PDA

View Full Version : Hasbro, I'm serious here: You're in trouble

El Chuxter
12-31-2006, 10:04 PM
Please, Hasbro, stop releasing crap.

I can't put it any more clearly. We want stuff from the movies, maybe some EU stuff, and we don't like to re-purchase expensive items to get new figures.

We don't want jungle-camo Battle Droids. We want Pilot Battle Droids.

We don't want Han Solo in Neon Blue Stormtrooper Disguise. We want plain old Han in Stormtrooper Disguise.

We don't want reissues of Clonetroopers in every color scheme imaginable, and we don't want every OT army builder reissued with Temeura Morrison's head. Just give us a Biker Scout who can ride his bike, and who doesn't look like he's telling his master plan to a captive James Bond.

We don't want the cheap-o Snowspeeder for a third time to get the Zev Senesca figure. I really, really would've liked to have had that character in my collection. I'm not willing to buy a third Snowspeeder for $30 to get him, when I have two others in storage.

You know what? You can say that these gimmicks are for kids. And maybe they work on the young and impressionable.

You can say that 50% of your buyers are kids. And you may be right.

But kids don't buy every single item just to have them. Kids don't have as much disposable income to spend on little plastic men as adult collectors do. And you know it. (At least, I hope you know it. If not, you're riding a short bus to work.)

Bottom line: We're sick of the crap. You've chased some completists from the hobby already, and many more of us have been broken of our completism.

From the last three waves of the TSC line, you know how many figures I want? TWO. Because I'm sick of clones, but I'm still a sucker for astromechs.

You need to stop treating Clonetroopers the way you treated Batman before you totally blew that license to hell. We know you're capable of amazing action figures, and when the line's not allowed to stagnate or step backwards, the quality constantly improves.

But, please, come on! Give us little things we want, like Yarna or a properly-scaled Grievous or an AT-TE, instead of pink and plaid and tie-dyed Clonetroopers!

Like it or not, the adult collectors are what sustained this line from 1995 to 1998, and during a few dry spells since then. If you want to get the most out of the line, make us happy. Don't save a few pennies on a mold because you can release a Clonetrooper with a happy face on his chest or some such crap.

Again, many formerly hardcore collectors are gone. And many more, myself included, are fed up and considering going that route ourselves.

Bobby Fett
12-31-2006, 10:28 PM
Well said, Chux.

I don't anticipate new waves/new lines like I used to. I bought two figures from the last wave that arrived in this part of the country. I dread going to the store to look at peg warmers. In fact, I don't go solely to look for figures anymore. If I'm already at Wally*World, etc., I'll look, but that's it.

Do a little SERIOUS market research now and then.

Kidhuman
12-31-2006, 10:50 PM
I for one am getting sick of the reissues myself. I do like the clones, but wont buy them in an abunance as I once did. Right now the local store just packed out 400 figures from the H&V wave. Thats right 4 freakin hundred of them. They are on an endcap right now and clogging pegs. Do some more research Hasbro and see that this brighjt idea of two seperate lines is working. Maybe, just maybe if you still had reps go in to the stores, you would see this debacle. They havent packed out anything for the last 3 waves because of these hemrrhoids of life on the shelves. Get a clue, give us new figures that will sell.

General_Grievous
01-01-2007, 12:27 AM
I'm quitting on clones after the Kashyyyk trooper, Galactic Marine, Airborne Trooper, and the Neyo pack, since those are the last of the ROTS clones. I'm tired of the EU clones. Heck, just clones in general. The Jango heads on OT troops are bogus too. And regarding TSC waves 8 and 9,it really mirrors the final 12 ROTS figures in 2005. Just a bunch of repaints. Hasbro really slacks off at the end of the business year, don't they? Thankfully, the 30th Anniversary figures look very promising. To me, at least.

El Chuxter
01-01-2007, 12:29 AM
The new figures do look pretty good, granted.

But do we need a different colored Starfighter for every Jedi? When do we get a hot pink one for Aayla, or one that looks like it's covered with poop for Oppo Rancisis?

Blue2th
01-01-2007, 03:36 AM
Amen. I can put up with a little Expanded Universe, but I'm getting sick of the Made up Universe. Especially when there are so many characters that could be done even as repaints that were IN the movies that have not been done yet. Let's cover all the bases before we go off in La-La land. It IS getting rediculous. We can only hope Hasbro hasn't done the Pilot Battledroid etc. because they are waiting to blow us away with an SA sculpt. Uh huh.

jedi master sal
01-01-2007, 05:31 AM
Let me be the spoiler to this thread for a moment, then you can get back to your complaining...

I'll agree that the" made-up" universe stuff isn't so needed. But to remind everyone, this is ALL made-up. Hasbro is in the business of selling toys and they feel they can get the most for their money with reissues and repaints.

As to the umpteeth clone, I'll agree that it's a bit overboard, but the one point to note is that this is Star Wars we're talking about. War, you know with many troops/grunts/etc.

Yes, I'll agree that the "jungle" camoflauge battle Droids and Super Battle droids are over the top. So let them know how you feel with your wallets and don't buy them. I've got two sets of the Battle droid and one Super, and that's it. When and if Hasbro rereleases these in the correct color, ie tan or ruddy red, I'll buy more.

we can all poo-poo about how we're not getting the figures we want. But truth be told, we ARE. Just not as fast as we'd like. Or rather, as fast as we've become accustomed too. We've become spoiled fellas. Please take a step back and realize that. I point to the vintage line. Roughly 100 different figs. That's it! Repaints and reissues aside, we are still getting several new figures each year.I'd have to guess but say at least 25-35 figs are new ones, or sensible repaints to make unique characters. We will be getting at least this many again in 2007.

You're not forced to buy everything, so don't buy what you want and leave the rest. Instead of jonesin for the next wave, think about what you are goign t do with all of these figures (and do it). Are you hanging them up on a wall, packing them away, making dioramas for them to go into? Use the time between waves to your advantage. I think way to many of us are just collecting without giving much thought to the future of our collections when it's "over."

Admittedly, I won't be going as hog-wild on troops anymore, (well after the Galactic Marine, Airborne trooper and Kashyyyk Clone-and the SA 501st...). But I had made that decision some time ago.

I promised myself to stop collecting at 40 and that's only a few months shy of 3 years away. I've also decided that 2007 is my last big year for collecting. I don't just see where there are THAT many figures I'm going to desire that heavily that I just HAVE to have them.

With exception to Padme, nearly every rendition of every major character has been done. (yes, I know not all, however no lists are needed to point out which ones). I certainly don't need to have every background cantina alien. If they are made, of course I'll get them, but if no more where ever done, I'd be rather satisfied. Enough have been done and with just a few customs I can make the rest. Yes, I know that's not for everyone and I see your point of wanting them quicker and easier to get, rather than customizing or paying for a custom figure. I don't need Padme's family, nor even the Outlander club aliens. (Again I'd buy them as there were some cool ones-but without a playset, it would be rather useless.)

While I'm planning on making many dioramas of varying size for SW scenes, I can deal with it, if some aren't as "fleshed" out as others with figures.

So to try to summarize this. Go ahead and complain, but this is Hasbro's business model for this line. There is such a diversity of collectors out there, that one man's junk IS another's treasure. (It's one reason I ask for help with army builder, because I know many of you are sick of seeing them and if by helping me you can get rid of some figures in your area to make room for new, all the more better for everyone. Right?)

Anyway. Don't sweat my post fellas, I'm just trying to play devils advocate and maybe slow down the ill emotions here. These are just toys. We have just about everyone we could possibly want (yes with some notable exceptions).

Just try and take it easy and enjoy the ride. For you never know when that's going to come to an abrupt stop.

-Sal

DarkArtist
01-01-2007, 03:10 PM
I agree with Sal. Hasbro's deal is to make money and push product. True they would make even more money if they gave everyone what they wanted but it's just not going to happen. My stand is this, buy what you want, leave the rest or quit.
as far as repaints and repacks, yes i to am sick of the how many times we need to see a Luke, Leia, Han on new cards theme, or a camo snowtrooper, or bright pink battledroid but no one is forcing anyone to buy them.

Bobby Fett
01-01-2007, 06:17 PM
...but no one is forcing anyone to buy them.

And that's the problem - at least in this part of the country. The pegs are clogged with unwanted figures.

General_Grievous
01-01-2007, 08:07 PM
The new figures do look pretty good, granted.

But do we need a different colored Starfighter for every Jedi? When do we get a hot pink one for Aayla, or one that looks like it's covered with poop for Oppo Rancisis?

That's another reason why many completists stopped being completists. Those starfighters are a waste.

Mad Slanted Powers
01-01-2007, 09:09 PM
I'm with Sal on this one. I think the assortment of figures is quite good. The problem remains in the quantities produced, case assortments, and distribution. If not enough kids or new collectors are buying the greatest hits and other repacks, then those clog the pegs. Likewise if popular figures are shortpacked. Here, Jerjerrod is clogging the pegs at most places. Wal-Mart has a ton of figures, but they are mostly greatest hits and Tatooine wave figures. Even with the 30th Anniversary figures delayed for a bit, I still may not see the last waves of TSC. I would like to get the clones and droids and maybe a few of the repaints.

TheDarthVader
01-01-2007, 09:21 PM
I agree with everything Chux said. I was a completist too, but now I am not. This is what happens Hasbro...

DarkArtist
01-02-2007, 03:22 PM
And that's the problem - at least in this part of the country. The pegs are clogged with unwanted figures.

and sadly that the problem here to. here hoping the stores will either put the figures on clearence racks or ship them back to hasbro.

Kidhuman
01-02-2007, 05:32 PM
The only issue with shipping them back to hasbro is the will be opened and repacked onto a new(ish) card.

Rogue II
01-02-2007, 07:11 PM
and sadly that the problem here to. here hoping the stores will either put the figures on clearence racks or ship them back to hasbro.

It happenes every year. The Target here put the Greatest Hits figures on clearance, but left the regular line at full price. Target and Walmart both put the Titanium figures (mostly Bossk and the Sandtrooper) on clearance for around $11, which I think is still too much. The assortment of this year's Legends line seem better than the Greatest Hits choices of '06. Obviously, there are a bunch of those that will still clog the pegs, but the later Legends waves seem decent.

We all know that as long a people keep buying the repainted Starfighters and Clones, Hasbro will keep pumping them out. I don't buy prequel toys, so Hasbro can release all the Jedi Starfighters and Clones they want, I won't buy them. The question is, which will happen first...will they run out of Jedi to make ships for or will people quit buying the ships?

I must admit, I didn't used to collect many vehicles, but since there are less OT figures over the past couple years, I've started buying re-released OT vehicles I didn't get the first time, like the Snowspeeder, Imperial Shuttle, and Falcon. I'll get the 30th Anniv. TIE when it comes out. Partly because it is more like the Vintage TIE, and partly because its cheaper than the big-winged TIE.

Jargo
01-02-2007, 09:36 PM
you can only market to kids while a movie is out. they have a short attention span that goes from the release of the movie to the following christmas and by then they've found a new movie that's cool and has shiney product. so that's a possible eight months of time to sell to kids and have them leap upon the new product when the movie is released and then their interest wanes and finally cools by year end.

after that it's down to the adult collectors and obsessives to scoop up the product and keep the line going. which means time to stop making kid aimed stuff and time to start reading those wishlists and acting on them.

personally i can't stand clonetroopers. even with the rainbow colour schemes they still all look the same to me. they aint got the same appeal as original trilogy troopers where there's a wide variety of uniform styles and unique characters to choose from. clonetroopers are all the same. same head same body armour all in body armour. ultimately quite dull.
I'd like to see more Imperial officers like Daine Jir and Praji from the tantive IV capture. or captain Khurgee from the death star docking bay. Childssen from the cell block. the one who utters the immortal "you rebel scum" line in the endor bunker.
or something really cool like a stormtrooper who you can push in his little bum canister and he screams the wilhelm scream as he falls off whatever you push him off.

or more rebel officers like Evram lajaie and Bob Hudsol and Willard. or guys in the same uniform as Madine. a new rebel fleet trooper with super articulation.

or how about some more ewoks or Kaminoans or any of the million and one coruscanti. who had amazing costumes and would look really cool as figures.

forget your main jedi too and give us the background fighters and secondary jedi like Bultar swan and roth del masona, different species, variety, something to keep us interested.

and as much as I love astromechs, a bit of variety in the droids too. the prequels have given us tons of worker droids and service droids. I mean what's the point of the mustafar lava miner with no lava flea or lava collector droids? Why make the Polis masan figure but no maternity droids? and no padme either.

vehicles and pilot figures for those vehicles need to be released at approximately te same time not months apart.

lets have some cohesion to this line please. a sense of stuff being part of a building scene not a lone figure with nothing to give it context or make it worth buying.

and please please please ditch those ancient kenner vehicle molds once and for all. they were great in their day but they do not cut the mustard now. nostalgia or no nostalgia. if we're paying so much for goods then at least the price should be worth paying. new product, better scaled, better detailed, better painted, better planned and executed. and yes I'm primarily talking about the falcon and the Y-wing, the tie fighters. it's not acceptable to produce a correctly scaled tie fighter one minute and then shove out the underscaled one yet again. why did you bother improving to just step backwards? it's insane.

and a firing missile in the cargo bay doors of the falcon? oh yeah that's really accurate and worth the retool. maybe, just maybe actually putting doors there might sell more. refitting the inside and giving it some resemblence to the movie vehicle might sell more. fixing the rear panel so it doesn't drop off when you turn the vehicle upside down might help. or maybe just make a new one and get it right. increase the scale, forget the ratchet sound gun turret mechanism. just having swivel guns top and bottom is ok. a cockpit that looks right and can fit figures properly is all you need, a space in the hull where you can sit the figures of Luke Ben and Chewie, a working drop down cannon in the outer hull from ESB. an extra landing gear (ESB again) to give the thing more stability and those working cargo bay doors. working entrace gangway that will stay in place and not pop out of joint.
I like the glowing engine, i like the forward lights. lose the four red light up cannon or whatever they are. lose the sounds if need be. we all have mouths and can make sounds ourselves. if we feel the need.
bigger, better, new.

you want my money then entice me to part with it. I won't be buying any old tat just because it's on a card or in a box that says star wars. and frankly, if getting a new falcon means losing all those clonetroopers and halving the number of figures put out per year then i'm fine with that. you've flooded the marketplace with so much this last couple of years it's all still hanging around. can't move for cheapo clearance deals on 2005 and 2006 stock. surely that tells you something?

Phantom-like Menace
01-03-2007, 12:56 AM
The only problem I have with clones is that I can't find them in large enough amounts. If this is Hasbro's cash cow (and to hear some whine and cry you'd think it's all Hasbro puts out), why can't I find them?

Here's a thought: if Hasbro weren't putting out clones, you still wouldn't get the figures you're looking for. You'd get Han Solo Hologram (you remember that scene from the movie, right?), Luke Skywalker (Tatooine with forlorn expression), Luke Skywalker (Return of the Jedi with new inaccuracy), and a special re-re-re-re-re-re-re-release of 500th Darth Vader.

A person can go on about how clones are destroying Star Wars collecting, but the fact is they're not clogging pegs like everything else. So I'm curious, if clones sell, is the real worry about the Star Wars brand, or are some of us just upset we're not getting what we want fast enough? It's the same mentality that feeds scalpers on eBay. Oh my god! The plastic just dried in the factories in China and I don't have the figure yet! I have to have that figure now! A soon as it comes out for preorder on eBay, I'll slap down as much money as I can afford!

That is a far greater threat to collecting than putting out figures that are actually purchased.

Every time this sort of thing gets brought up, I'll say the same thing. The difference between Bat Man iterations out the *** and clone iterations out the *** is that no one actually purchased the Bat Man items, not even at the beginning. Clones are good for everybody. Hasbro can take greater risks when there is guaranteed sales in clones. Greater risks will include obscure figures--if they don't sell well, what does Hasbro care since they made up the sales in clones? Hell, they didn't even have to change the mold for the clone. Toy lines and the people who purchase them couldn't be in a better position than to have something so relatively inexpensive sell so well. This is the sort of thing that makes toy lines prosper. It's like saying you want the country to stop producing corn because you want to eat beef! Cows eat corn! Serendipity baby! Every clone iteration you see is an investment that ensures you get whatever character you lust for. Not only is it an investment, but it's someone else's money. You don't have to spend a dime to guarantee you get your figure. All you have to do is defer gratification and everyone wins, but that goes back to my eBay example. Some of us would rather strip-mine the collecting apparatus of what it can give us now rather than actually have to contribute the simple, completely cost-free act of waiting.

And if anyone is complaining that all of these clones is hampering a completist collecting philosophy, neither a lack of clones nor an abundance of the figures you're looking for will cure OCD with compulsive hoarding, so get medicated and stop complaining.

So, Hasbro, if you have any sense in you, or if you just know which way the wind is blowing (hint: people are buying lots of clones), you might want to make more clones.

Mad Slanted Powers
01-03-2007, 01:17 AM
Cows eat corn!MOOOO! MOOOO! MOOOOVE ALL THOSE PEG WARMERS SO I CAN GET NEW FIGURES, CLONES AND ALL!

Edit - Sorry about that, MAD cow disease. :D

Rogue II
01-03-2007, 01:18 AM
You do bring up a good point, Phantom-like Menace. I forgot to complain about the re-re-re-re-re-re-re-release of 500th Darth Vader. There have been too many Vaders released (well, re-released) recently. At least people army build the clones. Your area must be full of army builders. There have been red, orange, and green(?) clones on the pegs here for a while. I just noticed some plain white clones showing up more, also. Anyway, it looks like you will get 8 color variations of clones in the Legends wave alone this year.

El Chuxter
01-03-2007, 01:31 AM
I don't have anything against Clones, or even against repainted Starfighters, but a little goes a long way. If we've been waiting almost 12 years, and we still don't have all the Cantina denizens, then logically we should have to wait for the pink polka-dotted Clonetroopers.

Rogue II
01-03-2007, 01:47 AM
I was actually hoping for a Clone 2 pack...one with a pink poodle skirt and the other with a leather jacket to celebrate the anniversary of Grease. Is it possible to get one with legwarmers and call it the Flashdance Clone? Then of course, they could do the Clone Village People Battle Pack.

What? You want some GI Joe references? Ok. Paint one black and yellow to look like the Cobra BAT. :D

Phantom-like Menace
01-03-2007, 06:41 AM
If we've been waiting almost 12 years, and we still don't have all the Cantina denizens, then logically we should have to wait for the pink polka-dotted Clonetroopers.

That's like saying you're having fish and sides Monday, steak and sides Tuesday, chicken and sides Wednesday, lasagna and sides Thursday, and pork chops and sides Friday, but you shouldn't have to eat any of the sides until you get the main dishes eaten. You're going to go hungry those last few days.

And if we're worried that the line won't last long enough for us to get our pork chops, has it dawned on anyone that the people who are threatening to quit are the people who can kill the line? It's like holding yourself at gun point. If you don't want to shoot . . . don't. Star Wars collecting is like an airplane flight with connections, but some people keep trying to hijack the plane to go straight to the final destination (not all of my analogies can involve food). I've got friends at those connections: little white-armored friends with Skittles complections and numbers instead of names. I don't jump up and down in a snit every time I see someone named Hkjafho Hsuaifus clogging a peg despite the fact he was in some integral scene of the original trilogy, so I'm not sure why anyone has any problem with clones which actually get purchased. A figure that wasn't in the movie but could have been is just as important to me as some character who was in the movie but I haven't cared to notice in three decades of watching Star Wars.

So, to directly address Hasbro again, clone troopers represent a chance to take some chances and release some figures you may or may not get lucky with. If you don't get lucky, well you've got guaranteed clone money to cover you. If you do get lucky, remember that next time.

Droid
01-07-2007, 12:40 PM
I have found myself falling out of the hobby a bit. I won't buy the Concept Art figures and know I would have just last year. I probably won't buy another Clone again. (And why do they keep having red eyes ruining the removeable helmet feature with a movie inaccuracy?)

At one time I would have bought ten Kashykk biker scouts and Galactic Marines. Now I intend to buy one of each.

I would have bought two Lave Miners, now I will buy one.

I'll probably pass on the Rebel Sentry because I think it should be red and its stance is stupid.

They've had me wait so long for the Cloud Car I don't intend to buy it anymore. I'm content with the pilots to walk around Cloud City.

I don't think I'll buy a Sail Barge even if they made it because I just don't have the space for it anymore (assuming it wasn't way too small anyway, which it probably would be).

I look at so much of what I have bought, think of the money I spent, and wish I hadn't done it. Of course, that isn't Hasbro's fault, it's mine. But I am sick of them not making figures like Yarna, that they know people have wanted for at least 11 years. And they keep telling us to be patient. I'm not sure I'll be around when they get around to some of the things I want.

I kind of wish I had just bought figures from the cantina, Jabba's palace, and a few other select scenes since those are the ones I always set up anyway. I think a lot of my figures are cool, but they stay in totes all the time so what is the point?

Hasbro is making it easier to fall out of the habit with stuff like those oddly painted comic two packs, the constant clones, the constant rereleases, and their secrecy which continues to baffle me.

jedi master sal
01-07-2007, 01:23 PM
Hasbro is making it easier to fall out of the habit with stuff like those oddly painted comic two packs, the constant clones, the constant rereleases, and their secrecy which continues to baffle me.

I agree with this (except the clones-you all know what kind of an army builder I am). But I do see the point about clones. There have been MANY released, and before we got those repaints, we should have had the likes of Yarna, Jedi Luke, etc. Heck I'd go further to say, I'd rather have had an AT-TE at $50, than the new 5th Fleet Security and 442nd Battalion troopers.I'm extremely confident that many while not buying those two clones mentioned above WOULD have bought the AT-TE for their current collection. Then there's guys like me who would have bought at least 3 of them. Much better turn around than a few action figures. I intend to only have 8 each of those two clones, which equates to just one-third of what I would have spent on AT-TEs.

Repaints of many characters and straight reissues I'm just not buying. Money saved for something else. (That something else very well could be Gentle Giant or Master Replicas stuff instead of Hasbro because of their refusal to put out the stuff we've been wanting/asking/beggin for, for some time.

I too agree that we shouldn't have to wait anymore. Many of us have years or even decades into collecting SW. Not to mention the thousands of dollars.

Hasbro for you own sake, listen to our demands, and yes they are demands. If stores are so unwilling to carry certain products then sell them online. I'm certain TRU though would be more than happy to hae the exclusive on many of these things we are craving for that the likes of Wal*Mart for instance just won't carry. (Again, AT-TE!)

Well, I've ranted like this countless times before, so I don't know how much this is really going to help. I just know that Hasbro has no more than 3 years to put out want I want and then that's it. I venture to say it's going to be like that for the majority by that time as well. Only the TV show is going to keep interest this high in that time frame and I really don't hold out that much hope for it.

-Sal

bigbarada
01-08-2007, 01:20 AM
I liked the 442 Siege Battalion Clone, but he gets a full page in the Ep3 Visual Dictionary so I wanted that version before even seeing the movie. I'll probably buy every one of that particular clone that I see on the pegs; but it's the only version I have.

The constant clone variations don't really bother me nearly as much as the constant Vaders.

Honestly though, since I dont collect full-time anymore, I like the new pace, where I'm only looking forward to 2 or 3 new figures each year.

If 2007 ends with me owning Hermi Odle, an all-new A-Wing Pilot and a couple new Ewoks, then it'll be a good year as far as I'm concerned.

jedi master sal
01-08-2007, 12:02 PM
I liked the 442 Siege Battalion Clone, but he gets a full page in the Ep3 Visual Dictionary so I wanted that version before even seeing the movie. I'll probably buy every one of that particular clone that I see on the pegs; but it's the only version I have.

The constant clone variations don't really bother me nearly as much as the constant Vaders.

Honestly though, since I dont collect full-time anymore, I like the new pace, where I'm only looking forward to 2 or 3 new figures each year.

If 2007 ends with me owning Hermi Odle, an all-new A-Wing Pilot and a couple new Ewoks, then it'll be a good year as far as I'm concerned.

Heh, I agree about the Vaders.

Hmm, a refreshing POV there BB. I can only hope that 4 figures in a year would satiate my needs. From the offerings of what weve seen for 2007, it looks like 2008 could very well come close.

Hasbor would have to break the bank on the Cantina Aliens, THEN start cranking out Outlander Patrons. After 2007, there really isn't going to be much of any new characters out there save the obscure. Not much in the way of army builders. Certainly for me, nothing I'm going to go crazy about getting. Well, stiffer plastic battle droids would do it, but that's about it.

-Sal

dindae
01-08-2007, 03:13 PM
I'm not sure about next year there are figures I'm excited about and others I'm not. But that is mainly due to the amount I have. No Vader is going to impress me much because I have more than I ever need. Likewise seeing R2, Obi-Wan, Mace, Han, Luke, or Anakin on a rumor list is rarely going to excite me since I automatically think "again". I think a lot of people will throw in the towel in the next couple of years because they have it all or all they really want. I will probably reach a point that I will no longer want a complete set of opened figures. I have passed on a few rehashes lately. I have a list and tell myself I will pick them up on Ebay when there is a lull and I find them cheaper then retail. But the more that list grows the less likely that I will catch up. That being said I really do hope the line go on for a while longer as there are plenty of figures I personally would like to see. But I would like to to see the line cut back to 50 figs a year and less battle pack, tins, exclusive, etc. most of the sub lines are sub par anyway.

Mad Slanted Powers
01-08-2007, 08:42 PM
Here is a problem I see. At Christmas, I'm at Wal-Mart and there is a couple standing by the tin packs looking at a list. They are looking for Anakin and Luke. In all the tons of figures they had on the pegs, they probably didn't have an Anakin or a Luke. The only way they would be able to get one there would be to buy two tin sets, but the Luke in those sets is the Hoth Luke.

If they are trying to sell to the kids, this is not good. There are a ton of figures on the pegs that the kids don't want and the collectors already have or don't want either. For parents going into the store and looking for some Star Wars toys for their kid, it would have to pretty difficult to find anything much of the time. Collectors such as us are pretty good at keeping up with what is out there, and we still have trouble finding stuff from time to time. For someone who is clueless about what exactly is out there and is only going to recognize the main characters, they'll just have to rely on luck to find something. If they start checking the internet, they will be overwhelmed with the amount of figures that have been released over the years and won't know which figures would be the best to get.

Perhaps the future of the line will need something like the following to survive. My thought is to have two separate lines, kind of like what we have now with the regular line and the greatest hits line. However, I would change things around a bit.

They should choose a bunch of core figures that they can continually release as part of a Star Wars Icons line. This would be no more than 12 figures from each movie. These are figures that should be on the pegs all the time, perhaps with an increase near the holidays when kids might want them for Christmas.

The second line would be a collectors line. Since the main characaters are already in the Icons line, they wouldn't need to fill this line with yet another Tatooine Luke or Commtech Han and other rehashes. They could focus on secondary, background or EU characters. They could have one wave from each movie, which would mean fewer new figures each year. With fewer figures to produce, perhaps they could focus on better quality. Quite often, a combination of sub-par figures with poor case assortments result in a lot of pegwarmers. With better quality figures and fewer resculpts, there won't be that unpopular figure that clogs the pegs. More collectors might just become completists again.

bigbarada
01-08-2007, 10:13 PM
Hmm, a refreshing POV there BB. I can only hope that 4 figures in a year would satiate my needs. From the offerings of what weve seen for 2007, it looks like 2008 could very well come close.

Well I end up buying more than I plan to each year. Going into 2006, I was only planning on getting three figures: AT-AT Driver, General Veers and the Biker Scout. By the end of the year I ended up with a few more than that.

For everything else, I just waited until I saw it on the store shelves before deciding to buy it or not. This way it's not such a big deal if a figure isn't perfect.

As of right now, there is nothing that's confirmed by Hasbro that I'm really excited about; but the rumors of Hermie Odle, the A-Wing Pilot and vintage Bossk are enough to keep me excited for what's to come.

Plus, I think Hasbro owes us a couple of Ewoks.:yes:

Droid
01-08-2007, 10:25 PM
I helped a lady trying to find a Boba Fett.

I have said it before that they should just have the same basic figures on the shelves liked there is always Monopoly and Candyland. When they run out, order more. But don't keep releasing Vader over and over and over with the other new figures.

Mad Slanted Powers
01-08-2007, 11:13 PM
I helped a lady trying to find a Boba Fett.

I have said it before that they should just have the same basic figures on the shelves liked there is always Monopoly and Candyland. When they run out, order more. But don't keep releasing Vader over and over and over with the other new figures.
Exactly. The original 12 vintage figures was a good assortment. Just replace the Death Squad Commander with Tarkin. For the other movies, it's a bit harder. Not many new major characters, but the core characters have more variations in them.

Phantom-like Menace
01-09-2007, 12:38 AM
Exactly. The original 12 vintage figures was a good assortment. Just replace the Death Squad Commander with Tarkin. For the other movies, it's a bit harder. Not many new major characters, but the core characters have more variations in them.

The only problem there is public perception. If most of us notice those twelve figures are always "clogging the pegs," regardless of the reason, we're going to assume they are taking up space that would have definitely and without a doubt gone to our absolute favoritest super-cool character that Hasbro won't make simply because they had to make those twelve instead.

Mad Slanted Powers
01-09-2007, 02:17 AM
The only problem there is public perception. If most of us notice those twelve figures are always "clogging the pegs," regardless of the reason, we're going to assume they are taking up space that would have definitely and without a doubt gone to our absolute favoritest super-cool character that Hasbro won't make simply because they had to make those twelve instead.Yes, but they usually make a lot of those twelve every year anyway. This year we got Luke, Han, Chewie, Tusken, R2-D2, C-3PO and Vader x 2. If they mix all the figures together like they have this year, then maybe those in the core line would prevent new figures in the collector line from showing up. If done properly though, they should be separate. Put them in different packaging. Not just a different color, but a different style that would make it so that those stocking the shelves couldn't mix them together on the same pegs. Another option would be to just make the collector line an internet thing.

jedi master sal
01-09-2007, 09:00 AM
Yes, but they usually make a lot of those twelve every year anyway. This year we got Luke, Han, Chewie, Tusken, R2-D2, C-3PO and Vader x 2. If they mix all the figures together like they have this year, then maybe those in the core line would prevent new figures in the collector line from showing up. If done properly though, they should be separate. Put them in different packaging. Not just a different color, but a different style that would make it so that those stocking the shelves couldn't mix them together on the same pegs. Another option would be to just make the collector line an internet thing.
Your on the right path there MSP.

We all moan about core figures taking up slots that should be filled with other characters. I for one do NOT want to see a core character line.

Think of it this way, the case the figs come in say "Star Wars 3.75 action figures." Do you really think a stock person is going to pay attention to or care that the figures are on two different cards? I don't think so. And Hasbro would be remiss to try and sell two lines at once. It would confuse parents for sure. Not only that but at the same pricepoint, you'd have to even ask yourselves why? To differentiate core characters from others? Needless. If the two lines were different pricepoints, then people would be asking why. And here's the dilema there-Core figures sell better, especially at Christmas time. So do you charge more for them? OR do you charge more for the background obscure figure because you don't know if it's going to sell well, so you charge more to make the most off of initial sales and hope for the best? Charging less for the collectors line doesn't mean those figures are going to sell more or quicker.

I just don't see the need for two seperate lines. Certainly stores aren't going to allot more pegs for these. We'd be lucky to see 3 pegs each for each line, and that's just enough for a case maybe case and a half of figures. THink how hard it would be to find the new collector line figures. That and when the collector line sells through, don't you think the store managers will put out more of the Core characters figures to fill up the leftover space (rather than have empty pegs)?

Think this through fellas.

Most of us collectors do not need any more core characters. So the only ones buying this are kids and their parents. And I've seen enough kids looking at figs and not asking for core characters, but other characters like clones and other named Jedi. These kids are getting caught up on core characters as well. So there really isn't much of a need for them.

The only time really that I'd say this would be a good idea to have more core figs would be at the end of the year during the holiday season. Make this something Hasbro does annually and people will get used to the fact the they can find core characters at this time. Then those only looking for them will know when to shop. Plus, it gives us the added bonus of having a break. We'd have some money to spend on other stuff (like family, heh) for Christmas. Really, we now know that Hasbro plan is to rehash figures. So they should do that for the last quarter of the year. Core characters and popular characters could reign supreme then. Then when the new year hits, new collector focused characters for the next 3 quaters (9 months).

DarkArtist
01-09-2007, 09:58 AM
this could also not be Hasbro's doing as far as releasing the core characters over and over again but it could be an issue given by Lucas that Hasbro must release core characters in every assortment or every other assortment.

dindae
01-09-2007, 11:50 AM
Honestly I think Hasbro is doing better now than ever with keeping the flow of figures coming. We have the occasional pegwarmer like Holo Ki Adi or Dofine but that is going to happen regardless. There are character like Vader and C-3PO that are core characters that are out in mass but they are selling. The nice thing about the Greatest Hits is that Hasbro can dump figures out sporadically to fill up the pegs and doesn't feel obligated to change it every month or two or even send out cases all year like the main line. I'm not worried that a kid or parents can't find a specific main character for a year. Hasbro has tried the Core character line thing before with the whole Collection 1 and Collection 2 thing with varied results.

Phantom-like Menace
01-10-2007, 05:47 AM
What if they put core characters on a rotation in casepacks of new figures? Say there are five waves in one year, and the first wave has Anakin and Luke, the second has Obi-Wan (prequel) and Han, the third has Maul and Leia, the fourth has Vader and Chewbacca, the fifth has Obi-Wan (sequels) and Lando.

Those names are fairly random, so arrange them as you see fit. There would be only one of each of the two in the casepack.

bigbarada
01-10-2007, 08:48 AM
Honestly I thought Hasbro did pretty good with keeping core characters and collector friendly characters in decent proportions.... EXCEPT for the "Heroes & Villians,""Greatest Battles," and other "Greatest Hits" lines.

It drove me nuts waiting for the Endor troopers and Endor Luke (who I still haven't found), only to walk into Wal-Mart and find the pegs clogged yet again with Clones, pregnant Padme's, Darth Vaders, and whatever other garbage they couldn't sell through during the Ep3 hype and just slapped onto a new card.:upset:

If Hasbro had just stuck to the one action figure line (and not diluted the brand with Unleashed Battle Packs, Titanium figures, etc), then it would have been a great year for getting new stuff.

DarthBrandon
01-10-2007, 09:27 AM
Honestly I thought Hasbro did pretty good with keeping core characters and collector friendly characters in decent proportions.... EXCEPT for the "Heroes & Villians,""Greatest Battles," and other "Greatest Hits" lines.

It drove me nuts waiting for the Endor troopers and Endor Luke (who I still haven't found), only to walk into Wal-Mart and find the pegs clogged yet again with Clones, pregnant Padme's, Darth Vaders, and whatever other garbage they couldn't sell through during the Ep3 hype and just slapped onto a new card.:upset:

If Hasbro had just stuck to the one action figure line (and not diluted the brand with Unleashed Battle Packs, Titanium figures, etc), then it would have been a great year for getting new stuff.

I agree totally with this BigB:thumbsup: , for the most part in my city the unleashed are not a problem (they sell pretty quick), it's the Titanium figures & Transformers that are clogging the shelves at TRU. Walmart has nothing as usual here & I fear I will not get the 4 Commander Appo's/ Cammo Biker Scouts & droids that I'm looking for in the last waves. It's pretty sad that out of all the Titanium figures that are taking up shelf space I only bought one (501st) because I do not have any regular 3 3/4 inch figure versions of them. I did not buy a single figure out of the Hall Of Fame or what-ever they are calling it because I refuse to pay $3 more for figures slapped on to a new card that were $4 cheaper the year before & I still did not see any 501st clones out of those as well.

I really am slowing down compared to previous years & this year it's no exception, I'm tired of searching & getting P.O.'d because Hasbro has screwed the pooch once again & made it hard to get things because retailers won't carry anymore because their shelves are already full with previous waves that won't sell. This year it's possible that I will only get less than twenty figures & one ship. When I first started years ago you could times that by 5 or 6 for figures & ships, not anymore; if my son wants some things then Santa can take care of it for him.

Hasbro has failed me for the last time. One action figure line properly managed would do quite well IMHO (and they still haven't managed that one just yet) imagine if they tried two.