PDA

View Full Version : Best moments of the Original Trilogy

tagmac
01-09-2007, 08:21 PM
OK, I apologize if one of these was already started, but I looked back and couldn't find one. Having seen the best Prequel moments thread brought back, I figured this would be a natural counterpart.

ANH
- The opening sequence, Star Destroyer vs. Tantive IV
- Luke staring into the sky - the music here is awesome, and you just know something big is coming, even though Luke is completely unaware
- The first scenes after meeting Han Solo on Tatooine - we get to see just what kind of reckless hotshot he is
- The end sequence of the Trench Battle, from when Vader first senses the Force in Luke, to Han Solo making the save

ESB
- The Battle on Hoth
- Luke learns the Force - these scenes bored me as a kid, but once I was old enough to appreciate them, Yoda's lines are extremely important and so well-delivered, you forget he's a puppet
- The asteroid sequence - a cool sequence, and one that further shows what a hotshot Han is
- Carbon Freezing Room sequence - the emotion here is extremely powerful, as you can see the Rebellion is at its lowest point before Luke arrives to begin turning the tide
- "No...I...am your father!" - how could anyone leave this part out?! :thumbsup:

ROTJ
- The Skiff Battle - my favorite part as a kid, and it's still pretty cool seeing Luke finally take charge
- All scenes with Palpatine - again, these bored me as a kid, but as an adult, I can really appreciate the dialogue and the emotion, as well as Ian McDiarmid's great acting, in these sequences
- The opening to the fleet battle, when they first come out of hyperspace and Lando has the pilots report in. The music is really cool here, and fits perfectly with what is happening
- The Ewoks attack - the way the music hits as the Ewoks blow their horns is awesome, and signals the end of the Empire is about to come

Kidhuman
01-09-2007, 09:17 PM
ANH

- The opening sequence, just wowwed me when i first saw it.
- The Cantina, so many different species of Aliens, the huge conglomeration of species was awesome
- The Death Star, nuff said
- The first saber battle of the Saga, was great, intense
- The end battle, Trench run, Han coming back
ESB

- Hoth Battle - Best scene in the OT period
- Luke finding what he "brought with him" in the tree cave
- Boba Fett
- Han getting frozen in Carbonite
- Luke finding out who is Daddy really is(as if the child support checks didnt specify)

ROTJ

- The Rancor monster
- The Sarlaac Battle
- The speeder bike chase
- The DS2 battle
- Luke "saving" Vader and Vader saving Luke
- Ewoks coming to aid their knew found friends

bigbarada
01-09-2007, 11:27 PM
I'm focusing on moments, not scenes. Each number one is my single favorite moment from each film. After that they are in no particular order, just typing them in as I remember them.

I read the novels and storybooks before seeing each film, so I knew all the big moments long before my first viewing of the movies. What I'm listing is the stuff that struck me as very powerful or just sticks in my head whenever I think of why I like these movies so much.

ANH

1. During the Death Star Battle, when Han sweeps in out of the blue, takes out Darth Vader and saves Luke's butt. It's one of those stand up and cheer moments and a perfect pay-off for the two hours the audience has invested in the movie.

2. When Han blasts Greedo, it's a defining moment in the movie. The audience instantly knows who Han is and what he's capable of.

3. Artoo's "empty trash can" flop to the ground after getting zapped by the Jawas

4. In the Sandcrawler, when the main doors open and you see the Power Droid running away from the noise.

5. When Wedge says, "Cover me Porkins!" Then it cuts to a fat Rebel Pilot.:D

ESB

1. During the Hoth battle, as the tide turns in the Empire's favor, you see two AT-AT's and one of them looks right at the camera. That's when you really feel the power of the Empire.

2. Pretty much all of the asteroid chase, it's a million times more exciting than Ep2's asteroid chase. I think the music is responsible for that.

3. Captain Piett trying to look unconcerned and pay attention to Vader's instructions as Admiral Ozzel dies on the floor next to him. lol

4. In the Wampa cave, when Luke has just cut himself free from the ice, he's chops off the Wampa's arm and runs as fast as he can. You can really feel the fear and frantic-ness of the moment. Then the Special Edition comes along, adds all the extra shots of the Wampa and completely ruins the moment.:upset:

5. Artoo's little "sailor tune" when he's swimming through the Dagobah swamp, just before getting swallowed by the creature.

6. Luke's "You're lucky you don't taste very good," line, after R2 is spit out of the swamp monster.

ROTJ

1. The A-Wing Pilot's kamikaze dive into the Super Star Destroyer killing Admiral Piett and delivering the first crippling blow to the Death Star (although the actual crash of the Super Star Destroyer into the Death Star is less than impressive)

2. Lando's "YEEEHAAWWW!" after just barely escaping the Death Star explosion.

3. After Wedge and Lando take out the Death Star core, you see TIE Fighters following them out. I always felt sorry for those guys, because at this point they could care less about allegiance to the Empire, they just want to get out of there!

4. Vader's reveal, the moment when his helmet comes off and we see Anakin for the very first time (assuming you watch the movies in the proper order)

5. Vader's redemption, those few seconds of him looking back and forth between the Emperor and his dying son. He makes his decision, lunges at the Emperor as the music swells and the Emperor screams. Great moment!

General_Grievous
01-14-2007, 07:30 PM
I just gotta give this the ole "top ten" treatment.

Top Ten Moments of the Original Trilogy

10. "Apology accepted, Captain Needa." (ESB)
This was a great Vader moment of the OT. This was Vader at his most villainous and this is why he's the ultimate villain.

9. The Cantina (ANH)
Seeing all of the aliens was pretty cool, but the real meat of the scene is when Han shoots Greedo, then throws a coin at Wuher, saying "sorry about the mess."

8. Space Battle over Endor (ROTJ)
The kamikaze A-Wing, Nien Nunb, "It's a trap!". This was a great space battle.

7. The Battle of Hoth (ESB)
Because of the AT-ATs. Everyone loves the AT-ATs.

6. Yoda Lifts the X-Wing (ESB)
Just hearing Yoda's theme blaring as he demonstrated his awesome power was enough to make you forget he was a puppet.

5. The Trench Run (ANH)
Just the tense build-up of the scene and Han coming to the rescue made this a great climax.

4. The Opening Crawl (ANH)
The crawl is great, but you're hooked the second the Tantive IV and Star Destroyer fly overhead. Best experienced on a big screen. With surround sound.

3. "I love you." "I know." (ESB)
This was why every boy wanted to be Han Solo. Plus, you feel Chewie's pain as Han is lowered into the carbon chamber.

2. Anakin saves his son (ROTJ)
You can almost see Anakin turning from the Dark Side when he looks from his master to his son until finally he fulfills the prophecy by killing Palpatine and bringing balance to the Force.

1. "No...I am your father!" (ESB)
What's left to be said about this that hasn't been said already? This is the defining moment of the entire saga. It just has so much more meaning if you watch the OT before the PT.

bigbarada
01-14-2007, 08:07 PM
This was why every boy wanted to be Han Solo. Plus, you feel Chewie's pain as Han is lowered into the carbon chamber.

Good one! :thumbsup: I forgot about this. The great thing is, it wasn't in the script. Han was supposed to say "I love you, too." but Harrison Ford just ad libbed it at Irvin Kerschner's request (maybe they should keep Lucas off the set more often).

Lucas loves to toot his own horn, but Harrison Ford is really one of the biggest reasons that Star Wars (and Indiana Jones) is what it is today.

2-1B
01-14-2007, 11:39 PM
ETBFE:

- Teek planting that card up the marauder's sleeve so that the two gamblers would go Greedo on each other.

- Noah wielding his wooden walking staff against Terek's sword.

- Terek looking like a decomposing skeleton and haunting my dreams for 5 years.

JimJamBonds
01-16-2007, 12:14 AM
ROTJ: Luke getting to see his old man when he was a young pup.

DarkArtist
01-17-2007, 12:46 PM
Ok Let's see:

A New Hope:

Star Destroyer vs Tantive IV- great scene and it still sends chills down my back seeing the destroyer crawling over the screen

This is the Weapon of the Jedi Knight - Luke ignites his father's lightsaber. great scene and special to me, reminds me of getting something important from either my father or grandfather.

The Cantina - as a kid this was also a cool scene because it made me want to travel the stars and see if their really is alien life.

The Space Battle - words cannot describe the joy of seeing dozens of starfighters zooming across the screen in a deadly dogfight for the galaxy.

The Empire Strikes Back:

Imperial Walkers destroy the Rebel Base - just awesome to see the effects in that sequence. the minute the walkers first appeared on the screen I hoped that Hasbro would release a Walker Toy.

Into the Asteriods - Never tell me the odds, this is one of those scenes that keep me at the edge of my seat.

The Dark Side Cave - very haunting scene especially when Vader's mask explodes and reveals Luke's face.

Luke Leaves Dagobah - even though he knows he failed in the cave and Yoda warns him not to leave, the scene is still one that stays true to the human spirit. the choices we make effect everything and everyone.

Duel a Dark Lord - I am your Father - again still sends chills down my spine. the delivery of the line could not have been any better. everytime I watch that scene I can feel Luke's pain and anguish of losing his hand and discovering a horrible truth.

Return of the Jedi:

The Death Star will be Operational as planned - the huge rotted out metal tooth hanging above the forest moon of Endor. as a kid I always thought that it was the remains of the Death Star destroyed in Star Wars. wasn't until I read the novel that I learned the truth.

Two Words : Gold Bikini - I had the hugeous crush on Princess Leia that the moment the scene hit the big screen, it would be forever etched into my mind as the greatest picture of beauty ever to hit a fanboy's heart.

Luke battles Jabba's guards - here we see an unarmed Luke about to jump into the Sarlacc when Artoo fires over a new lightsaber and a flash of green lightes up the screen and Luke is a Jedi in action.

Racing Through the Forest - can anyone not love the whole speeder bike chase - wanted a real one.

The Rebel Fleet attacks the Second Death Star - just another great space battle and the shock everyone in the theater recieves when the battle station fires the prime weapon.

Luke vs Vader round 2: - again, I am a huge fan of the lightsaber duels and loved the score when Vader threatens to turn Leia to the dark side - the fury in Skywalker as he attacks with anger

Darth Vader is no More - The ending of Jedi with the Funeral Pyre and the return of Anakin, always brings a tear to my eye (even the Hayden re-do)

Rogue II
01-17-2007, 06:01 PM
ANH:
"You're all clear, kid!" - Han returns in the Falcon to take out Vader so Luke can finish his trench run.

Luke and Leia's swing across the canyon.

ESB:
Yoda reveals his idenity to Luke.

"I am your father." - 'nuf said.

ROTJ:
Ewok counter-attack.

Vader changes sides.

Slicker
01-17-2007, 08:02 PM
I knew I had started a similar (yet different) thread (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=25483) about this.

I'll just copy and paste from it.

My favorite is only about 3 seconds long and happens in Empire. During the Battle of Hoth right after Gen. Veers asks the distance to the power generator and gets the answer "1-7 decimal 2-8" a snowspeeder comes in at the AT-AT he's commanding and the AT-AT kicks out it's rear leg and rocks back on it and fires the side guns of the cockpit and takes out the speeder. For some reason this has always been my favorite scene because of how such a big machine can do such a precise move to get a better footing. It's by no stretch a main scene in the movie but it's the little things like that that make the SW movies great to watch.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-19-2007, 09:14 PM
Yes. Ten is a good number for lists...

TOP TEN MOMENTS OT IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER
1. Han running into a dead end in the Death Star corridor (my favorite scene to recreate as a kid... I mastered the fall-back-in-shock technique)
1. Luke whaling on Vader's arm in DS2 (I thought, "man, he's mad! " when I first saw it)
1. Luke trying to get out of his crashed speeder on Hoth (I knew he'd make it, but it was closer than I figured)
1. Han frozen in carbonite (that eerie orange glow, cool sound effects, uncertain outcome)
1. seeing the snow walkers advance (that was just so cool, still is)
1. Leia in the slave outfit (I mean, c'mon...)
1. asteroid chase in ESB (that was some cool flying)
1. the trash compactor (I hate small places, but that was a well-shot scene with neat dialogue [for a kid] and suspense)
1. Luke in the cave (weird slo-mo action and odd music)
1. Luke and Vader saber fight in the carbon freezing chamber (see 4th #1 above)

Qui-Long Gone
01-23-2007, 10:40 PM

Top Ten Moments of the Original Trilogy

10. "Apology accepted, Captain Needa." (ESB)
This was a great Vader moment of the OT. This was Vader at his most villainous and this is why he's the ultimate villain.

9. The Cantina (ANH)
Seeing all of the aliens was pretty cool, but the real meat of the scene is when Han shoots Greedo, then throws a coin at Wuher, saying "sorry about the mess."

8. Space Battle over Endor (ROTJ)
The kamikaze A-Wing, Nien Nunb, "It's a trap!". This was a great space battle.

7. The Battle of Hoth (ESB)
Because of the AT-ATs. Everyone loves the AT-ATs.

6. Yoda Lifts the X-Wing (ESB)
Just hearing Yoda's theme blaring as he demonstrated his awesome power was enough to make you forget he was a puppet.

5. The Trench Run (ANH)
Just the tense build-up of the scene and Han coming to the rescue made this a great climax.

4. The Opening Crawl (ANH)
The crawl is great, but you're hooked the second the Tantive IV and Star Destroyer fly overhead. Best experienced on a big screen. With surround sound.

2. Anakin saves his son (ROTJ)
You can almost see Anakin turning from the Dark Side when he looks from his master to his son until finally he fulfills the prophecy by killing Palpatine and bringing balance to the Force.

1. "No...I am your father!" (ESB)
What's left to be said about this that hasn't been said already? This is the defining moment of the entire saga. It just has so much more meaning if you watch the OT before the PT.

Absolutely Right On!:thumbsup: I wish to quickly add two honorable mentions: Leia in Jabba's palace (both her outfit to my young eyes and that freaking awsome fat Jabba puppet), and Luke facing the suns of Tatooine...it said everything about the hero, the soul of the movie, the need for fantasy film and the quality of our beloved epic!

2-1B
01-23-2007, 11:07 PM
Jar Jar celebrating in ROTJ was always a favorite of mine. :)

Qui-Long Gone
01-30-2007, 12:29 AM
Jar Jar celebrating in ROTJ was always a favorite of mine. :)

When Lucas released the original theatrical versions this past fall, I accidentally burnt my OT special editions....so I missed the Jar Jar boogie..... Was that before or after he spit first at Han Solo? :pleased: ;) lol :yes:

JEDIpartner
02-14-2007, 11:53 AM
10. When my dad jumped out of his seat as the Tantive IV flew across the screen.

9. When I knew Vader was Luke's father before everyone else 'cos I read the graphic novel.

8. When my friend Tim laughed so hard at Salacious Crumb that soda pop came shooting out his nose.

7. When the woman next to me gasped "Oh, no! It's Vader" when it was really Lando coming out to greet Han, Leia, Chewie and Threepio and I laughed at her.

6. When my dad picked us up from school and drove us to see Jedi on the day it came out-- we sat in the bed of the pick-up.

5. When my friend Bryan kept mispronouncing the planet names because he's a half-wit and Tim punched him each time he said "Aldernan" or "Dragobah".

4. When my friend Jon chewed up the black Jujyfruits and was throwing them at people in the audience.

3. When they brainlessly paired A New Hope up with Meatballs for the rerelease at one of the Drive-ins.

2. When the ridiculously loud sound from the next theatre that was showing Rollercoaster in "Sensurround" stopped and I could actually hear the dialogue the first time I saw A New Hope in 1977.

1. When some little girl started crying the first time Jabba appeared on-screen and she had to be removed from the theatre.

JimJamBonds
02-15-2007, 12:15 AM
All good stuff there JP but I have to say this was my favorite....

7. When the woman next to me gasped "Oh, no! It's Vader" when it was really Lando coming out to greet Han, Leia, Chewie and Threepio and I laughed at her.

Qui-Long Gone
02-15-2007, 10:43 AM
Brilliant pairing....:yes:

3. When they brainlessly paired A New Hope up with Meatballs for the rerelease at one of the Drive-ins.

JEDIpartner
02-15-2007, 12:54 PM
Of course, in typical form, I just had to take a different approach to the "favourite moments" thread. These were some of my personal memories of things that were happening with and around me and involving the films. I remember these moments so well and they bring me a sort of weird joy.

I guess another thing I remember is waiting in the Mentor Mall concourse for over two-hours to see A New Hope the first time. I remember being so excited that I didn't care about it. I looked at the weird fountain, the plastic patio furniture store, the wooden ceiling beams and the darkly glazed brick flooring for the entire time and just knowing it would be something amazing.

Dar' Argol
02-15-2007, 01:21 PM
That is great JP. Sometimes its the external things that make a lasting impression. Like my daughter the first time she saw Vader . . "He's a bad bad man isn't he daddy?"

*sniff sniff* they grow up sooo fast!

JEDIpartner
02-15-2007, 01:24 PM
Ha-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a!!!!! I want to give the little bug a big hug!!! :) What a doll!!

2-1B
02-16-2007, 10:19 PM
When Lucas released the original theatrical versions this past fall, I accidentally burnt my OT special editions....so I missed the Jar Jar boogie..... Was that before or after he spit first at Han Solo? :pleased: ;) lol :yes:

During, actually, because Han flew out to Naboo after the DS blew up and Jar Jar spit at Han while dancing and shouting "weesa free!" :)

JP, I like your approach....I'm gonna try to bang out a similar Top Ten, good thinking sir. :thumbsup:

JEDIpartner
02-27-2007, 12:20 PM
I told my friend Bruce what I had posted. Some of you may remember him as the "bald gay guy" at C3 SSG meets in the evenings. Anyhow, he was so inspired by my top 10 list that he knocked out one of his own...

BRUCE RANDALL'S TOP 10

10. The ride home FROM seeing A New Hope for the first time. The ride was 45 minutes and we talked about the movie the WHOLE time.

9. Opening Time magazine a week before Jedi opened, seeing a photo of Jabba the Hutt, and thinking....what the hell? LOL

8. Darth Vader through ALL of Empire Strikes Back. This was not the Vader of A New Hope. Vader is hell-bent on getting Luke and the rebellion. He'll stop at nothing....

7. Sneaking into Return of the Jedi after sitting through half of Spacehunter in 3-D. My friend Danny said it was going to be better than Jedi. Boy, was he wrong..

6. The phone call from my friend Jim. I loaned him the Empire novel ( which I hadn't read yet ) He had to tell me Vader was Luke's father

5. Seeing the trailers for both Empire and Jedi.

4. Seeing that Star Destroyer go overhead at the opening of A New Hope. I turned to my friend Danny and we both grinned ear to ear.

3. Seeing all three movies on the same day at a local theatre in 1991. It was a benefit showing, all three back to back. I think it had been a long time since anyone saw the movies in the theatre and it showed. The audience was nuts!! I loved it....

2. The ride TO the theatre showing A New Hope. I was raining so hard, we had to pull over a few times. My mom's car stalled once, and she almost turned around. We begged enough to change her mind, thankfully..

1. Seeing Return of the Jedi at the theatre for the first time still ranks as my best and happiest movie going experience EVER. It was the first time I saw an audience cheer and applaude a film throughout. ( I even saw someone get out of his seat and cheer when vader saves his son from the Emperor ). To this day, I still haven't had as much fun at the movies as I did on that day....