PDA

View Full Version : This month marks my 10-year anniversary of collecting Star Wars figures

General_Grievous
01-06-2007, 08:03 PM
Yep, it's a big milestone for me. In January 1997, just before seeing "A New Hope: Special Edition", I bought my first four Star Wars figures from a KB Toys. They were orange card POTF2 Luke Skywalker, Chewbacca, C-3PO and R2-D2. Just after seeing the ANH in theaters, I went to Toys R Us with my dad and got a big pile of figures. Han, Monkey Face Leia, Darth Vader, Obi-Wan, Yoda, Stormtrooper, Lando, and a few others. That same year I got caught up on all of the POTF2 figures, plus the Millennium Falcon, X-Wing, and TIE Fighter. The rest is history. For most of my life I've been endlessly pouring my cash into the Lucas bank...and I'm still lovin' it! Here's lookin' at ten more years! How long have you guys been collecting?

El Chuxter
01-06-2007, 08:12 PM
Since 1978 (or possibly 1979), when my parents got me a couple of figures for Christmas.

Kidhuman
01-06-2007, 08:15 PM
Since 1978 (or possibly 1979), when my parents got me a couple of figures for Christmas.

Same for me, almost 30 years of it.

Rebo's_Guitarist
01-06-2007, 11:35 PM
Wow, either 19 or 20 for me........

bobafrett
01-06-2007, 11:54 PM
I was a bad boy, and my parents threw away a lot of what little I had collected at the time. Most of my collection is from 1997 and beyond.

2-1B
01-07-2007, 09:21 PM
I started around 1982, I believe...the first part of recovery is admitting you have a problem.

DarkArtist
01-08-2007, 01:28 PM
I been in the game since '77. the first figures I got were the early bird set for Christmas, I remember seeing the envelope and wondering where the figures were. it was later explained that Santa couldn't get the figures in time for Christmas so they would be arriving after. Sure enough, later in '78 a Christmas present was left on the dining room table with my name on it and a special message from Santa saying sorry for the delay and may the force be with you.

dindae
01-08-2007, 01:49 PM
I guess I started in '78. The first figure I can remeber getting was a C-3po I got because the family was moving to Tennessee when I was 5 back in early '79. Since I had a few figure before that I assume I started in 1978 but I get a little fussy with dates going that far back. :D

jedi master sal
01-08-2007, 02:49 PM
1977. Though sadly most of my vintage was tossed in the trash by my grandparents because they didn't want to store my stuff. I was only able to salvage one shoebox full of figs at the time. I have since lost that too. Now I'm lucky if I have 10-20 vintage pieces. All of which I would have bought in the last 5 years or so.

I was in on the modern line at the very beginning. Buff figures? What, who? Nonsense! They were still SW. And all we had at the time.

-Sal

vader68
01-08-2007, 03:54 PM
1977 for me, the first figures I got were Chewbacca and Princess leia. Only ones Toysrus had at the time. Even back then figures were sometimes hard to come by. I still have all my original Figs,Ships, and playsets from back then too.

Dark Marble
01-08-2007, 04:39 PM
Hey General_Grievous great topic. And I would have missed my official 10 year if you didn't mention it. Although the first Star Wars I got was Yoda, Lando and the Slave I for my sixth birthday back in 1981, I officially re-entered Star Wars collecting February of 1997 with Dash Rendar and the Outrider. I picked up the POTF2 Falcon, Han, Chewbacca, Luke, Obi Wan, and C3PO a month later and have been collecting ever since. What a run.

Rogue II
01-08-2007, 05:25 PM
I started in '77-'78 (whenever the first figures came out). For some reason, I quit sometime in '82, when I was 9. Between my parents moving and having 2 yonger brothers, most of my vintage figures are gone.

When the POTF2 line started, I was reluctant to start collecting. Obviously, I did start collecting them again. My girlfriend (now wife) bought me Boba Fett and R2-D2. Somehow, I avoided buying vehicles until they all started going on clearance at TRU and KB in 1998-99. After getting the preview Mace Windu, Preview STAP, and a few Episode 1 figs (a couple Darth Mauls and a Yoda), I decided to skip the prequel figures and stick with the OT.

Ji'dai
01-09-2007, 12:40 PM
I probably got my first Star Wars toys in 1978. I only stopped when the line was cancelled, but still reluctantly passed on a couple of POTF and DROIDS figures, and all the EWOKS ones.

I started collecting the modern toys from the beginning, when Galoob released the first MM's in Fall 1993.