PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Toyota Prius - 55 mpg!

Tycho
01-07-2007, 09:43 PM
Dude. I could drive from San Diego to Los Angeles on 2 gallons of gas!

I could drive to Las Vegas on 5 gallons and not have to refill when I came home (assuming a 20 gallon tank like my current Cherokee has - I didn't check the gas tank size on the Prius).

Plus the darn car is only $23,070 when fully-loaded. I could come up with probably over half that in my trade-in value.

I do wish I liked the design-look better. Toyota's hybrid SUV does not get even half the good mileage of the Prius. However, on this website, you can adjust the color and the black model looks alright: http://www.prius.com/

Anyway, got a favorite hybrid or something? Post 'em here with links. Sell us a car! hehe. (Pictures / links will help) 55 mpg is the fuel efficiency to beat (and don't get cute and post a picture of a bicycle!)

Blue2th
01-07-2007, 10:15 PM
I have seen these like many cars in the Ford dealership Body Shop I work in from various fender benders. I have painted a few (that's what I do) They are kinda ugly as you say. Though alot of cars are these days. I had heard from a collision expert (bodyman) that the battery array or cluster has to be replaced in five years or so depending on mileage, at $5,000 a pop. I could be wrong but it's worth checking out. I currently own three Toyotas. A 93 4x4 extra cab PU, an 86 2 wheel drive x-tra cab PU, and a little 86 Tercel SR5 4X4 Wagon, which I actually drove to SDCC. (Talk about nail-biting) I'm going to sell at least the two 86's (don't need two PU's) I think I'm going to buy a Yaris (at 40 mpg less possible battery troubles) as a commuter. Keep my black X-cab 4X4 cause it has low miles and it's a great truck. http://www.toyota.com/yaris/index.html?s_van=GM_TN_YARIS_INDEX

Tycho
01-07-2007, 10:43 PM
The Yaris looks best in the Barcelona Red Metallic I think. You?

El Chuxter
01-07-2007, 11:15 PM
Since some dummy smooshed my otherwise perfectly good 11-year old Tacoma, I'll likely have to be buying a new car soon. I've been leaning toward a Yaris. Great gas mileage, affordable; plus we already have a "family car," and Toyotas will last until they're wrecked. I'm not big on car brand loyalty, but those are some well-built cars.

Blue2th
01-07-2007, 11:32 PM
It does look good, but being at this elevation (5000 ft.) metallic paints fade. Well, the clear-coat that is over them anyways. I can repair them easily, and I do like the bright electric blue (hard to match) but I would probably go with white (easy repair) You would have no problem with any color where you are. I would get a hatch-back, bare bones with air and power steering only. Maybe a CD player I could put in later, and some nice rims. I saw a couple white ones around town being used as couriers, and they actually look the best. To me anyways. They are almost bug-like, but not feminine looking like the VW.

darthvyn
01-08-2007, 01:26 PM
well, if you don't like the prius you can get a camry with the hybrid synergy drive system as well... and if you don't like that, wait another year or so - toyota plans to have a hybrid option on every vehicle they make by 2009 or soemthing like that. that's pretty impressive - they seem to be the only auto manufacturer thinking about the future, at least a little bit...

the hatchback yaris is pretty sweet lookin... probably a pain in the butt to put a carseat in, which has become a major concern of mine in the last month - it just barely fits in my scion tC... and only in the center rear - anywhere else in the rear and it interferes with the recline of the front seats!

Jargo
01-08-2007, 03:32 PM
ugly. uglyuglyugly.

JediTricks
01-08-2007, 07:25 PM
The Prius' shape is not meant to be attractive, it's meant to minimize drag from the air, the less drag, the better the mileage - it makes a BIG difference there, the drag coefficient on the Prius is down to 0.26, the 2001 Honda Civic's drag coefficient is 7.34 while last year's Hummer H3 is 16.8.

My mom found the Tesla Roadster online http://teslamotors.com/index.php?js_enabled=1 (http://teslamotors.com/index.php?js_enabled=1) and we immediately went and checked it out at the LA Auto Show last month, it's very cool, it's an actual sports car that's all-electric, gets 250 miles per charge, only 3.5 hours to recharge, and their choice of batteries is a good one as it'll last over 100,000 miles perfectly and then will start to decline in quality slowly until you replace them.

Tycho
01-08-2007, 08:10 PM
How much is that Tesla Roadster? It's pricey, isn''t it?

And do you remember the rock band "Tesla" and their song "Signs?"

"Signs, Signs, everywhere I look there's signs ....crossing my mind" I don't remember all the lyrics. It would be funny to use for a car commercial though.

El Chuxter
01-08-2007, 08:26 PM
That was actually a cover of The Five-Man Electrical Band. :p

But Tesla still rocked. "Love Song" is a classic.

plasticfetish
01-08-2007, 10:27 PM
Prius = ugly? What modern car looks "nice" then? ;)

We debated between our Scion Xa and a Prius, but the Scion won because it was smaller, cheaper and just a little easier to get at the time (a year ago now.)

Love the Xa BTW, it's the perfect city car. I've looked at the Yaris since they've come out, and though they're very similar to the Xa, it's not quite as nice.

About the Prius, one thing that amazes me is the amount of cargo space you have when you lay the back seats down. I talked to a person who compared it to the hybrid Ford SUV thing, and the Ford had less room actually.

Jargo
01-08-2007, 10:40 PM
We have a:

Renault Mégane Dynamique dCi 86
5 door hatchback
Front wheel drive
0-62 mph 11.1 seconds
Maximum Speed - mph 115
Fuel Tank - 13 Gallons

Fuel consumption:
Combined - mpg 62.8
Urban - mpg 51.4
Extra Urban - mpg 70.6

Safest car in its class several years running.
More airbags than you know what to do with
Impact bars all over the show
Fantastic crumple zones that don't impact on the cab at all.
Built like a tank. Goes like a bat out of hell, cheap as cheese to run. :love:

Slicker
01-08-2007, 10:53 PM
I honestly don't give a rip about fuel economy. I'd MUCH rather have style (http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2078226) over functionality.

Blue2th
01-08-2007, 11:22 PM
I remember going up to one of the monthly meetings last summer at the Ford dealership where I work. They were showing a film on the new $43,000 to $62,000 Cobra, and how they were listening to their customers who wanted something much more out of the muscle-car Mustang. Everybody went ohh and ahh..... Just coming back from my vacation to San Diego Comic Con all I could think of was how I'd just paid over $3.00 a gallon driving to and from there, and how out of touch that meeting seemed from reality. Seems everyday I get behind one of those stinky F-350 Liviathan diesel trucks. There's a ton of them around here. (It's a manly thing I guess) What do these people haul around in the city to justify such huge beasts, their egos? I see them in a lot of driveways all shined up for city driving, and they're not hauling anything, just stinking up the place in their unregulated diesel emmissions. Between very numerous warranty repairs on top of the mileage, Ford is not selling very many F-350's these days (Duh!) Just recently they are coming out with a few models of cars to compete with Toyota etc. Like the Fusion and the new Edge.

Slicker
01-08-2007, 11:26 PM
Seems everyday I get behind one of those stinky F-350 Liviathan diesel trucks. There's a ton of them around here. (It's a manly thing I guess) What do these people haul around in the city to justify such huge beasts, their egos? I see them in a lot of driveways all shined up for city driving, and they're not hauling anything, just stinking up the place in their unregulated diesel emmissions.And here I thought I was the only person that thought that way (well, Cappy included).

I think they get big trucks to overcompensate for other areas that are lacking...

Blue2th
01-08-2007, 11:39 PM
And here I thought I was the only person that thought that way (well, Cappy included).

I think they get big trucks to overcompensate for other areas that are lacking...
I agree, and us guys driving little cars are under-compensating for shall we say areas that are not at all lacking........ I hate those F-350's,...wait till ya have to get a ladder to paint one after another, because the illegals are stealing them left and right. Number one vehicle on the stolen list right now. All it takes is a screwdriver. "That's Ford tough" I think they are making a run to or from the border in them :squareeye

plasticfetish
01-08-2007, 11:51 PM
We have a...That's nice! But I don't even know if they sell Renaults in the US anymore. (Used to have a friend in High School who's dad owned his own Renault shop. A French kid, who got kicked out of French class with me because we were rude to the a-hole teacher. I mean seriously... the kid was born in France and spoke French, but the teacher was failing him because he had cra**y grammar. Anyway, the kid dropped out of school to become a mechanic. Was making more than the prig teacher fixing cars at 16.) No, I just checked their Web site, they don't sell in the US (odd), but I see that they're teamed up with Nissan, so that may have something to do with it.

Jargo
01-09-2007, 11:11 AM
America prejudiced? surely not.....

If I had a choice, or the money I'd have several motors for different needs. Mini Cooper S for town runaround, The Megane modded out with the vampire body kit for city to city travel, Landrover Freelander for off road, one of those utility trucks for hauling carp around (possibly a Mitsubishi), and I'd love a '56 chevy corvette for fun. though an Aston Martin DBR 9 would be the ultimate lol

Gotta say functionality plays a major part in my choice of car owing to how dumb the drivers are over here. impact protection being a major point when considering. closely followed by emission control and fuel consumption. end of the day though comfort is a big point too. doesn't matter how good a car looks or whatever if it's a pain to drive for any distance. for example, Ford are just the most uncomfortable flimsy tin box cars I've ever been in. discounting cheapo carpy makes like Fiat and Nissan.

speaking of SUV's, the city of London introduced congestion charging in the city itself a while back, and now they've decided that if you drive an unneccesarily large vehicle around the city like an SUV gas guzzler you get charged premium rates which is aimed at getting those damn things off the roads as much as possible. Hopefully the scheme will catch on coutrywide. coz I'm so sick of women drivers in huge SUV's hogging the roads and their only cargo is one small pre-schooler kid. Off roader vehicles that don't go off road should be outlawed far as I'm concerned. four wheel drive round a town? yeesh!

mind you, if things escalate in the middle east we could all be back to horse and buggy anyway. won't that be fun....

CaptainSolo1138
01-09-2007, 11:36 AM
You hit the nail on the head, Blue2th. If you own a farm, a construction business or are a contractor of sorts otherwise, feel free to drive your F-950. It cracks me up when they haul around their diamond-plate toolbox (which is more than likely empty) and nothing else.

JediTricks
01-09-2007, 10:35 PM
How much is that Tesla Roadster? It's pricey, isn''t it?$92k stock, $100k fully loaded, they pre-sold out in months, not too shabby for an electric sportscar.

Prius = ugly? What modern car looks "nice" then? ;)

We debated between our Scion Xa and a Prius, but the Scion won because it was smaller, cheaper and just a little easier to get at the time (a year ago now.)

Love the Xa BTW, it's the perfect city car. I've looked at the Yaris since they've come out, and though they're very similar to the Xa, it's not quite as nice.Prius does indeed = ugly, and I'm afraid so does the Xa (which rips off its lines from the Toyota Matrix, an odd choice since the Matrix is ugly and unpopular). The Yaris is ugly and sad though, so you made the better choice there.

I like the Scion tC actually, it's sporty and wide-looking. There aren't many mainstream cars out there now that don't look like butt though, off the top of my head: Pontiac Solstice, Saturn Sky (built off the same chassis so not surprising they both look good), the BMW 6-series, the Dodge Charger and Magnum, the Toyota FJ Cruiser looks sorta nifty, the Cadillac XLR has something which makes me look every time it goes by even though I hate the current Cadillac design aesthetic, and the Mini ain't so bad. This leaves off higher-end cars like the Ford GT, Lotus Elise, Dodge Viper, Ferrari F430, etc..

French cars make the baby Jesus cry.

Jargo
01-09-2007, 11:23 PM
so only on december 25th then?

El Chuxter
01-10-2007, 10:49 AM
French cars make the baby Jesus cry.

Now you owe me three cents. :p

darthvyn
01-10-2007, 12:54 PM
I like the Scion tC actually, it's sporty and wide-looking.

it's wider looking when it's dropped. at stock height (where mine is...) it does sit a bit tall, which decreases the wide look. but driving around brooklyn with an inch drop is suicide, so it stays the way it is. that's not to mention the fact that i don't have the $$$ to do anything to the suspension...

i really love the car, though, and i never thought i'd love anything as much or more than my caprice classic.