PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars in the Rose Parade

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-01-2007, 04:53 PM
Is there really no thread about this already (besides the news one)?

Anyway, I thought the floats and whatnot were pretty damn slick. I watched the HGTV coverage of it since they had a behind-the-scenes special beforehand, and they went a little too quickly past it. I remember reading that there would be Ayy Vida-style Twi'leks as well as Oola ones, but I didn't see any.

Mad Slanted Powers
01-01-2007, 06:54 PM
I had it on ABC. They cut away as the Naboo float was showing up, so I switched to NBC. They were just starting with the Star Wars floats and showed both of them pretty well. I believe ABC earlier had shown an interview with the guy who was Darth Vader in the parade and they talked about the 501st.

I wasn't paying close attention, so I didn't catch Lucas on there at all, other than NBC showing a picture near the beginning. I did see Lucas toss the coin before the Rose Bowl.

Whoever was portraying Anakin walking next to the float sure looked a lot like an Episode III Hayden. The one Padme on the side of the Naboo float was a good likeness too from what I could tell.

C5Jedi
01-01-2007, 08:40 PM
It was fun to see but the only thing I didn't like was how much of a brain trust was needed among organizers to figure out the SW floats/stormtroopers should have been put in front of the car carrying Lucas. And not have him come along 30 some minutes later after the SW floats...

JediTricks
01-02-2007, 12:45 AM
I watched local channel 5, their coverage of the parade is usually pretty good but not this year, everything went by too fast and Bob Eubanks is an old coot (and new addition Michaela Periera is a doofus calling our wookiee pal "Chewie Chewbacca" over and over). I didn't care for either float, the Naboo one was good in theory but came off plain because they were too true to the source material and the waterfalls got lost, the Endor one was too busy and small to really make much out. I hope Lucas makes this an annual tradition though, LFL rose parade floats would be awesome for every year. I thought the 501st weren't as good as they should have been, but that marching band in officer uniforms sounded great and that was a lot of fun. Lucas was a sucky grand marshall I thought, he just didn't do or say enough, and while we were all impressed with Oklahoma's rocket pack guy (that gimmick still works 40 years later) I think it was insulting to the poor suckers in the parade stands that Lucas gave the rocket guy his attention to shake his hand while driving past.

I noticed a different marching band in a totally unrelated section of the parade playing the Throne Room march from the Rebel celebration at the end of ANH, that was cool, they sounded really good doing it, and it came off a non-SW tune so it didn't feel like they were just there to advertise SW.

figrin bran
01-02-2007, 12:50 AM
Eubanks was such a fruit tart for poking fun at the 501st not once but twice. he called them "a bunch of groupies" and then said they "need to find jobs".

i didn't care for the floats either and feel that with the 30th anniversary, the focus should've been on ANH imagery. how about a giant R2 float? or a Death Star, Mos Eisley Cantina, a Falcon, an X-wing or even a Rebel Medal ceremony float?

C5Jedi
01-02-2007, 12:57 AM
I watched local channel 5, their coverage of the parade is usually pretty good but not this year, everything went by too fast and Bob Eubanks is an old coot (and new addition Michaela Periera is a doofus calling our wookiee pal "Chewie Chewbacca" over and over). .

Yeah I thought Eubanks was out of line with those comments about the 501. It's a parade not a convention - relax and enjoy it. I think he was ticked off as he went out of his way to mention Lucas was the only grand marshall not to give a video intro to them this year as in past years.

Did you watch through the ending as the people cleared out - where they interviewed (for an extended time) one of the float judges who happened to be Howard Kazanjian (Producer of Jedi) - was cool to see him again.

Mad Slanted Powers
01-02-2007, 12:57 AM
i didn't care for the floats either and feel that with the 30th anniversary, the focus should've been on ANH imagery. how about a giant R2 float? or a Death Star, Mos Eisley Cantina, a Falcon, an X-wing or even a Rebel Medal ceremony float?I'm guessing that Endor and Naboo fit in better with the "Our Good Nature" theme that they had. Tatooine, Hoth and the Death Star don't convey that theme as well.

figrin bran
01-02-2007, 01:13 AM
I'm guessing that Endor and Naboo fit in better with the "Our Good Nature" theme that they had. Tatooine, Hoth and the Death Star don't convey that theme as well.

awww, come on now, tatooine has plenty of wildlife! dewbacks, banthas, rontos. what could be better than a float that's a patch of desert with moisture vaporizers? :thumbsup:

JediTricks
01-02-2007, 01:21 AM
Oh, and btw, when was the last time you saw a "spectacular" which lasted only 4 minutes?

Yeah I thought Eubanks was out of line with those comments about the 501. It's a parade not a convention - relax and enjoy it. I think he was ticked off as he went out of his way to mention Lucas was the only grand marshall not to give a video intro to them this year as in past years.Yeah, that was weird of Eubanks to point out, all whiney and pathetic like that, but he WAS technically right, Lucas barely could even phone it in.

Did you watch through the ending as the people cleared out - where they interviewed (for an extended time) one of the float judges who happened to be Howard Kazanjian (Producer of Jedi) - was cool to see him again.No, I didn't see that part, once they started the sign-off I split, what did he say? I wonder why he was chosen as a judge.

I'm guessing that Endor and Naboo fit in better with the "Our Good Nature" theme that they had. Tatooine, Hoth and the Death Star don't convey that theme as well.Yes, that's very true. I think the Endor one should have been twice as big and had way more stuff going on. The Naboo one was super plain, they should have done a Felucia one to show nature on other planets instead (not that I'm forgiving the use of prequel elements to celebrate the SW 30th anniversary, but it would have fit better).

C5Jedi
01-02-2007, 03:33 AM
No, I didn't see that part, once they started the sign-off I split, what did he say? I wonder why he was chosen as a judge.
).

I thought the Floats, Lucas, and the parade itself overall was good. The commentators seem to be always bad on all the stations.

Kazanjian talked about being one of the judges and what criteria they had to go by on the floats and voting and selections. Talked about specific floats which they reshowed. He had a lot of on camera time. They must have spent around 10 minutes. ....

When she asked what made him give the endor float a prize, he said that he bowed of the voting on the two Lucasfilm floats since he produced Return of the Jedi a few years ago.

There was no reaction from either of the talking heads when he said that so I'm not sure they even knew Jedi was one of the Star Wars movies. They went back to asking him about when he first saw all the floats with the other judges, etc.. I was hoping they would at least ask him what he was up to next?

He graduated from the usc film school plus the connection to Lucasfilm I would imagine is why he was selected to be a judge...

bobafrett
01-02-2007, 04:57 PM
Eubanks was such a fruit tart for poking fun at the 501st not once but twice. he called them "a bunch of groupies" and then said they "need to find jobs".

Bob Eubanks can stick it up his concieted a**. Most of the 501st do have jobs and we do this on a volunteer basis. We do many great things like making visits to very sick children, and different other benefits like the "Relay for Life". We never get paid for what we do, we do it for the love of Star Wars, and Lucas was giving us a nod for all of our work by letting many of our troops march in the parade.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-02-2007, 05:47 PM
Bob Eubanks, the game show guy? What a d*** for saying that.

The commentators on HGTV were stupid, but not mean . . . the lady said, "What's your favorite Star Wars movie?" After several seconds of silence, a guy said, "They're all so good, how can you pick one" or something like that. It was pretty obvious that he'd never seen them.

CaptainSolo1138
01-02-2007, 08:12 PM
I was flipping thru the channels and realized about fifteen or so channels later that the float I saw kinda sorta looked like Naboo. I didn't care enough to bother going back fifteen or so channels the other way.

And to those of you getting bent out of shape about whatever it was Bob Eubanks said, consider this: His "job" was to sit behind a desk and comment on parade floats. I work harder than that taking a dump in the morning.

figrin bran
01-02-2007, 09:47 PM
bobafrett, if you really feel strongly about this, there's a link on the official SW site that takes you to ktlachannel 5 which is the LA station where mr. eubanks made his disparaging comments.

http://blogs.starwars.com/A_P_L/2

bobafrett
01-03-2007, 05:45 PM
bobafrett, if you really feel strongly about this, there's a link on the official SW site that takes you to ktlachannel 5 which is the LA station where mr. eubanks made his disparaging comments.

http://blogs.starwars.com/A_P_L/2

Thank you ever so much figrin bran. I did fire off an e-mail to the station management!

One of the hardest working members of the 501st!

figrin bran
01-03-2007, 11:41 PM
no problem, bobafrett. i'm going to write them a letter myself. over the years of being at this and other SW related boards, i've heard a lot about the great work that you guys do and i know that you don't so much as receive a penny for it. it really made me angry when i heard those comments during the broadcast.

jedi master sal
01-04-2007, 07:21 AM
Thanks Fig for that link. Here's my e-mail I sent to them:

I am writing to inform you of my extreme displeasure at the remarks Mr. Eubanks made during the Tournament of Roses Parade, considering the 501st Star Wars fan group. While I realize the comment was in jest, it is completely unfair and goes to show how immature even people well into their years can be. Each member of that group is a hard working, citizen. And that' whether they be citizens of our country or the 20+ other countries that have 501st clubs within them. Also, the amount of charity work these folks do is astounding. I've had the pleasure of doing charity work with them in the past and they take it seriously. The visit children's hospitals all of the country, participate in charity walks (in full armor no less!), toy drives for underprivileged and/or sick children, etc. George Lucas gave them a great opportunity by allowing them to be part of his Star Wars section of the parade this year. It was given for the most part because of stated charity work. How dare someone make mockery of them. Does Mr. Eubanks honestly think these folks just "play" Star Wars 24/7? Probably not, but is he justified in taking a crack at them too? No, I say. We in the fan community of Star Wars expect an on air apology for his remarks. Not from your management, but from him personally. Those folks take enough criticism at other venues, be they conventions or the like. This was an opportunity for them to shine, in light of their generous giving of their time and devotion. Not to Star Wars, but to their respective communities for the charity work they do. Please do the right thing and bring Mr. Eubanks on the air to apologize for the remark. Perhaps if he were to go on one of these charity outings with one of the 501st groups, he'd gain a much better appreciation for what it is they do and what they are about. And besides, that would make for a great human interest story for your station.

Respectfully submitted,
Chris "Sal" Salerno
University of Pittsburgh
Public Relations
University Marketing Communications
----

I made sure to use my Pitt e-mail, so it looks more official, that and the department name I work for. Perhaps that I work in Public Relations, they migh take notice of this more. Who knows.

-Sal

bobafrett
01-04-2007, 09:39 AM
Very nice letter Sal! Greatly appreciated. I get to see first hand how these folks work, and we get plenty abuse from everyday people when we go out and do public appearances without having to have it done televised.

jedi master sal
01-04-2007, 11:52 AM
Very nice letter Sal! Greatly appreciated. I get to see first hand how these folks work, and we get plenty abuse from everyday people when we go out and do public appearances without having to have it done televised.

I used to be a member of the 501st. (SL-5174) ( http://www.garrisoncarida.com/members/SL-5174.php ) And while I was summarily booted (for BS reasons), I don't hold that against the whole group. Just two people. And no, I won't go into details. No reason to beat a dead horse.

I'm happy to send the letter. I hope it makes something happen.

-Sal

El Chuxter
01-04-2007, 12:04 PM
Okay, forgive my naivete, but how structured is the 501st? I always thought it was a loose organization, rather than something you could actually be kicked out of? :confused:

jedi master sal
01-04-2007, 03:20 PM
Okay, forgive my naivete, but how structured is the 501st? I always thought it was a loose organization, rather than something you could actually be kicked out of? :confused:

It's structured enough. There are varying sizes of groups. Garrsion, squads, outpost. It all depends on the amount of members each group has. There's a Garrison Commander, XO and then possibly another minor officer, again depending on size.

The squads have a squad leader. Though I can't recall if they answer to the Garrisons in their area. I don't think so as it's a logistics thing most times. Outposts can be one-man operations, up to, IIRC, 4 men. After that it becomes a squad.

There are also Legion Officers. Some are elected from the whole of the Legion (like the Legion commander and XO), while others have just plain been there since the beginning or very near so.

Since they've been recognized officially by LFL, they are even more stringent on membership.

bobafrett
01-04-2007, 08:11 PM
We had a member kicked out for filming something that he wasn't supposed to. It was unfortunate, but someone leaked it onto the internet, and LFL got wind of it, and came down hard on this person.

jedi master sal
01-05-2007, 07:47 AM
We had a member kicked out for filming something that he wasn't supposed to. It was unfortunate, but someone leaked it onto the internet, and LFL got wind of it, and came down hard on this person.

Heh, I actually had no infraction whatsoever. Let's just say it was an internal difference of opinion and leave it at that. There's more, but as I said, no reason to bring up the past.

masterjedi
01-08-2007, 08:35 PM
Is there really no thread about this already (besides the news one)?

Anyway, I thought the floats and whatnot were pretty damn slick. I watched the HGTV coverage of it since they had a behind-the-scenes special beforehand, and they went a little too quickly past it. I remember reading that there would be Ayy Vida-style Twi'leks as well as Oola ones, but I didn't see any.

Any idea if they're showing a repeat of the behind-the-scenes?

Bel-Cam Jos
01-28-2007, 07:06 PM
I posted these in the "Happy New Year" thread in Misc., but I suppose I can re-post the pics here. After the parade ends, you can view the floats up close. The SW ones had some parts removed or shifted, but you can still tell the details in the pictures decently (minus human wavers, of course ;) ).

Okay... the site won't let me post them twice, so here's the link to the thread: Happy New Year! (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=33818)And the geek in the picture is still a dork, BTW. :rolleyes:

Bel-Cam Jos
01-01-2008, 11:57 AM
Happy New Year 2008!

In this year's Tournament of Roses Parade (119th annual), one of the last floats, from New Mexico I think, they had the standard green thin aliens in a spaceship moving around to the Cantina Band theme song! Dun dun dundun dunna dunnana da da dun dun...

Mad Slanted Powers
01-01-2008, 12:06 PM
I was looking on my on-screen guide to see what channels were carrying it, and one station had last year's description, saying it was the 118th edition with George Lucas as Grand Marshall. It was the station that used to have the WB on it (the former UPN station now has the CW). The HD version of the station had no sound when I flipped over to see their coverage.

I missed the Cantina Band. I had NBC on until 9:30, but I was eating breakfast and then taking down the artificial Christmas tree. ABC still had some coverage after that but I didn't watch anymore.