PDA

View Full Version : Vtac

Old Fossil
01-05-2007, 12:57 PM
Anybody heard anything about the upcoming Vintage assortment for 2007? Or is it a bit early to expect early production images?

I am eagerly awaiting pictures of the Snowtrooper from this wave. Who else is "confirmed," aside from Bespin Luke Skywalker?

Rogue II
01-05-2007, 01:32 PM
In a recent Q&A, Hasbro said they were saving the line-up and pictures for Toy Fair.
But, someone on another site had a rumored list. I believe IG-88, Bossk, and some form of Han and Leia were on it. At some point, Hasbro said that Jawas were not going to be done vintage style in 07.

DarkArtist
01-05-2007, 01:46 PM
so far the only confirmed figure is the Luke in Bespin Fatigues, but I am hoping that the rest of the figures will be released during Toy Fair. here's hoping.
from what the rumor boards list, there is a Leia Endor Battle Gear, Imperial Snowtrooper, Luke Bespin, IG-88, Han Solo

bigbarada
01-05-2007, 02:32 PM
I'm excited about the possibility of a SA, soft-goods Snowtrooper. It'll be nice to have a Snowtrooper figure that can actually kneel down.

The Bespin Luke would be fine, as long as he's not battle damaged (he wore that outfit through most of the movie without looking like he had just got hit by a truck, so we do need a non-battle damaged version). I had really kind of hoped that we would see an SA Jedi Luke this year though.

Bespin Han Solo, this would be only a minor improvement over the POTJ Han Solo, so I'm not too excited about it (it doesn't help that it's his most generic outfit of the entire saga). Plus, I really hope they don't try something stupid, like giving him a felt coat (like they did with the VTSC Greedo). I would actually prefer this to be a Hoth Han Solo, so the Snowtrooper will have someone to pick a fight with. :)

Endor Leia, she does need to be made, since we haven't seen a new version of this figure in almost ten years. And I hope they give her at least the same number of accessories as the vintage figure. I'd probably be more excited about her if there was some kind of confirmation that we really are going to see some Chief Chirpa quality Ewoks in 2007.

Bossk, awesome!:thumbsup: I'm really excited about the idea of a SA Bossk. The Saga version was a definite improvement in the sculpt but was stuck in a stupid pose and could barely hold his gun in his hand (if you breathed too hard within five feet of the figure, it would fall out). So I'm looking forward to a definitive version of Bossk.

IG-88, I don't know what they can do to improve the POTJ version.... at all.

Jargo
01-05-2007, 03:02 PM
According to rumours.....

Basic Vintage:

87308 Bossk
87307 Han Solo (Bespin Outfit)
87309 IG-88
87305 Imperial Stormtrooper (Hoth Battle Gear)
?????? Jawa (light-up eyes)
87306 Luke Skywalker (Bespin Fatigues)
87304 Princess Leia Organa (Endor Battle Gear)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-05-2007, 03:47 PM
And as stated above, we won't get the Jawa. He is, however, being released in the basic line with a LIN Droid; I doubt he has light-up eyes, but he'll probably have those retarded ones that they've had before.

Bossk - really? There have been two versions of him already, and he didn't do anything except stand there and growl. I understand he's a cool character but enough is enough.

Han Solo - this could be good. Hopefully for this third vintage Han we'll actually get an all-new sculpt, with a better holster that's attached to his hip (like Garindan).

IG-88 - kind of like Bossk . . . this one will undoubtedly look exactly like the POTJ one and have extra articulation that nobody needs.

Snowtrooper - if it's done as well as the Stormtrooper and Biker Scout, this should be amazing. Hopefully it's all-new.

Luke Skywalker - I'm looking forward to this. I hope it's better than the weird-necked X-wing Pilot.

Princess Leia - it's about time for a new one. She'll look good with the recent Endor Luke.

Jargo
01-05-2007, 04:10 PM
there's not a single one I want there. Bespin is my least favourite location in the SW galaxy, followed by Hoth. ESB is a good movie in terms of action, plot, acting but i hate the look of it. it's all really dated and locked into 1980's design styles. even the colour pallete (sp?).
I've been quite unimpressed with the choices for the vintage assortments. and yes, those chinless heads need to go. either normal rotation or make the base of the neck ball jointed. the top of the neck ball jointed just looks bizarre.

El Chuxter
01-05-2007, 04:54 PM
Bossk is a stupid, stupid idea, but so was Greedo, and we got that one. So I, sadly, don't doubt Bossk is likely.

figrin bran
01-05-2007, 11:09 PM
I like Bossk but can't hasbro see that he just does not sell. the unleashed didn't sell, the titaniums are still rotting on the shelves...

bigbarada
01-06-2007, 01:29 AM
I like Bossk but can't hasbro see that he just does not sell. the unleashed didn't sell, the titaniums are still rotting on the shelves...

If I recall the POTF2 figure was something of a pegwarmer also.

While I do like Bossk, I think I can only take him in small doses. I remember when Hasbro released the Unleashed figure and Gentle Giant released the mini-bust and it seemed like everyone had their fill of Bossk just a few weeks before either of those items came out.

I saw the Unleashed Bossk in stores for months and held out as the price dropped lower and lower, eventually I found him for $4.75 at Hastings (a regional equivalent of Barnes & Noble). :cool:

The Titanium Figure series is just crap overall, why would someone want to pay $15-$20 for a 4" statue? They already put the Bossk figure on clearance here once, but no one is biting. I don't even think I'd pay $3 for that tiny, inarticulate piece of crap.

Bosskman
01-06-2007, 08:23 AM
I love Bossk. I'm thinking of having a side collection of Bossk stuff - all Bossk. I'm even considering getting Bossks from lines I don't collect for various reasons and seconds of Bossks I already have to display with my Bossk collection. I'm not joking here. I freakin' love Bossk. I know I'm in the minority though.

Blue2th
01-06-2007, 11:46 AM
I was wondering how in the world anyone might think you like Bossk, Bosskman? lol I have almost every Bossk made I think. Waiting for the Titanium one to go down to something like $5 before I buy it. Really though, I welcome any figure that has the detail of these. I would rather see Bossk or say a Death Squad Commander, or something else unusual besides main characters. Though ROTJ Luke is high on everyone's list me thinks.

Devo
01-06-2007, 12:13 PM
No idea what they'll do with IG-88 either. Its really not going to lend itself well to superarticulation, as if anyone needs an SA IG-88 anyway considering he just stood there. The POTJ one was absolutely sufficient.

Bossk could do with a sculpt that can stand up straight I suppose. Wasn't top of my list but OK.

The rest needed to be done for definite. Though like DADDYPANTS I really could do without balljointed necks on the human characters - they look brutal. I prefer the original POTF2 Han head over the VOTC/VTSC!! And put it on my VTSC endor Han, even sacrificing the swivel articulation simply because I hate the VTSC head sculpt and it was inappropriate for ROTJ. I too want an entirely new sculpt for the Bespin Han, no reuse of old VOTC parts.

El Chuxter
01-06-2007, 12:17 PM
I freakin' love Bossk, too, but face it. The POTF2 was perfect for the time, and didn't need resculpting. The Saga version is very nice, but doesn't add more than a couple of joints. What else can be done to improve him?

It's actually a stupider idea than Greedo, if you get down to it. Greedo's first figure had a pinhead. It made sense to redo him once. That first Bossk can still stand up alongside even the newest figures.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-06-2007, 02:02 PM
I freakin' love Bossk, too, but face it. The POTF2 was perfect for the time, and didn't need resculpting. The Saga version is very nice, but doesn't add more than a couple of joints. What else can be done to improve him?

It's actually a stupider idea than Greedo, if you get down to it. Greedo's first figure had a pinhead. It made sense to redo him once. That first Bossk can still stand up alongside even the newest figures.
I actually like the newest version of Greedo the best. The 1996 one's head was too tiny and the 1999 one's neck was too long. Granted, I don't think it needed to be a vintage-style figure, but it was still the best of them all.

But, there's really nothing they need to make Bossk better. I would've much rather had a different figure . . . they should use this line to make SA versions of figures that need it, not to redo random characters that nobody wanted.

K M Toydarian
01-06-2007, 02:50 PM
Especially, as we have been seeing, since the VTSC etc figs are trickling out in rereleased sets and repainted carded, I would like to see a figure that I might want again soon, or someone might have missed. I don't think a vintage style Bossk will lend itself to being rereleased soon. We just had a Bounty Hunter set!
I know they all don't get redone, but I could of gone for a hammerhead or Ackbar or Nien Numb.

bigbarada
01-06-2007, 02:59 PM
There are really only so many possibilities for ESB, considering there were only 31 figures (30 if you don't count Boba Fett), in that line.

The only vintage ESB figures that we haven't seen new versions of in this century are:
2-1B
Hoth Leia
4-LOM
Zuckuss
Ugnaught

I guess you could split hairs and say that we don't have a proper remake of the Hoth Rebel Soldier, Rebel Commander, generic AT-AT Commander and the two vintage versions of the Bespin Security Guards. But do you really believe that any of those would be good choices for Vintage-style figures? They're second rate army-builders so it'd be silly to make them at $10 a pop.

We're getting an Endor Leia, which is a better outfit anyway, so that rules out Hoth Leia. We just got a pretty decent Bespin Leia (do we really need another figure with that outfit?).

2-1B had a memorable part in the movie, but there's not much you can do to improve the POTF2 figure without giving him super-soft, rubbery limbs. Plus, I would rather see him packed as a deluxe with a dead TaunTaun (probably not going to happen, but it'd still be awesome).

They seem to be shying away from small figures (like the Jawa or Wicket) because of the $10 price tag. So that rules out the Ugnaught.

So that pretty much leaves 4-LOM and Zuckuss. THose guys are more obscure than Bossk! Plus would Hasbro recreate the naming error? If they were going to make the figures in proper vintage style, then they should; but that would probably just confuse the crap out of people.

Bespin Luke, Snowtrooper and Bespin Han would be good choices and they are already on the rumor list.

This vintage-style line is a little different, because I believe Hasbro is choosing figures based on how they look on the card. Because obviously the vintage-style card is a big draw of this line.

The first series was just getting the main characters out there and testing the waters for interest. With the second series, you could tell that really nice card photos was a factor in choosing which figures to do.

Honestly what are our other choices? SA Lobot? I would love to see an SA TIE Fighter Pilot, but that would be more of a rerelease of the Saga figure with some extra ball-joints. Not really something I want to pay $10 for.

Honestly, before this line starts to get very stale, very quickly, I believe Hasbro should start considering the POTF figures. The "last-17" Star Wars figures are legendary and one of the main reasons that Star Wars collecting is still here today.

El Chuxter
01-06-2007, 04:08 PM
Vintage Greedo is the best Greedo so far.

But the 1999 one wasn't so flawed that it screamed to be remade more than, say, Tarkin or Piett. And especially not as a VOTC.

They won't admit it, but someone at Hasbro has a major man-crush on Bossk. Two seconds of screen time, and he's not only had two, soon to be three figures that were pretty close to perfect, but an Unleashed, Galactic Hero, and Titanium? It's an awful lot of attention for such a minor character, cool-looking or not, and each one seems to have more attention focused to its design than figures from the same line produced at the same time. (Especially that Titanium. It's the only one that looks buyable, and is clearly a totally new sculpt, as opposed to just casting an old figure in metal.)

bigbarada
01-06-2007, 05:51 PM
Vintage Greedo is the best Greedo so far.

But the 1999 one wasn't so flawed that it screamed to be remade more than, say, Tarkin or Piett. And especially not as a VOTC.

They won't admit it, but someone at Hasbro has a major man-crush on Bossk. Two seconds of screen time, and he's not only had two, soon to be three figures that were pretty close to perfect, but an Unleashed, Galactic Hero, and Titanium? It's an awful lot of attention for such a minor character, cool-looking or not, and each one seems to have more attention focused to its design than figures from the same line produced at the same time. (Especially that Titanium. It's the only one that looks buyable, and is clearly a totally new sculpt, as opposed to just casting an old figure in metal.)

I kinda have a boy-crush on Bossk too.:love:

lol

Which is kind of odd because I had the vintage figure as a kid and I hated it soooo much that I was actually kind of traumatized by it. But he was the only figure I had for the longest time until I traded him off for a Gamorrean Guard.

Yes, the Bossk Titanium figure is the best of that line so far, but those metal statues are just not different enough from the regular action figures to justify their own toy line.

Personally, I'm looking forward to the vintage-style Bossk figure, once I heard that he was on the rumor list I instantly got excited about this new line.

So, whoever it is up their at Hasbro who shares this boy-crush for Bossk, I feel ya, brother! :thumbsup:

General_Grievous
01-06-2007, 07:52 PM
I think Bossk and IG-88 will be the first "Vintage" figures I'll skip, if they happen. I think the POTJ IG-88 sculpt is the best we'll get with that character, and the 2004 Saga Bossk is great, too. I don't see how Hasbro will top those. But we do need a new Bespin Luke, Snowtrooper and Endor Leia. Badly. And I hope the new Bespin Han doesn't have soft goods. It would have been nice to see a new vintage-style Wicket instead of the Bossk or IG-88.

El Chuxter
01-06-2007, 07:57 PM
No diggity, no doubt. This was cute as a one-time gimmick, but an ongoing routine of overpricing figures that are no better than the ones they can sell for $7? It's way old. But if that was the way to finally get a corrected Wicket, Warok, Romba, etc, in my collection, I'd gladly pay $10 each for them.

I'm still leaning toward "no" on this entire set, unless they pull some cheap stunt like "send in all your proofs of purchase to get the stinkin' Tey How or SA Qui-Gon we should've made by now, but we're too busy making a rainbow of Clonetroopers."

bigbarada
01-06-2007, 09:32 PM
That'd be great, but with the way everyone complained about Chief Chirpa being a "rip-off" I highly doubt Wicket, or any of the Ewoks, would go over any better.

We haven't seen an Admiral Ackbar for a while, he'd be a good choice. Maybe Nein Nunb.

Bosskman, where are you? I'm not feeling any love here for a vintage-style Bossk. :(

Darth Cruel
01-06-2007, 09:53 PM
I have always liked Bossk's character, but hated every single figure made for him. If we can get a GOOD SA Bossk that holds his weapon in multiple firing poses, I will truly be a happy collector and may get a couple to open one.

Rogue II
01-07-2007, 12:40 AM
I don't really think Bossk or IG-88 are really necassary, but I can't think of another character from ESB that would make sense for the VTAC line.

Some of the other choices have been done recently, like the AT-AT Driver, Cloud Car Pilot, AT-AT Commander (Veers), Hoth R2, TIE Pilot, and Rebel Commander (Derlin). Bespin Guard and Imperial Commander are probably too boring, even if they did a head variation. Dengar falls into the same category as Bossk and IG-88. The Ugnaughts are too small. 2-1B, 4-LOM and Zuckuss, could use updates, but not in this line. POTJ FX-7 is already perfect,. OTC Lobot is fine. Yoda, Boba Fett, and Lando have already been done. That leaves the Rebel Soldier, which might make sense. Like the Snowtrooper, all the previous versions aren't that great. Extra points if they put 2 different heads in the package.

Bosskman
01-07-2007, 08:01 AM
I'd buy a SA Vintage Style Bossk because I'm a loose completest as long as the figures are good but, to be honest, I could do without one. So basically, I'll get him if they make him, but I won't be heartbroken if they don't.

Old Fossil
01-07-2007, 09:39 PM
there's not a single one I want there. Bespin is my least favourite location in the SW galaxy, followed by Hoth. ESB is a good movie in terms of action, plot, acting but i hate the look of it. it's all really dated and locked into 1980's design styles. even the colour pallete (sp?).

You know, it's funny, but that's why I love ESB toys so much. Something about the early 80's SW look... very dated, admittedly not as distinctive as, say, Tatooine or Coruscant. I guess I just love sci-fi visual style of the time, which seems to have influenced ESB more than any other SW film. Or maybe it was the other way around, to an extent.(?)

JON9000
01-07-2007, 10:38 PM
there's not a single one I want there. Bespin is my least favourite location in the SW galaxy, followed by Hoth. ESB is a good movie in terms of action, plot, acting but i hate the look of it. it's all really dated and locked into 1980's design styles. even the colour pallete.

That's an interesting beef, if only because it makes me consider the rest of the OT locations. CC was really the only place that required any serious design work, I suppose, due to the plot, other than the Death Star. The rest of the sets and locations were surprisingly spartan or natural, which I think helps the films age well.

Darth Cruel
01-07-2007, 10:43 PM
You know, it's funny, but that's why I love ESB toys so much. Something about the early 80's SW look... very dated, admittedly not as distinctive as, say, Tatooine or Coruscant. I guess I just love sci-fi visual style of the time, which seems to have influenced ESB more than any other SW film. Or maybe it was the other way around, to an extent.(?)

I'm with you on this one. In truth...ESB is my own favorite of all of the Star Wars movies. It was not as busy as the others, but had a great story. And the acting was as close to good as any of the movies. Very little ridiculousness like Ewoks or Luke's childish whining. And my own belief is that the scene with the Bounty Hunters on the Star Destroyer represented a gathering of the badest badasses in the Star Wars Universe. Those 6 Bounty Hunters are not surpassed in my mind by ANY other character in the Star Wars Universe for toughness except for Han, Chewy and Luke from the good guys and Darth Vader and the Emperor from the bad guys. And so...to bring this post back around to the subject...I would be in Heaven if we were to get SA Retro figures of ALL of the Bounty Hunters. And Bossk is certainly #2 on my list for that hope. Then Dengar, then IG-88 (no, we do not have a definitive version of him yet), then Zuckuss, and then 4-LOM. Then I would be putting the files I downloaded from niubniub.com to make the deck the gathered on.

dindae
01-08-2007, 09:45 AM
I wouldn't mind any figure done in "Vintage" style. I'm a loose collector now but I really liked the look of these. If they do an IG-88 I hope they try to add some articulation. It will probably be total failure but I would like to see an attempt. Bossk could definately use some more articulation. As far as ESB goes I think it is the most comeplete movie as far as figures to characters ratio. Aside from torture rack Han I can't think of a main character that could be done. Other than a bunch of background Hoth rebels and star destroyer imperials the only scene that offers any figures is Cloud City and it doesn't offer many interesting characters.

bigbarada
01-08-2007, 11:29 AM
Aside from torture rack Han I can't think of a main character that could be done.

Carbonite Chamber Han Solo - with the clean white shirt and shackles
Battle of Hoth Luke Skywalker - with the bulkier flight suit, snow boots & gloves and the "harpoon gun."
Medical Frigate Luke - hospital gown
Medical Frigate Leia - pretty much her ANH outfit with a different hairstyle
Smuggler Lando - from the very end of the movie

Rogue II
01-08-2007, 11:46 AM
Battle of Hoth Luke Skywalker - with the bulkier flight suit, snow boots & gloves and the "harpoon gun."

Remember, this line puts new figures on Vintage cards. Since none of those were carded Vintage figures, they wouldn't fit in this line. But, I wouldn't mind seeing any of those (especially a Torture Rack Han) in the regular line.

bigbarada
01-08-2007, 11:53 AM
Remember, this line puts new figures on Vintage cards. Since none of those were carded Vintage figures, they wouldn't fit in this line. But, I wouldn't mind seeing any of those (especially a Torture Rack Han) in the regular line.

Of course, none of them would work for the vintage line, I was just responding to dindae's comment that there aren't any versions of main characters left to do from ESB.

dindae
01-08-2007, 12:19 PM

Dammit I knew someone would pull out one or two but five. I feel shamed. Still my main point was the ratio of figures umade was probably the most complete.

bobafrett
01-08-2007, 02:04 PM
I'll buy the whole lot of them, just because I am addicted. I, after all, bought the 3PO which turned out to be an overpriced piece of carp.

Jargo
01-08-2007, 03:22 PM
I'd accept a redo on 4-LOM, the POTF2 one is so wide legged and stiff. and has that same feel to it as the very first POTF2 C-3PO. Zuckuss with a soft goods robe/coat would be a cool vintage figure. an interesting one for the hasbro team to tackle. I think they did ok with the tusken raiders crumpled soft goods so could do ok with Zuckuss. A swoop riding Dengar would be cool.
in fact vehicles for the bounty hunters would be cool. or at least Bossk seeing as he turned up in Jabba's palace with dengar. I always imagined bossk to have some sort of spikey looking vehicle, bristling with grappling hooks and cannon fired entrapment nets. a crude prisoner cage in the rear.
Dengar i could imagine having some sort of bulky blobby snub vehicle. with a crude stasis chamber in the rear. sort of like each bounty hunter having differing methods for catching and keeping their bounties.
Zuckuss and 4_LOM I think would have an organic looking craft, maybe insectoid in basic theme but not crass insectoid so it looks like a bug more the sort of seperate cockpit and bulk of the hull. maybe with detachable cockpit so it's like two craft in one.
maybe when hasbro gets through with the clone obsession they'll do something cool for the bounty hunters.

TheRealDubya
01-18-2007, 03:06 PM
I'll buy the whole lot of them, just because I am addicted. I, after all, bought the 3PO which turned out to be an overpriced piece of carp.

I agree -- the Vintage Style roped me back in after being out for years. I'll buy each and every one they make. Maybe the mail-in will be Nien Numb or Ackbar, like in the old days?

Anyways, I'm pumped to see which ones we're getting this year. I love having them on my shelf; even better when the figure is exceptionally good (like the Biker Scout or Stormtrooper.)

DarkArtist
01-18-2007, 03:18 PM
I didn't know there was to be another mail-in with the VTAC this year. hopefully it will be something worth mailing away for.

Old Fossil
01-18-2007, 03:28 PM
I agree -- the Vintage Style roped me back in after being out for years. I'll buy each and every one they make. Maybe the mail-in will be Nien Numb or Ackbar, like in the old days?

A super articulated Admiral Ackbar mail-away figure. THAT would be cool.

jedi master sal
01-18-2007, 03:46 PM
A super articulated Admiral Ackbar mail-away figure. THAT would be cool.

Even if not SA, Admiral Ackbar would be a cool choice as he was the first, IIRC to have to mail away for (not including the early birds) from the vintage line.

What I can remember was that I was the first in my neighborhood to get him and was like the Rock Star of the neighborhood for awhile. Heh. Kids coming from blocks away just to see the Ackbar figure. It was crazy cool back then.

Kidhuman
01-18-2007, 03:47 PM
Boba Fett actually was the first mail away not counting early birds.

Old Fossil
01-18-2007, 03:57 PM
There was 4-LOM (Zuckuss, for latter-day collectors) around the time of ESB.

bigbarada
01-18-2007, 06:58 PM
Vintage mail aways were:
1. Boba Fett
2. Bossk
3. 4-LOM
4. Admiral Ackbar
5. Nein Nunb
6. Emperor
7. Anakin Skywalker
8. Yak Face was being held as a mail away for the POTF line, but the line was cancelled before Kenner could run the promotion.

TheRealDubya
01-18-2007, 08:16 PM
I didn't know there was to be another mail-in with the VTAC this year. hopefully it will be something worth mailing away for.

I don't think it has been confirmed, but I recall Hasbro tap-dancing around it in a Q&A awhile back. A SA Ackbar would certainly be my first choice as vintage carded figure, if we are choosing from the original mail-aways. That or a Rick McCallum in Gamorrean Guard disguise. :pleased:

Jargo
01-18-2007, 08:52 PM
how odd. i was just thinking about a SA Gamorrean as i entered this thread. And what would make it cool is if the gamorean could somehow come apart so his upper half fitted in the moth of the Rancor. fabric fur loincloth, removable helmet, gun holster, pike, gun. Ball jointed waist, knees, shoulders, head. Pivoted hips, ankles, elbows. Swivel wrists, biceps, thighs.

Rancor lunch action feature as described above.