PDA

View Full Version : boba fett

Darth Jax
01-03-2007, 10:10 PM
why all the fanboy love for boba fett????

he was a character introduced very briefly to audiences in ESB as a just one of many bounty hunters hired by Vader to help in the search for the Falcon. He manages to arrive on Bespin before Han and simply stands in the shadows while Vader and his stormtroopers do all the work in appreheding their prey. later in ROTJ we're treated to a ridiculous sequence of events leading to his apparent demise. he didn't even rate a name in ESB.

nowhere on screen is there anything that should inspire admiration for the character or seem to indicate why anyone should be afraid of fett hunting them. he does have a cool gun, but stormtroopers have much better armor - fett's is mostly a jumpsuit with a chestplate and knee pads.

the EU does even more to diminish his character.

i'd imagine this question has been posed before, but i was unable to find a similar thread.

Kidhuman
01-03-2007, 10:38 PM
I think it was more the mystery surrounding him in the OT. He appeared, got Solo and then went out like a punk. He was cool looking, armor, missile, jetpack. It was something unseen at that point in any movie. The whole "No disintegration" line got some people wondering and portrayed him as a bad a55.

Agreed, EU and AOTC diminished any mystery surrounding him. Bringing him back from the Sarlaac killed it for me. If it was left alone and mixed with AOTC, alot more people might still be on the fan boy bandwagon for Fett

Rocketboy
01-03-2007, 10:45 PM
Yeah, the mystery was big part of it. But I think his look also played a big role. That costume was/is awesome.

Slicker
01-03-2007, 11:34 PM
He's still a little bi*ch that got killed by a blind guy.

figrin bran
01-04-2007, 01:12 AM
the 1979 Mail away figure plus his appearance in that masterpiece known as the Holiday Special were probably the 2 key factors in the legend that was Boba Fett.

plus he's got that cool jetpack ;) (see 2007 Rose Parade and people's responses to the dude that flew on a jet pack)

El Chuxter
01-04-2007, 02:29 AM
Because he got nasty with Sabe after the events of ROTS.

Don't believe me?

Good, I don't either.

bigbarada
01-04-2007, 07:04 AM
the 1979 Mail away figure plus his appearance in that masterpiece known as the Holiday Special were probably the 2 key factors in the legend that was Boba Fett.

plus he's got that cool jetpack ;) (see 2007 Rose Parade and people's responses to the dude that flew on a jet pack)

This is pretty much it, a lot of his popularity comes from him being the first Empire Strikes Back figure released back in 1979. One year before ESB premiered, with packaging that claimed he would be a "major new character" in the Star Wars saga. Which turned out to be an exaggeration, since he's a secondary character at best.

He's a plot device in ESB more than an actual character, and just window dressing in ROTJ and the ANH:Special Edition.

Add to that the whole rocket-firing fiasco and he was causing quite a stir before ESB was even completed.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-04-2007, 12:33 PM
He also got a Topps ESB trading card featuring just him (did you know he was 43 years old in ESB?), an ESB 12" figure that wasn't impossible to find (see: IG-88), had a CB chat room (kidding... back in the early '80s it would've been a teen mag: Fett-tastic! hee hee), had everyone in the movies (minus Vader) wary of him for unknown reasons, etc. We just wanted to know MORE about Boba Fett, and actually, unless you consider EU stuff, we still didn't get much.

JetsAndHeels
01-04-2007, 03:42 PM
Because his great grandfather, who he is named after, fought for the Confederacy in the Civil War.

Private Robert A. Fett aka Bob. A

Jayspawn
01-04-2007, 06:14 PM
Because Boba Fett is just awesome! He's cool, stealthy, mysterious, quiet, and has a cool ship and armor. As a character who does say much, he stands out from the crowd in coolness.

Rogue II
01-04-2007, 06:42 PM
He also got a Topps ESB trading card featuring just him (did you know he was 43 years old in ESB?), an ESB 12" figure that wasn't impossible to find (see: IG-88), had a CB chat room (kidding... back in the early '80s it would've been a teen mag: Fett-tastic! hee hee), had everyone in the movies (minus Vader) wary of him for unknown reasons, etc. We just wanted to know MORE about Boba Fett, and actually, unless you consider EU stuff, we still didn't get much.

I remember that card. He looked pretty cool standing there. Boba Fett was the only 12" figure I had as a kid...except for the Bionic Man.

He didn't seem quite as cool to me after ROTJ...then his EU stories came, and he was even less cool. Then Lucas put those extra shots of him in the SE, and he was getting a bit annoying. Finally, he appears in AOTC in kid form...and his father has a lame death, and well, I don't have the same fan-boy love I had for him when I was 7.

Kidhuman
01-04-2007, 07:13 PM
His dad went out better than he did, have to admit that

Rogue II
01-04-2007, 07:17 PM
His dad went out better than he did, have to admit that

Run over by some sort of rhino prior to having his head lopped off by a Jedi Council member? I suppose you're right. It's more dignified than being killed by a blind guy with a stick.

Darth Jax
01-04-2007, 08:51 PM
did vader pay him the bounty for solo, since all he did was provide a location and vader actually had to capture han?

Kidhuman
01-04-2007, 09:47 PM
Vader paid for the services to catch them and rtack them, Jabba paid the actually bounty

JediTricks
01-04-2007, 10:23 PM
Boba Fett is cool because he's akin to Clint Eastwood's the man with no name, Fett's even got a spurs-style sound effect. He takes orders from Vader but he doesn't take crap from him, Vader doesn't treat him like just any old punk. And Fett gets more done without having to do as much, he tracks the Falcon, he helps trap Han & Luke, and he makes off with his bounty without turning all soft-hearted a la Lando. And he's battle-worn but still standing tall, his armor is dented but covered in equipment, he's got a crazy-lookin' ship, and carries a tough blaster rifle. ROTJ and AOTC can't diminish the cinematic impact that Boba Fett first left in ESB.

2-1B
01-04-2007, 10:29 PM
Dad ! Taun We's here!

Bel-Cam Jos
01-05-2007, 12:46 PM
Dad ! Taun We's here! Aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!! [thunk] [roll, roll, roll... belch]

Hey, if your dad was named after a block-stacking game that can be chanted in a TV commercial (jan-go... jan-go... jan-go), you'd go wild on the disintegrations, too. Wouldn't you?

mabudonicus
01-05-2007, 01:06 PM
I think it has a LOT to do with the 300th Fett figure- anyone who can still exist after getting that HORRIBLE rent in his codpiece deserves my respect

And it's funny, after startinbg a thread about it elsewhere that went a few pages (before we were all banned, not mentioning any names) we STILL don't know "how did boba fett really died"

And I suppose it would be time to ask the question about if anyone cried when he DID died, whenever that was...

:beard:Isobaws&

bigbarada
01-05-2007, 01:51 PM
Boba Fett is cool because he's akin to Clint Eastwood's the man with no name, Fett's even got a spurs-style sound effect. He takes orders from Vader but he doesn't take crap from him, Vader doesn't treat him like just any old punk. And Fett gets more done without having to do as much, he tracks the Falcon, he helps trap Han & Luke, and he makes off with his bounty without turning all soft-hearted a la Lando. And he's battle-worn but still standing tall, his armor is dented but covered in equipment, he's got a crazy-lookin' ship, and carries a tough blaster rifle. ROTJ and AOTC can't diminish the cinematic impact that Boba Fett first left in ESB.

Now that I've had a chance to watch ESB again, I think you may be right.

In ESB he comes off like an old-pro who's seen it all and is two steps ahead of all the heroes. Han's tactic of latching onto the backside of the Star Destroyer fooled everyone EXCEPT Boba Fett. It even appeared to fool Vader, whether it did or not we don't know.

Boba Fett was a smart bad guy in a film where it seemed like the Imperials' IQs were dropping every second they were on screen.

Plus, name another film bad guy who essentially "wins" at the end of the movie. Vader didn't get his way, since he was after Luke, but Luke escaped (and this was the fourth time that Luke had eluded Vader). Boba Fett entered the movie looking to capture Han Solo and left the movie with Han in his custody (plus, he showed no remorse or pity for the horrifying state of Han's imprisonment) and the heroes, even after all their efforts to rescue Han, weren't able to keep up with Fett.

And the most remarkable thing was that Boba didn't seem to be exerting a whole lot of effort into any of this, he had the Ace of spades in his hand, but all he needed to defeat our heroes was the 3 of diamonds. It was all in a day's work for him.

The impression that he left was strong enough that his death scene in ROTJ instantly seemed wrong. Non-fans of Boba weren't really paying any attention to it, since bad guys were dying stupid deaths throughout the film. Fans of Boba Fett knew that he couldn't really be dead.

You have to remember that there were three years in between ESB and ROTJ. That's three years for Fett's "legend" to grow in the minds of kids.

So I believe that by 1983, there was no stopping him. I even remember Lucas saying that if he had had any clue whatsoever that Boba Fett had become as popular as he was, he would have given him a much more dignified death in ROTJ.

That's got to drive Lucas nuts, especially considering how much money and time he poured into making the Ewoks and Jar Jar marketable.

Kidhuman
01-05-2007, 03:51 PM
And it's funny, after startinbg a thread about it elsewhere that went a few pages (before we were all banned, not mentioning any names) we STILL don't know "how did boba fett really died"

:beard:Isobaws&

All I know is someone has a pocketful of slaps awaiting anyone with a certain POV.

El Chuxter
01-05-2007, 04:52 PM
Hey, they might even throw the book at you if you start that here. ;)

Now that would be a fun time.

JediTricks
01-05-2007, 05:54 PM
Dad ! Taun We's here! Nope, sorry, never happened. Must have been some sort of "What if...?" "Elseworlds" situation.

Plus, name another film bad guy who essentially "wins" at the end of the movie. Vader didn't get his way, since he was after Luke, but Luke escaped (and this was the fourth time that Luke had eluded Vader). Boba Fett entered the movie looking to capture Han Solo and left the movie with Han in his custody (plus, he showed no remorse or pity for the horrifying state of Han's imprisonment) and the heroes, even after all their efforts to rescue Han, weren't able to keep up with Fett.

And the most remarkable thing was that Boba didn't seem to be exerting a whole lot of effort into any of this, he had the Ace of spades in his hand, but all he needed to defeat our heroes was the 3 of diamonds. It was all in a day's work for him.Awesome points, totally true and well-put.

So I believe that by 1983, there was no stopping him. I even remember Lucas saying that if he had had any clue whatsoever that Boba Fett had become as popular as he was, he would have given him a much more dignified death in ROTJ.

That's got to drive Lucas nuts, especially considering how much money and time he poured into making the Ewoks and Jar Jar marketable.Yeah, Lucas did indeed say that not too long ago, shows how in-touch he was with Star Wars when ROTJ was made. :( (that does explain why ROTJ suffers so many indignities though). I think Lucas has to spend a few restless nights over the Jar Jar thing, waking up in a cold sweat screaming "WHYYYY?!?" and then shooting Jar Jar in the face by writing such diminished roles in Eps 2 and 3.

El Chuxter
01-05-2007, 07:08 PM
Didn't Lucas or McCallum also promise three or four years back that Episode III would feature Boba Fett and a lot more info on why he hates the Skywalkers? (Which seemed odd, even at the time, since he never seemed to care one way or the other about Luke.)

figrin bran
01-05-2007, 11:06 PM
Dad ! Taun We's here!

i thought you hated EU, Caesar! :D

very excellent points that you brought up bigbarada! :thumbsup:

so here's what happens...sometime after the events of ROTS, Boba Fett as we know him from AOTC is killed by someone named Jaster Mereel. essentially, Mereel steals Boba's identity plus the armor and Slave 1 and goes on to become the bounty hunter we all know.

bigbarada
01-06-2007, 01:02 AM
i thought you hated EU, Caesar! :D

very excellent points that you brought up bigbarada! :thumbsup:

so here's what happens...sometime after the events of ROTS, Boba Fett as we know him from AOTC is killed by someone named Jaster Mereel. essentially, Mereel steals Boba's identity plus the armor and Slave 1 and goes on to become the bounty hunter we all know.

Thanks, and that goes for you too, JT.

Y'know the Fett fans collectively ignored his "death" in ROTJ. There's no reason we all can't do the same for his "origin." ;)

I like the idea of there being two Boba Fetts, the false Boba that we saw as a kid in AOTC and who died in a pathetic manner in ROTJ; then the real Boba Fett who outwitted everyone in ESB.

bigbarada
01-06-2007, 01:07 AM
I think Lucas has to spend a few restless nights over the Jar Jar thing, waking up in a cold sweat screaming "WHYYYY?!?" and then shooting Jar Jar in the face by writing such diminished roles in Eps 2 and 3.

Maybe Lucas could digitally replace the human skull that Luke picks up in the Rancor Pit with a Gungan skull, then we'd all know the final fate of Jar Jar.:D

2-1B
01-06-2007, 02:48 AM

We also don't know how Dengar really got all of his bandages, either. :(

I think Lucas has to spend a few restless nights over the Jar Jar thing, waking up in a cold sweat screaming "WHYYYY?!?"

JT, are you sure he doesn't wake up on the "NOOOOO"ller Coaster ? :confused:

JediTricks
01-07-2007, 09:37 PM
Y'know the Fett fans collectively ignored his "death" in ROTJ. There's no reason we all can't do the same for his "origin." ;) I wouldn't even call myself a "Fett fan" per se, I think Boba Fett is cool but I don't own any Fett merch that isn't an action figure. All the same though, I've always felt comfortable ignoring his "death" in ROTJ, and I pick-n-choose out nearly everything about the prequels so altering his "origin" is no problemo. :D Then again, I kinda liked Jango even though he wasn't half the bounty hunter Boba was, so I've started the idea that Jango's clone is really just an extension of Jango rather than a "son" and that there's a much less sucky origin out there waiting to be heard.

I like the idea of there being two Boba Fetts, the false Boba that we saw as a kid in AOTC and who died in a pathetic manner in ROTJ; then the real Boba Fett who outwitted everyone in ESB.Oh man, but then you've got to get into the Jodo Kast thing. "The 13 faces of Boba Fett" :p

Maybe Lucas could digitally replace the human skull that Luke picks up in the Rancor Pit with a Gungan skull, then we'd all know the final fate of Jar Jar.:DNiiiiice. Where else can we stick Jar Jar that would further reduce his dignity? Maybe we could digitially add his corpse into the droid trash room on Cloud City, or when Luke and company are in the garbage masher. :p The only risk here is that Lucas might go back, have 3PO break down, and Jar Jar decide to wear the coverings to take his place. :eek:

JT, are you sure he doesn't wake up on the "NOOOOO"ller Coaster ? :confused:YESSSSSSSSsssssSSSSSSS!!! Maybe he wakes up and he's tied to it. ;)