PDA

View Full Version : CG Animation final project

bigbarada
01-10-2007, 05:58 AM
Waaaay back in fall of 2004, I took an Introduction to 3D Animation class. I fell in love with it almost instantly and this movie was my final project for the class. It came out pretty good, there're some things that I wish I could fix; but I really can't anymore.

The robot model was initially built in Maya 5.0, but it was rigged and animated in Maya 6.0. Just basic blinn and lambert shaders on the robot himself, with some dielectric material in the green orb in his chest (that doesn't really show up very well). It was rendered in Mental Ray with an HDRI. Global illumination, final gather, raytraced shadows, all that good stuff.

It took about 3-4 months to build the model and rig it, three weeks to render, then a couple days to edit it together (although I wish my editing was a little tighter in some spots).

http://s28.photobucket.com/albums/c201/Barada73/?action=view&current=blinkermovie.flv

Jargo
01-10-2007, 10:40 AM
I likes that. very clever. :)

Kidhuman
01-10-2007, 10:45 AM
Pretty nice, was he on Tatooine?

bigbarada
01-10-2007, 02:04 PM
Thanks guys, here's a more detailed render of the robot, but it was done a few months later and I had added a very basic texture and bump map by then.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c201/Barada73/BLINKER.jpg

The landscape was supposed to be White Sands in New Mexico (as kind of a promo piece for the college) but I started adding the big rocks and dead trees and it just turned into a sparse alien landscape (I didn't model the rocks or trees, BTW, those were made by a friend of mine, Eric Hanson, who did some effects work for The 5th Element, Castaway and The Day After Tomorrow - they're real basic geometry, but I want to give credit where credit is due).

I've also attached images from a different project. Before I was designing and running the website for UFC Fighter Matt Hughes, I was building a 3D model of him in the computer for two semesters worth of work. It's been a long and slow process and I'm still nowhere near finished. After almost a year, this is as far as I've gotten.

Loooong way to go yet.

Jargo
01-10-2007, 07:22 PM
Blinker is cool. I want an action figure of that robot now. And the rendering on the skin of that wrestler dude is awesome. the front of the torso in that second pic looks real. Bodacious dude!

bigbarada
01-10-2007, 08:16 PM
Blinker is cool. I want an action figure of that robot now. And the rendering on the skin of that wrestler dude is awesome. the front of the torso in that second pic looks real. Bodacious dude!

Let me get the feature film done first, then we can talk about action figures.;)

Now I just need to find someone to loan me $100 million.:(

Rocketboy
01-10-2007, 08:19 PM
Ask Slicker. I think he's loaded.

El Chuxter
01-10-2007, 08:50 PM
Shoot, I've probably got $100-$200 million in change in my other pants.

CaptainSolo1138
01-11-2007, 12:39 PM
Very cool, Big B! Blinker kinda reminded me of the Iron Giant. Was that intentional?

bigbarada
01-11-2007, 02:34 PM
Very cool, Big B! Blinker kinda reminded me of the Iron Giant. Was that intentional?

Not at all. I did my first sketch of Blinker while in the Army. I was on radio watch in Bosnia back in '96, it was a slow night so I sketched out a robot design inspired by a Jack Kirby drawing from an early, early issue of Fantastic Four.

I was developing a story with Blinker and my main superhero character, Stump (see link), when Iron Giant came out in 1999. I noticed the similarities instantly and kind of shelved the project for several years.

Here's a 3D model of Stump, who now bears a striking resemblance to that guy from the Incredibles (this forum needs a 'banging head on wall' smilie):

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c201/Barada73/STUMP2.jpg

Jargo
01-11-2007, 07:13 PM
Stump has better hair though.

CaptainSolo1138
01-11-2007, 08:06 PM
inspired by a Jack Kirby drawingI'm by no means an "Iron Giant" expert (I've never even seen the movie) but wasn't he, too, inspired by Kirby?

bigbarada
01-11-2007, 08:33 PM
Stump has better hair though.

Here's a closer look at the hair. We didn't have the hair simulation software at our school at the time, so I was forced to try to find a more creative solution to the hair. I definitely didn't want him to have Jimmy Neutron hair. So what I ended up with is this polygon strip hair.

Unfortunately, I built it in Maya 7.0 and I only have Maya 6.0 on my computer at home, so I can't get any new renders until I get my laptop back from the farm.

bigbarada
01-11-2007, 08:39 PM
I'm by no means an "Iron Giant" expert (I've never even seen the movie) but wasn't he, too, inspired by Kirby?

It's possible, it would explain why we both ended up with such similar designs, thousands of miles and years apart.

Brad Bird wrote the screenplay and directed The Iron Giant; he also wrote and directed The Incredibles and worked on several episodes of The Simpsons.

Jargo
01-12-2007, 06:56 AM
*speechless*

ok not so speechless i can't say I'm mighty impressed and jealous of your talents. And the hair, well even the big animation studios have faced problems with hair. I seem to remember one Dreamworks project used a simple hair generator to make the grass seen throughout the movie. And look how much time and effort it took to get the hair on Sully in Monsters Inc. to work.

bobafrett
01-12-2007, 06:58 AM
Big B, all I can say is "Awesome"!

El Chuxter
01-12-2007, 10:09 AM
That is itching-bay, dude. :mabs:

(Sadly, that smiley doesn't work here, but it's a headbanging wicked smiley.)

BTW, The Iron Giant was loosely based on an old kids' novel by Ted Hughes (yes, the Ted Hughes, former Poet Laureate of England and the guy who drove his wife Sylvia Plath more insane than she already was). I don't know if the original images looked like the film, though. So I'll go along with everyone and say his look was inspired by Kirby. (Hey, what in comics isn't inspired by Kirby at some level?)

HanSololol
01-12-2007, 02:00 PM
this is bad az