PDA

View Full Version : new comics 1/5

Dominic Guglieme
01-05-2007, 06:08 PM
Well, as this is more catch-up from late last year, expect short reviews for the most part.

-misc issues of 52: This series alternates between decompressed and aimless tedium. Skip it. Anything of value or interest (which assumes you care about DC minutia to begin with) will be retreaded elsewhere.

-All Star Superman #6: This one is actually pretty good. Morrison does a good job of evoking the old Pre-Crisis (circa 1960) Superman comics. Aside from the ominous "to be continued" (meaning most of this issue may be functionally undone), this is a good read.
Grade: B Use it to fill out your haul this week.

-Transformers v/s GI Joe volume 4 #1: Something about the nature of this cross over makes typing "volume 4 #1" seem really odd. As many expected, this series is more or less spectacle. After one realized that this story is purely even driven, the pacing works well enough. And, the fact that it is being done more quickly with 2 double sized issues makes it a bit more forgiveable. The page count and price over-all are about the same. But, there is something to be said for being led around for only 2 months rather than 4. And, Wildman's art is pretty enough to make even the tedious parts tolerable.
Grade: C Filler, but you could do much worse.

-Onslaught Reborn #2: See, now you are doing a good deal worse. There is so much wrong with this at every level. Liefeld's art is one of the better things this book has going for it. No. Seriously. Grade: F

-Legion of Superheroes #25: Well, this is either Waid being wholly self-indulgent about Silver Age characters, or a barometers about the status quo at DC. If this was not preceeded by 6 or so aimless months, this arc would be easier to stomach. Nothing has gone terribly wrong that I have yet noticed, but given the general direction of DC, and Waid's penchant for fan-wankery and retreads, things can go wrong. Any and all continuity problems (and there are some doozies) are likely to be explained away by the events of Infinite Crisis, or somesuch. Grade: C/D

-Crisis on Multiple Earths volumes 1 and 3: These volumes reprint Silver-Age DCarcs focusing on what (for the time) where the "big event" cross-overs, focusing on the JLA and JSA. All told, there is not much to say. The first volume features the Crime Syndicate. For those who do not know, the Crime Syndicate is basically "evil Justice League from another dimension", and boy, is this story as bland as the premise would lead one to think. Throw in some really bad writing at a tactical level, and you get some painful comics that illustrate exactly why many people thought DC's first bit reboot in the mid-80s was a good idea. For example, while Batman is fighting Owlman (evil Batman), Gardner Fox gets incredibly lazy. Despite the fact that Owlman has the telepathic ability to make his opponenets clumsy and inept, Batman is able to formulate and execute a truly stupid (and inexplicably effective) plan to defeat his opponent. Volume 3 was not much better. In addition to the tedious and redundant fight scenes (as in volume 1), there is more McGuffin heavy writing, and lazy conveniene. People who think only "kid" characters can be conveniently stupid should check out Red Tornado's antics. On a whim, a supposedly responsible member of the Justice League decides to jump into an inter-dimensional portal (moments after being told explicitly to not do so), and causes all manner of chaos. And, after nearly being killed by RT's stupidity, nobody seems too annoyed. In another arc, we get a story ready to be adapted into video-game form. Grade: D One thing t hat these comics show us is that the olden days of comics are not necessarily better than the moder era.

El Chuxter
01-05-2007, 06:14 PM
-Onslaught Reborn #2: See, now you are doing a good deal worse. There is so much wrong with this at every level. Liefeld's art is one of the better things this book has going for it. No. Seriously. Grade: F

Wow.

I am speechless.

This was a definite pass for me, since Onslaught is by a huge longshot the low point of the history of the Marvel Universe, IMHO. And Liefeld's only possible usefulness would be as the star of a reality series where he is repeatedly kicked in the groin and never catches on.

But Liefeld's art is the best thing here?

I may have to buy every copy in existence and burn them, so that no more of this horror may be unleashed upon unsuspecting innocents.

Dominic Guglieme
01-05-2007, 06:38 PM
But Liefeld's art is the best thing here?

Let me thing about this a bit more.

Ah, hell. Yeah. It is. The writer did not even seem to have read the old Onslaught series. Yes, it was awful, but, if you are going to write a sequel........

At least Liefeld's art.......is what one might expect. The man is consistent, give him that much. No, really. You have to. It is objectively fact.

El Chuxter
01-05-2007, 09:40 PM
He's consistent at drawing disproportionately small heads with random squiggles all over them, on musclebound, large breasted (male and female) bodies with thunder thighs and tiny pins for lower legs.

The only thing he's inconsistent about are feet. Sometimes they're just triangles, and sometimes he gets really lazy and leaves them off altogether.

darthvyn
01-07-2007, 02:22 PM
The man is consistent, give him that much. No, really. You have to. It is objectively fact.

if by consistent you mean he has two faces that he draws: one male and one female...

if by consistent you mean he has two poses that he draws: one standing and one all-purpose running/jumping/attacking pose...

if by consistent you mean he always draws the exact same amount of cross-hatched lines on the all-purpose male face (i never counted, but it's definitely up in the mid-thousands somewhere...)

if by consistent you mean ALWAYS SUCKING... then yes, i give him that much.

why anyone would shell out hard-earned money on the dumbest, most unlikely and possibly most ill-conceived SEQUEL to the dumbest, most unlikely and most ill-conceived plot-line ever to come out of the "prospecting 90's" (and that's saying a lot...) is completely beyond me.

on a side-note, do you buy ANY comics that you actually LIKE?

Rocketboy
01-07-2007, 03:44 PM
if by consistent you mean ALWAYS SUCKING... then yes, i give him that much. That has to be the one.
Or maybe consistently buttoning his fly?

on a side-note, do you buy ANY comics that you actually LIKE?I was wondering the same thing.

Dominic Guglieme
01-08-2007, 11:05 AM
He's consistent at drawing disproportionately small heads with random squiggles all over them, on musclebound, large breasted (male and female) bodies with thunder thighs and tiny pins for lower legs.

The only thing he's inconsistent about are feet. Sometimes they're just triangles, and sometimes he gets really lazy and leaves them off altogether.

Look , I never said consistently "good" did I? No, I did not. But, he is consistent. Everything you guys mentioned is stuff Liefeld always does. (And, you forgot his frequent...erm, uncredited "tributes" to other artists.....) See, with Liefeld, you know what you are getting.

Why did I by this comic you ask....I dunno. I have a thing for reboot series. I agree, Onslaught (both stories) was a terrible idea done badly.

And, yes, I do buy comics I actually like. I liked the Vos arc, up until the end. And, I gave high marks to a couple of the IDW one-shots late last year.

For future reference:

A-excellent. Worth going out of your way to pick up.
B- Worth reading on a consistent basis. No serious flaws, and does a few things very well. Likely idea based, or exceptionally well paced event driven stories.
C- few serious flaws, but does nothing expecially well. No ideas behind it. Buy it out of habit, or if you are looking to fill out a light week.
D- no ideas, or ideas badly handled. Contains serious flaws of some kind. Avoid unless you are a habitual fan. Fan-wank reliant. Often given to books that are well illustrated, but badly written (such as Beast Wars).
F- utterly without redeeming value. Glaring errors in plot, consistency, etc. It might be worth buying for a morbid laugh.

darthvyn
01-08-2007, 12:18 PM
gotcha... i just think giving liefeld ANY credit - even for consistency - is giving him too much credit.

F-utterly...

did anyone read this as one word? i did... and i think it's my new favorite word. "futterly"...

but what could it mean?

jjreason
01-09-2007, 03:19 AM
It's nearly the same as E-Utterly, which is ancient German for a whale's vagina.

F-Utterly is a mystery to me though.

El Chuxter
01-09-2007, 10:04 AM
How appropriate that such a term comes up in a discussion of the merits (or lack thereof) of Rob Liefeld. :p