of floats. Geez, this would've been the ONE time Jéan T would've watched any of that paradelol - - well, maybe he would've - - taping it and fast-forwarding to the floats to see the workmanship and imagination it takes to render the images.

Say, does anyone know the significance of the name "501st Legion"? It's what the fan club name for those who'll be dressed as the 200 Stormtroopers marching behind a Darth Vader. Hmmmmmmmmmmm, I may have to catch that.

vulcantouch-mom :) :) :)

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!

JediTricks
12-31-2006, 03:54 PM
Somehow, I see Jean watching or taping the parade and then having a jolly good time ripping it to shreds, everything down to the colors, then he'd have a few favorable things to say at the end. ;)

This is such an odd choice for Rose Parade grand marshall, I'll tape it but it's not quite enough to make me go down there to the insanity - parking and seating is destroyed in Pasadena during this, it's only a few miles east of me but scary! Every year, even in bad weather, dozens people sleep on the sidewalks for days in advance for their seating, it's so strange to see these streets littered with campers.

The 501st legion is an organization of fans who make their own stormtrooper armor (now other Star Wars armor as well), 2007 will be their 10th year and they've grown to over 3,000 members strong, in the past few years they've started doing a lot of public functions, even doing some charity.

Anyway, hope you have a good new years Carolyn, take care and keep warm! :)

vulcantouch-mom
12-31-2006, 04:41 PM
Yeah, I can imagine it gets pretty wild down there around the parade. Don, my Brother-in-law said it used to be free and now they sell tickets? Is that correct? I always thought it was free. They lived in Riverside (March AFB) during their last station before he retired. Geez, streetpeople by choice!

That's cool the fan club makes their own uniforms. How did they come to have the name "501st"? I can't wait to see them.

Here's a toast for y'all *clink* May the Force stay w/you guys, all through the year!:thumbsup:

vulcantouch-mom

bobafrett
12-31-2006, 05:13 PM
The 501st legion is an organization of fans who make their own stormtrooper armor (now other Star Wars armor as well), 2007 will be their 10th year and they've grown to over 3,000 members strong, in the past few years they've started doing a lot of public functions, even doing some charity.

Anyway, hope you have a good new years Carolyn, take care and keep warm! :)

Carolyn, I am one member of the 501st legion costuming club. We are a group of Star Wars fans who make our own darkside costumes. I have an Imperial Stormtrooper and a Tusken Raider costume. They had us video tape ourselves in marching formations, as well as identify ourselves, then the tapes were submitted and they picked the 200 best marchers to join Mr. Lucas during the Rose Bowl parade. I didn't participate in the taping because I walk with a limp, and often after being in my armor for awhile, it gets worse. You can see my trading card at the link below.

http://www.skaught.com/501st/proofs/0523tk.jpg

That reminds me, I need to set my VCR to record the parade.

Also in the picture you can see some of my fellow troopers and Vader at a WGN news broadcast we did around the time Episode III came to the theatres. BTW I'm the middle Stormtrooper right behind the Dark Lord.

vulcantouch-mom
12-31-2006, 07:31 PM
Bobafrett, I'd seen your card when you first replied (I clicked the homepage link) and thought it was cool, but somehow never made the connection. Geeez! You even had the fabric hat in the smaller picture.:stupid: Where's my brain?!?Thanks so much for including the picture of you and 3 others, one Darth Vader. TOO COOL!!!!!!!!!!!

I wish I'd known about that before Jéan T died. I recall he was first Darth Vader, and then Obi-Wan, on Halloween, when he was in grade school. It was such fun doing the costumes. I had a blast making his helmet (started with a black plastic derby, cut the brim off and went from there) and have regretted not having any pictures of either school party OR him in his costumes! :frus: BAD Mommie!:ermm:

I'm still wondering where the "501st" title originated.

As I just LOVE watching marching troops, I'll be SURE to catch your fellow legion members tomorrow. BTW, who will be Darth Vader, or is it a secret?

And - AND - hey, if General Grievous can cough and the Battle Droids can "OW!!", I think you should consider your limp a 'special effect' (but if it hurts, and it probably does, I'm thinking, that wouldn't be a good idea. ;)) and most certainly add to the ambiance. :thumbsup:

I told Mom about your group and we'll both be watching for your fellow legion members tomorrow morning. The Force will be with them!

Later, Dude:cool:

LTBasker
12-31-2006, 08:19 PM
They never really explained where 501 came from, but Tycho has a good theory about it mentioned in a thread a couple weeks back.

On a sidenote, a 501(c)(3) is the tax code for a non-profit organization, which is why I think the 501st Legion originally chose that number for their costuming club. Vader's Fist legion was named as a tribute to that fan group which provides many forms of charity work done by fellow Star Wars fan enthusiasts.

I may have to record this parade, I wanna see the reactions to a huge line of Stormtroopers. :D

vulcantouch-mom
12-31-2006, 08:59 PM
not an easy task for one with a large nose :eek: - :laugh: and I located this which speaks well of this elite group - the FIST of Darth Vader! -
http://www.starwars.com/databank/updates/news20051028.html - WOW! Who knew?

Interesting link, also - http://www.starwars.com/community/news/family/news20060919.html

This just gets better and better. You can get a DVD of the parade and I'm wondering how good the shots would be of the 501st? What is it they say in Pasadena? - Once you've been in the Rose Parade you've arrived? - - Just kidding. I really think it's cool having representation in a historical event WOO HOOOO!

bobafrett
12-31-2006, 10:55 PM
They never really explained where 501 came from, but Tycho has a good theory about it mentioned in a thread a couple weeks back.

I may have to record this parade, I wanna see the reactions to a huge line of Stormtroopers. :D

LT if you do record it, could you make a copy for me? I am having issues with trying to get my VCR to record. I'm making my third attempt to check to make sure I can record it seeing as I work during the parade time. I think it has something to do with the way I have the cable box to the VCR to the TV wired up. I want to see the legion of Stormtrooper brethren marching in the parade.

jonthejedi
01-01-2007, 04:16 AM
When is this on E.S.T....11 am? On ABC, I'm assuming.

LTBasker
01-01-2007, 09:00 AM
LT if you do record it, could you make a copy for me? I am having issues with trying to get my VCR to record. I'm making my third attempt to check to make sure I can record it seeing as I work during the parade time. I think it has something to do with the way I have the cable box to the VCR to the TV wired up. I want to see the legion of Stormtrooper brethren marching in the parade.

Sure, I'll look for a blank VHS later today. I won't be recording it via VCR, I'll be recording onto DVR but I can play it later and have it record to a VHS.

I imagine this sort of thing will be posted on youtube and/or video google as well.

JimJamBonds
01-01-2007, 12:26 PM
I happened to flip through the channels and stopped on the parade right when the SW float was on screen, it was pretty darn good looking! The Jedi that were guarding the float was a nice touch, the guy that played Anakin really looked like Hayden (no HC jokes please).

vulcantouch-mom
01-01-2007, 02:15 PM
I appreciate the time they took to show the first float, but wish they'd spent more time on the 501st who looked TERRIFIC!!!!!!!!!! Well DONE, Gentlemen! I did have to sit through the whole parade, not wanting to miss anything important (SW;) ). You should feel very proud of your association. I'm particularly happy they cited the "from all over the world" because y'all ARE!

Well, Dudes, I'm gonna try to get some sleep in my co-op bedroom (Jéan T’s room where Ken's staying and I 'borrow' when he's out of town visiting his sister, Sarah). I'm talking troo by doze ad ca't breed good :( . Bronchitis and coming laryngitis is making is even MORE fun :tired: . Y'all have a great new year, I'll peek in again later, when I'm not quite so germy (AhhhhhhhCHOOOOOOO!).

Tootles y 'all:thumbsup:

VT-mom :) :) :)

JimJamBonds
01-01-2007, 11:45 PM
There was a fellow from my neck of the woods who marched in the parade.

http://www.htrnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2006612310523

JediTricks
01-01-2007, 11:58 PM
Don, my Brother-in-law said it used to be free and now they sell tickets? Is that correct? I always thought it was free.Well, it's still free if you can find a spot to sit on Colorado blvd, but much of the street is taken up by bleachers they start building in November to begin with, and those bleachers can be pretty expensive. With over a million people lining the streets for the parade, free seating is next to impossible to get.

Jean would have had a field day with this parade, their "our good nature" theme left many of the floats uninspired and underwhelming. :D I was really impressed by Honda's dragon battle float though, and Oklahoma's rocket pack guy was just great.

I dunno who wore the Vader costume at the parade today, nor the Chewbacca or Boba Fett or R2-D2 or C-3PO costumes, I doubt they were 501sties though (maybe Fett).

I watched the parade on local TV, I didn't really care for either Star Wars float, and the marching by the 501st wasn't done well in the coverage I saw, and Lucas was a crappy grand marshall. I'm mean. :p And channel 5's Michaela Pereira kept calling our favorite wookiee "Chewie Chewbacca"... :rolleyes:

Anyway, feel better soon Carolyn!

LTBasker
01-02-2007, 03:59 AM
Yeah, it was pretty disappointing. Georgie just sat back in his little car and was like 5 minutes behind the SW float, I expected a Grand Marshall to actually be marching.

It was a pretty sweet sight seeing all those Stormtroopers but the way they were marching looked really really uncomfortable. It would've looked more impressive in a full military march rather than baby steps. The band dressed as Imperial officers was quite cool though, I wonder if Lucasfilm helped pay for those or if the 501st had to help with that.

Theed was a pretty average looking float, Endor was cool though especially with the people dressed as Ewoks. I'm sure Lucas will be putting the segment onto a DVD and adding in CGI Ewoks and droid antics though. ;)

Overall it didn't really live up to the hype.

All of the Oklahoma centennial celebration was pretty shocking though, didn't think anyone really cared. :p

jonthejedi
01-02-2007, 04:18 AM
I was bouncing back & forth between ABC & the Travel Channel. ABC all but cut out the Naboo float to interview someone. The commentator on TC kept calling our boys the 50ones...and later said..."those guys need to get a job." I was highly offended to say the least.

Mothman
01-02-2007, 07:26 AM
Shame I couldn't see any of it, living in the UK and all. Anyone got a digital copy of it? I've been trying for ages to make a stormie suit, I might just have to go borrow my schools vacuum former.

Darth Michael
01-02-2007, 07:44 AM
I don't know if this is all of it, but here is a YouTube version (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxBDOtMR7UM).

Blue2th
01-02-2007, 08:18 AM
I missed the whole thing, so thet was great Darth Michael. It's great to have YouTube around for these things.:thumbsup:

Mothman
01-02-2007, 09:50 AM
that look quite amazing, shame about the crap-tastic quality of youtube.

Cheers!

bobafrett
01-02-2007, 04:47 PM
It was a pretty sweet sight seeing all those Stormtroopers but the way they were marching looked really really uncomfortable. It would've looked more impressive in a full military march rather than baby steps.

I think they had to march in small steps so they didn't overtake some of the floats or marching bands. Look at how the band marches, I believe they take smaller steps also. I thought they looked marvelous!

The band dressed as Imperial officers was quite cool though, I wonder if Lucasfilm helped pay for those or if the 501st had to help with that.

From what I understand, we just had Stormtroopers go out there, all the rest of the costumed characters were not 501st, but I will check into that more.

SWAFMAN
01-02-2007, 11:35 PM
Darth Michael, thanks much for posting that youtube link. It was the only sight I had of the parade this year, and it was great.

I moved away from the area about 15 years ago, but lived there for 17 years. We used to drive to Pasadena after midnight on New Years Eve and park several blocks away, then walk up and down Orange Grove Blvd, etc, where the floats were lined up in preparation for the morning parade. Instead of standing or sitting still and letting the floats move past us in the parade, the floats were stationary, and we would move past all of them on a great long walk. People were always working all through the night doing final last-minute touches to the floats and you could literally walk right up to any float on the street and smell the flowers and talk with the volunteers about their floats. As JT pointed out, there were campers practically shoulder-to-shoulder lined up and down the street, most of them in sleeping bags on a blanket or a folding chair, but very few were sleeping at all through the night. It was a total festival atmosphere. It's a wonder that many of them managed to stay awake by the time the actual parade started, since everyone was up all night partying. If we woke up in time, we'd get to see the same floats on TV that we'd been an inch away from just a few hours earlier. For anyone living in that area still, I recommend bringing a thermos of your favorite hot beverage (potent or otherwise) and enjoying a late night tour of the floats!